As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I think the word "need" is weird when talking about movie sequels. For the most part no movie should really need a sequel.

Did we "need" Terminator 2? Of course not. Art is, by its nature, unnecessary.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The budget for Fast X is already at $340mil with still months to go before even its first trailer https://www.thewrap.com/universal-box-office-future-fast-furious/
    The budget for “Fast X,” the penultimate film in Universal’s lucrative “Fast & Furious” action franchise, has ballooned to $340 million, according to individuals with knowledge of the production. That’s 70% more than the reported $200 million budget for 2021’s “F9: The Fast Saga,” and easily the most expensive entry

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    The budget for Fast X is already at $340mil with still months to go before even its first trailer https://www.thewrap.com/universal-box-office-future-fast-furious/
    The budget for “Fast X,” the penultimate film in Universal’s lucrative “Fast & Furious” action franchise, has ballooned to $340 million, according to individuals with knowledge of the production. That’s 70% more than the reported $200 million budget for 2021’s “F9: The Fast Saga,” and easily the most expensive entry

could they maybe pay for Charlize Theron to have a better haircut this time

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I just realized Popstar is on HBO Max which means I can finally watch Popstar.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I just realized Popstar is on HBO Max which means I can finally watch Popstar.

Dooooooo it!!!! There is a big spoiler for The Good Wife early on!!

I learned that the hard way

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Popstar is good.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    I watched Doctor Sleep not long after watching The Shining

I did not like Doctor Sleep

I thought it did a REALLY amazing job of mixing the Kubrick canon with the King canon but overall no it wasn't a great film. But I screamed like a 3 year old when the lady playing Wendy was on screen; she did such a fucking stunning impersonation of shelley duvall it was creepy.

And i really love finding out what happened to characters years later.

I thought her vocal impression was very good
    My favorite scene was Danny's speech at AA and his talk with Lloyd!Jack at the bar. Really hits the tale of addiction and falling in that the King story focused on. I thought all the visual nods were pretty hokey, especially the interview room being the exact same for no real reason.

The new plot with Abra... well I liked her early stuff with her doing all sorts of magic kid stuff but the villains in the movie suck. I don't think they're that scary and also the fact that it's a (in the book) romani woman, native tracker, and a queer woman at the center of that makes me grimace.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I watched Doctor Sleep not long after watching The Shining

I did not like Doctor Sleep

I thought it did a REALLY amazing job of mixing the Kubrick canon with the King canon but overall no it wasn't a great film. But I screamed like a 3 year old when the lady playing Wendy was on screen; she did such a fucking stunning impersonation of shelley duvall it was creepy.

And i really love finding out what happened to characters years later.

I thought her vocal impression was very good
    My favorite scene was Danny's speech at AA and his talk with Lloyd!Jack at the bar. Really hits the tale of addiction and falling in that the King story focused on. I thought all the visual nods were pretty hokey, especially the interview room being the exact same for no real reason.

The new plot with Abra... well I liked her early stuff with her doing all sorts of magic kid stuff but the villains in the movie suck. I don't think they're that scary and also the fact that it's a (in the book) romani woman, native tracker, and a queer woman at the center of that makes me grimace.

the villains were real bad, i agree

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I watched half of Sympathy for Mr Vengeance before deciding this movie sucks. It costs $0 for a movie to have a point

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I started watching Don’t Worry Darling but I couldn’t get into it.

Harry Styles just looks like Harry Styles. Every time he was on the screen my thought was, “oh it’s pop star Harry Styles, formerly of One Direction!”

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'll tell you what isn't Don't Worry Darling, Moonraker!!

I watched Moonraker last night and enjoyed it quite a bit!

But that Roger Moore, at this point in his tenure as James Bond, he's starting to show his age...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Moonraker is not the best bond movie but it is the most bond movie, and I love it for that.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

Harry Styles just looks like Harry Styles. Every time he was on the screen my thought was, “oh it’s pop star Harry Styles, formerly of One Direction!”

It's also incredibly dull.

