As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] Thread - Persona 3 now available!

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Ianator wrote: »
    Steam needs more Metal Gear Solid. I only played like two minutes of the MGS2 demo that came with Zone of the Enders on PS2 and I wanna experience the madness.

...Or just build model kits of the nuclear railgun-wielding giant robots and their progeny.

I mean, MGS1 and MGS2 are on GOG.

It's criminal that MGS3 never came to PC (officially).

It came out on frikken 3DS (that's how I played it the first time) but never on PC.

If Konami wasn't such a shitshow they should've gone the Resident Evil remake route with MGS1-3 for modern systems.

Given how they're ramping up on Silent Hill, it might still happen

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Not all games need noncritical bugs fixed at all cost.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    MugsleyshdwcastercB557KalnaurWerewolf2000ad
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Steam forums say otherwise.

KarozMugsleyKalnaurMorninglord
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Steam needs more Metal Gear Solid. I only played like two minutes of the MGS2 demo that came with Zone of the Enders on PS2 and I wanna experience the madness.

...Or just build model kits of the nuclear railgun-wielding giant robots and their progeny.

I mean, MGS1 and MGS2 are on GOG.

GOG only has MSX Metal Gear and MGS1.

MGS2 got pulled from all digital retailers on all platforms sometime this past year. Konami said over the summer that it would be back soon, but nothing has showed up yet.

I was fortunate enough to impulse buy the HD collection on Xbox a couple months before it was delisted.

Ugh, I was forgetting that about MGS2.

Yeah, Konami pulled it and MGS3 because of licensing issues with FMV content in both games, saying they'd have it sorted and them back on sale in a few weeks IIRC? It's been many months at least now and not a peep.

I too grabbed the digital Xbox collection shortly before it was pulled when it was on sale for like £3, despite already having a physical copy. Glad I did. But those games deserve to be available again.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Against the Storm is a city manager that has a nice feel to it.

You are a servant of the Scorched queen who goes out and sets up settlements for her.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1336490/Against_the_Storm/
    Against the Storm is a roguelite city builder set in a vibrant fantasy world tormented by everlasting rain. You are the Scorched Queen’s Viceroy — a pioneer sent into the wilds to establish and manage new settlements inhabited by humans, beavers, lizards, and harpies. Every city you build will be different; every set of challenges set by the Queen will be unique.

Your goal is to survive long enough to gather the valuable resources necessary to rebuild and upgrade the Smoldering City. But the Blightstorm always comes back. Can you fulfill the Queen's demands before the rain destroys your city and the cycle starts again? Do you have what it takes to stand Against the Storm?

The gameplay loop of the first tutorial felt decent, the queen slowly doling out tech felt right

KarozDonnictonkimeElvenshae
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    This demo fest reminds me I have 3 older demos installed I haven't played yet

Kalnaur
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

I'm not sure what this is about, but as someone with a four figure backlog of JIRA issues to be fixed, I can only assure you I laughed very loudly.

IoloshdwcasterDrovekan_altMorninglordElvenshae
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Some people get angry when devs patch out bugs, especially if they were part of the "game experience" or used by speedrunners. You simply can't please everyone.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Fencingsax
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I remember there was a bug in some of the impressions games that essentially at the highest difficulty made cities very difficult to start because certain penalties would compound to the point that immigration would be near zero, and it was clearly unintended (to the point where developers and people who had access to the code said it was a bug but because it was workaroundable and not caught until after the last patch was released would probably never be fixed).

It was a big controversy when people started doing source ports/open source engine conversions of caesar 3, like Julius and Augustus (which as a side Augustus is really awesome if you liked later games like pharoah and zeus but never could get into caesar 3 because if QOL issues/lack of features). So much of the high level community had put effort into devising strategies to work around the issue while still leaving you in a good position to continue that they considered it part of the game.

• EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

When he answers the phone and yells "TIME" I lost it

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
    Karozcardboard delusions
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I decided to download Emudeck, but boy do I not Linux good. Is it as simple as moving emulators over to the core folder?

Yeah I found the process more complicated than I was originally led to believe it was. Thankfully there were Youtube videos and stuff.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    I know the meme is to put Doom on every software imaginable, but come on...

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    cB557RoyceSraphimcj iwakuraSyngyneBetsunirahkeesh2000ShadowfireIanatorIoloJazzkimeElvenshaeel_vicioStormwatcher
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Hmmmm seems like it'd be more appropriate for Vi.

steam_sig.png
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    It may be displaying through Notepad, but no way is notepad running any code. Some doomengine is hacked to output ASCII to a text file and Notepad is refreshing like mad. It's like that pregnancy test from a while back. Rigging something to be a display does not mean it's "running" Doom anymore than looking at a telescope pointed at your monitor is"running doom on a telescope."

