As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Thread - Persona 3 now available!

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Anyone ever had the issue in Fallout 76 of running into enemies vastly outlevelling you in inappropriate places? Ragequit last night because I was doing Rosas quests and it sent me into a mine with molepeople that were level 65 to my 19. Afaik scaling isn’t ever supposed to work like that?

with the One Wasteland update all enemies should scale to you (for example you see a lvl 20 mob and a higher level player sees that same mob at lvl 40); there is an event that occurs in that mine so it's possible higher level enemies spawned in there from other players doing the event, but I'm not sure exactly how it works

Zavian on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Zavian wrote: »
    Anyone ever had the issue in Fallout 76 of running into enemies vastly outlevelling you in inappropriate places? Ragequit last night because I was doing Rosas quests and it sent me into a mine with molepeople that were level 65 to my 19. Afaik scaling isn’t ever supposed to work like that?

with the One Wasteland update all enemies should scale to you (for example you see a lvl 20 mob and a higher level player sees that same mob at lvl 40); there is an event that occurs in that mine so it's possible higher level enemies spawned in there from other players doing the event, but I'm not sure exactly how it works

Yeah thats what I thought, its weird though because they were definitely showing up as level 35-65 (not even the same level but a range) and there was no event that I got a message for.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I enjoy Soulslike games for a few reasons. The first is that it's this blend of action-RPG with wait-and-see type combat without the need to memorize multiple combos for an arbitrary rank. There's still movement though. Even the original Souls had sprinting and the dodge roll. Nowadays you have very fluid movement like Hollow Knight with dashes.

Second is how the games don't have a ranking system or actual difficulty options, because that means the game doesn't care how you do a thing so long as you succeed, up to and including cheese strats or summoning in help. Boss is dead and you're not? That's victory just as much as it is for the naked guy with a pot on his head and nothing else who beat the boss with parry counters only.

Third is that Soulslike games tend to put actual effort into the story and lore of the world they're in. It's not given overtly, but often in bits and pieces of descriptions on spells, weapons, trinkets, etc. I am absolutely the kind of person who will read every bit of lore on every item to better understand the world of the game and what might have happened to cause the current situation. Because oftentimes a Soulslike is set AFTER the end. The story is over, the world bent towards destruction, a twilight between the long gone golden age and coming eternity of oblivion. You're not a big hero, you're just another random person picking your way across a broken world.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »

Steam Deck Startup Movies are coming to the Steam points shop.

A year from now there will be hundreds of them and the search function will still be ass.

Need to be able filter by recent, theme, have a favorites list, etc. There are 48,000+ still backgrounds. I don't have the patience to look through 'em all and see what's good or not. If I could filter out stuff I can't even use because I don't own the game it goes to that would at least be a start.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Back 4 Blood has a new Halloween thing going on, and one of them is a very obvious 2077 costume; luckily it only took me one or two matches on Easy to have enough points to unlock
    wYgyCW7.jpg

Yeah, I snapped that right up

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Spoit wrote: »
    Oh definitely. Souls likes are easy to shove into indie games, especially next to dumb rouge lite mechanics. Whereas indie immersive sims hit up against the same problems that made single A immersive sims commercially unviable: they take a lot of resources to make, and the audience isn't really there

Hey. I'm there.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Triangle Strategy out on Steam tommorow. Can't wait.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

I'm waiting for the sequel, Quadrilateral Shooter.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2022

I hear Dodecahedron Adventure is going to be pretty good.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Infinite-sided Circle Puzzle is where it's REALLY at.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    its not even that i really didnt understand the combat. because i do like fighting games and i have put in thousands of hours in monster hunter. I think the controls were just too slow and everything felt clunky. Id love to play monster hunter with some magic in it. but bloodborne at least was not it.