The conceit & story is fine, but it's just so devoid of any tension, character, anything at all. The moments that are meant to be dramatic are flat, the reveals should be horrifying but make you shrug, if you've not already slipped into a lethargic coma.

It's a shame since the 'genre' of
    horror about shitty men that's had a minor upswing lately-ish is a good one, but this falls on its face. Watch The Invisible Man again instead, or for something like the flawed but interesting Run Sweetheart Run that actually managed to get released recently.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular

What did you expect Harry Styles to look like?

• Options
    Odin wrote: »

What did you expect Harry Styles to look like?

Dabney Coleman

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    All I could think of during Don't Worry Darling was "Hey, it's Palm Springs!" and "Oh hey, it's the Palm Springs trolley!"

For a better movie about Palm Springs, can I recommend Palm Springs?

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Where was it??

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Watched Smile, was fine but has one of my most hated things in horror movies,
    it ends with like the cycle continuing and nothings changed. And I feel like great yeah scary, but as a movie there needs to be a reason I’m watching this link in the chain and not the others. If this is just another failed victim in the chain, what’s the point.
    I get it’s like a common trope in horror, and some would argue it’s a crucial element to some forms of horror, but I’m just utterly sick of it. Whenever I watch horror movies now I look for the tell tale signs of this trope and if they’re there I just tune out

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Prohass wrote: »
    Watched Smile, was fine but has one of my most hated things in horror movies,
    it ends with like the cycle continuing and nothings changed. And I feel like great yeah scary, but as a movie there needs to be a reason I’m watching this link in the chain and not the others. If this is just another failed victim in the chain, what’s the point.
    I get it’s like a common trope in horror, and some would argue it’s a crucial element to some forms of horror, but I’m just utterly sick of it. Whenever I watch horror movies now I look for the tell tale signs of this trope and if they’re there I just tune out

It's just low sequel bait.

If they had
    Established some narrative reasoning for the next victim to maybe have more of a shot of breaking the cycle then it wouldn't have been as groan worthy.

In It Follows it at least has the fear of a life forever altered, unable to live a traditionally full life without severe consequences for yourself or others, which ties really well into the horror STD angle.

Smile is just "The End, no moral!"

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Fine is exactly the word that should be used to describe Smile.

It’s a perfectly middle of the road horror movie.

• Options
    I’m watching The People We Hate at the Wedding

This cast is pretty loaded!

• Options

It was ok…not going to watch it again but I don’t feel like I wasted my time.

Got a few laughs out of me.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2022

Were you loaded by the end of it?

Commander Zoom on
  • Options

Were you loaded by the end of it?

I was stoned for the entirety of the movie. Still am!

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Alright I sucked it up and watched Barbarian. It was great.
    Going in, I knew about the mother and what I had read about that made me pretty uncomfortable (the forced suckling, etc.) was only briefly shown and wasn't all that bad so that was a relief. I thought knowing about her would deflate the buildup to the reveal but I was legit spooked for the first 30 minutes or so, just waiting for her to show up. Even though I knew Keith wasn't up to anything, they did a great job communicating Tess' aprehension.

I was absolutely delighted for Justin Long's appearance. I knew he was in it but I just assumed he was running the situation so that whole sequence was fantastic. The measuring joke got me every time.

edit: I will also say that although it's not subtle about it's broader social commentary, it's far less up it's own ass about the same themes as Men.

edit again: I think the only thing that didn't really work for me is the flashback scene. Necessary, I think, but clunky.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

We watched this last night and I thought it was cromulent to good! I love Allison Janet in everything she does.

Also is it just me or do Amazon movies look fake? There are a few scenes here that look straight up green screened locations. Admittedly good green screens, but still fake.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

We watched this last night and I thought it was cromulent to good! I love Allison Janet in everything she does.

Also is it just me or do Amazon movies look fake? There are a few scenes here that look straight up green screened locations. Admittedly good green screens, but still fake.