</curmudgeon>

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    PolaritieMNC DoverFencingsaxcB557BetsuniShadowfireAnteCantelopeSiliconStewcooljammer00el_vicio
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    McMoogle wrote: »

Making someone play DOOM with vim controls is too cruel.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
    PolaritieDrovekrahkeesh2000cardboard delusions
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

:idkfa<esc>

5gsowHm.png
    McMooglean_altDrovekrahkeesh2000JazzFencingsaxkimeElvenshaeKoopahTroopah
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    They really outdid themselves on the Double Dragon remixes in Trilogy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CItyGWO0IG8

wVEsyIc.png
    Commander ZoomDanHibiki
    Watching Univision at the bar last night, marveled that there isn't something overwhelmingly Latin/Hispanic that someone brings up on steam...besides guacamelee, or the sheer amount of stuff done in Crusader Kings as a whole.

Anyway, Against the Storm keeps crashing, but the gameplay loop of hoping I have enough beaver men to work the lumber yards and not having to rely on humans is a delightful thing.

Finally got to trapper camps and could put my lizard men to work.

Elvenshae
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

ce6gniwebdq3.png

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    rahkeesh2000an_altRoyceSraphimIanatorJazzFencingsaxMNC DoverMcMooglecj iwakuraElvenshaeKruite
  • shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Watching Univision at the bar last night, marveled that there isn't something overwhelmingly Latin/Hispanic that someone brings up on steam...besides guacamelee, or the sheer amount of stuff done in Crusader Kings as a whole.

Anyway, Against the Storm keeps crashing, but the gameplay loop of hoping I have enough beaver men to work the lumber yards and not having to rely on humans is a delightful thing.

Finally got to trapper camps and could put my lizard men to work.

Perhaps something like this might be what you're looking for? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1456630/Dawn_of_the_Mexica/

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Okay, Unity engine crashed twice in the last few hours, but its still damn fun.

Finally got out the tutorial of the second town and got into the actual loop.

Against the storm
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1336490/Against_the_Storm/
    There is a city called the scorched city, ruled by the scorched queen. Every year, the blight storm comes and ravages everything not inside her shield. You are one of her viceroys who goes out, sets up settlements, and sends swag back to the city to develop it.

Its a roguelight village management sim. Your dungeon dive is going out into each region, setting up outpost and filling your renown meter until it is done. There is also a queen's wrath (they call it displeasure but I like wrath) meter counting up as time goes on. I do not think you can really knock it down, just slow it. So you've got this interplay of developing the village with missions fast enough that the queen gets pissed.

But the regions you are setting up in are surrounded by trees and mysterious fog covered glades. This is the really good part, you have to harvest out to those glades to activate the resources in there. Think the barbarian camps from civilization games, but upgraded into major gameplay elements. Getting to glades unlocks more resources, sometimes settlers, or just more farm land. Some of them have skull icons and I do not know what happens with those in the demo, but tooltips describe serious business.

There is no tech tree, just unlocking more buildings from the queen's orders and trying to get your supply chain going to both expand the village while fueling the Queen's hearth. That thing was never a liability for me until I forgot I had chosen to sacrifice a lot of wood to it and was running out.

So you've got the queen's wrath timer counting up, your reputation timer you are pushing up, orders/quests from the queen to make you more powerful in the village, and the geography of the land might be your own worst enemy if all the dope shit is hidden in a glade way the fuck over there.

On top of all this, the 3 races I have seen so far (humans, beavers, lizards) have different strengths (brewing, wood cutting and engineering, meat stuff) and hate different things (something, something, rain).

So, you do all this, set up supply infrastructure and roads to move goods faster, decide if you are going to shank that trader for his goods, fill up your renown meter, and return the overmap. Buy perks/ build buildings at the city, pump your stats for the next run of things. Dunno how the difficulty escalates or how fucked I would be with the blightstorm coming. I still don't know what happens if I piss off the queen (what did the queen do in planescape torment).

But what thing I do know, the fact that I can move buildings around AFTER I BUILT THEM CHANGES THE FUCKING DYNAMIC! I am not demolishing old resource bases like I did in Age of empires or Galactic battlegrounds. No! I just click the move button, and slide it right over here. The beavers move with it, and I am focused on keeping my supply lines running while making sure my beavers are clearing out trees and getting me closer to another batch of swag.

Shigeru Miyamoto said something that a lot of people quote a lot, that a good game design feature solves two problems at once. Your success and failures being on two different timers push me to make faster choices. But being able to redeploy my buildings keeps me from having those choices turn out bad because I was 1 fucking grid square off. Which was a problem in tropico, and that underwater game I played earlier.

Like I said, its early access and crashed several times already, but this is a damn fun loop. My current settlement, I held off on spending reputation points to unlock buildings because I wanted to see how the maps resources were coming about.

edit: crashed again. still fun

edit: mother fuck, stop crashing, I'm having fun!

edit: The woods are killing my people faster than I can recruit. Uninstalling and wishlisting

RoyceSraphim on
    Elvenshae
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    There's now an entire website dedicated to Steam Deck custom boot animations that's collected quite a few. Preview them, download them for use on Deck, create and upload your own, it's all there.

