Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Central Command

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Central Command!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Central Command

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Posts

  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    One big thing my kids had taught me when it comes to movies, videos games, or TV shows. It's ok to just like things.

  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Canon or Legends?!

    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    One big thing my kids had taught me when it comes to movies, videos games, or TV shows. It's ok to just like things.

    But you don't understand, they're having fun wrong!

  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Its something the internet does that drives me nuts. Its ok to not like things, its ok to like things, what I hate is when people try and evangelize and convince you, your opinion is wrong and they are the correct opinion holder on something that is literally 100% subjective.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I loved Rogue One. It's probably my second favorite Star Wars film behind Empire.

    But I haven't watched Andor, because they haven't convinced me of why I should want to. Cassian Andor was not that compelling of a character to me. Just opinion. But I was not clamoring for more Cassian content. I was okay with him having a bit of a mysterious and questionable past. I didn't need all the details. I was okay with what they gave us. And I'm not convinced that a show that fills in those gaps is even necessary.

  • Options
    SirBillSirBill Denver, CORegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I loved Rogue One. It's probably my second favorite Star Wars film behind Empire.

    But I haven't watched Andor, because they haven't convinced me of why I should want to. Cassian Andor was not that compelling of a character to me. Just opinion. But I was not clamoring for more Cassian content. I was okay with him having a bit of a mysterious and questionable past. I didn't need all the details. I was okay with what they gave us. And I'm not convinced that a show that fills in those gaps is even necessary.

    Don't come for the Cassian background, come for the awesome wartime spy thriller set in the Star Wars universe that shows both rebel and empire factions maneuvering, politically and physically....

    Cassian is just a thread in a rich tapestry here. It is chock full of great actors and great writing, with a dash of awesome set design.

    This is the kind of Star Wars show I have wanted for a long time, the Star Wars universe is awesome and here you get to see real people at work within it, without all of the magic kind of stuff propping it up.

    Warning that it is a bit of a slow burn, historical drama is a really good description from Penny Arcade. But if you are tired of Marvel loud punchy nonsense this is a really refreshing show to watch.

    I don't think every show needs to be like this, I do like watch Jedi cavort as well at times. but I am really glad a show like this exists.

  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Exactly the above. This is a Star Wars Spy Thriller and it's fabulous for it.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    hibryd7hibryd7 Registered User regular
    This feels very similar to the PATV episode about "Darth Andeddu".
    Didn't fly then, doesn't fly now :neutral: It's like a 4-year-old's idea of creative writing.

    "Hey Timmy, what's this guy called you drew?"
    "He's like a really powerful bad guy that can like summon zombies and stuff, his name is Darth Undead-dude. But he doesn't bring back people who died from using death sticks."
    "Death sticks?"
    "They're like drugs but drugs are always bad and will always kill you so I call them death sticks. But yea, not even a mean guy like Undead-dude will mess with people who turned their lives to poodoo with death sticks."

  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    The end result is that, in the most public spaces we have, actually discussing reality is impossible. I wonder how long such a state of affairs could possibly continue.

    As do I, Tycho. As do I.

  • Options
    jberryjberry longtime reader firsttime poster Fort Smith Ark USARegistered User regular
    Something incredibly frustrating about discussing Star Wars...is that, should you...criticize a product made by one of the most powerful media corporations...[then certain people will say that] the only conceivable reason is that you harbor some kind of evil politics. It even happens in the inverse...I suggested that Andor is...good science fiction...[and I got] accused of being a mindless consumer, the vanguard of some "progressive" cadre with its own wicked schemes for dominance.

    this thesis has its politics backwards
    • practical criticism is inimical to a conservative ideology
    • a conservative ideology directs consumers to say yes to whatever insipid nonsense that is served to the body politic as if it were culture
    • conservative ideology calls for a monoculture
    • a progressive ideology has critical thinking as one of its core principles
    • progressive ideas are robust enough to withstand examination and debate
    • a progressive ideology endorses multiple cultural perspectives

    conservatism insists upon uncritical acceptance
    progressivism welcomes critical reasoning

  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    jberry wrote: »
    Something incredibly frustrating about discussing Star Wars...is that, should you...criticize a product made by one of the most powerful media corporations...[then certain people will say that] the only conceivable reason is that you harbor some kind of evil politics. It even happens in the inverse...I suggested that Andor is...good science fiction...[and I got] accused of being a mindless consumer, the vanguard of some "progressive" cadre with its own wicked schemes for dominance.

    this thesis has its politics backwards
    • practical criticism is inimical to a conservative ideology
    • a conservative ideology directs consumers to say yes to whatever insipid nonsense that is served to the body politic as if it were culture
    • conservative ideology calls for a monoculture
    • a progressive ideology has critical thinking as one of its core principles
    • progressive ideas are robust enough to withstand examination and debate
    • a progressive ideology endorses multiple cultural perspectives

    conservatism insists upon uncritical acceptance
    progressivism welcomes critical reasoning

    I don't think anything you've said shows Jerry has things backwards. He's saying one group of people accuse you of claiming you like a show with a diverse cast because you're trying to be performatively woke. Further, he's saying another group of people accuse you of being anti-woke if you claim you dislike a show with a diverse cast.

    This is a solid statement. It's not saying those people are right to jump to these conclusions. He's explicitly decrying the flabby reasoning at work. You can like or dislike a show for other reasons.

    dennis on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    It becomes very hard to say, "This film has structural and cinematography issues that I want to discuss," when everyone agreeing with you is typing in all caps about something else.

    See also: literally all the modern Star Treks. Want to talk about Discovery's pacing and framing? Nope now the threads talking about the gay guys and their adopted trans daughter and her trans boyfriend who lives in her brain and you don't get to pick your side because DJTgowokegobroke69 picked it for you. Want to talk about Picard's problems tying up plot threads at the end of the season? Yeah and also there's a lesbian glad we agree about all things my hetero brother.

    It is exhausting and it's why the only place I talk about most things I like is this forum and even here I'm picky about threads.

    Hevach on
  • Options
    Emperor MegamanEmperor Megaman Registered User regular
    I'm not well versed in Star Wars lore at all, so i need to know: Is the poodoo thing something they made up for this strip or is it a actual things?

  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I'm not well versed in Star Wars lore at all, so i need to know: Is the poodoo thing something they made up for this strip or is it a actual things?

    It's an actual made up thing. But not by PA.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK5uVE6v8_I

    dennis on
Sign In or Register to comment.