As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Victoria 3] Party Like It's 1836

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I just realized that battles actually have little artillery batteries and stuff going at it on the map. And I am pretty sure the cities are actually generated based on what buildings have been built in the state to some extent. How much dev time went to making all that, and how many people actually ever zoom in close enough to see any of it?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Speaking of Finland, in 1914 they decided they were done putting up with Russia's shit and started a revolution. I decided to help my fellow Scandinavians out, and used my modern army with all the goodies (except for tanks because there is NO OIL TO BE HAD AT ANY PRICE) to just stomp the numerical superior Russian army. Then I figured after the war was over I would see if I could invite Finland to my customs union and maybe annex them peacefully after that, but it turns out they are straight up Antagonistic towards me because I am a threat to their sovereignty! So I could start a diplo play to have them return my land, which I might give a go and see what happens, worst comes to worst I just straight up annex them if nobody comes to their defense. It would get me like another 3.5 million population, but I'd probably have to fix the economy in those provinces so it might not be worth the effort.

Here's something that should have been obvious, but completely escaped me for the majority of this run. I have had a moderately severe unemployment problem in several of my larger states for a while, and I was having a hard time figuring out why. I kept expanding my farms and ranches to provide more jobs! Except that kicks people out of being peasants and doesn't provide as many jobs as I just removed from subsistence farming, so every time I expanded a farm or ranch I was just creating even more unemployed people. Now that I have been not expanding my agriculture sector nearly as much, I've been able to bring down the unemployment levels a decent amount, though I still have a fair number of peasants living on subsistence farms that's better for my country's stability than straight up unemployed people.

I also completed all tech research by 1918, which was kind of interesting. Now if only countries would actually build oil rigs and let me buy that sweet black gold from them, I could get away from using so much coal. Russia hasn't even discovered any oil in their territory yet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    So it turns out that the reason none of my factories or mines were being staffed is that the peloponnese province starts with like 5k peasants. That seems a liiiiitle low. Especially as Attica starts with 110k...

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I can't say with any real degree of specificity, but my understanding is that Greece was severely underdeveloped and depopulated after centuries of ottoman rule and emigration during the time period.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Massena wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not completely against it and I understand the design choice to focus player attention on the economic. But the implementation is too opaque. What's going on under the hood needs to be much more clear, especially if it involves player choices. And I wouldn't mind some light player decision making, even if it's just a basic rock/paper/scissors mechanic or battle "Events" like CK3 duels.

I don't think warfare needs to be HOI4 (as much as I enjoy that game) but right now it feels very rng. Needs more than "hit the war button and wait for war to end, maybe raid some convoys."

Honestly, as much as I am enjoying this game (and it's single handedly saved what was a disappointing second half of gaming), there's just way too much hidden behind the scenes. I STILL don't know how ranking is calculated. Maybe its opaque to prevent really cheesy rush strategies (I mean there's obviously already strats to get number one, but it is frustrating in a game seeing my rank drop and having no clue why. If this info is already in, it is really well hidden.

Ranking is just prestige. If you mean great/major/minor power its prestige with a couple extra rules, like subjects must be a step lower than their overlord and unreconized civilizations can't be Great Powers.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/patch-notes-for-1-0-4.1553580/#post-28586460

First patch dropped. Overall seems like positive changes. I will take the adjustment to native uprisings. As a ton of little nothing happenings was meh. Especially considering colonizers lost many of those fights back in this time period.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Wow you can uh... with a little luck, run roughshod over the world as Japan.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

I was wondering about how the ROTW countries would do in this, as in Victoria 2 the only real viable ones were China, Japan, Persia, and Egypt, and even for those a lot of the first half of the game was just sitting around researching and hoping no one attacked you or if they did the AI bugged out and gave you some victories at a disadvantage.

• Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    Thanks for the videos earlier i am doing abit better this sweden game. Might partially be cause I joined france's custom union tho? Either way making alot more money so it doesn't look like I will collapse this game which is a big improvement.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

I was wondering about how the ROTW countries would do in this, as in Victoria 2 the only real viable ones were China, Japan, Persia, and Egypt, and even for those a lot of the first half of the game was just sitting around researching and hoping no one attacked you or if they did the AI bugged out and gave you some victories at a disadvantage.

