As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon Go] Remote Control

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Cruor wrote: »
    Finally Landorus is back and I can complete that dumb quest where I have the take a picture of him

There's a quest to take a picture of him? Must be something I missed out on :P Now if only Victini and Melodia would come back so I can take pictures of them :3

Yeah, that happened while you were away. It coincided with the Ous raids, so in theory it was doable. But plenty of people didn't raid them, and only later realized they missed out on it. The quest happened like three years ago, and to this day the local Facebook page keeps getting occasional "where do I find Landorus to finish the quest" posts.

Yuck. I'm not a fan of the "catch/photo this specific pokemon" quests. My alt still has one to catch exeggcutes (and had one for whismurs until Hoenn day finally solved that). They are way too reliant on finishing everything during whatever current event is going on (it was maybe a bit more reasonable when the game didn't have 7 generations of pokemon in it). At least when it's something like "catch 10 psychic types" even if you miss out on the psychic event you can still work towards that goal.

I know some of them they have retroactively changed (I believe I heard the Primal Kyogre/Groudon ones were changed to generic "do a raid" or something), wonder why they don't do that for everything like that. Maybe it's more a thing going forward and not a retroactive thing... (and honestly I understand the two mythical quests that I'm stuck on but man that is so damn annoying.. TBH hate how the photo feature is kinda pushed on us at times... at least let me delete buddy photos like wild photos....)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited March 2023

Edit: Riolu from 2k eggs is kinda hype. Watch them boost 5k drop rates XD Shame no exeggcute in the wild spawns or something, my alt would have been happy (seriously, they've got the evolved forms but not the first stage? T_T)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Oh hey, they had the balls to do it

Guess I'm done with this game. Sigh

MNC DoverCruor
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    They're getting absolutely ratio'd there, my goodness

Warlock82MNC Dover
    edited March 2023
    In which Niantic tries to hilariously justify their terrible decision with "well not that many people raid anyways":
    https://www.eurogamer.net/pokemon-go-developer-teases-blockbuster-slate-of-summer-features-as-it-makes-major-remote-raid-changes

Fuck you too Niantic.

(seriously the mental gymnastics this guy is going through to justify it is hilarious)

Warlock82 on
  • CSStheGr8CSStheGr8 Registered User regular
    I would think they'd be making bank on remote raid passes. Be interesting to see if the changes effect the bottom line and get reverted after a while.

3DS FC: 2363-6921-5075
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I can sort of understand making remote raids more expensive and giving more bonuses to in person. It fits with niantics idea of the game. Not that this idea of the game is ever coming back, but they're not willing to learn that and we know.

I absolutely cannot understand why they restrict remote raids to 5 per day. This move only hurts whales. You know, the group of players that keep the lights on at niantic. It's just such a baffling decision, I don't even know where they are coming from here.

I have already stopped playing. I was playing less and less and some things felt more like a chore, so I stopped. Obviously I didn't like some changes and also wanted some changes we never got (UX overhaul when?) but I can't point to a single reason, it's more a general fatigue with the game.

It's going to be interesting to see if the outrage is big enough to get them to revert these "updates".

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Just make straight Premium Passes. You get however many free raid passes, and up to 5 Premium passes, and they can be used for any raids, up to 5 per day. That way the folks who want to pay to win still can, but the effect is at least slightly muted.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Warlock82
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    In which Niantic tries to hilariously justify their terrible decision with "well not that many people raid anyways":
    https://www.eurogamer.net/pokemon-go-developer-teases-blockbuster-slate-of-summer-features-as-it-makes-major-remote-raid-changes

Fuck you too Niantic.

(seriously the mental gymnastics this guy is going through to justify it is hilarious)
    My quote skills are lacking, Warlock. Apologies.

Distorting the game economy

The hell does that even mean, that making the company money is somehow bad for business?
    As a heavily engaged daily player, it's pretty unusual for me to use five Remote Raid passes in a day

Just because you haven't means very few people use that many anyway? Then why even bother with the cap and the faux outrage it might cause?

This whole thing is stupid. I can't remember a company being this desperate to lose money and piss of its customer base over an ideology only they prescribe to.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    Well, I won't stop playing but it certain means I am going to give Niantic less of my money. Baffling decision by the company.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    In other news, Pokemon Go was among the top 10-grossing mobile apps for February according to Circana (formerly NPD).

Which leads me to think Niantic's raising prices to try to cover for the other apps that haven't caught on. But if that's the case, why restrict the number of mobile passes each day? I'm sure way less than one percent of the userbase hits that limit, but introducing a random restriction is going to annoy way, way more people.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Someone ping me in like 5-10 years when I might be able to talk about all this stuff. :(

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Someone ping me in like 5-10 years when I might be able to talk about all this stuff. :(

So sorry your wife's going through this, it sounds like she's really dedicated to the success of the game to the point of stress.

