As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2022 Midterm Results Thread: Cortez Masto Declared Winner, Democrats Hold Senate

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    The point isnt to name a situation in which you'd vote for a republican but to put the thought process in a context like the one a lot of Republican voters face. Sure some of them just like Walker but for others they know he's ill but that just doesnt weigh compared to the Evils of Democrats. That these Evils are almost entirely bullshit is besides the point.

Like when Sanders had his heart attack during the primary. It wasnt good, it didnt bode well for his long term health. But it would be silly to expect his supporters to abandon him over it in favor of a man they felt was morally reprehensible.

Fetterman’s stroke did him a lot of damage in the polls. He still won but I think he’d have won by more in better health.

There is pretty solid evidence his debate performance helped him quite a bit so Im curious what the final electoral damage was like. I'll have to follow up on that l.

As far as I'm aware his polling cratered following the debate, just not enough to lose

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    stupid sexy double post

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Georgia will pull left as long as the left can provide measurable successes. Demographics are not destiny.

While that's true enough, bear in mind that the Atlanta suburbs are slowly turning into the Hollywood of the eastern seaboard. A lot of younger people that got into movies or TV in LA come out here for work, realize that they can actually buy a fuckin' house here while still doing their job, and move.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Georgia will pull left as long as the left can provide measurable successes. Demographics are not destiny.

While that's true enough, bear in mind that the Atlanta suburbs are slowly turning into the Hollywood of the eastern seaboard. A lot of younger people that got into movies or TV in LA come out here for work, realize that they can actually buy a fuckin' house here while still doing their job, and move.

Nothing slow to it, the Atlanta of my youth and the Atlanta of my now are two completely different cities. If we can unfuck MARTA and force the NIMBY's in the burbs to expand and it'll be a city to rival any other metropolitan area.

• Options
    Also SIX MORE YEARS! SIX MORE YEARS!

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Our politics have always largely been cities vs rurals. PA works out the same where Philly hauls it over the line at the end. At the end of the day in a city you can't afford to be a non stop racist or religious shit lord because you're constantly around other people and that just does not work. You also have a far higher appreciation for government and what it does because it's around you 24/7.

It’s not a given, see Florida and Ohio (Ohio is the 7th densest state)

• Options
    raging_stormraging_storm Registered User regular

That only lasts for so long. Then the prices go up and blam back to square one as you got gentrified.
    Jokerman wrote: »

Nothing slow to it, the Atlanta of my youth and the Atlanta of my now are two completely different cities. If we can unfuck MARTA and force the NIMBY's in the burbs to expand and it'll be a city to rival any other metropolitan area.

I've gone through the same thing in DC things have fucking changed in a lot of places and the GOP does not like it. I'm out of NOVA DOD land currently and things are NOT the same. We also went blue. But it's funny watching the GOP call the land of the Pentagon, CIA, DARPA, NRO, and more commie pinko land. Like WTF! We can't win where all the troops, contractors, and spies are because they are all America hating commies. Ok, please proceed governor, no do please go on.

• Options
    Also Kemp, Raff, and the Georgia congress might fuck with voting even harder given this

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Also Kemp, Raff, and the Georgia congress might fuck with voting even harder given this

Yeah the problem being that aggressive gerrymandering needs way more then a simple majority to crack.

Just ask Wisconsin.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »
    Looking like it's going to be between 2-4% for Warnock's margin of victory.

It's way to damn close given the quality of the candidates. Like Walker should have done so badly that a runoff wouldn't be needed. There are two silver linings though.

GA might be where VA was in 2008. It means the GOP will have to actually invest money, if they want to win the state rather than it being guaranteed electoral votes for the GOP. Not sure if it's going to go the rate that VA did because VA is a hard state for the GOP to win in for the presidency now at this point.

Also while polarization might have helped Walker do far, far better than he had any right to do. It also likely works against the GOP because many of the voters that turned out for Warnock are unlikely to switch to the GOP in future elections.

Using Virginia as a comparison. Georgia might be at a point where it is not going to get harder and harder for the GOP to carry the state in Federal Senate election and for the election of the POTUS. On the other hand, participation falls off in lower office races, so the GOP will still be relevant in state politics because it'll still be possible for them to win offices like Governor and get majorities in the statehouse. I guess if thinks continue to track as they currently are, the GOP might become the consistent minority party after more than a decade passes. Though who knows, maybe things will speed up on the demographics side of things or we'll finally get a new VRA that cuts into a bunch of the shit that has allowed the GOP to minimize the downside of their unpopularity into something that lets them get an outsized role in government.