Yeah you get a little bit more to do as far as getting Japan actually up and running as a 'modern country' this time around. You gotta kick the Shogunate out of power first off and that can be tricky. But once you get going you really can just kick everyone's ass because a lot of resources required for advanced consumer products/military products are found right where you are.

• Options
    Something that I have found a little annoying is the way Victoria 3 handles convoys. I watched my convoys go from about 3k surplus to 2.5k deficit without me doing anything, which then seemed to cause some market access issues in some areas. I have also watched my list of export routes needing convoys to expand not changing at all even with a massive surplus of convoys. It's a bit vexing. I hope the patch didn't break old saves, I'm at like 1920 and I want to finish my Scandinavia game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    So it turns out that the reason none of my factories or mines were being staffed is that the peloponnese province starts with like 5k peasants. That seems a liiiiitle low. Especially as Attica starts with 110k...

I started up a Greece game and ran into the same problem, I think the issue is that Peloponnese starts with 200k pop but about 500 a week will start moving to Attica. I get wanting to move to the capital you guys but please, I only have one iron mine in my entire country and I can't staff it if you all leave.

Edit: I have just found a (very stupid) solution to this: shut down all your trade routes and move your capital to Tripoli before making new ones. That will apply a 50% attraction modifier for Peloponnese, which because Greece doesn't start with the greener grass decree unlocked, seems to be the best way to avoid emptying out the countryside.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    SLyM wrote: »

I started up a Greece game and ran into the same problem, I think the issue is that Peloponnese starts with 200k pop but about 500 a week will start moving to Attica. I get wanting to move to the capital you guys but please, I only have one iron mine in my entire country and I can't staff it if you all leave.

Edit: I have just found a (very stupid) solution to this: shut down all your trade routes and move your capital to Tripoli before making new ones. That will apply a 50% attraction modifier for Peloponnese, which because Greece doesn't start with the greener grass decree unlocked, seems to be the best way to avoid emptying out the countryside.

This is a pretty realistic problem though, if not a realistic solution.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Been playing a very fun game as Persia.

Though the 1800's I focused on industrialisation, catapulting my GDP into 2nd place by the turn of the century.

Then my finances took a turn for the worse with the introduction of old age pensions and workplace protections. It turns out being unemployed became a better prospect than subsistence farming, putting a massive anchor on my government budget.

Went on a mass enclosure of the commons, turning all subsistence arable land into private farmland. And while my radical count has gone very, very high from kicking the last remaining subsistence farmers off their land, it's actually worked at coxing people out of unemployment and I'm back in the black!

There's a ton of things to be worked on, but so far I am loving the way all of the mechanics interact with each other and having a blast making the line go up

101 on
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    SLyM wrote: »

This is a pretty realistic problem though, if not a realistic solution.

yeah in reality you'd be able to coerce people to work in the -vitally important for national defense iron mine- by paying them twice as much as they can make being a mud farmer right outside Athens. In game I don't think you can get iron mines to pay enough per worker even at max price to attract people without automation techs.

SLyM on
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Massena wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not completely against it and I understand the design choice to focus player attention on the economic. But the implementation is too opaque. What's going on under the hood needs to be much more clear, especially if it involves player choices. And I wouldn't mind some light player decision making, even if it's just a basic rock/paper/scissors mechanic or battle "Events" like CK3 duels.

I don't think warfare needs to be HOI4 (as much as I enjoy that game) but right now it feels very rng. Needs more than "hit the war button and wait for war to end, maybe raid some convoys."

Honestly, as much as I am enjoying this game (and it's single handedly saved what was a disappointing second half of gaming), there's just way too much hidden behind the scenes. I STILL don't know how ranking is calculated. Maybe its opaque to prevent really cheesy rush strategies (I mean there's obviously already strats to get number one, but it is frustrating in a game seeing my rank drop and having no clue why. If this info is already in, it is really well hidden.

https://vic3.paradoxwikis.com/Rank

The nitty-gritty stuff for most Paradox games resides on their official wikis. When in doubt, look there.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Interesting that if you are a non-European power the best thing you can do to help your ranking (which isn’t just a score but has real game implications) is find some Europeans and punch them in the face.

