As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon Go] Remote Control

11213151718

Posts

  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Saw this on the hear us hashtag and... savage

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Btw if you didn't complete the Mystic Hero Special Research then whatever step you were on has probably cleared and will need to be redone (you'll know next time you log in and see "Streak Broken" 3 times quickly) because why make a good game people will enjoy when you can just take more stuff away from folks

    Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Warlock82
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Btw if you didn't complete the Mystic Hero Special Research then whatever step you were on has probably cleared and will need to be redone (you'll know next time you log in and see "Streak Broken" 3 times quickly) because why make a good game people will enjoy when you can just take more stuff away from folks

    I heard about that. I got a notification that I had to complete it before the event ended so I made sure to get the last candy I needed. I wonder if Niantic tried to do that and screwed up? Or else they just screwed up with the reset thing. Either way, seems par for the course these days :/

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

    So is the strategy to grab as many licenses as they can before people realize the only reason PoGo took off was cuz Pokemon and not AR? :P (also something something wonder how long this one will survive - frankly a little amazed Pikmin Bloom is still going)

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    I saw the problems with the current research mentioned yesterday when it started happening to the far east beta players and thought to myself "surely they'll fix that before it gets to the middle of the US" and I was not correct in my guess.

  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I've played the NBA one and it is pretty fun to play. The gyms are courts instead and you compete at a decent mobile basketball game to beat people one on one. It's got a nice twist on how you get players on your team with multiple little mini-games to best them one on one and have them join your team.

    If they remember people like Monster Hunter to fight the monsters and dress up their dude and cat companion and don't make it so you collect the monsters it could be interesting.

  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Magell wrote: »
    If they remember people like Monster Hunter to fight the monsters and dress up their dude and cat companion and don't make it so you collect the monsters it could be interesting.

    Narrator: They did not remember

    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Yeah, I should have known better than to post that.

    (The article says you fight monsters instead of collecting them and there are useful Pelco companions, for chrissake)

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, I should have known better than to post that.

    (The article says you fight monsters instead of collecting them and there are useful Pelco companions, for chrissake)

    It looks like a Monster Hunter game I can actually play because the combat won't drive me as insane it does on a console.

  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Also Niantic just fixed the Mystic Hero research glitch (page 3 will auto-complete).

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Can I finally talk about MH: Go here? I got to play it before the beta, albeit not much, so AMA.

    Note: I’ve only played like 5-minutes of MH games, so I might not be of much help. 😅

    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The wife just encountered a shiny, blanch costume Lapris from the special research, which is apparently stupid rare. Japan visit luck strikes!

    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Cojo MojocloudeagleMagellCapt Howdy
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Can I finally talk about MH: Go here? I got to play it before the beta, albeit not much, so AMA.

    Note: I’ve only played like 5-minutes of MH games, so I might not be of much help. 😅

    How does the fighting feel on a smartphone?

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Can I finally talk about MH: Go here? I got to play it before the beta, albeit not much, so AMA.

    Note: I’ve only played like 5-minutes of MH games, so I might not be of much help. 😅

    How does the fighting feel on a smartphone?

    Fast paced. You mainly attack by tapping the monster and then swiping in a direction to dodge the attacks. That’s the basic flow, but it was early and the monsters were easy.

    I’m assuming different weapons will have faster/slower attack windows.

    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Can I finally talk about MH: Go here? I got to play it before the beta, albeit not much, so AMA.

    Note: I’ve only played like 5-minutes of MH games, so I might not be of much help. 😅

    How does the fighting feel on a smartphone?

    Fast paced. You mainly attack by tapping the monster and then swiping in a direction to dodge the attacks. That’s the basic flow, but it was early and the monsters were easy.

    I’m assuming different weapons will have faster/slower attack windows.

    Yeah, the article said you can knock bits off monsters and swap between weapons.

    This could be interesting!

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    MNC Dover
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    So it's basically Pokemon Go battles? Ugh.

    Warlock82
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    So it's basically Pokemon Go battles? Ugh.

    You can switch weapons and knock bits off Pokemon?

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    So it's basically Pokemon Go battles? Ugh.

    You can switch weapons and knock bits off Pokemon?

    Kinda. You can switch Pokemon and moves. Then I assume it plays out very similarly to PvP/Rocket fights.