Wasserman is a NYT guy.
    Reminder: a big reason Dems have been able to crack Georgia is it's now a really urban state. Metro ATL alone made up 59% of GA's vote on 11/8.

By contrast, Dems continue to struggle in NC, where the Charlotte/Research Triangle metros combined for just 42% of the state's vote.

This is the big factor. Atlanta is the gravity well of the South that will pull Georgia further left with time.

An appreciable amount of DNC finances should be spent ensuring all Georgia R's have a lifetime supply of Pepsi.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »

It's way to damn close given the quality of the candidates. Like Walker should have done so badly that a runoff wouldn't be needed. There are two silver linings though.

GA might be where VA was in 2008. It means the GOP will have to actually invest money, if they want to win the state rather than it being guaranteed electoral votes for the GOP. Not sure if it's going to go the rate that VA did because VA is a hard state for the GOP to win in for the presidency now at this point.

Also while polarization might have helped Walker do far, far better than he had any right to do. It also likely works against the GOP because many of the voters that turned out for Warnock are unlikely to switch to the GOP in future elections.

Using Virginia as a comparison. Georgia might be at a point where it is not going to get harder and harder for the GOP to carry the state in Federal Senate election and for the election of the POTUS. On the other hand, participation falls off in lower office races, so the GOP will still be relevant in state politics because it'll still be possible for them to win offices like Governor and get majorities in the statehouse. I guess if thinks continue to track as they currently are, the GOP might become the consistent minority party after more than a decade passes. Though who knows, maybe things will speed up on the demographics side of things or we'll finally get a new VRA that cuts into a bunch of the shit that has allowed the GOP to minimize the downside of their unpopularity into something that lets them get an outsized role in government.

Wasserman is a NYT guy.
    Reminder: a big reason Dems have been able to crack Georgia is it's now a really urban state. Metro ATL alone made up 59% of GA's vote on 11/8.

By contrast, Dems continue to struggle in NC, where the Charlotte/Research Triangle metros combined for just 42% of the state's vote.

This is the big factor. Atlanta is the gravity well of the South that will pull Georgia further left with time.

7+ million population combined in the Atlanta, Savannah, Augusta, and Athens metro areas. Could easily see it being the next Virginia. If Democrats can solidify the gains made in Georgia and Arizona it's going to make electoral math a lot easier in the future.

Tongue in cheek; I was complaining to Mrs. Red Robe last night about how the AP map of the election results left out the second largest city in Georgia (4th largest metro area) and then I see you do the same thing here. I live just across the river from Columbus (and work there) and it's always funny to me how the place seems to have some sort of stealth field that prevents anyone from remembering it exists. There weren't even any campaign stops in the city as far as I can recall.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I want to relax, but I can't stop thinking about where we'd be if Cuomo didn't intentionally rig New York's districts in favor of Republicans because he's a moron with delusional presidential aspirations.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

I didn't grow up here, so I can't speak to that, but *in general* Atlanta doesn't seem to have the same sort of "I'm only bartending until I can sell my script and get my big break" population that LA is at least depicted as having.

(FWIW MARTA is pretty good, certainly better than the DC Metro was when I lived there. Could use some more stations in the burbs but Marietta/Alpharetta views that down recently, so.)

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Wasserman is a NYT guy.

7+ million population combined in the Atlanta, Savannah, Augusta, and Athens metro areas. Could easily see it being the next Virginia. If Democrats can solidify the gains made in Georgia and Arizona it's going to make electoral math a lot easier in the future.

Tongue in cheek; I was complaining to Mrs. Red Robe last night about how the AP map of the election results left out the second largest city in Georgia (4th largest metro area) and then I see you do the same thing here. I live just across the river from Columbus (and work there) and it's always funny to me how the place seems to have some sort of stealth field that prevents anyone from remembering it exists. There weren't even any campaign stops in the city as far as I can recall.

Maybe because of Ft Benning? Possibly a lot of people who "live" in Columbus but cant vote in Georgia.

Jokerman on
  • Options

That only lasts for so long. Then the prices go up and blam back to square one as you got gentrified.

I mean prices are definitely rising but there's a *lot* of room to go before we get to SoCal housing costs.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options

I mean prices are definitely rising but there's a *lot* of room to go before we get to SoCal housing costs.

Yeah I've already been displaced from one neighborhood and it's bound to happen again. I wish I had the money to have bought a house when i first moved here, I just wasn't in a financial place to do so.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

In case anyone wants to stare into the abyss: https://www.redfin.com/CA/Norwalk/15103-Gard-Ave-90650/home/7790010

So now that there is a 51/49 split in the senate we're going to kill the fillibuster right?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

In case anyone wants to stare into the abyss: https://www.redfin.com/CA/Norwalk/15103-Gard-Ave-90650/home/7790010

So now that there is a 51/49 split in the senate we're going to kill the fillibuster right?

