lqvbthdw5jlx.png

Bijan won the Doak Walker award for 2022

DJ Eebs on

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    You spelled Blake Corum's name wrong in the thread title.

Weird you'd think that since he's not the best running back!

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    @enlightenedbum looks like I was beaten to it

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    The best running back is Nick Saban, who’s running back to Tuscaloosa after the Tide got beat GEAUX TIGAHS.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    I will gladly post whatever info about the ongoing pick'em in the OP under the Bijan facts

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Texas favored by a TD against TCU.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    1. Georgia
    2. Ohio State
    3. Michigan
    4. TCU
    5. Tennessee
    6. Oregon
    7. LSU
    8. USC
    9. Alabama
    10. Clemson

• Options
    This weekend's Texas v. TCU game feels pretty damn big

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    mfz09cws259a.png

This, but it's an elephant.

• Options

It directly hurts my team but you have to admit the content is amazing.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Eastern Michigan is bowl eligible on November 8th. For like the fifth time in seven years or something? They had one bowl period before Chris Creighton showed up and were routinely the worst team in 1-A. Just an incredible job.

• Options
    Nirya wrote: »

It directly hurts my team but you have to admit the content is amazing.

Well glass half-full. Nothing can hurt your team if they never had a chance in the first place,

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Week 11 CFP/AP Rankings

9zqtCNk.jpg

# of undefeated ranked teams: 4

# of Top 10 one-loss teams: 4

# of Top 10 two-loss teams: 2

Notable Team Ranking Divergence: UCLA (#9 AP +1; #12 CFP Unchanged); Kansas State (#23 AP -10; #19 CFP -6); Liberty (# 19 AP +4; Unranked CFP); Kentucky (Unranked AP; #24 CFP New)

# of Week 11 CFP ranked head-to-head matchups: 4

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I didn’t miss the results from last week did I?

• Options
    Wouldn't say you missed much if you did as good as me.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
  • Options
    Cade McNamara had surgery, officially out for the year. Gonna be a nice get for somebody in the transfer portal.

• Options
    SE++ PICK'EM WEEK 11: SOMEHOW WE HAVE GRUMORS

Straight Up
    #22 Central Florida @ #17 Tulane (-1.5) - Hello everyone! It's very late here, I've been chaperoning a field trip most of the day (got to see some dinosaur fossils which is always fun) and have only been home for an hour or so, so I apologize for the delay. I considered dusting off one of my favorite bits I do each year, which is where I tell you all about inane bullshit that has nothing to do with the games that are scheduled, but honestly, I decided not to do any of that.

Appalachian State (-1) @ Marshall - THE OLD MOUNTAIN FEUD! But going back to what I was saying: what's the point of doing that kind of bit? The thing I'm actually starting to realize this year is that I actually enjoy writing out these previews of each of the games? Which is, in itself, a weird thing to admit because I've been using these previews as an escape from the dregs that has been UCLA football and to give my creativity an outlet because there's only so many times you can write "this fucking Chip Kelly guy hates the entire concept of defense" before you go insane.

#15 North Carolina @ Wake Forest (-3.5) - And again, UCLA is actually good this year! I'm sure a bunch of you already know this, but I do a side gig where I write about UCLA athletics. It used to be under the SBNation umbrella until Vox decided they hated making money, and now the remaining writers and myself have a Substack. PS: do you know how weird it is to have a CEO of a tech company in your phone book and have him make a custom site for you because you were one of the first people to join up with his service? Between that and getting messages from the UCLA AD about things I've written, I've realized it's been a weird few years.

SICKOS GAME OF THE WEEK
    Wisconsin (-1.5) @ Iowa - THE HEARTLAND TROPHY! So yeah, UCLA being good has been good for me because it means increased traffic (people like reading about good things) and an increase in paid subscriptions. I should note: everything we write is free, and we only added paid subscriptions because people asked how they could support us. The fact that we have so many is maybe the most gratifying thing in the world. I've been busier than ever before with the site, especially at the moment because basketball just started and hey guess what UCLA is also really good at that sport as well.

Against the Spread
    #20 Notre Dame (-15.5) vs. Navy - And yet this year has caused me to realize not just that I enjoy writing out these previews, but that they have helped me become a better writer and analyst. Sure all the jokes are fun, but I've gotten way better at keeping track of as many programs as possible, and have a way better understanding of how to read football analytics and box scores to try and provide something close to a coherent analysis. And because I'm now paying attention to more football, I'm able to have a better grasp on what does and does not work so I can apply it to my own team in my writing.