Warlock82Ruldar
    edited March 2023
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Fuck you too Niantic.

My quote skills are lacking, Warlock. Apologies.

Distorting the game economy

The hell does that even mean, that making the company money is somehow bad for business?
    As a heavily engaged daily player, it's pretty unusual for me to use five Remote Raid passes in a day

Just because you haven't means very few people use that many anyway? Then why even bother with the cap and the faux outrage it might cause?

This whole thing is stupid. I can't remember a company being this desperate to lose money and piss of its customer base over an ideology only they prescribe to.

So they apparently have this weird idea that the super whales doing 100 remote raids or whatever to get a team of hundo legendaries is somehow unbalancing.. I guess PvP? Raids? But see... that's gonna happen regardless. The people living pretty in San Francisco with their ten billion gyms and crazy amount of active players probably have no trouble finding local raids. They can still do that, albeit now slightly more mildly annoying. The people in rural areas who are lucky to have ONE gym? Yeah, fuck them I guess! Even more imbalance in PvP! Because THAT'S still remote! Even my situation isn't too bad regarding gyms but the local community barely exists anymore. I am lucky to see one raid request a week, at best, on the discord. (Edit: And all this is assuming the game even works, which like 10% of the time it just doesn't and I get kicked out of a raid or whatever because of bugs/gps drift/random bullshit)

You wanna know why elite raids work Mr. "Well Elite Raids are working so people must be able to local raid again!"? It's because they have a set god damn time, known 24 hours in advance. Even then my experience has been "show up at a random gym that someone happens to call out on the discord (after prodding them "hey are we starting somewhere?" like ten times because again, it's pretty dead) and hope enough people went to that one first." I lived through the early years of local raiding. It was a pain in the ass! THIS WAS A BIG REASON WHY I QUIT! Try getting 5+ more people together for a rando gym in a rando location with like 15 mins left on the timer. It sucks. It's a huge hassle. I refuse to put up with that bullshit again. You know why I came back and was HAVING FUN? REMOTE RAIDS. It was like, holy shit, I can raid on my time, not have to deal with the bullshit, not have to deal with my social anxiety, and I even get to meet cool people from South Korea and Japan and shit - not in person, but I get to see their postcards which is fun and they send me raid invites sometimes which is fun! I don't have to be physically touching a person to consider them a friend and enjoy playing games with them.

It's so frustrating because I was really having fun. They were improving the game, making all these changes that should have been done like seven years ago. Then this bullshit. Same old Niantic. And I don't even know why I bother arguing them because that whole thing is a fucking lie anyways. They want people to go outside. That's it. They want 2016 Pokemon Go. There is no imbalance with remote raiding. It just doesn't encourage 2016 Pokemon Go.

And it's so baffling to me. The mainline series doesn't have these restrictions. That even started off very similarly - you had to meet up with other people to trade. They encouraged it! But Pokemon was also one of the first Nintendo games to really experiment with online features way back in Emerald when it was only for some weird Japanese cell phones. But it was there. And it got a little better each gen. Now you can raid whenever you want, you can queue up for random raids. There's no restrictions there. Sure is nice. You can even trade remotely! Wouldn't that be great?!

Niantic wonders why their other projects flop horribly? Shit like this is why. The only reason this game is still going is because it's Pokemon. Period, full stop. It's IN SPITE of how they run the game. Or at least, it was. This is gonna be the final straw for a lot of people, not just me.

(Sorry, this shit just pisses me off so much.. Oh and yesterday was also the day another mobile game I play announced end of service, so yeah, wonderful day all around!)

Edit:

So sorry your wife's going through this, it sounds like she's really dedicated to the success of the game to the point of stress.

And yeah, ditto. I don't blame your wife or probably a majority of the people working on the game. This is John Hanke bullshit for sure.

Warlock82 on
    Capt HowdyRuldar
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Thanks. Yeah, there's just...a lot going on with this game. I really shouldn't even be saying anything so I'm gonna shush for a few years. But when I do talk...whew!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Warlock82Ruldar
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    like...
    i can go out to each gym close to me and plant myself there
    i still won't have a bunch of people to raid with me. Even if I go to a gym and use a regular raid pass, the other people in the raid will be from elsewhere, using remote passes.
    This makes no sense at all

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Capt HowdyWarlock82
    Okay, the Pidgey event is funny.

like...
    i can go out to each gym close to me and plant myself there
    i still won't have a bunch of people to raid with me. Even if I go to a gym and use a regular raid pass, the other people in the raid will be from elsewhere, using remote passes.
    This makes no sense at all

It's absolutely stupid but I think it makes sense in a "fuck the player" greed sense. Niantic makes a ton of money selling AR location data and they can't get this if everyone is remote raiding. They probably make more money selling this data than they assume they'll lose from people quitting the game (and the increased price probably also helps offset this for the people who don't quit).

