Options

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Disney not making a profit seems so unlikely it has to be a scheme. Like is it better to not have a profit for tax purposes or some shit?
    Oh heavens no, Bob would commit ritual suicide if they ever actually lost money.
    Disney reported fiscal fourth-quarter net income of $162 million, or 9 cents a share, on sales of $20.15 billion, up from $18.53 billion a year ago but more than $1 billion short of expectations. After adjusting for amortization and certain investment changes, Disney reported earnings of 30 cents a share, down from 37 cents a share a year ago.
    Now I yearn for communism as much as they next poster, but I have to admit getting less than $200 million on moving $20 billion doesn't sound great.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    They own everything! How can that not make money?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    They've gotten extremely gross about nickel and diming about people at the parks, lately. A lot of theme park people are fairly convinced they're going to run into some problems there in the next few years, especially since they don't have a lot of new attractions on the horizon and their main competition has a lot of new stuff coming

It's not, like, "crater the company" ominous, by any means, but it's definitely at a "lose a decent amount customers level

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    They've gotten extremely gross about nickel and diming about people at the parks, lately. A lot of theme park people are fairly convinced they're going to run into some problems there in the next few years, especially since they don't have a lot of new attractions on the horizon and their main competition has a lot of new stuff coming

It's not, like, "crater the company" ominous, by any means, but it's definitely at a "lose a decent amount customers level

I remember Jenny Nicholson saying something about this, I think in one of her Patreon videos. She has a lot of knowledge and opinions about parks, and is the only reason I know anything about Disney's parks.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Could you expand on this? This stuff is always fascinating to hear about

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Another perspective on the above:

A webcomic I follow has been on hiatus because the artist got hired by Disney (to do storyboards 'n stuff for a Spider-Man show, and apparently Legal is very strict about "outside projects", even if IMO it's a bit of a stretch to lump "fantasy" together with "superheroes" - but I digress). They finally posted an update yesterday and, uh... in their own word, WELP.
    Meg Sylv wrote:
    Good news, I guess! After over a year of absolutely incredible feedback, minimal notes from higher executives, and constantly being told that we were doing the best job out of anyone at the studio, a quarterly report came out where line did not go up and we all got fired. Womp womp!

:#

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

Could you expand on this? This stuff is always fascinating to hear about

I'm going to try to come up with a brief summary, but there's a lot of ticky-tack stuff and a couple of bigger things, on top of their numerous price increases.

The short story is that Disney is increasingly charging money for things that they used to provide for free, and have also implemented policies that seem like they're there primarily to cut costs, as they also raise prices. Parking at your hotel at Disney World used to be free; now they're charging for it. They used to offer a shuttle from the airport to their hotels for free (they'd even move your luggage to your room); they discontinued it.

I believe they started this before the pandemic, but they've also cut a lot of the character performers that would wander the park, like street performers and puppeteers. A few shows have just been dropped. They've also implemented a system where you have to reserve which day you visit the park ahead of time, when before it was more of a window. This was initially implemented when the parks opened after COVID to control how many people are in the park, but it seems to be continuing mainly so they can understaff the parks at just the right amount.

The fastpass system got changed when the parks reopened, replaced with something called Genie+, which is a paid add-on to your park ticket. It lets you choose a faster line on a couple of rides. Notably this does not include new or very popular rides, most notably including Rise of the Resistance. To get a fast pass for those, you have to pay an additional charge. All of these charges have flex pricing, as well.

On top of all of this, they've been very slow to open new attractions, and many of the attractions they have opened have been very cheap looking. Animal Kingdom replaced a boat parade with a kite show where the kites often crashed into the stands. They opened a Marvel section at Disneyland, that's primarily built on character performers and one new ride, a heavily screen based Spider-Man ride with an expensive add-on that acts as physical DLC. EPCOT had a big anniversary this year; they did, essentially, a one day celebration for it. At the last expo they had before the pandemic, they announced a number of new rides; many of them have been canceled or changed, and at their most recent expo they announced a few additions to old rides, and one ride that's been in construction for five years or so is set to open next year. It's important to note that they announced a number of new attractions were to be at EPCOT, and they tore down a bunch of stuff for them. They then canceled some of the things meant to be there. The next new ride is a clone of a ride from a different Disney park overseas.