Yes, there is something about them that looks off

• Options
    Watching The Hunt (2012), you can tell the movie isn't in English because the first scene has a middle aged penis

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

Per an email to staff, Bob Chapek is stepping down as Disney CEO and former Disney CEO Bob Iger is stepping back into the role

• Options
    Bobs only at Disney

• Options
    we're on a three Bob run that only contains two Bobs

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Bob on Dis nutz

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Anyways, "CEO of Disney" is one of the most visible positions you can have in entertainment and Chapek spent the last year and a half systematically pissing off just about everyone he possibly could so it's not a huge shock that he's gone. It's wild that Iger quit in February of 2020, about a month before the pandemic shut everything down (I don't think it's a stretch to say the burgeoning pandemic played some part in that decision) and then came back right at the moment everyone was about as pissed off as they could possibly be at his successor.

Bob Chapek sucked in a lot of ways that Iger will almost certainly fix, and he also sucked in a lot of ways that all CEOs suck. He's sure got a laundry list of loud complaints about Disney to respond to but I'd imagine that, like...telling Kevin Feige to stop running VFX studios in the ground probably isn't on his list

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Anyways, "CEO of Disney" is one of the most visible positions you can have in entertainment and Chapek spent the last year and a half systematically pissing off just about everyone he possibly could so it's not a huge shock that he's gone. It's wild that Iger quit in February of 2020, about a month before the pandemic shut everything down (I don't think it's a stretch to say the burgeoning pandemic played some part in that decision) and then came back right at the moment everyone was about as pissed off as they could possibly be at his successor.

Bob Chapek sucked in a lot of ways that Iger will almost certainly fix, and he also sucked in a lot of ways that all CEOs suck. He's sure got a laundry list of loud complaints about Disney to respond to but I'd imagine that, like...telling Kevin Feige to stop running VFX studios in the ground probably isn't on his list

We're going to see if, for example, the focus on basically running the Disney parks on the idea that visitors are fungible and loyalty doesn't matter goes away.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if this was part of Iger's plan, because he knew that COVID was going to be kind of a shitshow.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

We're going to see if, for example, the focus on basically running the Disney parks on the idea that visitors are fungible and loyalty doesn't matter goes away.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if this was part of Iger's plan, because he knew that COVID was going to be kind of a shitshow.

I guess part of the statement here is that Iger is only taking over for two years, so what I'd guess is that Iger saw a chance to get out before something big happened, and was content to be...retired, or whatever the hell he was doing, and Disney paid him a lot of money to come in and save their asses. Guy's 71, it feels like he probably was done with this shit.

• Options
    Bobs in the boardroom, Chrises on the screen

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I guess part of the statement here is that Iger is only taking over for two years, so what I'd guess is that Iger saw a chance to get out before something big happened, and was content to be...retired, or whatever the hell he was doing, and Disney paid him a lot of money to come in and save their asses. Guy's 71, it feels like he probably was done with this shit.

Yeah the two-year stint feels extremely desperate, like Chapek was making everyone so mad they'd do anything to get rid of him, and this was anything

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Alright I sucked it up and watched Barbarian. It was great.
    Going in, I knew about the mother and what I had read about that made me pretty uncomfortable (the forced suckling, etc.) was only briefly shown and wasn't all that bad so that was a relief. I thought knowing about her would deflate the buildup to the reveal but I was legit spooked for the first 30 minutes or so, just waiting for her to show up. Even though I knew Keith wasn't up to anything, they did a great job communicating Tess' aprehension.

I was absolutely delighted for Justin Long's appearance. I knew he was in it but I just assumed he was running the situation so that whole sequence was fantastic. The measuring joke got me every time.

edit: I will also say that although it's not subtle about it's broader social commentary, it's far less up it's own ass about the same themes as Men.

edit again: I think the only thing that didn't really work for me is the flashback scene. Necessary, I think, but clunky.

I really enjoyed the style of the flashback stuff. How it was weirdly janky Wide-angle. I also like how we see white flight being the soil that the evil plans take root in. How everyone not wanting to look at the ugly blight provided the cover for the crime.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

From what I've seen of behind the scenes docos, it's rarer to have a scene NOT filmed in front of green screen

This discussion has been closed.