MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Man, if only you could play cabal....

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2023
    MMMig wrote: »
    Man, if only you could play cabal....

the flip side of what i said about sardakk is that if you're in that meta do not play cabal

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    How many people do we have on Twilight Wars here? Just three? We could start up a game but I'm not a huge fan of 3-player...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Is that a synchronous TI medium?

sig.gif
  • Options

To be clear, since the two words are similar, it's an asynchronous platform.

It didn't have all of PoK yet though, so if I were ever to be able to play live/synchronously again, I'd probably use Tabletop Simulator

Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

It didn't have all of PoK yet though, so if I were ever to be able to play live/synchronously again, I'd probably use Tabletop Simulator

Have you guys tried the discord bot? Full PoK with codices, as well as support for all sorts of variants. You mostly take your turns by pressing buttons in discord threads, and a bot spits out map updates in a special thread. There's a website with a map view. Here's a game I'm in now: https://ti4.westaddisonheavyindustries.com/game/pbd1478

sig.gif
  • Options

Have you guys tried the discord bot? Full PoK with codices, as well as support for all sorts of variants. You mostly take your turns by pressing buttons in discord threads, and a bot spits out map updates in a special thread. There's a website with a map view. Here's a game I'm in now: https://ti4.westaddisonheavyindustries.com/game/pbd1478

Does that show you the impossible odds you're up against, though?
    nskfa0jcqcgi.jpg

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options

I may try that, see how it feels. Really missing PoK...

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Do not betray me tho 🙅‍♂️

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2023
    I won my Twilight Imperium game! Pushed to Mecatol Rex as the Saar and held it for the entire game, Imperial only got drafted out from under me a couple times and I built Mecatol up enough no one wanted to risk pushing me off with the other players right on their necks, but it was pretty even with 3 of us around 5-6 points, and I managed to use Imperial to get a 2 point public objective, and I had technology to snag the last two techs I needed to score one of my secret objectives and one more public objective at the status phase, so I was able to jump straight from 5 to 10 with that one round. Whole game lasted like 3 hours? We're going to try and play again soonish, playing with PoK and drafting the galaxy tiles this time around.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    3 hrs for one game is incredibly fast

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    It was only a four person game and I was the only one who hadn't played before.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    It was only a four person game and I was the only one who hadn't played before.

Nevertheless you are each to be commended!

sig.gif
  • Options
    But yeah Saar is so so strong because

home system?

What about 2nd home system?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options

Do not betray me tho 🙅‍♂️

I'm possibly joining your first game and i would like to emphasize this point!

sig.gif
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Well poop.

I don't check the looking for a game channel on the Discord much. Seems to be 95% for live games. The few asynch games seem to fill up within an hour.

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    Well poop.

I don't check the looking for a game channel on the Discord much. Seems to be 95% for live games. The few asynch games seem to fill up within an hour.

Just add me. I'll make a new game with you in it lol

But yeah, the games fill up fast. You can make one yourself too!

Steam profile
  • Options
    Well poop.

We've been friended for weeks! :'(

• Options
    Well poop.

We've been friended for weeks! :'(

Accept the game invite! I just sent it out. Then, after everyone has I'll start and you can pick a faction. After that it will show up in the main games list

Steam profile
  • Options
    Oh that's weird. I was checking notifications. Didn't know invites showed up under the lobby game tab.

• Options
    Oh that's weird. I was checking notifications. Didn't know invites showed up under the lobby game tab.

Yeah the lobby tab is separate. Kind of annoying but shrug

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Haven't played PoK before. Looking over the new stuff.

Good lord, some of these new objectives are obscenely easy.

"Have another player's promissory note in your play area."

Praise RNGesus to the player who draws that SO instead of "wipe out all your opponent's ships during the space cannon step".

Which PoK features are currently in Twilight Wars? Can't get much from the version update section.

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Alright flipped through all of PoK rules. Thoughts on the new generic techs?

AI Development looks like the only pretty useful one.

Dark Energy Tap, Scanlink, Predictive Intelligence, Biostims, and Self-Assembly look like they can beat out the other choices in their tier if you wanted to climb that color's tree. They don't look worth getting otherwise.

Psychoarch I don't think I'd get unless there was a specific race/objective thing around exploring.

Sling Relay I don't think I'd ever get unless there was some pivotal play around a flagship/warsun getting to move a round early AND that couldn't be covered with Warfare. The tech on its own actually seems better than the other new ones, but the base game blue techs are just clearly better choices.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Alright flipped through all of PoK rules. Thoughts on the new generic techs?

AI Development looks like the only pretty useful one.