Sort of checks out though.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-64-post-release-plans.1553970/

Inline with common PDX post release communication a significant dev diary was put out.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Still going in my Swedish "for real" run and boy are things smoother when you have a non-surface understanding of the rules. The one thing I fucked up on, was waiting to claim colonies; I don't think I could have gotten a gold producing one, but getting one with a decent number of people would have been nice; not really sure how emigration works for colonies (or if native Pops are even allowed to do that to a colony).

Also managed to quadruple GDP by 1955 (after tripling it by 1944, much of which was all on the back of the "Atmospheric Engine" quest and conquering Old-Not-New-Zealand from Denmark, who are now at +100 with me (taking Zealand essentially crippled them in terms of power, which I wasn't sure why, but then I actually clicked on the actual states under their control and that gigantic ass bit of land was actually barren and didn't have anyone on it and that I had basically stop half of their population). I still don't see how to get Denmark to agree to me forming Scandanavia. I had this happen to me once and didn't understand what was going on (my guess was that I had puppeted Denmark and gotten into a war and this jacked up their support for some reason, as right after the war they took that away). I'm guessing I just need to keep bankrolling Denmark as I used up one Obligation to jump from 70 to 100 as I thought that was the limit.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Anyone have any tips as Japan for getting rid of the Shogunate? so far I've been focusing on building up Universities and now switched to Railroads

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips as Japan for getting rid of the Shogunate? so far I've been focusing on building up Universities and now switched to Railroads

Push the Industrialist, Intelligentsia, and Trade Unions power up. Basically industrialize, as fast and thoroughly as you can.

There are also a couple laws Japan starts with that explicitly boost the political power of the Shogunate (Traditionalism is one, I forget the others) so you need to move away from those when things line up so it's doable without throwing stuff into revolution.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-64-post-release-plans.1553970/

Inline with common PDX post release communication a significant dev diary was put out.

Holy shit. Some of these WIP's are actually pretty impactful, particularly the legitimacy and reverse sway changes. The legit one especially as, other than law enactment time, having an illegitimate government for development purposes has been totally a thing for me. I can also see this really being painful where you're having to include a party that delegitimizes your government with their inclusion. Definitely will make the political juggling game a bit more interesting (beyond managing the boosters - which can I say is one of the more ingenious bits of gameplay added in this game) and I can totally see a DLC dedicated to blowing up the political game coming out.

The reverse sway bit is really nice as I feel like there are some trades the AI would be fine making for your support in war, and not being able to offer that effectively leaves you just waiting for the AI to offer you something.

All in all great changes, particularly if the war changes are the first big update.

• Options

getting rid of hereditary bureaucrats can be kinda tough but it's a huge deal for both fixing Japan's taxation issues and shifting power from the windmills to the lightbulbs.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    I'm getting close to wrapping up my first run in Victoria 3. Scandinavia is basically the shining light of the world at this point, with the #1 score, #1 GDP, #2 Standard of Living (some pissant country in Asia has me beat because I guess they make a lot of money exporting opium or something) and a pretty solid population of 40 million. Understanding how subsistence farming works was surprisingly important (don't kick people off subsistence farms unless you can support them as unemployed or have somewhere for them to work). I was a little annoyed that I had to take away women's right to vote or get stuck with an impossible civil war, and still nearly ended up with a civil war over secret police as a policy. Getting my states to not have turmoil is surprisingly tricky, considering my standard of living is so high. And of course when I do get unemployment and turmoil down, I immediately get immigrants causing more unemployment which causes more turmoil.

It'll feel good to wrap this up, then I just have to decide which nation is next. I was contemplating Austria and trying to get Super Germany formed.

-edit- Also I was kind of hoping I could annex Finland peacefully if I got them into my customs union, but no it looks like if I wanted them to actually be part of my country I would have to conquer them. I'm fine without them since I'm #1 in the world by a fair margin anyway.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I still don't see how to get Denmark to agree to me forming Scandanavia. I had this happen to me once and didn't understand what was going on (my guess was that I had puppeted Denmark and gotten into a war and this jacked up their support for some reason, as right after the war they took that away). I'm guessing I just need to keep bankrolling Denmark as I used up one Obligation to jump from 70 to 100 as I thought that was the limit.

To form Scandinavia you need to control most of the states, either directly or through vassals. Making Denmark happy won't do it, you need to either conquer them or puppet them. You need either all of Denmark, or Finland and a bit of Denmark, so I recommend puppetting Denmark.