On top of all of this, Universal has very recently opened up an extremely well-received roller coaster in Orlando, added some good stuff in Hollywood, and is bringing their Mario land over to Hollywood. On top of that, they're currently deep into a new park in Orlando that's set to open in 2025. Disney has announced nothing that would open by then.

Jenny Nicholson and others have talked on Twitter and other places about this, but Disneyland and especially Disney World are parks that you plan months or years in advance to attend. It's very likely that a lot of the upcharges and cuts in service are going to result in revenue increases in the short term, but they're providing a bad experience right now, and it's the kind of experience where you might go home and say, "alright, maybe we don't need to go back," and there's enough buzz around them that's negative that word of mouth is also really bad. If Universal's new park is as good as advertised, they're likely to lose at least some business to Universal. It's already happening, to an extent.

None of this is likely to kill those parks, since they're an institution and Disney is constantly talking up what a magical and important experience it is for your children on their...extensive programming. They still make a lot of money. But this isn't the first time someone's taken over the company and gone "you know, I bet we could make more money on these parks if we jacked up the prices and cut funding," and it didn't go well the last time they tried, and that's with lesser competition than they're facing now.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Disney World base ticket is $109 dollars to get into a single park (Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Animal Kingdom, or the Hollywood Studios).

So your standard family of four is out $436 for a single day, single park. If you want to move from park to park in a day? That's an additional fee.

It gets even more ridiculous with the use of Genie+ to virtually queue for rides (all an additional fee), guess you want to spend a day waiting in line.

There's a whole cottage industry of companies that basically will organize your entire trip because things have gotten so confusing and detailed.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I’m increasingly glad I visited Orlando in 1994 and got to see all the things as a kid and now have no feeling of missing out on any of the park experiences

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm glad I hate going to theme parks and have no kids

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    I'm going to Disneyland in a couple weeks and will report back, but last time we went we basically did no prep work went on everything we wanted to (even the canoes!) and only missed out on the two star wars reservation things because we figured out how they worked but didn't realize how much of a sneaker drop kind of event it was. We legit got distracted because of the cheering thinking someone gor engaged.

The parking stuff is bullshit though

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I know plenty of Disney adults and have had several coworkers go. I almost planned a trip for me and Mrs thejokerman and even with free loging and half priced food it would have been almost an entire paycheck for me.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I went to Disney once as a kid, circa 2005, and had a pretty solid visit where we got to do all the major points of interest in the Magic Kingdom park, but have never really felt the need to return

I can get a lot of more interesting travel done for the same amount of cost, time, and stress and I'm very happy to hold to the positive memory I do have without feeling the need to physically revisit it. If I were to have kids I might take them when they're a similar age, 8 or 9ish, but otherwise it's not really on the docket

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Right now, I am far more likely to go to Dollywood than any of the Disney parks.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    It's really easy to say you're operating at zero profit or negative profit depending on how you say it. The difference between accounting profit and economic profit is so fucking vast for some businesses it should be criminal that they both use the word "profit" and most people don't understand the difference to the point at they don't even use the first word.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I went to Disney in Florida when I was an adolescent, which is the perfect age where you are both too old and too young to really appreciate the park, I think.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I went to Disneyland during the Hercules era.

We drove there from Victoria, B.C.

I remember it was the first time I heard my dad swear. He told my mom that the water at a motel we stayed at along the way was shitty.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Last time I went to a Disney place was 2011 after my brother escaped college with a sheepskin. It wasn't a bad time (Honestly, we had such a good time the experience still sticks with me even now) but it definitely wasn't cheap for 4 adults to do 4 parks in 5 days. I know my brother and his wife and my parents have gone back since and haven't really talked up the experience so I can't imagine it's been better.

Hells, in my more hopeful moments, I look up packages seeing what it would take to take a couple of the SOs out for a trip since they haven't been and the price makes my deal-oriented brain shrivel and howl like I just looked at the full scope of a Great Old One.