I found this article on it that kinda covers what they do
    https://kotaku.com/the-creators-of-pokemon-go-mapped-the-world-now-theyre-1838974714

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    If they want the AR data just make every raid egg an on-ramp for grouping the way dens work in the Switch games.

• RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    There's a new #HearUsNiantic campaign going on, seems to coordinated around the following statement:

2pd1e0gibura1.jpg?width=2048&format=pjpg&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=078f8028ea22dcc754365f0c9870af910eb28431
    8imww8plbura1.jpg?width=2048&format=pjpg&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=8c603e69ad0c9fdbcd312d979821b9dd46d850b4

That's some good and reasonable ideas.

Warlock82
    I saw that (and thank you person who wrote that for even remembering those of us with social anxiety :3). Curious to see how they respond (if they respond). Though to be honest, at this point I think they could completely reverse their decision and I still couldn't in good conscience support this game anymore. The community shouldn't HAVE to scream at the top of our lungs just to be heard. This shouldn't be a thing, period, let alone the SECOND TIME this hash tag has trended in, has it even been a year since the last time? They spent a year *actually* rebuilding some of my trust (for like the first time in seven years) only to completely throw it all away. It's just so disheartening.

I've still been logging in, barely, if only to work towards my Masterwork research. I paid for that damn thing, I'm gonna get my freaking shiny Jirachi dammit. But it's a weird feeling seeing me run out of incubators and just having no desire to buy more as the eggs pile up. Because I refuse to give them another dime at this point.

Capt Howdy
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Heya... basically been using the game to amuse my 7 year old daughter. I played it a bit quite a long time ago. So now I'm playing it and making her use her Mom's phone. Anyway, I got a stop right by my house, but I have to actually leave my house to spin it which makes me cry. And here's my problem. I have 457/350 items and I can't spin the dang thing.

What to do? I'll post the inventory in the spoiler below.
    60 Super Pot
    65 Hyper Pot
    76 Revive
    33 Pok ball
    109 Great ball
    10 Ultra ball
    50 Razz
    32 Nanab
    5 Pinap
    4 Incense
    3 Lucky egg
    2 Mysterious Comp

What to throw away? Or is Spinning that sign even worth it, other than for my research quest?

50433.png?1708759015
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Personally I've rarely found nanab berries to be worthwhile, I keep like 5 around in case I get the random "use 5 nanab berries" quest but I'll trash any extra that I come across.

HevachBanzai5150cloudeagleWarlock82Magell
    With that many great balls I'd bin the regulars along with the nanabs. That's 65 easy items burned out of 107 you're overflowed.

If you don't use a berry every throw you'll end up with a huge pile of razz berries which after a point you can just discard, you could just toss the whole lot and be back in the green right there.

Also do a heal pass on your pokemon, eat up some healing items. Always use up small ones first, from an inventory standpoint it's better to spam 6 regular potions on one pokemon than one hyper/max.

A last option is to take a walk and use the incense and a lucky egg - there's two items gone plus a steady stream of balls/berries expended while you walk.

Banzai5150
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Feels like they really juiced the shiny rate for the event. In the last day I've gotten shiny Hoppip, shiny flower Buneary, and shiny flower Chansey. The Chansey is especially nice with the Spring green and the flowers. I wish Blissey's shiny was similarly green.

You know, I was wondering if the shiny rate got bumped over the last couple of weeks - I've had a little better luck than usual lately. Managed to get a shiny Diglett and a shiny Pansear during the last event, and my wife, who doesn't play as much, got a shiny Pansage.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Conversely I haven't seen a shiny in weeks, so I think you're just on a lucky streak!

Warlock82Capt Howdy
    Conversely I haven't seen a shiny in weeks, so I think you're just on a lucky streak!

Yeah, I got a shiny Pansear but I don't think much else. But then I also haven't been playing a super ton since... things happened... :/

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Heya... basically been using the game to amuse my 7 year old daughter. I played it a bit quite a long time ago. So now I'm playing it and making her use her Mom's phone. Anyway, I got a stop right by my house, but I have to actually leave my house to spin it which makes me cry. And here's my problem. I have 457/350 items and I can't spin the dang thing.

What to do? I'll post the inventory in the spoiler below.
    60 Super Pot
    65 Hyper Pot
    76 Revive
    33 Pok ball
    109 Great ball
    10 Ultra ball
    50 Razz
    32 Nanab
    5 Pinap
    4 Incense
    3 Lucky egg
    2 Mysterious Comp

What to throw away? Or is Spinning that sign even worth it, other than for my research quest?