I did it really slowly, I don't know if there's a quicker way. You need to do a bunch of little things to slightly reduce their power, because if you try a big thing you'll get a revolution. Get a bunch of peasants employed, because peasants give power to the landholder class. Swap your policing to a dedicated police force, change your economic system to Agrarianism, change distribution of power in gradual steps (I went to landed voting), and industrialise to bolster the other factions. It took me until about 1880, but I've got them down to 7% clout without a revolution.

• Options
    The new king of Prussia is a Vanguardist so I've began voting on becoming a Council Republic. And then Germany shall bring glorious socialist revolution to entire world.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

#1 GDP as Japan!

• Options
    When the signs are there:

hoo-boy.jpg

To form Scandinavia you need to control most of the states, either directly or through vassals. Making Denmark happy won't do it, you need to either conquer them or puppet them. You need either all of Denmark, or Finland and a bit of Denmark, so I recommend puppetting Denmark.

So it turns out what I needed was Pan-Nationalism. I had to go back to an earlier game to figure out what was going on in it, and I saw that I had this tech and then the lightbulb went off; immediately after getting Pan-Nationalism, most of the Scandanavian countries around me supported me for Unification and then I got Norway, Denmark and some other small split states without having to do anything.

Now the current goal is modernizing and investing in the military (I haven't bothered with this); politically, the Petite Boogers are strong and keeping me from pushing through some cultural changes. But, once we get Free Trade through, I can gut their support base and that should open the doors for the Eggheads and Capitalists to regain ground (they're in a political party together and since they both hate the Boogers, I'm not too worried about them forming an incompatible coalition to fuck up my long term plans; the Labor Party joining Venstre - guessing that's a Swedish word - is a foregone conclusion I think).

great-power.jpg

I'm actually really happy with this playthough; definitely not optimal (need to get the construction sector up as I think I misunderstood how it worked and thus didn't try to go too hard on get more construction space or improved construction output), but I made the decision to solve every problem organically without throwing money at it (other than through construction) and that's opened up so many new things I didn't know about (like the aforementioned party forming, figuring out the non-warfare way of forming Scandanavia, getting good at balancing inputs and outputs to keep buildings healthy, but mostly just not subsidizing everything). I think my next game I'm going to turn on IM and cheevo's; probably won't play Sweden, but maybe something spicy but not too spicy (making Canada seems like it could be a fun challenge).

• Options
    One thing that annoyed me a little was that I built myself a skyscraper in Stockholm, and even put an airship mooring point on the top, but I was never able to raise its level beyond 1. I figured that was just how skyscrapers worked, and then I saw that other countries had skyscrapers with much higher level, and now I'm annoyed because the bonus from the skyscraper is actually really good. I would have loved to have had a better bonus for a higher level skyscraper, I think the largest one I saw was level 15 in London, but I could be misremembering. Anyway, I looked at the wiki and there is literally no information about skyscrapers (or any other monument building) there. I admit I didn't try looking it up in game, I'll have to check later, but I would really love to know what is going on with the skyscraper in particular and monuments in general.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    One thing that annoyed me a little was that I built myself a skyscraper in Stockholm, and even put an airship mooring point on the top, but I was never able to raise its level beyond 1. I figured that was just how skyscrapers worked, and then I saw that other countries had skyscrapers with much higher level, and now I'm annoyed because the bonus from the skyscraper is actually really good. I would have loved to have had a better bonus for a higher level skyscraper, I think the largest one I saw was level 15 in London, but I could be misremembering. Anyway, I looked at the wiki and there is literally no information about skyscrapers (or any other monument building) there. I admit I didn't try looking it up in game, I'll have to check later, but I would really love to know what is going on with the skyscraper in particular and monuments in general.

Heh yeah it sounds like skyscrapers are kind of broken now -- at best currently in a very baffling design state. There's a big reddit thread on the issue and the only solution seems to be that you queue up multiple upon initial construction, and they "stack". After that first one is built, you can never upgrade it again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I bought this yesterday, and so far I'm just starting and restarting games as Brunei. It's a nice little learning location, you're close to some colonial powers but they're not very interested in you, you can beat up on a few of your neighbors before colonial reinforcements can interfere (usually), and there's a bunch of different ways to take your economy since you're pretty much starting at square one.