As much love as Bloodborne gets, I think it's about the worst of these kinds of games to enter into the "series" with. It is, in my opinion, the most unforgiving and fast and the one most interested in you playing aggressively which I feel like those two things take more than a bit of getting used to. Most of the other games provide at least some ways to be more considered and defensive.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Finished Mass Effect 3 last night. I was disappointed with the ending, mainly because of the explanation on why the Reapers came to be. But, it was an journey to get to the end! I'll have to replay this some other time, and maybe save some of the people that died.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

Gonna espouse the hell out of this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    its not even that i really didnt understand the combat. because i do like fighting games and i have put in thousands of hours in monster hunter. I think the controls were just too slow and everything felt clunky. Id love to play monster hunter with some magic in it. but bloodborne at least was not it.

As much love as Bloodborne gets, I think it's about the worst of these kinds of games to enter into the "series" with. It is, in my opinion, the most unforgiving and fast and the one most interested in you playing aggressively which I feel like those two things take more than a bit of getting used to. Most of the other games provide at least some ways to be more considered and defensive.

The only one more vicious than Bloodborne is Sekiro which isn't even the same genre anymore.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Oh definitely. Souls likes are easy to shove into indie games, especially next to dumb rouge lite mechanics. Whereas indie immersive sims hit up against the same problems that made single A immersive sims commercially unviable: they take a lot of resources to make, and the audience isn't really there

Hey. I'm there.
    There are dozens of us

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    And tonight, we conclude the AAA run.
    Thank you @an_alt , @Ianator , @Betsuni , @Stabbity Style , @Fencingsax , @Polaritie , @Elvenshae , @Kalnaur , @Jazz , @Mugsley , @cB557 , and @Iolo for your service.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

We are swimming in mechs and parts. Cash, not so much, but we can always liquidate them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    HiT BiT wrote: »

Steam Deck Startup Movies are coming to the Steam points shop.

A year from now there will be hundreds of them and the search function will still be ass.

Need to be able filter by recent, theme, have a favorites list, etc. There are 48,000+ still backgrounds. I don't have the patience to look through 'em all and see what's good or not. If I could filter out stuff I can't even use because I don't own the game it goes to that would at least be a start.

Ideally they will mimic the boo ru system with proper curation but I know that's a pipe dream

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    If anyone is like me and uses the SteamApp fairly regularly for browsing new releases or game updates without having to go into STEAM, the app has been (finally) updated and the changes are pretty good.

Yeah thats what I thought, its weird though because they were definitely showing up as level 35-65 (not even the same level but a range) and there was no event that I got a message for.

Echoing user @Zavian, that is a very common world event that you SHOULD be able to complete without getting sucked further into the mine where you're encountering the event NPC's and not just the NPC's wandering around. It definitely confused me when I first got there and was like "What the hell is going on. . ."

. . .it did give me a ton of resources for breaking down though so worth just sneaking in a shot or two to get "credit" for loot without being targeted by mobs.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    If anyone is like me and uses the SteamApp fairly regularly for browsing new releases or game updates without having to go into STEAM, the app has been (finally) updated and the changes are pretty good.

Echoing user @Zavian, that is a very common world event that you SHOULD be able to complete without getting sucked further into the mine where you're encountering the event NPC's and not just the NPC's wandering around. It definitely confused me when I first got there and was like "What the hell is going on. . ."

. . .it did give me a ton of resources for breaking down though so worth just sneaking in a shot or two to get "credit" for loot without being targeted by mobs.

it's always good to do the world events since it's a free teleport and if you just hang around not even doing anything you can still get the rewards, but there's usually something even low levels can do to help like with the Super Mutant BBQ event you can just idle play the instruments, and if you die you respawn right on the event. plus even if you do little damage to the higher level mobs, you still get loot, making world events a really good way to get legendary drops

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Miles Morales finally announced for Steam. Releases November 18th for $50.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Skipping to the end of the thread. I don't know how these work but I have a GOG code for Disco Elysium Director's Cut.

I'm not sure I can share the code but I already own the game, if anyone is interested

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Skipping to the end of the thread. I don't know how these work but I have a GOG code for Disco Elysium Director's Cut.

I'm not sure I can share the code but I already own the game, if anyone is interested

I'll take it if it's not already, now that I have a Deck I'm sure it'll be better than the Switch experience!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

I can't wait!

and I don't have to because I just saw this and now tomorrow is today!

