Options

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Anyways, "CEO of Disney" is one of the most visible positions you can have in entertainment and Chapek spent the last year and a half systematically pissing off just about everyone he possibly could so it's not a huge shock that he's gone. It's wild that Iger quit in February of 2020, about a month before the pandemic shut everything down (I don't think it's a stretch to say the burgeoning pandemic played some part in that decision) and then came back right at the moment everyone was about as pissed off as they could possibly be at his successor.

Bob Chapek sucked in a lot of ways that Iger will almost certainly fix, and he also sucked in a lot of ways that all CEOs suck. He's sure got a laundry list of loud complaints about Disney to respond to but I'd imagine that, like...telling Kevin Feige to stop running VFX studios in the ground probably isn't on his list

It's funny because a lot of the problems Disney has right now is the legacy of Iger's lameduck tenure not Chapeks' decisions.

https://youtu.be/w-4k9c8LZU4

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Disney is such a massive institution with huge internal inertia, so it's hard to believe Chapek is the source of all the current ills there. Disney was already heading in he direction that Iger was piloting it, and while the pandemic afforded Chapek the opportunity to wildly fuck shit up, this truly feels like a "we're all trying to find the guy who did this" situation.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Iger, for better or worse, was there the last time things were Good, and he's also much better at not giving interviews where he says things like, "cartoons aren't for adults, they're for babies." It's almost certainly a move to placate shareholders more than anything, but I'd also guess that it'll be easier for Iger to change course on some things now that the larger public perception is that it was some other dumbass who made those moves.

Again, I don't expect Disney to become some lovely friendly company where everything is great. It's still an oppressively large corporation, and Iger is responsible for a lot of that.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Alright I sucked it up and watched Barbarian. It was great.
    Going in, I knew about the mother and what I had read about that made me pretty uncomfortable (the forced suckling, etc.) was only briefly shown and wasn't all that bad so that was a relief. I thought knowing about her would deflate the buildup to the reveal but I was legit spooked for the first 30 minutes or so, just waiting for her to show up. Even though I knew Keith wasn't up to anything, they did a great job communicating Tess' aprehension.

I was absolutely delighted for Justin Long's appearance. I knew he was in it but I just assumed he was running the situation so that whole sequence was fantastic. The measuring joke got me every time.

edit: I will also say that although it's not subtle about it's broader social commentary, it's far less up it's own ass about the same themes as Men.

edit again: I think the only thing that didn't really work for me is the flashback scene. Necessary, I think, but clunky.

I really enjoyed the style of the flashback stuff. How it was weirdly janky Wide-angle. I also like how we see white flight being the soil that the evil plans take root in. How everyone not wanting to look at the ugly blight provided the cover for the crime.

I think it was just the clash of styles (particularly the colors being so jarring) that I didn't care for. It felt exaggerated (but maybe I just don't know what shit looked like back then so I dunno). It's a good setup for the rest of the film just not to my taste.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Avatar: The Way of Water is being listed as 3 hours and 12 minutes.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

but will it have an intermission

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

That’s just the trailer

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Iger, for better or worse, was there the last time things were Good, and he's also much better at not giving interviews where he says things like, "cartoons aren't for adults, they're for babies." It's almost certainly a move to placate shareholders more than anything, but I'd also guess that it'll be easier for Iger to change course on some things now that the larger public perception is that it was some other dumbass who made those moves.

Again, I don't expect Disney to become some lovely friendly company where everything is great. It's still an oppressively large corporation, and Iger is responsible for a lot of that.

Iger also knew how to be way more mealy-mouthed about support for LGBT issues, say. And knew when he had to throw his political weight around.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited November 2022

He cursed out a Fox exec for thinking it could maybe be shorter https://variety.com/2022/film/news/james-cameron-cursed-fox-executive-avatar-shorter-runtime-1235438888/
    “I said something I’ve never said to anybody else in the business,” Cameron said, revealing that he told the exec the following statement: ”I think this movie is going to make all the fucking money. And when it does, it’s going to be too late for you to love the film. The time for you to love the movie is today. So I’m not asking you to say something that you don’t feel, but just know that I will always know that no matter how complimentary you are about the movie in the future when it makes all the money.”