Only if it'll let us go ham during the lame duck, otherwise there's not much point.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

Wasserman is a NYT guy.

Maybe because of Ft Benning? Possibly a lot of people who "live" in Columbus but cant vote in Georgia.

Possibly, I just checked and Muscogee county (which Columbus is most of) is down at 14th for number of votes returned in the runoff so it's definitely punching in below it's actual population weight. What exactly the cause of that is I don't know.

• Options
    NineNine Registered User regular

I didn't grow up here, so I can't speak to that, but *in general* Atlanta doesn't seem to have the same sort of "I'm only bartending until I can sell my script and get my big break" population that LA is at least depicted as having.

(FWIW MARTA is pretty good, certainly better than the DC Metro was when I lived there. Could use some more stations in the burbs but Marietta/Alpharetta views that down recently, so.)

It's a real missed opportunity to not add a commuter rail line to the existing freight line that runs through Cobb. Being able to hop on a train to Atlanta from downtown Marietta, Kennesaw, or Acworth would have been really convenient when I lived there.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Not without a trifecta.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Only if it'll let us go ham during the lame duck, otherwise there's not much point.

Because...?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Because...?

Because the GOP controls the house seems like the obvious answer.

It would be a good move symbolically though.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

Manchin and Sinema both oppose killing it, so we'd need a 52/48 margin to do so. That said, I suspect the margin we need is even higher, and the goalposts will keep moving for who actually wants to kill it.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

I know it was expensive, but I found the DC metro to be spectacular. My experience with MARTA was good as well, but Atlanta residents tell me that it's not sufficient for commuting save for a few industries. Its convenient for going to tourist attractions and to the airport, but it doesn't serve the working class communities that depend on public transportation because there aren't enough stops in lower-income neighborhoods.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Even with the House, would have needed Barnes in Wisconsin

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Manchin and Sinema both oppose killing it, so we'd need a 52/48 margin to do so. That said, I suspect the margin we need is even higher, and the goalposts will keep moving for who actually wants to kill it.

Yeah. By choice or by convenience, I'm guessing that there are issues and sides where less than 48 Democratic Senators supported something, but the wailing and gnashing of quirky teeth from Manchin and Sinema probably masks them from being noticed or pressured.

One could probably make some educated guesses based on their statements playing to constituencies and whatnot, but I've come to the assumption they're basically 'tanking' the ire that others would be getting onto themselves.

One could cynically conclude this might even be intentional, though that's probably just playing into 'the world must have a plan, it can't just be a bunch of assholes and idiots being assholish idiots, right?' fallacy, which I'm by no means advancing.

"Any suitably advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice", etc.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    It worth bearing in mind that in regards to Florida and Ohio.

Florida isn't urbanized enough to significantly weaken the GOP. Sure the state is growing, but so is Texas and both aren't quite to a point where they have a NoVA or Atlanta. Florida also has the other issue that it's where all the conservative shit birds migrate to when they retire. Being retirees, they are not only more set in their ways, but don't have much incentive to improve themselves either. Where a young conservative in their early 20s might mature into a decent person or at the very least, stop buying into certain shitty things because they don't like be a pariah at the office, their apartment complex/neighborhood or struggling to get anything out of the few third places available to them in a NA city. Also wouldn't be surprised if climate change and the shit bird migrating in, is prompting young people to leave Florida. Climate change probably means additional expenses and risks to stay in Florida, not to mention that probably the part of Florida that is most vulnerable to climate change, is also the area where the more liberal populations live. The migrating shit birds, just ensures progress is painfully slow and that just makes other states more appealing; especially, if some has circumstances where they can't really afford to wait for the state to get better (speaking for myself in VA, I actually do want to get out of this state once I work through some health issues and can get back into the workforce because this state is pretty fucking terrible if you lose employment due to health reasons and also the healthcare is also pretty crap. All of that stems from shitty republican policies is it's likely going to be another decade before shit starts to improve and that's another decade I can't afford really).

Ohio's issues are more that it people in urban areas are leaving as a result to the decline of manufacturing. Yes, manufacturing is starting to return to the US, but in a way that isn't bringing back all the lost jobs. I will say, if there is a wealthy person that wants to stick it to the GOP. Ohio is probably a good candidate to setup shit in that will create jobs; especially, if you can concentrate that shit.