The game definitely kinda capture that macroeconomics sense of "ok so if you do this then these two things will definitely happen... and also 18 other secondary things might happen and uh well fuck it it'll probably work out, right? The totally opposite thing definitely probably won't happen!"

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I bought this yesterday, and so far I'm just starting and restarting games as Brunei. It's a nice little learning location, you're close to some colonial powers but they're not very interested in you, you can beat up on a few of your neighbors before colonial reinforcements can interfere (usually), and there's a bunch of different ways to take your economy since you're pretty much starting at square one.

The game definitely kinda capture that macroeconomics sense of "ok so if you do this then these two things will definitely happen... and also 18 other secondary things might happen and uh well fuck it it'll probably work out, right? The totally opposite thing definitely probably won't happen!"

this post makes me want to try out Brunei as well as watch Edge of the World about James Brooke (even though it's apparently crappy and got bad reviews)
    https://youtu.be/YTeqwRrNFpE

• Options
    So I tried to do an Austria run where I formed Germany, and things were going pretty well. I cut off Prussia from their western exclave and was able to win the war to become the lead (and only) candidate for forming Germany. Eventually Prussia fell out of great power status, so I launched a play to annex all the non-GP German states (that is everything except Alsace-Lorraine held by France) and holy crap did I get 126 infamy for trying that. However, I was able to win the war (nobody else joined in) and enforce my war goal, except somehow during this war (where they were getting absolutely stomped) they snuck back into being a great power! So I didn't get to annex Austria, and I didn't have enough states to form Germany but I still had all the infamy as if I had annexed Prussia. France then decided they wanted to cut me down to size, and without Prussia's troops I just couldn't hold the line. So that was an amusing attempt, but ultimately a failure. It was an interesting learning experience, though, and I may try again or I might just play as Prussia and try it in the opposite direction. Or maybe give Russia a try, though their start is probably really tough with all the serfdom and everything holding the country back.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    this post makes me want to try out Brunei as well as watch Edge of the World about James Brooke (even though it's apparently crappy and got bad reviews)
    https://youtu.be/YTeqwRrNFpE

Apparently it’s on Hulu. I don’t have an active subscription, but there are a bunch of movies I’m stacking up on Hulu to watch, I put it on the list so at some point, I’ll subscribe.

It’s got a 56% critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes, so over half the critics thought it was worth watching. 44% audience rating is pretty awful though. For my personal tastes a high audience rating but low critic score is probably more to my liking than vice-versa.

Some current Victoria-related movies and shows I’m watching (watching snippets between Victoria play sessions):
    • Lawrence of Arabia (legendary movie of WW1 fighting in the Middle East — listed #5 in American Film Institutes best movies ever).
    • Khartoum (1966 movie about the 1888 siege of Khartoum)
    • Ripper Street (BBC series about London police in Victorian England)

Some other movies I’ve seen before I’d recommend from the era:
    • Zulu Dawn (lead up to and battle of Isandlwana 1879)
    • Zulu (beleaguered English garrison fights the Zulu in 1879, right after the battle of Isandlwana)

ydejin on
  • Options
    Unfortunately late-game performance is bad enough that I might not bother actually finishing this run. Also having to fiddle around resetting production methods every time I conquer a place or put down a rebellion is kinda annoying. I just don't get why there is so much turmoil in my glorious worker's paradise.

Also I feel like my armies of tanks should not be having as much trouble with line infantry as they sometimes do.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I mean these are presumably shitty first gen tanks, the sort that could still be taken out by AT rifles or even a lucky machine gun.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    there's some interesting releasable nations to play as, personally I want to try Ukraine and New Africa:
    https://youtu.be/X33s-vi-7Ew

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    The AI actually formed New Africa in my Madagascar playthrough. I'd assumed it was because of a successful slave uprising or something.

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    I mean these are presumably shitty first gen tanks, the sort that could still be taken out by AT rifles or even a lucky machine gun.

Sure but Napoleonic era line infantry have neither of thise things.

Anyway, I started a new game as Haiti and had to immediately restart as I got my economy into a death spiral. But the second run is doing good. I've joined the British market which has fixed my lack of mineral resources. Slowly building toward having enough of a navy that I feel confident in stoping payments to France and telling them to fuck off.

• Options
    Honestly, joining the English market day one is almost like a cheat code.