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

I can't wait!

Woo, Triangle Strategy!

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Woo, Triangle Strategy!

Need to shout it like they do after the guitar solo at 4:16!

https://youtu.be/ZF1yb-SOi0A

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Woo, Triangle Strategy!

Need to shout it like they do after the guitar solo at 4:16!

https://youtu.be/ZF1yb-SOi0A

Nice XD

I do love a good JRPG soundtrack. Been playing Suikoden 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duAZw5dHlhk

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

Geometry wars is already a game, 3 of them in fact!

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    DarkTide test begins tomorrow. You can still request access in the store page, in case you didn't fill out the form previously.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Geometry wars is already a game, 3 of them in fact!

/me nips to Wikipedia

Turns out there's eight of them!

It's one of those where I feel kinda chuffed at getting in on the ground floor - the very first version was a mini-game on an arcade machine in the garage in the already-brilliant Project Gotham Racing 2.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Oh hey, Steam fixed 2FA. I get the code window every time now.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    So, I just got the latest mobile and desktop updates, and these seem like a security nightmare, particularly with modern Fatigue 2FA Attacks.

Is there a way to disable the push notification 2FA and QR codes, and go back to the old system?

Also, the old app allowed you to log out, but keep the authenticator codes available for Steam Guard. Now it looks like you can never log out of the mobile client, ever, unless you disable Steam Guard first?

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    My drunk ass was sober and left warframe running overnight.

I also forgot that I have my protodroid delta key waiting for me.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

I can't wait!

Woo, Triangle Strategy!

Triangle Strat, Triangle Strat
    Triangle Strat hates Particle Strat
    They have a fight, Triangle wins
    Triangle Strat

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Oh, I was wondering what they were up to.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That music is fucking great.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Their RPGs invariably have top tier battle systems. Really excellent.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    So, I just got the latest mobile and desktop updates, and these seem like a security nightmare, particularly with modern Fatigue 2FA Attacks.

Is there a way to disable the push notification 2FA and QR codes, and go back to the old system?

Turn off notifications for the Steam app on your phone. On iOS it’s in a central system control panel, and I assume Android has something similar. The Steam login system doesn’t require a push notification to function; you just have to manually open the app when you need to enter the code, just like before.

Maybe I’m out of the loop, are you including QR codes in the security nightmare statement? What makes them bad?

• Options
    I love that the little ice cream dudes are still in there

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I enjoy Soulslike games for a few reasons. The first is that it's this blend of action-RPG with wait-and-see type combat without the need to memorize multiple combos for an arbitrary rank. There's still movement though. Even the original Souls had sprinting and the dodge roll. Nowadays you have very fluid movement like Hollow Knight with dashes.

Second is how the games don't have a ranking system or actual difficulty options, because that means the game doesn't care how you do a thing so long as you succeed, up to and including cheese strats or summoning in help. Boss is dead and you're not? That's victory just as much as it is for the naked guy with a pot on his head and nothing else who beat the boss with parry counters only.

Third is that Soulslike games tend to put actual effort into the story and lore of the world they're in. It's not given overtly, but often in bits and pieces of descriptions on spells, weapons, trinkets, etc. I am absolutely the kind of person who will read every bit of lore on every item to better understand the world of the game and what might have happened to cause the current situation. Because oftentimes a Soulslike is set AFTER the end. The story is over, the world bent towards destruction, a twilight between the long gone golden age and coming eternity of oblivion. You're not a big hero, you're just another random person picking your way across a broken world.

I really wish I could play soulslike games. I absolutely love everything about this description. Unfortunately, I'm terrible at video games and have too much IRL stuff to be able to get consistent time to improve, however slowly.

There's something wonderful about a game that gives a fair, consistent challenge and dares you to beat it. There may be lots of ways to win though talent or cheese, but a bar is set. Pass it or don't. No difficulty sliders, no story mode, just a line in the sand.

Soulslike games might not be for me, but I'm glad they exist.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
This discussion has been closed.