#9 Alabama (-11.5) @ #11 Mississippi - The driving force here has been you all. I've been running this thing with ASimPerson since 2015 (it was easy to check because ASP does this amazing thing where he starts a brand new PM chain each year we've done this) and while the people might have changed over the years, the fact that we still have a ton of people who willingly sign up to participate in this thing will never cease to amaze me. And I'm being honest when I say that every time people mention that they base a pick they made off of my writing it makes me want to try even harder to give you guys the best writing possible.

#25 Washington @ #6 Oregon (-13.5) - And again, you guys have inspired me in more ways than you can know. Sure, a lot of my writing style is cribbed from my former SBN colleagues like Spencer Hall and Steven Godfrey, but it's also evolved over the years to be more thoughtful of everyone because of the people here. I won't lie to you and say I was a smart caring person back when I first joined the boards, and rereading some of the old writeups is physically painful (pro tip: never read your old stuff). It's through the influence of the people here that I became way more open and accepting of others, and to that I thank you.

Wyoming (-8.5) @ Colorado State - BORDER WAR! I think I've lost the plot to what I was saying, so let me try and get it back. Hold on.

Florida Atlantic (-15.5) @ Florida International - SHULA BOWL! Oh yeah, now I remember. What I'm trying to say here, in the long-rambling way that I can be prone to, is that I do truly love writing these previews, and it doesn't matter how tired it makes me to sit here and write about some completely-real rivalry that most people did not know existed (seriously, ASP is a menace for learning about Border War up there), at the end of the day this makes me happy, and that's worth it.

GAME OF THE CENTURY OF THE WEEK (Straight Up)
    #4 Texas Christian @ #18 Texas (-6.5) - Wait shit I forgot to write any of the previews OK SO TE-

Go here to enter your choices: https://forms.gle/QprLJ28hZsXiSNVZ6

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    We love you too, @Nirya.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Hey Nirya, as always, thanks again for doing the previews. I have been writing about college football for... a long time, but usually very poorly and while intoxicated. Even though I already know what the games are I make a point to read the previews you provide here while secretly wishing the previews I write would be anywhere near as insightful.

• Options
    JimBobtheMonkeyJimBobtheMonkey Registered User regular
    My hope has mostly faded out after last week, but K-State still has a decent shot at the big12 if they win out and receive a bit of help. It would help this weekend if TCU's history of overcoming second half deficits lines up with Texas' history of blowing second half leads. I won't be terribly upset with the outcome either way though.

• Options
    This has been the worst year of college football in my adult life.

With that being said @Nirya has made this so fucking fun. I absolutely love when I get a saturday off and I can fuck around the house watching games I would normally not give two shits about outside of my SEC bubble. You are the best, thank you.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I was very tempted to just go chalk this week but I don't trust Notre Dame to cover against Navy, and let's face it TCU beating the Horns in Austin would be very very funny

Straight Up
    Central Florida @ Tulane
    Wisconsin @ Iowa
    Appalachian State @ Marshall
    North Carolina @ Wake Forest

Against the Spread
    Notre Dame (-15.5) vs. Navy
    Alabama (-11.5) @ Mississippi
    Washington @ Oregon (-13.5)
    Wyoming (-8.5) @ Colorado State
    Florida Atlantic (-15.5) @ Florida International

Game of the Week (Straight Up)
    Texas Christian @ Texas

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Lol that thing turned out way more sentimental than I thought it would when I started writing. That’s why writing when tired and tipsy is a dangerous game, folks.

That said, I know I say it a lot, but @ASimPerson does so much of the heavy lifting and never gets near enough credit. This is especially true this year, when I discovered I really don’t have the patience to look at an entire weekly schedule and find games, he’s taken the lead on assembling the game and I get to come in like a mischievous elf and tinker on the margins. Then he puts the forms together and gets you the results really quickly. Basically, if you were to compare us to the Disney brothers, I’d be the Walt Disney with all the big dumb ideas, and he’d be the Roy Disney who always gets everything done but never gets the credit for doing so.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I was curious why UCLA can't get people to attend games, and one of the possible reasons seems to be that the Rose Bowl is a dump that puts fans too far from the field and has little to no shade.

But also one article I found had this little tidbit:
    Those yearning for the construction of an on-campus stadium or a move to SoFi Stadium should probably abandon those hopes — UCLA’s Rose Bowl lease runs through June 30, 2044, and does not include an opt-out clause.

whoever signed that contract ought to be run out of town on a rail

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Traveling this weekend and just entered my picks in the Google form straight from the hip.

Anybody wants this crown now’s the time to get it; it’s pretty much dangling off my spiky hair.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    LA has always been weird about attending football games (pro and college).

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Traveling this weekend and just entered my picks in the Google form straight from the hip.

Anybody wants this crown now’s the time to get it; it’s pretty much dangling off my spiky hair.

Saving this for when you get 9/10 picks correct

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    I was curious why UCLA can't get people to attend games, and one of the possible reasons seems to be that the Rose Bowl is a dump that puts fans too far from the field and has little to no shade.

