Options

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Well I’ll say this

If you don’t like jump scares don’t watch Smile. There’s been like 9 in the first 30 minutes and a lot of them have been bullshit ones like PHONE RINGS REALLY LOUD

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    ha ha raijin is afraid of loud phones whatta wuss whatta NANCY

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I cry enough as it is! I don’t need loud phone ringing stress!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    was the phone smiling

• Options
    So far this movie is a lot of unearned jumpscares.

I don’t mind a jumpscare or 8 and I especially don’t mind them if they are earned by being a part of the story but Smile does that thing where it gets quiet then randomly something REALLY LOUD happens making you jump. Those are the laziest kind of jumpscares

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

MAGIC PINK WHERE IS MY BICYCLE! I'VE BEEN SHITPOSTING IN COLUMBIA FOR WEEKS NOW!

• Options
    edited November 2022

I don’t mind a jumpscare or 8 and I especially don’t mind them if they are earned by being a part of the story but Smile does that thing where it gets quiet then randomly something REALLY LOUD happens making you jump. Those are the laziest kind of jumpscares

Paranormal Activity 3 did the same shit. It's unimaginative, boring and actually weakens any later scares that may actually hold some spook juice

Magic Pink on
  • Options

How do you earn a jumpscare? Do you serve in the jumpscare wars?

• Options
    Jokerman wrote: »

How do you earn a jumpscare? Do you serve in the jumpscare wars?

No but you set it up with story and exposition so it’s not just RANDOM LOUD NOISE breaking up silence to make people jump.

The lawnmower in Sinister is a good example of a good jumpscare.

• Options
    Well

It was predictable and mostly unoriginal but it wasn’t bad.

C+ for Smile. Good Saturday afternoon movie

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Criterion announced their February releases

Hollywood Shuffle
    Two films by Marguerite Duras: India Song and Baxter, Vera Baxter
    Romeo And Juliet (1968)
    Dazed And Confused 4k
    The Three Colors trilogy in 4k

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Baxter Vera Baxter being the compliment to India Song seems odd when Son nom de Venise dans Calcutta Désert, a film which is a reimagining of the earlier film (using the same soundtrack but placing it over different footage), seems like the more obvious choice. Never seen Baxter, but I'll get around to it because no one made films like Duras.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Well

It's Tuesday

• Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Well

It's Tuesday

Correct!

• Options
    Beelzebuth is an incredibly upsetting movie and by that i mean please don't watch it if you even vaguely like children or even did once in your life

i don't say this often about films but i kinda think that one went too far

• Options
    AzraithAzraith DON'T Registered User regular
    Beelzebuth is an incredibly upsetting movie and by that i mean please don't watch it if you even vaguely like children or even did once in your life

i don't say this often about films but i kinda think that one went too far

I appreciate the craft that went into it and the main actor is amazing, but yeah I had to turn it off about halfway through because it got to the point where whatever payoff was coming wasn't worth the trauma being inflicted.

kgefLUA.png
    Steam Live: Azraith PSN: AzraithDeMitri
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Smile got and F for me the way it treated mental illnesses

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    IMPERIUS DICKS

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    ah, so that's why Jon Hamm hasn't put on a superhero outfit yet

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    It's really easy to say you're operating at zero profit or negative profit depending on how you say it. The difference between accounting profit and economic profit is so fucking vast for some businesses it should be criminal that they both use the word "profit" and most people don't understand the difference to the point at they don't even use the first word.

It also often seems like in these situations that "loss" often just means "less than we projected but still wildly more than we had before," which isn't an actual loss of anything, but you know, accounting jargon.

I think some companies even say they're operating at a "loss" just because their profits for the fiscal quarter were lower than the previous fiscal quarter. It's like they think everybody's stupid.

• Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Well

It's Tuesday

Correct!