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    So it's basically Pokemon Go battles? Ugh.

    You can switch weapons and knock bits off Pokemon?

    Kinda. You can switch Pokemon and moves. Then I assume it plays out very similarly to PvP/Rocket fights.

    Or we could ask MMC Dover and not assume. :P

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Well I was going by what he said which was "tap the screen to attack the monster and swipe to dodge".

    Warlock82
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Well I was going by what he said which was "tap the screen to attack the monster and swipe to dodge".

    Dodging isn't really viable in PoGo, so it sounds very, very different.

    I mean, aside from tapping the screen, which is what 95% of smartphone games do. Niantic totally should have thought of a different method, such as belching into the microphone.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Well I was going by what he said which was "tap the screen to attack the monster and swipe to dodge".

    Dodging isn't really viable in PoGo, so it sounds very, very different.

    I mean, aside from tapping the screen, which is what 95% of smartphone games do. Niantic totally should have thought of a different method, such as belching into the microphone.

    Or you could chill on the hyperbole lmao

    Warlock82Banzai5150
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    However if you had to belch into the microphone every time you finished eating before an expedition to get a bonus then I wouldn't be mad.

  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Well I was going by what he said which was "tap the screen to attack the monster and swipe to dodge".

    Dodging isn't really viable in PoGo, so it sounds very, very different.

    I mean, aside from tapping the screen, which is what 95% of smartphone games do. Niantic totally should have thought of a different method, such as belching into the microphone.

    Or you could chill on the hyperbole lmao

    How is it hyperbole? Saying tapping on the screen makes it sound like Pogo Rocket battles is like saying Mario games play exactly like Halo because you're pressing controller buttons.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Well I was going by what he said which was "tap the screen to attack the monster and swipe to dodge".

    Dodging isn't really viable in PoGo, so it sounds very, very different.

    I mean, aside from tapping the screen, which is what 95% of smartphone games do. Niantic totally should have thought of a different method, such as belching into the microphone.

    Or you could chill on the hyperbole lmao

    How is it hyperbole? Saying tapping on the screen makes it sound like Pogo Rocket battles is like saying Mario games play exactly like Halo because you're pressing controller buttons.

    Yep that's exactly what I mean. I want belching to attack now and you put that out there.

    MNC Dover HIMSELF specifically said "you tap the screen to attack and swipe to dodge" in which I fucking responded "Ugh sounds like it's the same combat as Pokemon Go". Which is, in fact, made by the same company. And is, in fact, my least favorite part of Pokemon Go. Tapping the screen to attack and swiping to dodge is dull and tiresome. He didn't say "tap in rhythm and swipe in different directions to change stances and hit specific parts of the monster". He said "tap to attack a monster" which SOUNDS LIKE POKEMON GO BECAUSE YOU TAP TO ATTACK A POKEMON IN POKEMON GO.

    So I'm not quite sure why you're trying to be so fucking reductive about this. If you go up to a person and fucking ask them "hey how do you fight in Pokemon Go?" they'd respond "you tap to attack and swipe to dodge". Which is the exact fucking thing he said about this game.

    Warlock82
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Which, by the way, is how they should do the combat in the Monster Hunter Go game. Depending on the weapon you tap to swing then swipe to change stances and tap again to swing. Do it in a sort of rhythm to get combos off. If you've ever played a MH game simply attacking won't get you anywhere.

    Hopefully they do something with that but I have my doubts. Niantic has shown that they aren't too terribly concerned with keeping in line with the original games than they are about monetizing every little thing about the game. (No offense MNC Dover, this isn't on your wife).

    urahonky on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    People actually try to dodge in Gym battles? I gave it a few tries and went right back to tapping.

    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    Gnizmo
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Well I was going by what he said which was "tap the screen to attack the monster and swipe to dodge".

    Dodging isn't really viable in PoGo, so it sounds very, very different.

    I mean, aside from tapping the screen, which is what 95% of smartphone games do. Niantic totally should have thought of a different method, such as belching into the microphone.

    Or you could chill on the hyperbole lmao

    How is it hyperbole? Saying tapping on the screen makes it sound like Pogo Rocket battles is like saying Mario games play exactly like Halo because you're pressing controller buttons.