Also also, Defunctland did a fantastic documentary on the history of line waiting and the FastPass that covers a lot of ground on Disney's efforts to keep people satisfied with being able to visit their parks and ride their rides which I highly recommend as it's a non-zero factor in the situation being discussed here.

tl;dw
    Genie+ is a poorly implemented system that wasn't fully developed to fix the problem Disney purports it does, but they sunk so much R&D cash into it they had to get some use out of it, even if it kills a golden goose in the process. The result is instead of a system that rewards visitors to the park with a relatively homogenized experience that ensures you a decent chance of getting to ride the rides you want, you're instead drug into a nightmare of the planning for your trip being like you're executing a military operation just so your kid can ride goddamn Splash Mountain. And God help you if you don't, cause the Mouse sure won't.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    My review of Mubi after using a free trial with code maggiemaefish is that their servers are broken. I have fiber internet and after a minute (even when I allow all 12 third party cookies) it says nooo it's 240p time we're sleeeepy. I don't know how it still exists when you can't actually watch anything at night.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’m watching the original Silent Hill for the first time in a long time.

This movie does an excellent job capturing the emptiness and dread of the video game.

It’s a better movie that people give it credit for

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    It's really easy to say you're operating at zero profit or negative profit depending on how you say it. The difference between accounting profit and economic profit is so fucking vast for some businesses it should be criminal that they both use the word "profit" and most people don't understand the difference to the point at they don't even use the first word.

It also often seems like in these situations that "loss" often just means "less than we projected but still wildly more than we had before," which isn't an actual loss of anything, but you know, accounting jargon.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    Is The Quick and the Dead good? I think I might watch some Raimi on my day off.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »

Do you like quickdraw duels? Because woo boy, you get some fucking quickdraw duels.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

I like it!

also I'd be happy if I never had to go to an amusement/theme park ever again.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

yes

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I don't know if it's good, but it's damn entertaining

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

This movie does an excellent job capturing the emptiness and dread of the video game.

The vibes it captures are immaculate, it just can't elevate itself above the weakest elements of the series' lore.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

The vibes it captures are immaculate, it just can't elevate itself above the weakest elements of the series' lore.

it's better than like half of the games at least

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

It is one of my favorite movies, it's over cranked and absurd but also everyone in the cast is going ham on the whole thing.

I love it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Quick and the Dead rules

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Gene Hackman was born to play a Wild West villain, you can tell he enjoyed every second of that role

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Tar, Halloween Ends, and Smile all come to VOD today, which is my chance to say I love and recommend all of those (I've already talked at length about my love of Halloween)

Just finished watching Tar. The toughest one to recommend of the three, between the density and the length (2.5 hours), but also felt like the most satisfying one for it? Also Cate Blanchett gives a phenomenal performance that's among the year's best

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

if this is another Magic Mike, my wife might be excited

if this is another Magic Mike XXL, my wife will definitely be excited

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm kind of wary of Soderbergh directing again. XXL is the better movie by far, the dramatic stuff about the dark side of etc etc from the first one is largely a waste of time

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I had a dream about a few people doing an improv game in front of an audience that was just: Recieve a prompt of a concept -> Do a couple of poses illustrating that concept.

One of the participants was VERY good at it, but there was this one guy who, everytime for every suggestion, would do the same thing.

He'd be like:

"Hey, folks, can I get a suggestion for a concept? Oh, a Hollywood screenwriter? Okay! Okay! This might get a little wild, but no offense to any Hollywood screenwriters out there. Actually, my fiancee has seen a movie, so."

And then he would lay on his back, lift up his legs, pull apart his buttcheeks apart, then start laughing really hard, stand and walk off stage, to wait for his next turn.

And I would be laughing with him, the funniest improv guy.

• Options
    Tar, Halloween Ends, and Smile all come to VOD today, which is my chance to say I love and recommend all of those (I've already talked at length about my love of Halloween)

Just finished watching Tar. The toughest one to recommend of the three, between the density and the length (2.5 hours), but also felt like the most satisfying one for it? Also Cate Blanchett gives a phenomenal performance that's among the year's best

The house next to me was used in Halloween Ends and they had a lifesized Micheal Myers up and I hate myself for not taking a picture.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh hey! Smile is on Paramount Plus.

Time to check it out

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Oh hey! Smile is on Paramount Plus.

Time to check it out

I'll pray for you Raijin

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Smile

Brought to you by

The American Dental Association

This discussion has been closed.