It's Wednesday my Dudes!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    #ReleasetheBulgeCut

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Didn't they do the same thing bulge-wise with one of the Superman movies?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Honestly I was more busy staring at his pecs for most of his scenes, those tiddies were out

Also, Wakanda Forever was a very solid movie with (especially considering the turmoil it's production cycle saw) a fair bit of thoughtful meditation on the flaws of Black Panther and the lack of closure on that character's arc. I am worried it may be the last time that I actually am excited for, and really enjoy, an MCU film any time in the next couple years, though, because right now there are only one or two announced MCU things I'm even considering seeing. I'd only seen Shang-Chi and the last couple Tom Holland Spideys since Endgame, and I think my days of compulsively watching every Marvel thing are now well over three years past

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

They also did that to Angelina Jolie's nipples in Lara Croft

• Options
    https://variety.com/2022/film/news/alien-reboot-cailee-spaeny-1235434712/
    Cailee Spaeny, whose credits include HBO Max’s drama “Mare of Easttown” and “Pacific Rim Uprising,” is in talks to star in the next “Alien” movie at 20th Century Studios.

Director Fede Alvarez, best known for “Don’t Breathe” and 2013’s “Evil Dead” remake, also wrote the screenplay, which reboots the science-fiction horror franchise. It’s the seventh “Alien” movie following 2017’s “Alien: Covenant.”

Although the cast hasn’t been finalized, the studio hopes it will be able to get the cameras rolling by early 2023.

Ridley Scott is producing the untitled “Alien” installment

Ridley only producing aka this definitely not being Covenant/Prometheus instantly has me finally interested in an Alien film again

• Options
    I'm not sure if we as a species deserve both a good Predator movie and a good Alien movie within a couple years

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I believe it was Brandon Routh in Superman Returns.

Utter cowardice. Let the bulge loose.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I watched Doctor Sleep not long after watching The Shining

I did not like Doctor Sleep

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    I have a spare code for a digital (Vudu) copy of Pearl if anybody wants it

• Options
    I have a spare code for a digital (Vudu) copy of Pearl if anybody wants it

I’ll take it!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    IMPERIUS DICKS

IMPERIUS FUCKS

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    https://variety.com/2022/film/news/alien-reboot-cailee-spaeny-1235434712/
    Cailee Spaeny, whose credits include HBO Max’s drama “Mare of Easttown” and “Pacific Rim Uprising,” is in talks to star in the next “Alien” movie at 20th Century Studios.

Director Fede Alvarez, best known for “Don’t Breathe” and 2013’s “Evil Dead” remake, also wrote the screenplay, which reboots the science-fiction horror franchise. It’s the seventh “Alien” movie following 2017’s “Alien: Covenant.”

Although the cast hasn’t been finalized, the studio hopes it will be able to get the cameras rolling by early 2023.

Ridley Scott is producing the untitled “Alien” installment

Ridley only producing aka this definitely not being Covenant/Prometheus instantly has me finally interested in an Alien film again

I feel like no one will ever understand how much I hate Prometheus and how much I enjoy Covenant

Get Ridley just making weirdo trashy horror movie shit, and I’m on board! You really don’t have to get a different guy on it

That being said sure I’ll watch this, getting a straight up horror film director with a proven track record is a good idea, even if I don’t necessarily love all his movies

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Covenant was a great Prometheus sequel, but also a shite Alien prequel

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Covenant was a great Prometheus sequel, but also a shite Alien prequel

I mean I guess that’s a fair assessment

Taken on its own terms though it’s a good old fashioned mad scientist monster house movie, which you don’t get a lot of these days! It’s schlock but it’s fun, unpretentious schlock, which was a nice antidote after Prometheus

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I have never felt the need for an Alien movie after Alien and Aliens

To be fair, Alien is a perfect standalone movie but Aliens at least does something wildly different

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The ending of Covenant had the least tension and surprise out of every Alien movie that has released so far. The whole movie actually felt lifeless and unmotivated to me, perhaps save the scenes where Michael Fassbender flirted with himself.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I think the word "need" is weird when talking about movie sequels. For the most part no movie should really need a sequel. I could definitely imagine there's more interesting ideas to tell with the alien franchise. No one seems to be able to do it though.

I thought the idea of the aliens making it to Earth and destroying it might be interesting but we never quite get there.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    I watched Doctor Sleep not long after watching The Shining

I did not like Doctor Sleep

I thought it did a REALLY amazing job of mixing the Kubrick canon with the King canon but overall no it wasn't a great film. But I screamed like a 3 year old when the lady playing Wendy was on screen; she did such a fucking stunning impersonation of shelley duvall it was creepy.

And i really love finding out what happened to characters years later.

Magic Pink on
This discussion has been closed.