“And that’s exactly what I said, in caps, ALL THE MONEY, not some of the money, all the fucking money,” Cameron continued. “I said, ‘You can’t come back to me and compliment the film or chum along and say, ‘Look what we did together.’ You won’t be able to do that.’

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    God I don’t think it will but it would be so fucking funny if it just falls flat on its face

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    I'll eat a nacho hat if avatar 2 does anywhere close to avatar 1

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

You should just do that anyways, h2h

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

but will it have an intermission

The 3 hours and 12 minutes is without the overture and intermission, each running about 10 minutes.

The credits are a further 20 minutes, but you'll want to stay for them as there's a post-credit scene (30 seconds) of Cameron masturbating in a pool.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    not a pool, a submarine in a pool

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Well, yeah, he's gonna be in a sub, that's always a given.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular

That's not even a punishment

I'll eat a nacho hat right now! No bet needed, I'll just do it!

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »

He's more submarine than man, now

• Options
    spono wrote: »

That's not even a punishment

I'll eat a nacho hat right now! No bet needed, I'll just do it!

who said it was a punishment

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Last looks is a delightful plane movie filled with great actors doing bizarre things and also garbage person Mel Gibson, who still saddly gives an absolute fantastic performance. It was a perfect plane movie

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Look if everyone needs to make their movies over three goddamn hours now, fine whatever I can live with that

Bring back the intermission!

Titanic had an intermission! It was basically the exact same length!

• Options
    James Cameron is gonna pull it off again, you watch it.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    What if we all spend a lot of time and effort convincing people this is the next Last Airbender movie. I think it's not too late to tank this thing.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Beware.. The Submanrine!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Odin wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

Beware.. The Submanrine!

Imperius Titanic

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    James Cameron is gonna pull it off again, you watch it.

I hate that this is true because I hate Avatar

But I learned the last time to never count out Touchdown Cam

…but it would be really funny

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    A win for cam means that all those executives he told to eat shit literally have to eat shit that's the rule

• Options
    A win for cam means that all those executives he told to eat shit literally have to eat shit that's the rule

I have to remind myself that he’s talking to studio suits, and also that he made Terminator 2

Otherwise I would want him humbled and brought low, his hubris punished, his ego cracked and splintered

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

I have to remind myself that he’s talking to studio suits, and also that he made Terminator 2

Otherwise I would want him humbled and brought low, his hubris punished, his ego cracked and splintered

Don’t forget Aliens. Also true lies which I love but is divisive

• Options
    James Cameron is one of the few people alive who can honestly say he's made the greatest movie of all time, several times over

• Options
    James Cameron is one of the few people alive who can honestly say he's made the greatest movie of all time, several times over

Yeah, in terms of genre pictures, it’s kind of an unparalleled run. Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Terminator 2, True Lies… that’s a resume of movie-ass movies right there

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    But if the movie flops, James Cameron has to eat shit AND movie studios lose a shitload of money.

• Options
    I doubt it'll flop, but I think it'll struggle to get the $2billion it needs.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    What was the last movie James Cameron made that could be considered a flop?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Written/Produced? Terminator Dark Fate, I guess?

Directed? Uh… Piranha 2: The Spawning?

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    What was the last movie James Cameron made that could be considered a flop?
    The Abyss is probably as close as he gets and I'm pretty sure that film made money, just not $Texas like all his others.

• Options
    James Cameron has really only directed 7 movies and that blows my mind. I would have guessed over 20

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    All I know is I have zero interest in seeing Avatar 2.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    All I know is I have zero interest in seeing Avatar 2.

I can't even remembsr if I saw the first one!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I do not enjoy James Cameron's movies.

• Options
    I would say James Cameron has yet to make a movie that I don’t at least like

This discussion has been closed.