As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movies] Thread, not the Moovies thread

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm still processing Banshees of Inisherin, but it might be my film of the year.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm still processing Banshees of Inisherin, but it might be my film of the year.

If Everything Everywhere All At Once left you weeping, your soul filled too many emotions and them just pouring out, Banshees of Inisherin left me feeling profoundly hollow, like Obi Wan Kenobi on the millennium falcon sensing a million lives snuffed out in an instant. It was hard to process but I like ruined my whole week as it all unfolded in my head and I found myself quietly crying for seemingly no reason.

It's not my favorite movie of the year because 2022 was a year of bangers, but it probably is the best movie of the year.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Though of course when you're used to 40 year olds playing late 20s/early 30s and late 20s/early 30s been the ideal teen spot - not hard to see how you can keep up the illusion of youth when you know how to do the hollywood makeup, and people's idea of what a teenager/young actor looks like has also been aged up.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    EEAAO is my favorite of the year.

Fuck, of the last 10 years.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Eh he's barely older than Pitt, he's getting up there but not into super old man territory and he's kept up physically

Plus like people said Pitt Smoked until two year ago. Smoking ages you and it never comes out completely. Those years are permanent in a way fat and lack of exercise isn't.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    EEAAO is available to watch for free right now if you subscribe to the Paramount/Showtime combo on Apple TV

Yes, it’s just that easy

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    EEAAO is available to watch for free right now if you subscribe to the Paramount/Showtime combo on Apple TV

Yes, it’s just that easy

Or for actually free if you have a library near you.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2022

Yes, it’s just that easy

And that library might have a cafe that sells everything bagels.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    RazielMortemRazielMortem Registered User regular
    Hey hey hey - if we're talking about aging, I should be so lucky as to look as good as Sir Patrick Stewart at 82!

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Hey hey hey - if we're talking about aging, I should be so lucky as to look as good as Sir Patrick Stewart at 82!

The devil's bargain. He's looked 82 his entire life.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Neo-Noirvember day 7:

QQD33M2.jpg
    The Killers (1964), dir. Don Siegel

Qr3CJ3z.jpg
    John Cassavetes is immediately killed in a very well-done, tense opening. The rest of the movie features Lee Marvin and Clu Galager, the eponymous killers, trying to figure out why they were hired to kill him. If this sounds familiar it's because, like the 1946 movie of the same name that I covered two years ago, it's an adaptation of a Hemingway short story. Angie Dickinson and Ronald Reagan are eventually involved.

JiJxxvq.jpg
    Pretty good. Cassavetes is fine as a broken sort of dude and Marvin is trying on the persona he'll eventually inhabit in the amazing Point Blank three years later. Reagan, in his last film role and only appearance as a giant shithead in his entire film career, is also fine. Galager is more of a standout, as he bounces off the walls and revels in violence while looking, acting, and sounding like Jimmy Stewart after sixteen whiskeys and twenty four cigarettes.

IXuT2Vv.jpg
    For a film crammed with flashbacks it has a decent energy and it's sometimes oozing with style. The music is by John Williams (credited as Johnny, in one of his first credits) except for a theme by Mancini which is as out of place as the occasional Manicini James Bondish riff in Experiment in Terror. There are some nice '60s sets like this hotel room (check out that carpet!) which helps offset the fact that even when they're ostensibly in Florida, it's obviously filmed in California. 82/100

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

The devil's bargain. He's looked 82 his entire life.

It's been weird seeing Stewart in stuff recently because he generally looks about the same as he always has, but he is also clearly old compared to how he used to be.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/12/05/entertainment/kirstie-alley-obit/index.html

CNN reporting Kirstie Alley has passed from cancer.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    It's been weird seeing Stewart in stuff recently because he generally looks about the same as he always has, but he is also clearly old compared to how he used to be.
    I think it's his skin, which seems to hang more loosely around his face and neck, and the way he moves, which is very different from how he moved back in TNG. I can't tell how much is Stewart and how much is his acting, but he's clearly grown old, though in ways that may not be immediately visible in a photo as opposed to in motion.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I think it's his skin, which seems to hang more loosely around his face and neck, and the way he moves, which is very different from how he moved back in TNG. I can't tell how much is Stewart and how much is his acting, but he's clearly grown old, though in ways that may not be immediately visible in a photo as opposed to in motion.

It's the moving and the voice for me. Appearance wise he does look a bit older, but not by too much. As soon as he starts moving or speaking though, the difference between now and back during TNG or the X-Men movies just hits way hard.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Every time I see his or McKellen’s name pop up, I am filled with fear that it is going to be about them dying

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    I have to admit that while I am obviously sad if a much-liked artist dies, that sadness gets rather abstract for me if we're talking about people in their 80s or 90s. I don't doubt people's sincerity in such cases, but it's something I honestly don't feel very strongly, especially compared to people like Philip Seymour Hoffman or Michael K. Williams.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Working my way through Christmassy movies, it being almost Christmas if you didn't know, and just watched Scrooge (1951) for the first time (released in the States as A Christmas Carol). It's the one with Alastair Sim and I've seen a lot of people cite it as their favourite version. It's really good. Sim is a lot of fun, even if he mugs a bit (or should I say especially when he mugs a bit?), and it's got some really moody black and white photography with lovely sets, matte paintings and nice performances from probably quite well-known at the time British actors. Also the girl who plays Bob Cratchett's daughter is the spitting image of Meadow Soprano. Uncanny. Bonus points for including Ignorance & Want.

I think I prefer the George C. Scott TV movie from the '80s though. It's just so expensive.

