As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TV] is the thing you watch all your streaming shows on

LarsLars Registered User regular
edited March 2023 in Social Entropy++
There wasn't a TV thread and I had a question, so here's a low effort TV thread.

My wife and I were trying to remember if Mr. Burns in the Simpsons ever ordered "egg salad" in the same cadence that he says "Excellent." We both feel like this is something he has done, but we cannot remember the specific instance when he would have. Does anyone know?

DJ Eebs on

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I can tell you that within the first 13 seasons it doesn’t happen.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Whoever does the marketing for the Boys in the off season needs a raise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvS_jZHv_yo

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    The best thing by about watching these old Midsomer Murders is that everyone in these small British towns just hate each other so much. An episode starts and it immediately goes to 11 on how nasty everyone is. You look forward to seeing which horrible person gets killed.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited October 2022

Great British Baking Show Mexican Week going great.

( Since a few people are RTing this, I just want to be clear: This isn't a shot from the episode. Something like this happens in the episode, but this is an old joke photo from years ago that I used an an extreme comparison. )

Pete Forester is a monster "Storyteller [and] Writer/Host/Contributor about town".

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Reboot is a fine show, but I'm a huge fan of Judy Greer so it gets bonus points.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Reboot is a fine show, but I'm a huge fan of Judy Greer so it gets bonus points.

Ha! Double entendre

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    That Mexican week on GBBO sure was a thing.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Ah, damn. RIP to a real one. Gonna watch some Murder She Wrote tonight, I think

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    man
    queuing up a weekend movie marathon of Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Pirates of Penzance, and The Court Jester

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    There's one I really figured was already gone

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Think I'm gonna have to break my Vampire-centric cinema guideline for October to watch the original Manchurian Candidate...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Think I'm gonna have to break my Vampire-centric cinema guideline for October to watch the original Manchurian Candidate...

Murder, She Wrote "The Legacy of Borbey House": While restoring her house in Cabot Cove, Jessica worries that her contractor is preoccupied by the remodeling of another house until the project is put on hold when the client who may or may not be a vampire is found murdered.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

Murder, She Wrote "The Legacy of Borbey House": While restoring her house in Cabot Cove, Jessica worries that her contractor is preoccupied by the remodeling of another house until the project is put on hold when the client who may or may not be a vampire is found murdered.

Oh, thank christ.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Angela Lansbury was also great on Broadway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqapHRAqnfk

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Oh, thank christ.

Meanwhile, I got very lucky while trying to figure out how to pay tribute to Angela while sticking to horror movies that I haven't seen this month. It looks like she's only ever been in 2 horror movies. One is The Picture of Dorian Gray from 1945. The second is a werewolf movie from 1984 that was the second movie ever directed by Neil Jordan. More importantly I had already obtained it recently because it also has David Warner in it and I was looking for similar options after he died.

So tonight I'll be streaming The Company of Wolves for friends and thinking about all those episodes of Murder She Wrote we watched after dinner at my grandmother's house on Sunday evenings.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I believe there's a filmed version of her Sweeney Todd performance, which also very much falls under the horror umbrella (and she rules in it, as seen above)

• Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I believe there's a filmed version of her Sweeney Todd performance, which also very much falls under the horror umbrella (and she rules in it, as seen above)

Fair, I just don't really think of recorded stage performances as movies. But that's just a personal preference or mental categorization issue I guess.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Oh, thank christ.

Meanwhile, I got very lucky while trying to figure out how to pay tribute to Angela while sticking to horror movies that I haven't seen this month. It looks like she's only ever been in 2 horror movies. One is The Picture of Dorian Gray from 1945. The second is a werewolf movie from 1984 that was the second movie ever directed by Neil Jordan. More importantly I had already obtained it recently because it also has David Warner in it and I was looking for similar options after he died.

So tonight I'll be streaming The Company of Wolves for friends and thinking about all those episodes of Murder She Wrote we watched after dinner at my grandmother's house on Sunday evenings.

The Company of Wolves is an incredible movie, it's based on an Angela Carter short story that she adapted to film herself

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    a short-lived, late 80s cartoon has been on my mind lately: StarCom: The U.S. Space Force

so I went looking to see if it was streaming anywhere. When I found it, I noticed a rather strange thumbnail for one of the episodes:
    0f1tispz7ar9.png

(it seems to actually be a thumbnail from the episode, to boot; not someone after the fact having a laugh. )

• Options
    I'm upgrading Reboot (2022) to great because the writers room scenes are increasing in frequency.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I'm upgrading Reboot (2022) to alphanumeric because the writers room scenes are increasing in frequency.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I'm upgrading Reboot (2022) to alphanumeric because the writers room scenes are increasing in frequency.