    Yep that's exactly what I mean. I want belching to attack now and you put that out there.

    MNC Dover HIMSELF specifically said "you tap the screen to attack and swipe to dodge" in which I fucking responded "Ugh sounds like it's the same combat as Pokemon Go". Which is, in fact, made by the same company. And is, in fact, my least favorite part of Pokemon Go. Tapping the screen to attack and swiping to dodge is dull and tiresome. He didn't say "tap in rhythm and swipe in different directions to change stances and hit specific parts of the monster". He said "tap to attack a monster" which SOUNDS LIKE POKEMON GO BECAUSE YOU TAP TO ATTACK A POKEMON IN POKEMON GO.

    So I'm not quite sure why you're trying to be so fucking reductive about this. If you go up to a person and fucking ask them "hey how do you fight in Pokemon Go?" they'd respond "you tap to attack and swipe to dodge". Which is the exact fucking thing he said about this game.

    Except we don't know how we tap and what we do. In PoGo, you tap constantly, as fast as you can, other than to mash the charge button. (Which is how you need to describe it to other people to give them the idea of how it plays.) It might be that in Monster Hunter, tapping as fast as you can doesn't help. Maybe you have to tap in the rhythm? Maybe you have to tap specific parts of the monster? Which could have a completely different feel than PoGo, even though it boils down to "you tap the screen." Just like "you press buttons" doesn't tell you the difference between Mario and Halo. So we have no reason to believe Monster Hunter fighting will be like PoGo battles.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    People actually try to dodge in Gym battles? I gave it a few tries and went right back to tapping.

    I do it in raids when my type takes 2x damage. You can usually tell when they're prepping a big attack.

    discrider
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Well I was going by what he said which was "tap the screen to attack the monster and swipe to dodge".

    Dodging isn't really viable in PoGo, so it sounds very, very different.

    I mean, aside from tapping the screen, which is what 95% of smartphone games do. Niantic totally should have thought of a different method, such as belching into the microphone.

    Or you could chill on the hyperbole lmao

    How is it hyperbole? Saying tapping on the screen makes it sound like Pogo Rocket battles is like saying Mario games play exactly like Halo because you're pressing controller buttons.

    Yep that's exactly what I mean. I want belching to attack now and you put that out there.

    MNC Dover HIMSELF specifically said "you tap the screen to attack and swipe to dodge" in which I fucking responded "Ugh sounds like it's the same combat as Pokemon Go". Which is, in fact, made by the same company. And is, in fact, my least favorite part of Pokemon Go. Tapping the screen to attack and swiping to dodge is dull and tiresome. He didn't say "tap in rhythm and swipe in different directions to change stances and hit specific parts of the monster". He said "tap to attack a monster" which SOUNDS LIKE POKEMON GO BECAUSE YOU TAP TO ATTACK A POKEMON IN POKEMON GO.

    So I'm not quite sure why you're trying to be so fucking reductive about this. If you go up to a person and fucking ask them "hey how do you fight in Pokemon Go?" they'd respond "you tap to attack and swipe to dodge". Which is the exact fucking thing he said about this game.

    Except we don't know how we tap and what we do. In PoGo, you tap constantly, as fast as you can, other than to mash the charge button. (Which is how you need to describe it to other people to give them the idea of how it plays.) It might be that in Monster Hunter, tapping as fast as you can doesn't help. Maybe you have to tap in the rhythm? Maybe you have to tap specific parts of the monster? Which could have a completely different feel than PoGo, even though it boils down to "you tap the screen." Just like "you press buttons" doesn't tell you the difference between Mario and Halo. So we have no reason to believe Monster Hunter fighting will be like PoGo battles.

    Cool. Except he said "tap to attack and swipe to dodge". This sounds exactly like Pokemon Go. It's made by Niantic so I'm not sure why you are giving them the benefit of the doubt here.

  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Well I was going by what he said which was "tap the screen to attack the monster and swipe to dodge".

    Dodging isn't really viable in PoGo, so it sounds very, very different.

    I mean, aside from tapping the screen, which is what 95% of smartphone games do. Niantic totally should have thought of a different method, such as belching into the microphone.

    Or you could chill on the hyperbole lmao

    How is it hyperbole? Saying tapping on the screen makes it sound like Pogo Rocket battles is like saying Mario games play exactly like Halo because you're pressing controller buttons.