A slight bit of serendipity when we watched Lethal Weapon last night - there's a scene towards the end where Mr. Joshua (Gary Busey) beats up a TV which happens to be playing Scrooge (1951)! Neato.

Lethal Weapon itself, if you're not put off by the Mel Gibsonness of it, is of course excellent, albeit bugfuck nuts. It's just an absolute mess of police brutality and civil rights violations ending in a fight that could (should) be a stage from a Streetfighter game! Two guys beating the heads off each other on a muddy lawn, broken fire hydrant spraying, a helicopter spotlight shining down on them, surrounded by cheering cops. It's okay though because after the suspect they chose to fight one-on-one, instead of putting in cuffs when they had the opportunity, lunges for a gun they shoot the shit out of him. What?! :astonished:

A non-stop thrill ride with some really impressive stunt-work, the strangest action movie soundtrack ever, and a helicopter that sneaks up on two people having a quiet conversation. There's a reason this masterpiece got three good-to-okay sequels!

Also, Burbank is a great name for a cat.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    I can't work out if Lethal Weapon is a parody of the genre or just a particualrly good example of it. I did enjoy National Lampoon Loaded Weapon though.

RazielMortem on
  • Options
    The Lethal Weapon series is more comedic than other '80s and '90s action, but there's little (I'd say "nothing", but it's been a long time since I've seen the films) to indicate it's a parody, at least in its first three films.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    I can't work out if Lethal Weapon is a parody of the genre or just a particualrly good example of it. I did enjoy National Lampoon Loaded Weapon though.

"Just taking one of those... butt in the moonbeam walks."

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I saw Loaded Weapon before Lethal Weapon

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    An action movie with comedy bits? Lethal Weapon is a Marvel movie without the Marvel.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    An action movie with comedy bits? Lethal Weapon is a Marvel movie without the Marvel.

The first movie has some humorous moments, but darkly cynical buddy cop movie type stuff. Not the defuse all the tension jokes that Marvel pulls.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    The first movie has aged quite poorly. The rest still feature Mel Gibson

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    After watching a compilation of Bond movie scenes it feels like 80s and 90s movies were all just packing in whatever wild spectacles they could afford to do bundled with a shoestring of a plot they had to take seriously so the basic story wouldn't fall apart. It's a bunch of people trying to roleplay through a straightforward story while random crazy things happen around them

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    I just remember Lethal Weapon being so bananas that it seemed out there, even for the 80s. But I guess it's not that much wackier than Tango & Cash or Beverly Hills Cop.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I just remember Lethal Weapon being so bananas that it seemed out there, even for the 80s. But I guess it's not that much wackier than Tango & Cash or Beverly Hills Cop.

It's still of that era of "your average NYPD/LAPD detective will at some point get caught up in international espionage, drug trafficking, weapons trafficking, and single handedly take down a criminal organization"

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Yeah that’s where the Marvel comparison comes in. Everyman LA/NY Cop was our superhero at the time. If they’d ever thought to create a Everyman Cop In Over His Head Cinematic Universe, it could have been worth billions. Riggs and McClane and Foley teaming up like the Avengers.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    The best Lethal Weapon movie was the one that was reworked into Die Hard with a Vengeance

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

I don't know if it's as bad as Lethal Weapon 4, where even my edgelord 17 year old self was like "you guys are a little over the top on the racism."

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Lethal Weapon 1 is still great.

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Yeah that’s where the Marvel comparison comes in. Everyman LA/NY Cop was our superhero at the time. If they’d ever thought to create a Everyman Cop In Over His Head Cinematic Universe, it could have been worth billions. Riggs and McClane and Foley teaming up like the Avengers.

To quote butter bot: 'Oh. My. God.' I didn't know I needed this until now. It would have been amazing. Gruber vs Foley...

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Who would have thought years later the most unbelievable thing about Die hard is Al Powell feeling bad he shot a kid accidentally.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    There's a scene in Lethal Weapon where Murtagh (Danny Glover) and another black detective are put on the spot by some five year olds who want to know if it's true that cops shoot black people.

After an awkward silence they diffuse the situation by buying the children ice-cream.

Then five years later they hospitalise Rodney King.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

On the other hand I saw the Lethal Weapon series with Damon Wayans and Clayne Crawford recently when I was visiting my mother and I did like it - it wore its inspiration on its sleeve and was some dumb action fun. It's too bad it didn't make it long past Fox booting Crawford from the show for getting too protesty about workplace safety...

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah the first season was decent, but I heard the Crawford stuff went like both ways, like he was unsafe to work with? Its always hard to tell with the kind of back talk bullshit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah the first season was decent, but I heard the Crawford stuff went like both ways, like he was unsafe to work with? Its always hard to tell with the kind of back talk bullshit.

I started considering a rewatch the other day. Man Crawford did not get better either. He is straight up dangerous. He was directing an episode and almost pulled a Twilight Zone on Wayans. I don't know how exaggerated it was, but a lot of the crew confirmed the fuck up.

Then he got into a shouting match with Wayans shortly there after, there was audio of it, and he just keeps escalating.

I liked Sean William Scott. I don't know who he pissed off in Hollywood, because I dig the guy.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XpAb11hqy4

This is a fantastic interview all the way through and these guys are both some of the few non Hollywood fart huffing idiots, I want to have a beer with them and then go dab on modern actors. Airheads is hella underrated.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Yes, it’s just that easy

It was one of those movies I chose to buy in 4k because a) I don't want to have to depend on a streaming service deciding to offer it if I want to see it, b) I want it to look real purty, and c) I want to give them all my moneys.

Just bought Maverick today for the same 3 reasons.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.