As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Victoria 3] Party Like It's 1836

1234568»

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Heh yeah you've described my issue pretty well too.

Once you've been able to fend off an invasion by 3 major powers at once....well not many goals left. It would be nice to have the system not kick off as many interventions until late game/WW1 era.

One of the issues is that you get waaaaay too many interests way too easily from naval power. The UK has enough to declare an interest on every region twice over, and the rest of the top 5 too.

I'm messing around with a mod to reduce naval power contribution to interests by 65%. They still wind up with like 30 or 40 -- it's just super overtuned by default.

steam_sig.png
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    The military screens are so complicated right now, with so much info and options nested inside other things. I really hope they streamline it a bit.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    Interface revisions for the military UI are supposed to be in the upcoming patch, hooopefully coming this week but not 100% confirmed yet.

Sadly this is definitely one of the "wait for the patches for the patch" versions. It's maybe the buggiest/least complete version they've pushed live so far. Lots of cool new features! Buuut all need pretty heavy tweaking. The major stuff wasn't really ready for testing in their two month long open beta, and was put in at the last minute.

steam_sig.png
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Started a playthrough as Spain and it's pretty interesting. You've got the raw material base to actually build up a pretty competent industrial base and generally no one wants to bother you too much. Kinda fun just sitting back and really trying to get a handle on how to build economy while watching the rest of the world go nuts

Yeah I liked my Spain run quite a lot when I did it. You have the starting pop and tech to do pretty much whatever you want, while not being so super tied into the big politics stuff as a France or Great Britain. Room to grow too since you don't start with the biggest baddest army/navy/economy.

I....hit a legitimacy bug in my latest run trying to get the Grander Colombia achievement. I'm still doing 1.4.2, not sure if it would have worked out differently in the latest version. Basically just got to a point where I couldn't form a legitimate government no matter what I did. That was supposed to be impossible as of several versions ago, but I found a way! I had 70% approval with a nice industrialists/intelligentsia working coalition, abolished slavery and had everything between Mexico and Peru/Bolivia under my control, buuut new techs and leaders caused a party reshuffling which caused my approval to tank over the course of a couple of years and there was no possible combination to get above 25%. That means no way to pass laws as it gets disabled entirely at the lowest tier, no way to please any of the political movements whether they wanted to be more progressive or regressive, and basically a fail state.

So I gave in and bought Voice of the People, as Paradox actually gave it a pretty decent discount in the current sale. It's in a really weird place as a DLC, but has one paid feature that's actually fairly huge. Apparently they wanted to make the entire agitator system be apart of the DLC initially, but listened to community outcry about that being a pretty huge feature that should be in the base game and put it in the free patch instead. That's actually pretty cool! But then it left them charging $15 for a DLC that doesn't really do much unless you play France. So the one fairly tangible feature is that you need the DLC to invite agitators to lead one of your existing political parties instead of just being movement based around a single issue. That's huge in general, and particularly for nations that start with crappy laws.

steam_sig.png
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    It can still be tricky to get a useful agitator in some countries, as I'm pretty sure you can't invite them if they would be discriminated against. So like as Russia, that doesn't leave much in the way of options of inviting agitators since you start with Orthodox as the state religion, and I am legitimately not sure if any other nation does.

steam_sig.png
    chrisnl wrote: »
    It can still be tricky to get a useful agitator in some countries, as I'm pretty sure you can't invite them if they would be discriminated against. So like as Russia, that doesn't leave much in the way of options of inviting agitators since you start with Orthodox as the state religion, and I am legitimately not sure if any other nation does.

Serbia, Moldova, Wallachia and maybe Greece? Pretty thin pickings though.

Yeah some countries will get bigger pools than others. It works out pretty great for South American countries, since they typically have the European trait as accepted and have some weird politics to get rid of.

And it's typically not tooo tough to get off of at least the highest discrimination tier as some of the more regressive countries like Russia. Once you do that opens up quite a lot of options. Multiculturalism is the exotic one, and if you can get to Cultural Exclusion and snag an anarchist agitator as your party leader it helps a ton to get there. There are events that can trigger to get an anarchist leader without the agitator system, but it seems like the agitators pop up sooner.

steam_sig.png
    Looks like 1.5.10 is out tomorrow.

I hope it works!

steam_sig.png
    edited November 2023
    I just told my Colombian coworker about my attempts to form Grander Colombia.

She loved it. Gotta finish the run now!

Last night did go better. I'm around 1880 with a solid political situation and basically all of the terrible laws overturned. I shooould be able to gear up and take out Brazil today -- I made it through Peru/Bolivia and Chile last night and finally have a source of lead to let me pump out a bunch of troops. I had my first mass migration (from Ireland) right after finishing off Chile too, so hopefully my pop starts to snowball a bit.

Edit: Patch is out! Big chance list, lot of fixed bugs and interface/system tweaks. I'm going to try to stay strong and finish my 1.4.2 save and pray the fanbase doesn't find a ton more bugs.

It sounds like convoy raiding is super nasty now, so watch out in your wars!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2023
    Oh no, the convoy raiding bug from earlier versions is back. And now convoy raiding is turbocharged in the latest patch, which is bad!

The AI will keep raiding your convoys after your war with them is over. Aaand the update in 1.5.10 makes convoy raiding incredibly strong, resulting in tens of thousands of convoys being sunk very quickly and taking years to regenerate to full (or never, if the AI is raiding them at peace time). Even better, the peacetime convoy raiding will keep reducing your war score in future wars. You'll get penalties for lost convoys from the peacetime raiding even if the war you're in is against countries with 0 navy that aren't convoy raiding you.