    Yep that's exactly what I mean. I want belching to attack now and you put that out there.

    MNC Dover HIMSELF specifically said "you tap the screen to attack and swipe to dodge" in which I fucking responded "Ugh sounds like it's the same combat as Pokemon Go". Which is, in fact, made by the same company. And is, in fact, my least favorite part of Pokemon Go. Tapping the screen to attack and swiping to dodge is dull and tiresome. He didn't say "tap in rhythm and swipe in different directions to change stances and hit specific parts of the monster". He said "tap to attack a monster" which SOUNDS LIKE POKEMON GO BECAUSE YOU TAP TO ATTACK A POKEMON IN POKEMON GO.

    So I'm not quite sure why you're trying to be so fucking reductive about this. If you go up to a person and fucking ask them "hey how do you fight in Pokemon Go?" they'd respond "you tap to attack and swipe to dodge". Which is the exact fucking thing he said about this game.

    Except we don't know how we tap and what we do. In PoGo, you tap constantly, as fast as you can, other than to mash the charge button. (Which is how you need to describe it to other people to give them the idea of how it plays.) It might be that in Monster Hunter, tapping as fast as you can doesn't help. Maybe you have to tap in the rhythm? Maybe you have to tap specific parts of the monster? Which could have a completely different feel than PoGo, even though it boils down to "you tap the screen." Just like "you press buttons" doesn't tell you the difference between Mario and Halo. So we have no reason to believe Monster Hunter fighting will be like PoGo battles.

    Cool. Except he said "tap to attack and swipe to dodge". This sounds exactly like Pokemon Go. It's made by Niantic so I'm not sure why you are giving them the benefit of the doubt here.

    ...no? Nobody dodges in PoGo, and he didn't say "tap as fast as you can." "Tap to attack" could mean anything. I don't know why people are so eager to dunk on this thing with zero real information.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Not true. Some people swipe to dodge, apparently. To me it's a waste of time that takes away from inflicting more damage, but if it works for some people then good for them. Plus you have to swipe for special attacks in normal battles.

    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Well I was going by what he said which was "tap the screen to attack the monster and swipe to dodge".

    Dodging isn't really viable in PoGo, so it sounds very, very different.

    I mean, aside from tapping the screen, which is what 95% of smartphone games do. Niantic totally should have thought of a different method, such as belching into the microphone.

    Or you could chill on the hyperbole lmao

    How is it hyperbole? Saying tapping on the screen makes it sound like Pogo Rocket battles is like saying Mario games play exactly like Halo because you're pressing controller buttons.

    Yep that's exactly what I mean. I want belching to attack now and you put that out there.

    MNC Dover HIMSELF specifically said "you tap the screen to attack and swipe to dodge" in which I fucking responded "Ugh sounds like it's the same combat as Pokemon Go". Which is, in fact, made by the same company. And is, in fact, my least favorite part of Pokemon Go. Tapping the screen to attack and swiping to dodge is dull and tiresome. He didn't say "tap in rhythm and swipe in different directions to change stances and hit specific parts of the monster". He said "tap to attack a monster" which SOUNDS LIKE POKEMON GO BECAUSE YOU TAP TO ATTACK A POKEMON IN POKEMON GO.

    So I'm not quite sure why you're trying to be so fucking reductive about this. If you go up to a person and fucking ask them "hey how do you fight in Pokemon Go?" they'd respond "you tap to attack and swipe to dodge". Which is the exact fucking thing he said about this game.

    Except we don't know how we tap and what we do. In PoGo, you tap constantly, as fast as you can, other than to mash the charge button. (Which is how you need to describe it to other people to give them the idea of how it plays.) It might be that in Monster Hunter, tapping as fast as you can doesn't help. Maybe you have to tap in the rhythm? Maybe you have to tap specific parts of the monster? Which could have a completely different feel than PoGo, even though it boils down to "you tap the screen." Just like "you press buttons" doesn't tell you the difference between Mario and Halo. So we have no reason to believe Monster Hunter fighting will be like PoGo battles.

    Cool. Except he said "tap to attack and swipe to dodge". This sounds exactly like Pokemon Go. It's made by Niantic so I'm not sure why you are giving them the benefit of the doubt here.