Dark Energy Tap, Scanlink, Predictive Intelligence, Biostims, and Self-Assembly look like they can beat out the other choices in their tier if you wanted to climb that color's tree. They don't look worth getting otherwise.

Psychoarch I don't think I'd get unless there was a specific race/objective thing around exploring.

Sling Relay I don't think I'd ever get unless there was some pivotal play around a flagship/warsun getting to move a round early AND that couldn't be covered with Warfare. The tech on its own actually seems better than the other new ones, but the base game blue techs are just clearly better choices.

AI Dev is great, yeah.

DET is nice, imo, definitely worth it over Antimass if you need a blue (and often if you don't). The Frontier Tokens generally balance out to being worth a CC to get, so if you have to move any ships into an empty space it helps that out. But even then, the retreat aspect of it can be worthwhile in itself, that extra flexibility is nice.

Self Assembly is pretty good imo. Twilight Wars doesn't have it yet so I haven't used it recently, but I think I remember it being solid enough. Not amazing, but solid.

Sling Relay is nice because it doesn't lock down the system you build in, and it's a stall. I think it's better than you're giving it credit for, personally.

The rest are bleh.

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Sling seems good, it's just competing with Gravity Drive, Fleet Logistics, and Light Wave (and Carrier 2).
    Most of the competition in other colors is weaker.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Yeah they're all early techs so none of them are great. For the new factions they're generally very good. For the old factions you just have a choice between two lackluster options, which is a huge improvement but still disappointing

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Yellow and Green are weird because the tier 1 tech is way better than the tier 2 (I always thought they should be swapped).

That's why I label Biostims and Predictive under "I might get them" and not Sling Relay - even though Sling is better - because Graviton and Deacxive are the competing options and are so much weaker than the T2-T4 blue options.

Yeah reading through them they seemed designed to play into a specific new race, and threw them out to generic availability because why the heck not?

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    So there's a rules interpretation question I've got, Chaos Mapping lets you produce one unit with one of your units that has production at the start of every round of yours during the action phase, if you produce infantry or Fighters do you produce two because the cost is two for one, or can you only make one at a time?

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    So there's a rules interpretation question I've got, Chaos Mapping lets you produce one unit with one of your units that has production at the start of every round of yours during the action phase, if you produce infantry or Fighters do you produce two because the cost is two for one, or can you only make one at a time?

Just one, unfortunately.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Infantry/Fighters are never "two for one", but simply cost 1/2 resource, rounded up.
    In every instance of unit count, they count as one unit each.

(unless specifically stated otherwise on a card. Naalu 1/2 supply fighters is the only exception I can think of)

• Options
    Set up "fast asynch" 6p game. Have the entire next 7 days on a relaxed work schedule. Was looking to finish a game within then. Halfway between live and asynch. 1 spot left if anyone here wants to join.

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Set up "fast asynch" 6p game. Have the entire next 7 days on a relaxed work schedule. Was looking to finish a game within then. Halfway between live and asynch. 1 spot left if anyone here wants to join.

unless you actually schedule stuff with the players

6p async game will prob take 4 months

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Well, just set one up titled "6p - Minimum 10 moves a day, please". I have the next week mostly off as it's going to be completely dead at work and I can frequently check in. Looking for a game where everyone can check in at least 10 times a day, at least for the next week.

Friend code if interested
    I7IzKX

(it's just frustrating advertising right in the title that you want active people only, and you keep getting people who take 48 hours to discard a starting secret objective)

MrBody on
  • Options
    hah, yeah definitely

if you're talking about the TW app, there are a ton of randos prowling the lobby so it's best to use the discord to find people to play with.

I use the discord for 100% of all my games.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Thought: the Carrier II upgrade should be moved to 2 yellow techs prerequisite

• Options
    And move space dock to be 2 blue to compensate? Enormous buff to hacan and mentak, rough for sol and empy... idk I'm at least provisionally interested

sig.gif
  • Options
    Think the blue techs have always been overly useful, and carrier II is one of the most useful unit upgrades. Always thought Carrier II blue requirements reinforced that color being far and away the best.

• Options
    With grav drive being so, SO strong, I agree blues are just highly encouraged early game.

Yellows are probably the least unless you're the couple of factions that want them.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Yellow has better higher end techs than red, but red has the better unit upgrades.

I always thought Space Dock II could use a different kind of boost other than just +2 production.

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Maybe gravity drive could be nerfed to "During movement, a single 1 movement ship can move 2."
    Would make the early game effect unchanged, but not making it super crazy in the mid to late game with 3 movement capacity ships (limited to cruiser IIs and Muaat super war sun).

Speaking of tech, I forgot what a complete mess the TI3 tech tree was.
    https://twilight-imperium.fandom.com/wiki/Technology_(Third_Edition)

MrBody on