I'd toss a bunch of the revives if you're not doing raids or battling in gyms to have your pokemon faint in the first place as well as like half of each potion. I'd also dump like 20 of the Razz's

Banzai5150
    I ended up dumping the things you guys suggested and bought two +50 bag things.

As a new player how do I figure out who to evolve and power up? I have nothing special yet and I only need a few decent to smack around Rocket when they pop up

50433.png?1708759015

As a new player how do I figure out who to evolve and power up? I have nothing special yet and I only need a few decent to smack around Rocket when they pop up

How new are you? If you're under level 30 or so I wouldn't recommend leveling anything up just yet - it's extremely likely you'll blunder into a better/higher CP version. And you'll be at level 30 soon enough. So I'd save the stardust for now.

In the meantime, here's a good site that lists the best Pokemon for Go by type. Yeah, yeah - you're going to have to scroll past a bunch of legendaries, megas, and shadows. But keep scrolling and you can learn stuff like, say, a Roselia is a much better option for grass than a Bellsprout.

Banzai5150
    edited April 2023

It depends on what you mostly wanna do, but assuming it involves raiding of some form (which you kinda have to do for PvP too?), having good type coverage is really helpful. Look up what some of the best raid attackers are for each type and focus on those if you have them, though obviously you won't have all of them or even a lot of them yet. Even if something isn't the best, if you can get stuff with high CP and moves of that type, that's still a good chunk of the way there. Just as an example - Mewtwo is the best Psychic attacker but obviously not easily available (or like right now, not at all available). Stuff like Espeon, etc are fine alternatives - whatever you can get and get candy for. And you'll need multiples of each type anyways for teams of 6+.

Generally speaking try to power up the ones with better IVs (4*/3*/2*) but CP is *way* more important so don't worry that much if you're using like, a 0* with high CP. The difference isn't really that significant (especially for PvE content)

Edit: Starting out this is probably less of a thing you can do, but you'll accumulate fast and charged TMs as you raid and do other stuff. You can look up what some of the best move combos are for different pokemon (I personally like gamepress - I find it easiest to read) and try to get those on your best mons. Sometimes this can make a really big difference.

Edit: Oh, and a lot of the lists will have Shadow pokemon way at the top. You can kinda ignore those in most cases as a lot of them won't be available and you probably can't remove Frustration yet anyways.

Also here's an infographic from about a month ago so it should be fairly up-to-date
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/11gcp4n/top_dps_top_overall_v21/

Warlock82 on
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

Just evolve the pokemon you like and power them up at first. You don't have to worry about powergaming until you're a higher level and able to get more powerful pokemon.

Warlock82CruorHalos Nach Tariff
    Magell wrote: »

Just evolve the pokemon you like and power them up at first. You don't have to worry about powergaming until you're a higher level and able to get more powerful pokemon.

Yeah this too :) Like I said, just having type coverage and high CP is way more important than having specific mons, so whatever is easiest or you like the best is always a good option :3

Yeah I’m only lvl 21. I’ll keep just catching!

50433.png?1708759015
    edited April 2023
    Just went out for a walk with the wife to hatch some eggs. Why do I have a few different looking Meowth's?

edit: How, when I have a bunch of the same type, do I tell which to keep and which to transfer? Also, once I evolve it, is it worth to have another evolved version? Maybe just for candy?

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Early on, I'd keep high CP pokes, to help with gyms and team rocket.
    Later on, I only keep 4*/3* stuff (get your Pokemon rated by your leader), or high CP things that are optimised for battles, or lower CP pokes for Great battle league.

Really though, you go out and put pokes in gyms, to earn coins to buy storage increases so you can catch more pokes and get more items without worrying about the cap.

And obviously you keep your starter

discrider on
    Banzai5150
    Just went out for a walk with the wife to hatch some eggs. Why do I have a few different looking Meowth's?
    Starting with Sun/Moon, Pokemon introduced regional variants of existing species. These might have different types, different stats, and in a few cases different evolutions than the original, so they're effectively a whole different pokemon but nested into the same Pokedex number.

Meowth has gotten two regional variants, one of which has a different evolution, Perserker.

Banzai5150

edit: How, when I have a bunch of the same type, do I tell which to keep and which to transfer? Also, once I evolve it, is it worth to have another evolved version? Maybe just for candy?

On whether it's worth it to have another evolved version - I'd check the list of best Pokemon by type and play it by ear as you build your collection. If you're just starting out, having multiple Hariyama is good enough for raids/Rockets weak to fighting. But Machamp is significantly better, so as you add those, you can safely get rid of excess Hariyama. But Concledurr is better still (though Timburr is a bit of a pain to get in this game), etc.

Really, work with what you've got now, but as you catch more, don't be afraid to transfer less useful 'mon.