    ...no? Nobody dodges in PoGo, and he didn't say "tap as fast as you can." "Tap to attack" could mean anything. I don't know why people are so eager to dunk on this thing with zero real information.

    Oh so you don't know either. Cool. I'm keeping my expectations low.

  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Well I was going by what he said which was "tap the screen to attack the monster and swipe to dodge".

    Dodging isn't really viable in PoGo, so it sounds very, very different.

    I mean, aside from tapping the screen, which is what 95% of smartphone games do. Niantic totally should have thought of a different method, such as belching into the microphone.

    Or you could chill on the hyperbole lmao

    How is it hyperbole? Saying tapping on the screen makes it sound like Pogo Rocket battles is like saying Mario games play exactly like Halo because you're pressing controller buttons.

    Yep that's exactly what I mean. I want belching to attack now and you put that out there.

    MNC Dover HIMSELF specifically said "you tap the screen to attack and swipe to dodge" in which I fucking responded "Ugh sounds like it's the same combat as Pokemon Go". Which is, in fact, made by the same company. And is, in fact, my least favorite part of Pokemon Go. Tapping the screen to attack and swiping to dodge is dull and tiresome. He didn't say "tap in rhythm and swipe in different directions to change stances and hit specific parts of the monster". He said "tap to attack a monster" which SOUNDS LIKE POKEMON GO BECAUSE YOU TAP TO ATTACK A POKEMON IN POKEMON GO.

    So I'm not quite sure why you're trying to be so fucking reductive about this. If you go up to a person and fucking ask them "hey how do you fight in Pokemon Go?" they'd respond "you tap to attack and swipe to dodge". Which is the exact fucking thing he said about this game.

    Except we don't know how we tap and what we do. In PoGo, you tap constantly, as fast as you can, other than to mash the charge button. (Which is how you need to describe it to other people to give them the idea of how it plays.) It might be that in Monster Hunter, tapping as fast as you can doesn't help. Maybe you have to tap in the rhythm? Maybe you have to tap specific parts of the monster? Which could have a completely different feel than PoGo, even though it boils down to "you tap the screen." Just like "you press buttons" doesn't tell you the difference between Mario and Halo. So we have no reason to believe Monster Hunter fighting will be like PoGo battles.

    Cool. Except he said "tap to attack and swipe to dodge". This sounds exactly like Pokemon Go. It's made by Niantic so I'm not sure why you are giving them the benefit of the doubt here.

    ...no? Nobody dodges in PoGo, and he didn't say "tap as fast as you can." "Tap to attack" could mean anything. I don't know why people are so eager to dunk on this thing with zero real information.

    Oh so you don't know either. Cool. I'm keeping my expectations low.

    Well, the fact that you can cause bits to fly off monsters suggests the tapping is more strategic, but that's just my hope. I dunno, I'm just ready to wait and see what this thing actually is before starting the Two Minutes Hate yet again.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Well I was going by what he said which was "tap the screen to attack the monster and swipe to dodge".

    Dodging isn't really viable in PoGo, so it sounds very, very different.

    I mean, aside from tapping the screen, which is what 95% of smartphone games do. Niantic totally should have thought of a different method, such as belching into the microphone.

    Or you could chill on the hyperbole lmao

    How is it hyperbole? Saying tapping on the screen makes it sound like Pogo Rocket battles is like saying Mario games play exactly like Halo because you're pressing controller buttons.

    Yep that's exactly what I mean. I want belching to attack now and you put that out there.

    MNC Dover HIMSELF specifically said "you tap the screen to attack and swipe to dodge" in which I fucking responded "Ugh sounds like it's the same combat as Pokemon Go". Which is, in fact, made by the same company. And is, in fact, my least favorite part of Pokemon Go. Tapping the screen to attack and swiping to dodge is dull and tiresome. He didn't say "tap in rhythm and swipe in different directions to change stances and hit specific parts of the monster". He said "tap to attack a monster" which SOUNDS LIKE POKEMON GO BECAUSE YOU TAP TO ATTACK A POKEMON IN POKEMON GO.

    So I'm not quite sure why you're trying to be so fucking reductive about this. If you go up to a person and fucking ask them "hey how do you fight in Pokemon Go?" they'd respond "you tap to attack and swipe to dodge". Which is the exact fucking thing he said about this game.

