As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon Go] Remote Control

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Ok you nerds, I saw all these posts and fired the game up again so I can provide greater clarity for the combat.

Tapping starts an attack. Mid swing, you can tap again for another strike. Each weapon appears to have a set amount of hits.

Skipping dodges in that direction. Left, right, forward, and back. Positioning does seem to matter to avoid directional attacks and exploit weak spots. The targeted damage appears to be position based instead of tapping on a specific body part, but I could be wrong. It was tricky to tell in my short testing.

Monsters have varied attacks that target locations. Vertical and horizontal swipes and slashes. Sometimes they jump and one even just tried to roll me over. One monster spit goop on the ground which I had to navigate around for the rest of the battle. A neat thing I discovered on accident was that I could counter the rolling attack mid-roll and expose the monsters stomach. Not sure how I did it, but I’d imagine some monsters have this sort of trick to them.

I tried out more than just the sword/shield today and it changes things up a lot. Some weapons have a type bonus (water, fire, etc) which make them better be certain monsters. Not sure if you can change or remove types yet.

Attacking with this huge sword was a lot slower and punishing if I just mashed like with the sword/shield. I did find that you can cancel attacks midswing with a dodge, which saved me a lot of life and time.

Speaking of which, the fights appear to be 60 seconds. Don’t defeat the monster in time and it runs away. You also get hurt hard by the giant monsters. Using potions mid battle is important.

As someone who hasn’t played much MH or P:Go, I will say it feels denote like MH in terms of fighting. While battles are fast, they have more depth to them. When I watch my wife to battles in PGO, she just mashes the screen and swipes like crazy during a power up sequence. MH is not that at all.

You have to focus on attacking quickly while positioning yourself better to avoid attacks and exploit weaknesses. Is it MH I’m at depth? Probably not, but it does well for being a mobile take on the game.

I hope that clarifies things a bit. Take all this with a big grain of salt though. I’d suggest giving the beta a try.

Thankfully it does sound like it's got some more meat on them bones but I'm going to have to try it myself. Thank you for the clarification.

MNC Dover
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Man, if only I could get excited for this :/

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Hmmm
    t95k4920cti7.png
    abboties6wha.png
    HHMMMMMM

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    It's possible those are just more boxes for the shop accidentally released early. I know they've been rotating through most boxes on a daily basis now. Does a pretty good job of making it hard to guess what's actually a good value.

Edit: Oh wait, that's an ability to pay for another bite at that particular apple. Missed the color.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Three Super Rocket Radars

Oh does that mean I can finally teach my Mewtwo a new move other than Frustration? Sheesh it feels like it's been forever.

Kleavor hits on a raid day next Saturday, 11-2 local time. It's a three-star raid, so there's no real need to get remote raid passes or groups (assuming you have gyms nearby).

edited May 2023
    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Stormwatcher
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Yeah I saw that... And I'm still blown away at how much money they still get per fucking month. $35 million!? Holy shit.

Warlock82MNC Dover
    edited May 2023
    urahonky wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Yeah I saw that... And I'm still blown away at how much money they still get per fucking month. $35 million!? Holy shit.

I mean, it's pokemon, so yeah. Also lately they've just been so blatant about it with the "Oh yeah, we're introducing Larvesta.... at an insanely low hatch rate, only in eggs.. oh but those incubators are on sale! Better get hatching for that 400 candy to evolve!" I'm sure that crap still gets some people (fuck I probably would have bought some before all this shit). They did it last month with the Riolu in eggs which ended up having an insanely low rate too.

Warlock82 on
    They now have to settle for being the app with the 12th highest revenue.

Still, from $57.9 million to $34.7 million in two months is pretty damn steep.

Warlock82Capt HowdyRuldar
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Niantic basically told a large portion of us they don't want our money because we are playing wrong and damaging the game's "environment", or some such nonsense.

They got what they asked for, let's see if they change their minds later.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    Warlock82discriderRuldar
    Yeah they really seem to care the most about people in larger cities. Here in Ohio the only time I saw people play the game was during that 3 day event that happened last year... Where you could get those legendary pokemon (totally forgot which one). But on a normal day me and my kids are the only ones walking around.

Back in 2016 EVERYONE was playing it but now it's less people outside of the large cities.

Warlock82NobodyQuid
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It is interesting to see the game have such a strong community after all these years and then Niantic still seems to find new ways to piss them off, almost like clockwork every year or even just every few months they do something silly. It's probably the longest supported piece of Pokemon software at this point.

Warlock82
    edited May 2023
    Yeah they really seem to care the most about people in larger cities.

This was honestly the feeling I got from them even back in like 2018-2019 when I quit last time. It really felt like "Hey, we live in San Francisco so we're totally out-of-touch with how this game looks in more remote places" and were basing all decisions on the idea that every place was like San Francisco (and likewise it's not like they're ever hosting a Go-Fest or Safari Zone in like.. Iowa... They are all similarly large cities. So even traveling to other places this is all they see). I mean, sure, they know some places are less populated or have fewer stops, but knowing and experiencing are two hugely different things.