DrovekCommander ZoomRoyceSraphimDonnictonMNC DoverJazzIoloKai_SanBetsuniShadowfireHandsome Costanzacooljammer00Ianatoran_altMugsleyElvenshaeStormwatcherKoopahTroopah
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    For the last week I've been thinking of grabbing the Metro series, since I never got far into the first one since my PC way back then didn't play it well.

'Midweek madness 80% off Metro franchise'

FFS Gabe stop doing that.

bloodatonementRoyceSraphimMorninglordJazzDonnictonBetsunicB557rahkeesh2000Commander ZoomIanatorKalnaurTalus9952Elvenshaeel_vicio
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It's not steam, but I am playing through AC Odyssey to actually finish it up, and will make sure Origins is finished.

The romance is just so unnecessarily superfluous

PoketpixieKalnaurel_vicio
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I just finished Paradise Killer. That's a really good detective mystery! Shame that it got buried a bit in some mediocre platforming. The story and characters, and the way the mystery unfolds, were done really well, but I think it would have worked much better as a Phoenix Wright style visual novel. Most of my play time was spent jumping onto rocks with dodgy hitboxes and running up stairs, which watered down the parts of the game that were actually good.

Also, I thought I was just going to play a regular detective game, I was not prepared for how dang weird it is.

RoyceSraphimcj iwakuraBetsuni
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I just finished Paradise Killer. That's a really good detective mystery! Shame that it got buried a bit in some mediocre platforming. The story and characters, and the way the mystery unfolds, were done really well, but I think it would have worked much better as a Phoenix Wright style visual novel. Most of my play time was spent jumping onto rocks with dodgy hitboxes and running up stairs, which watered down the parts of the game that were actually good.

Also, I thought I was just going to play a regular detective game, I was not prepared for how dang weird it is.

The devs are really cool people, and big fans of Flower, Sun, & Rain, and it shows. I do think the game would've been stronger if it focused more on the trial stuff
    which only happens ONCE
    , but it's still a fun ride. (And they were kind enough to give me a digital OST after sharing my thoughts!)

wVEsyIc.png
  • QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Oh wow, I go away for a weekend to do PAX and we get new thread....

Anyone gifted Dover yet?

steam_sig.png
    KarozMNC Dover
    Cultist Astronaut, feels like a floaty mix between castlevania and megaman X. Graphics remind me of early prototype flash games before movement and gunfire were properly nailed now.

Fun enough, will try to get through tutorial.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Questor wrote: »

Anyone gifted Dover yet?

That, Questor, is the right question. Thread terminated.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    RoyceSraphimdestroyah87MNC DoverMugsleyKoopahTroopah
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Dont know if any of you guys have run into this: the "new" (still beta?) Steam app just goes to a blank screen whenever I tap on a store link from another site, including this forum. I have to close the Steam app, restart it and search manually.

I really hope that's fixed in the release candidate which apparently is out there now - if I have that version then it patently isn't. It's annoying.

Also trying to re- log into Steam on my browser when the cookie expires, which kicks to the app for Steam Guard 2FA but it wants to scan a QR code, impossible when it's on the same device, and getting a regular code instead then doesn't like co-operating.

Jazz on
    cooljammer00
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Dont know if any of you guys have run into this: the "new" (still beta?) Steam app just goes to a blank screen whenever I tap on a store link from another site, including this forum. I have to close the Steam app, restart it and search manually.

I really hope that's fixed in the release candidate which apparently is out there now - if I have that version then it patently isn't. It's annoying.

Also trying to re- log into Steam on my browser when the cookie expires, which kicks to the app for Steam Guard 2FA but it wants to scan a QR code, impossible when it's on the same device, and getting a regular code instead then doesn't like co-operating.

Dude, just turn off 2FA and you'll be set. Then you can vote for me in my CounterStrike match-up!

camo_sig2.png
    rahkeesh2000bloodatonementDrovekDonnictonRoyceSraphimCorsiniIolotsmvengyJazzShadowfirean_altMugsleyElvenshaeStormwatcherKoopahTroopah
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    yeah, everything about that sounds super sketchy to me. :(

Kalnaur
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah I think that's just one of the issues with the new Steam app. Great if you wanna scan a QR code, bad for everything else.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Jazz
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Yesterday I completed my 35th revolution around The Daystar. For a change of pace I actually didn't just keep it to myself for a day.

Thanks to @Stabbity Style for Yakuza 0! And thanks to @Karoz for Slime Rancher 2 and Monster Train + DLC!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    CorsiniSpoitKarozJazzBetsunishdwcasterStabbity Stylean_altMugsleyTalus9952ElvenshaeEd Gruberman
    Questor wrote: »

Anyone gifted Dover yet?

I was hit multiple times for no reason other than I'm sexy as hell. COMPLETELY UNFAIR I SAY!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    KalnaurMugsleyElvenshaeKoopahTroopah
This discussion has been closed.