    Except we don't know how we tap and what we do. In PoGo, you tap constantly, as fast as you can, other than to mash the charge button. (Which is how you need to describe it to other people to give them the idea of how it plays.) It might be that in Monster Hunter, tapping as fast as you can doesn't help. Maybe you have to tap in the rhythm? Maybe you have to tap specific parts of the monster? Which could have a completely different feel than PoGo, even though it boils down to "you tap the screen." Just like "you press buttons" doesn't tell you the difference between Mario and Halo. So we have no reason to believe Monster Hunter fighting will be like PoGo battles.

    Cool. Except he said "tap to attack and swipe to dodge". This sounds exactly like Pokemon Go. It's made by Niantic so I'm not sure why you are giving them the benefit of the doubt here.

    ...no? Nobody dodges in PoGo, and he didn't say "tap as fast as you can." "Tap to attack" could mean anything. I don't know why people are so eager to dunk on this thing with zero real information.

    Oh so you don't know either. Cool. I'm keeping my expectations low.

    Well, the fact that you can cause bits to fly off monsters suggests the tapping is more strategic, but that's just my hope. I dunno, I'm just ready to wait and see what this thing actually is before starting the Two Minutes Hate yet again.

    I'm just stating my feelings. I'm not looking to shit on it. The one thing I hate about Pokemon Go is how mindless battles are. I want something different and his initial report sounds just like it. So I'm lowering my expectations because if it ends up good then I'll be pleasantly surprised. Otherwise I can mentally say "yeah other than the battle system it's fun".

  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    A big reason pokemon go battles are kind of mindless is that the attack animations lock you out of dodging until the attack lands (which might not actually correspond to the animation) so you need to stop your spam attack and wait for the last one to finish before you can dodge.

    That same basic formula could be very different if it were more responsive or allowed changing actions mid stream like Monster Hunter games do.

    Hevach on
    cloudeagleRuldar
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    After the remote raid nerfs they get zero benefits of any doubts from me anymore. But whatever, I don't actually care about this game either way. (We'll see if Niantic does in a year or two :P)

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    urahonky
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Ok you nerds, I saw all these posts and fired the game up again so I can provide greater clarity for the combat.

    Tapping starts an attack. Mid swing, you can tap again for another strike. Each weapon appears to have a set amount of hits.

    Skipping dodges in that direction. Left, right, forward, and back. Positioning does seem to matter to avoid directional attacks and exploit weak spots. The targeted damage appears to be position based instead of tapping on a specific body part, but I could be wrong. It was tricky to tell in my short testing.

    Monsters have varied attacks that target locations. Vertical and horizontal swipes and slashes. Sometimes they jump and one even just tried to roll me over. One monster spit goop on the ground which I had to navigate around for the rest of the battle. A neat thing I discovered on accident was that I could counter the rolling attack mid-roll and expose the monsters stomach. Not sure how I did it, but I’d imagine some monsters have this sort of trick to them.

    I tried out more than just the sword/shield today and it changes things up a lot. Some weapons have a type bonus (water, fire, etc) which make them better be certain monsters. Not sure if you can change or remove types yet.

    Attacking with this huge sword was a lot slower and punishing if I just mashed like with the sword/shield. I did find that you can cancel attacks midswing with a dodge, which saved me a lot of life and time.

    Speaking of which, the fights appear to be 60 seconds. Don’t defeat the monster in time and it runs away. You also get hurt hard by the giant monsters. Using potions mid battle is important.

    As someone who hasn’t played much MH or P:Go, I will say it feels denote like MH in terms of fighting. While battles are fast, they have more depth to them. When I watch my wife to battles in PGO, she just mashes the screen and swipes like crazy during a power up sequence. MH is not that at all.

    You have to focus on attacking quickly while positioning yourself better to avoid attacks and exploit weaknesses. Is it MH I’m at depth? Probably not, but it does well for being a mobile take on the game.

    I hope that clarifies things a bit. Take all this with a big grain of salt though. I’d suggest giving the beta a try.

    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    cloudeagleMagell
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    In other news, PoGo's giving out free Shaymins for Sustainability Week if you missed them the first time.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
Sign In or Register to comment.