Warlock82 on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    In the area I live in, gyms tend to have pokemon in them, but raids have dropped off dramatically. I think I've only seen one raid in the last year where there was somebody other than myself involved.

Granted, I don't raid often, but even the more populated areas tend to be dead.

Warlock82
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Pokemon stay in gyms until they're kicked out. I'm sure my Altaria that's been stuck in Holland, MI for nearly a year is still there. So pokemon in gyms isn't a measure of activity, gym turnover is.

They're so insistent on getting back to 2016... But looking at history 2020 was their peak revenue. But they want to build around a perceived average player to the detriment of the average *spending* player... Which doesn't make business sense but on the other hand most games do the opposite and that's *also* a pretty toxic environment to play in.

As a comparison, your most common gacha player probably has a couple good dudes (probably the starters and whatever high star promo was running when they installed) reasonably developed and opens a pull or two a day... But the game is still balanced around the player opening a 250 pull bonus pack every day with 650 million power and two hundred maxed out dudes.

Hevach on
    Warlock82
    2020 is when they released the remote raid passes right? That's not surprising that it brought them a lot of money.

Warlock82
    I wonder how much money the location data brings Niantic. That would be reported outside of the app income.

Then again it's probably telling that they're selling tickets to this year's Go Fest this far in advance with no details aside from vague bonus research if you buy early.

Warlock82
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I wonder how much money the location data brings Niantic. That would be reported outside of the app income.

Then again it's probably telling that they're selling tickets to this year's Go Fest this far in advance with no details aside from vague bonus research if you buy early.

See that's honestly why I think they're being stubborn about this. They can't get location data from remote raiders. They need people walking around. I think they must get a lot from selling this data. That and the more they expand their little AR network of stops and stuff the more licenses they pick up from companies still thinking they can make the next Pokemon Go with their license :P

Either that or Hanke is just really, really, really committed to his weird ass vision for the game to be 2016 Pokemon Go again. I kinda doubt it :P

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Pokemon stay in gyms until they're kicked out. I'm sure my Altaria that's been stuck in Holland, MI for nearly a year is still there. So pokemon in gyms isn't a measure of activity, gym turnover is.

They're so insistent on getting back to 2016... But looking at history 2020 was their peak revenue. But they want to build around a perceived average player to the detriment of the average *spending* player... Which doesn't make business sense but on the other hand most games do the opposite and that's *also* a pretty toxic environment to play in.

As a comparison, your most common gacha player probably has a couple good dudes (probably the starters and whatever high star promo was running when they installed) reasonably developed and opens a pull or two a day... But the game is still balanced around the player opening a 250 pull bonus pack every day with 650 million power and two hundred maxed out dudes.

I mean, I do occasionally clear out gyms and put my own in there, and they rarely last more than 48 hours. I do see turnover on a day to day basis if I hit the same area twice.

I just don’t see groups hitting raids anymore

Gyms are different around here. I think they're constantly "flipping" but it's the same family that lives the near the park that takes it from me almost immediately after I get it.... so I don't waste my time anymore. Especially for the paltry 50 coins a day it just feels like it's more of a hassle than anything else.

Gyms are different around here. I think they're constantly "flipping" but it's the same family that lives the near the park that takes it from me almost immediately after I get it.... so I don't waste my time anymore. Especially for the paltry 50 coins a day it just feels like it's more of a hassle than anything else.

Screw that. We see a gym, it becomes our gym. Gotta mark our territory. But I'm done spending money to raid. No remote raid passes until they are free for me. Which makes the 50 a day coin limit seem even more terrible than it is.

Clutzy and I were easily spending $50 each a month before Niantic's Glorious Edict. They wanted it this way, they can have it this way.

Capt Howdy wrote: »

Screw that. We see a gym, it becomes our gym. Gotta mark our territory. But I'm done spending money to raid. No remote raid passes until they are free for me. Which makes the 50 a day coin limit seem even more terrible than it is.

Clutzy and I were easily spending $50 each a month before Niantic's Glorious Edict. They wanted it this way, they can have it this way.

Haha I used to be that way but standing around for 10ish minutes to connect to the gym and knock them out only to lose it on the walk back home is very disheartening especially since it takes so many coins to do anything. I swear they must live across the street or something in order to be able to grab it.

I have one like that with the gym near me. I'm pretty sure the house across the park plays because it's literally always the same Jangmo-o in there. But at least they leave it be for a bit usually. It's more like they can take it when they feel like it, but they don't guard it mercilessly.

edited May 2023
    There is one gym in our old neighborhood like that. I'd knock them out in the morning, then knock them out on the way home. Had to be the house next to the gym.

Capt Howdy on
    edited May 2023

... they chose a VERY suspicious wording here...
    "We generally don't comment on third-party estimates of our revenue as they are often incorrect, which is the case here," a Niantic spokesperson said. "Our revenue so far in 2023 is up on last year."