Going to try 1.5.10 today, buuut will be turning off convoy raiding for sure (it was disabled entirely in 1.5.9 due to bugs and re-enabled in 1.5.10)

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
    That convoy raiding bug sounds nasty. I still don't understand their logic behind having an open beta period, and then putting a ton of changes into the patch that don't get tested in the beta. They have done it twice now, and both times it has resulted in the game being in a pretty bad situation that has to get fixed in a hurry.

I do like that they are willing to do the fixes, at least. Just maybe do it as part of the beta process instead of the live branch? Also it'll be really interesting to compare launch Victoria 3 to Victoria 3 after the patch that fixes the initial bugs with the Sphere of Influence DLC. It's going to be such a massive difference.

steam_sig.png
    Today I learned that Alsace is optional for forming Germany, unlike in Vicky 2 where it was a requirement. Very interesting.

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I think that makes sense worth paradox's less deterministic view of history they're working with these days. Even their games with shorter time spans are willing to let you get pretty off the rails, which I think works pretty well.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    edited December 2023
    This probably isn't a bug, but I've found the darkest timeline in Victoria 3 and it absolutely needs to be patched to never allow it to happen again:

image.png?ex=657e8501&is=656c1001&hm=dd585c8d9b8ce46c4f9976ac8b698c5baff0099e303feafe84560d299c39408d&

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
    The AI is a bit overtuned towards accepting offers of assistance in various colonial rebellions. The UK shouldn't be so eager transfer subjects away at the drop of a hat. I managed to snag Cape, all three Australias and East Africa through offering my help in various minor conflicts the English could have absolutely handled without me.

edited December 2023
    Yeah you've got stuff like small nations being willing to become puppets of bigger nations in exchange for their assistance fighting a war against another country with 0 troops too. Aaand yes the UK giving away all of its colonial holdings for assistance in minor wars.

1.5 is jacked. I hate saying that. I love this game, but it's just still pretty jacked after the latest hotfix and needs several more patches to get the new systems functional and the old systems too.

They pretty clearly had a deadline to release their DLC for the holidays, with the patch having to come out at the same time. It was absolutely not ready to go and they were ripping out entire systems and adding in brand new ones at the last second even after their two month beta.

As always, the community identified numerous major issues within like 8 hours of getting their hands on the final version. Some of it's hilariously obvious and I just struggle to understand how they missed it.

Let's take two things from the latest "hotfix", which is honestly silly to call it that since it took a couple of weeks to come out and had a ton of changes.

1) Convoy Raiding -- Okay so they had to disable this in 1.5.9 as it was causing a game stopping performance issue. This of course happened because they only introduced the final new naval system in the very last version of the open beta, and did some last minute tweaks after that version that the community never got to test. They fixed the performance issue, and re-enabled it in 1.5.10. They pretty clearly didn't test anything else aside from "did we fix the performance issue". Within the first day of release, you have players posting reports of having a navy 10x the size of everyone else's combined, defending every single sea node in the game, and still losing all of their convoys when they go to war with a minor power in the span of a month or two. It's not like "oh our numbers were 25% off", they were off by orders of magnitude. The strength of convoy raiding can be easily tweaked with numbers in a text file -- they did not test its efficacy at all.

2) Migration -- Okay so they planned a brand new migration system for 1.5. It was in the beta, it caused a lot of bugs and the devs announced it would be removed for the final version with the old system in tact. They left the "new" system in for the entire beta, and reverted it to the "old" system in the final version that no one was able to test before it went live. Whoops, the initial release now has basically no migration. This is immediately apparent to anyone with experience playing the game, because the Americas rely heavily on migration and are getting maybe like 1000 guys total instead of the hundreds of thousands they should. Okay cool we fixed this in 1.5.10. Whooooops, now we're back to entire ethnic groups leaving Europe, leaving states entirely depopulated because the numbers are way way way too high. These numbers are easily tweakable numbers in a text file, but no internal testing detected this issue and the official fix won't be out for probably weeks again.

You can pick a few more and do the same thing. I don't know who's fault it is, but a year out of release, this stuff is just malpractice. That's not even getting into "whoops, game that shipped with tremendous performance issues had a few versions in the middle that simmed at a pretty snappy speed but its now back to being as slow as its ever been."

I love the game, I'm still playing it, but part of that is because I'm weird and am willing to get in there and make my own mods to tweak some values and just outright disable some systems that aren't functional. I switched to 1.5.10 over the past two days, damn I really love those battlefield dioramas they added, but am going back to 1.4.2 with a bunch of custom tweaks as it still feels a bit better overall now.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2023
    So. Funny story, if you're playing Austria and you convince Bavaria and Hesse-Kassel to switch to your customs union the western half of Prussia loses access to the Prussian market and basically goes down in flames. Handy that.

Edit:
    r6ti500d1nww.jpg

Kane Red Robe on
    So. Funny story, if you're playing Austria and you convince Bavaria and Hesse-Kassel to switch to your customs union the western half of Prussia loses access to the Prussian market and basically goes down in flames. Handy that.

Edit:
    r6ti500d1nww.jpg

Yeah this is a fun thing I did in a very early game of Victoria 3, though I got pretty annoyed in that one when Prussia somehow clawed their way back into being a Great Power right as I hit the button to form Germany.

steam_sig.png
    edited December 2023
    Looks like we got a couple of hotfixes this week.

Most of the convoy madness should be fixed, which is good! I may stick with 1.4.2 for a bit longer as I'm still not totally certain about how everything is working together, but they fixed a few of the critical issues before going on Holiday break at least.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
    Very annoying that if you own Alaska you get spammed with events where the US wants to buy it and your relations tank -20 if you say no. Not a big deal if it didn't repeat every month or so. I went from Allies with the US to them hating me in less than a year.