Fred Melamed and Rose Abdoo as the saucey 'go fuck yourself' old as hell writers in the modern day reboot writers room is easily the best part of the entire show.

Also when you search IMDB for 'Reboot' it defaults to 'Reboot (Canadian Television Series). So, good on them.

EDIT: and after spending a few moments googling I bought the reboot series off of Shout Factory!

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    a short-lived, late 80s cartoon has been on my mind lately: StarCom: The U.S. Space Force

so I went looking to see if it was streaming anywhere. When I found it, I noticed a rather strange thumbnail for one of the episodes:
    0f1tispz7ar9.png

(it seems to actually be a thumbnail from the episode, to boot; not someone after the fact having a laugh. )

I don't know this reference

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »

0f1tispz7ar9.png

I don't know this reference

Not sure if serious...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I was serious. Tamin seemed to be suggesting there was something unusual about the thumbnail, and I was "... like what? what do you mean?"

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    it immediately evoked the Fry meme to me, at least superficially.

k1yvmuay17f6.png

it's not 1:1 or anything, but you've got
    - a redhead dude (wearing red);
    - standing in a hallway;
    - looking to camera right;
    - a slanting element along the back wall;
    - and similar framing

it's just an odd (and to me, amusing) coincidence. There's a very slim chance that someone was asked to make thumbnails for the episodes (most have a bit from the intro sequence) and intentionally chose that one as a joke, but that would be it.

Tamin on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I can't watch Reboot because there already was a Reboot and it confuses my brain, I'm sorry but I don't make the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuEJWmxWkKw

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I, too, reject the inane laws of “Finders Keepers” and adhere to the Old Ways of “First Come, First Served.”

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    House of the Dragon this week had what I’d consider the show’s first really great scene. It’s a little damning that it took 8 episodes to get there, but the whole scene of Viserys walking to the throne and deciding on the succession was really excellently done. That’s like 90% down to Paddy Considine being very good, but the bit with Daemon handing him the crown was a really nice touch.

The rest of the episode was mostly pretty good, even if it retread a lot of the same drama from the last few episode, and hinged the entire plot on an absolutely goofy ass misunderstanding of some overheard dialogue. It might be the show’s best episode so far? I’d give it a “pretty good”. It doesn’t hold up to what Rings of Power has been doing on a weekly basis, but it was alright!

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Andor finally had an episode that paid off the previous set ups that lead to it. I understand they have more road to travel so the show isn't going to be as tightly focused as others, but I'm glad this episode had some pay off.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    House of the Dragon this week had what I’d consider the show’s first really great scene. It’s a little damning that it took 8 episodes to get there, but the whole scene of Viserys walking to the throne and deciding on the succession was really excellently done. That’s like 90% down to Paddy Considine being very good, but the bit with Daemon handing him the crown was a really nice touch.

The rest of the episode was mostly pretty good, even if it retread a lot of the same drama from the last few episode, and hinged the entire plot on an absolutely goofy ass misunderstanding of some overheard dialogue. It might be the show’s best episode so far? I’d give it a “pretty good”. It doesn’t hold up to what Rings of Power has been doing on a weekly basis, but it was alright!

Fun fact about that scene: he's hunched over as he approaches the throne because Paddy Considine has been carrying the show this whole time

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Andor episode was just so tense. And also really beautiful. Best star wars.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

A friend of mine wrote that episode!

I had to bow out on the show because it wasn't my cup of tea, but I am glad to hear that a nice person did good work, that is always very heartening to hear.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2022
    I'm planning to rewatch Rogue One this weekend to refresh myself on Andor because I don't remember who he is at all.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    I'm planning to rewatch Rogue One this weekend to refresh myself on Andor because I don't remember who he is at all.

Andor the show is basically about how this speech
    https://www.starwars.com/video/we-d-like-to-volunteer

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »

Oh, thank christ.

The Company of Wolves is an incredible movie, it's based on an Angela Carter short story that she adapted to film herself

This was indeed an incredible movie. I was definitely not expecting to see Angela Lansbury's head get knocked off by a werewolf and sent flipping through the air across the room, but I guess that's a peril of trying to honor an actor during horror movie month.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Andor is "han shot first" as a person

edit: i'm not saying that's a bad thing

edit edit: i mean obviously it is bad to shoot at people i think this is probably a given but just in case

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
This discussion has been closed.