Anyways, we do need a new VRA to prevent the GOP from using really fucking bullshit and anti-democratic gerrymanders, like they did in Wisconsin. Hell, I'd argue VA has quite gotten clear all of the GOP's bullshit gerrymander shit. Part of that is we adopted a really shitty anti-gerrymander bill that really did fuck all to solve the problem and the GOP found all the ways to bypass it. Sure it didn't get them what they'd like, but I'd argue when the guy the democrats pick does his job, while the guy the GOP picks isn't just a fuck hack (realclear politics asshole), but also was communicating with a GOP aligned group for data on how to gerrymander. Our district lines are more pro-GOP than they have any business being. So yes, it's really hard to crack gerrymanders and given how shitty SCOTUS is currently, we need Congress to step in to unfuck a bunch of shit. Not to mention we need Congress to repeal the bullshit law that sets House seats at 435 because that is wholly inadequate for this nation's population and that was done to advantage the GOP, which was already hedging their bets on being the rural elite party. Finally, getting DC and PR state status would also help things.

I will say for state specific stuff, having the US Congress pass some federal standards to kick asshole NIMBY shit in, is also going to be needed. Won't touch on all the reasons because many are unrelated to the thread, but it would let urban areas grow in a way that could better accommodate the population and in way that is going to advantage the democrats more.

• Options
    raging_stormraging_storm Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

I know it was expensive, but I found the DC metro to be spectacular. My experience with MARTA was good as well, but Atlanta residents tell me that it's not sufficient for commuting save for a few industries. Its convenient for going to tourist attractions and to the airport, but it doesn't serve the working class communities that depend on public transportation because there aren't enough stops in lower-income neighborhoods.

DC METRO is great. That said it's had issues.

• Options

It seems to be a lot of tech people. Key-grips and the like. It's completely anecdotal but I see a lot of them with atlanta address when they're working in Savannah.

And yeah, MARTA is so almost there it's just not workable for a lot of working class people.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    They wanted Walker specifically because he's a minority and a football hero and they figured he'd be an easy win.

This shit is so cynical it makes me nauseous. Somebody being good at running and smashing their brains into other people’s brains means nothing to me. But there are an astonishing number of people for whom it does, and fame apparently translates to qualification for these people.

Like, you wouldn’t want the guy who is good at running with an egg-shaped ball in their arm to be operating on you. Even if they didn’t have brain damage! But let’s put them in one of the most important positions in our government, yep, that’s the ticket. Man is good at smashing skulls, slap him in a suit and let him run the country.

I mean, there's a reason that large geographic regions of the country and many tens of millions of people view "country sense" as forever superior to anything from "the city". Anti-intellectualism has been baked into US culture since before the US even existed.

I live in SE Missouri. Our football team is idolized and their games are attended to overflowing crowds. Anything they want, they get, no cost too extravagant.

It was discovered recently that student's meal accounts are collectively $32,000 overdrawn. Many to the point where they are no longer allowing the children to get lunch, although they do still throw a pb&j at them if they can't pony up so I guess it technically could be worse. That amount is a laughably miniscule fraction of the football budget.

People here REALLY don't like having that disparity pointed out to them.

• Options
    Those kids should fuckin be good at football then

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Charlie Kirk has spent the first hour of his show reading emails from his listeners who said they didn't vote in Georgia because they believe there's too much fraud, a message they heard on the Charlie Kirk show

Tweeter works for media matters.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    The Out-Finding

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    That happened with Kari Lake's dumbfuckery too. She solicited people to send her messages about being suppressed, and a shitload of them were people going "They said there was an issue with the machines, so instead of filling out a replacement ballot, I just left. I WAS SUPPRESSED!"

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Sowing is more fun than Reaping.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    That happened with Kari Lake's dumbfuckery too. She solicited people to send her messages about being suppressed, and a shitload of them were people going "They said there was an issue with the machines, so instead of filling out a replacement ballot, I just left. I WAS SUPPRESSED!"

Do you think these kinds of republicans get worried when they realise all their fans/would be voters were so dumb they actually believed all the obvious bullshit the candidates were saying?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    To me it seems they want to make people afraid that the system is broken, as it gives them an excuse to "fix" it with shit like voter suppression and gerrymandering. They just kind of failed to build a case for "voting is fucked, but your vote still matters," so that's a self-inflicted wound.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular

Our politics have always largely been cities vs rurals. PA works out the same where Philly hauls it over the line at the end. At the end of the day in a city you can't afford to be a non stop racist or religious shit lord because you're constantly around other people and that just does not work. You also have a far higher appreciation for government and what it does because it's around you 24/7.

And yet I see so many

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i mean 3 blocks from my house there’s a guy with a huge trump sign and thin blue line flag and my ward voted 90-9 for fetterman

there’s always a couple, and they’re the loudest people of all

aeNqQM9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.