But also one article I found had this little tidbit:
    Those yearning for the construction of an on-campus stadium or a move to SoFi Stadium should probably abandon those hopes — UCLA’s Rose Bowl lease runs through June 30, 2044, and does not include an opt-out clause.

whoever signed that contract ought to be run out of town on a rail

I'll answer the question since, you know, UCLA is the team I cover.

UCLA will always have an "attendance problem" as long as it plays at the Rose Bowl because it is so far from campus. The Rose Bowl is 26 miles from campus, which in a normal place might be a 30 minute drive, but in Los Angeles is an hour-long trek if you're leaving at normal times. Even compared to the general outline of Los Angeles, the Rose Bowl is a bit out of the way, up in the northeast and away from most of the populous areas in the city. It makes for a fabulous football setting (all the people who wax poetically about the Arroyo Seco during sunset still don't do it justice) but not a great spot if you're trying to get the typical LA fan somewhere.

You might have noticed I put attendance problem in quotes. That's because UCLA does not have an attendance problem, but rather they're having the same problem every other LA team has: if you win, they will come, but if you don't win, people will go do one of the 500 other things you can do here. The only recession-proof teams are the Lakers and the Dodgers, and they have decades of winning and possessing star power that allows for them to weather bad years (though the Lakers sure are going to test that theory!). If UCLA is losing on a consistent basis, people don't show up, but if the Bruins are winning consistently, then the Bruins can fill up the Rose Bowl and lead the conference in attendance. The two years featured in that tweet had UCLA at 4-8 and 8-4, and even that 8-4 team needed a three-game streak at the end against bad teams to get there. UCLA (and USC) are not like a typical college where you will see fans show up for good or bad teams; you need to win to get people to come.

To address some of the other things:

- The Rose Bowl is fine. It's not a state-of-the-art stadium like SoFi, but the facilities are perfectly fine and they've done a good job of upgrading things for fans. They've even figured things out and started alcohol sales two years ago, which was a welcome change even if it suffers from the typical LA sports problem of being hilariously overpriced ($18 for a tall can is both highway robbery and what everyone else out here charges, it's insane). Sight lines are all great, I've never understood the need to be right on top of the game but that's just me.
    - That said, there is no real shade in the stadium. It's a bowl with one giant press box, so if you sit on the east side during a early-afternoon game, you're in for hell. I sat on that side in 2001 when UCLA knocked off #5 Michigan in over 100 degree heat, and it was absolutely brutal the entire time. You could do a noon game here in October and November, but doing any game before 5:30 in September is just asking for no one to show up because it's way to hot.
    - The tailgating scene is also not exactly great. Pasadena, especially the neighborhood surrounding the Rose Bowl, is NIMBY as all hell, and so you are only allowed in the various lots starting six hours before gametime. It sucks.
    - Finally, on the contract thing, that was signed back in 2010 by previous AD Dan Guerrero, well before there were even rumors of the Rams moving back to LA and building a new stadium. The lease got the Rose Bowl to do major renovations that were desperately needed (including extending out the press box to allow for more suites and new locker rooms) but yeah, it basically locked UCLA in for the near future. People will continue to want an on-campus stadium, but a lot of things would need to change before that becomes feasible. SoFi would similarly cause problems, not the least of which is the obscene cost of parking there and no tailgating allowed.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    JimBobtheMonkeyJimBobtheMonkey Registered User regular
    I was about to complain about OU-WVU being the boring kind of sloppy rain game and not the fun kind. Then in the final two minutes of the first half they had several big plays, two touchdowns, and a fumbled PAT ran back for two. Still waiting for a more watchable game today though.

• Options
    SEC refs very blatantly give LSU a favorable spot late in this game to give them a first down and let them run out the clock. Absurd call live and on review.

• Options
    crzyangocrzyango Registered User regular
    SEC refs very blatantly give LSU a favorable spot late in this game to give them a first down and let them run out the clock. Absurd call live and on review.

That was amazingly and obviously bad.

• Options
    I was watching the LSU game for all of 5 minutes and Arkansas fumbles.

I should quit football.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Purdue v Illinois has been fucking TESTY for a B10 Rivalry game.

• Options
    Harold Perkins making a late Heisman run as a freshman DE.

• Options
    LOL, UConn beats Liberty, they're going bowling somehow.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Looks like a decent snowfall coming down in Ann Arbor today. Good to see how the team deals with that, but considering it's a run first team it shouldn't matter much.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Oh God, Purdue wins in Champaign, so the Iowa/Wisconsin winner somehow controls their own destiny in the West.

EDIT: And Chase Brown got hurt on a meaningless snap at the end, can't put weight on his leg.

enlightenedbum on
This discussion has been closed.