"We don't focus on month to month trends because they fluctuate based on major live events," Niantic continued. "This year's changes have already increased in-person Raiding and we're excited to introduce exciting new features over the coming months."

How convenient you don't focus on month-to-month, so your "revenue from 2023" includes three months out of four with un-nerfed remote passes -_- February this year was also when the Scarlet and Violet integration went live so no doubt they got a big influx of players from that. And March was Hoenn tour which debuted Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon. No shit your January-March numbers were up from last year. What a useless statement. (I legit would not be surprised if remote raiding for Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon is almost EXCLUSIVELY responsible for that)

Also hilarious they respond to this one immediately and still ignore the #HearUsNiantic movement.

Edit: Reddit also pointed out Zekrom, Rishiram and Rayquaza with exclusive new moves. They really front loaded the hype raids, didn't they? Almost like they were padding their numbers in prep for the remote pass announcement...

Warlock82 on
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Of course they go out of their way to address that report. Shareholders are easily scared, wouldn't want to make them think that Niantic isn't worth keeping stock in.

Warlock82
    edited May 2023
    Niantic isn't publicly traded so they don't really need to do any of that stuff in public. Presumably they have a tighter channel to their investors and those investors aren't as free to just cash out.

This is 100% the guy(s) who made the decision trying to stall for time while their grand plan comes to fruition. Framing it as YTD instead of month to month buys them probably two more months before their hand is properly forced.

Hevach on
    Niantic isn't publicly traded so they don't really need to do any of that stuff in public. Presumably they have a tighter channel to their investors and those investors aren't as free to just cash out.

It still looks really, really bad when they're trying to court like... Capcom... and the NBA... and Marvel...

If their track record with failed games doesn't do that, Pokemon Go finally faltering after seven years is probably a redeeming point.

If their track record with failed games doesn't do that, Pokemon Go finally faltering after seven years is probably a redeeming point.

Ha, that's true. I'm honestly amazed they're still getting such big names interested in what frankly was a fad that largely died like six years ago... But then corporations were never very smart :P (hell, look at how long they tried to copy World of WarCraft's success)

Yeah that gym bs is why I largely stopped bothering. Oh you don't care about other players and just want it to be "your" gym? ok fine don't make any coins.

Meanwhile when we were both commuting for work wife and easily made 50 coins a day because I'd flip it in the morning and she'd flip it back in the evening. Everyone won and it was great.

Warlock82
    Incidentally lately my phone's gps has just decided to go nuts which kinda makes PoGo unplayable. At least, I end up in super random places :/ I swear it's like someone bumped the gps satellite or something. Would blame PoGo but even Google Maps is messed up (PoGo is just more sensitive to it). Gonna have to mess with that to see if I can figure out what's going on (maybe a location setting got borked in a system update?)

edited May 2023
    Android has a "precision location" feature that isn't always precise.

If it's on, try turning it off. Conversely if it's off, try turning it on, because it uses non-GPS data to refine your location and if GPS itself is the problem this might fix it.

Google Maps is less effected because it tries to snap you to a road, so a lot of small to medium drift will get dampened. I'm pretty sure PG has no such feature, because there's a stretch near me where the real road is about 20 feet off Google's map and it'll just have me driving 55 in an onion field.

Hevach on
    Warlock82
    edited May 2023
    Android has a "precision location" feature that isn't always precise.

If it's on, try turning it off. Conversely if it's off, try turning it on, because it uses non-GPS data to refine your location and if GPS itself is the problem this might fix it.

Google Maps is less effected because it tries to snap you to a road, so a lot of small to medium drift will get dampened. I'm pretty sure PG has no such feature.

Yeah I need to dig into this. I've played with them in the past but its been awhile. I'm hoping its a simple fix.

Edit: Go figure, I go to look at this over lunch and now it's just working fine again -_- GPS y u hate me?

Warlock82 on
    Anyone else have a Zekrom significantly power up on its own? My best Zekrom somehow made its way into my top 4 CP wise. Same for Clutzy.

Hmm somehow in my attempts to get a Mime Jr. I got a Larvesta instead o_O I think I maybe hatched like two non-7ks total. Cool, whatever. I'll just walk this guy I guess. Back to trying for Mime Jr. before the event ends (difficult when I refuse to give them money but meh)

tlc03xpbwae1.png

https://www.dexerto.com/pokemon/the-silph-road-shuts-down-as-niantic-changes-ambassador-program-2144055/
    The Silph Road has revealed they’re closing down the website after Pokemon Go developers Niantic ended their partnership together.

Shortly after Pokemon Go was launched in 2016, fans banded together to create The Silph Road which quickly became one of the largest communities surrounding the mobile game.

Niantic partnered up with The Silph Road in 2022, which helped the website stay afloat without adding a ton of ads.

However, on May 12, 2023, TSR revealed they were shutting their doors after Niantic ended their partnership together.

thisIsFine.jpeg

Warlock82
    I imagine that TSR help keep the community healthy. I also imagine it wouldn't take a lot of money to keep afloat... Especially since they take in millions a month on a single game.

Warlock82