Options

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

16566687071100

Posts

  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hmm I think I disagree

    Hobbes is often a tiger! I've read a bunch of those comics and in them he is very frequently a tiger - I am seeing him as a tiger, in fact

    Does that mean I am Calvin at that moment, or is it possible that Hobbes is more frequently a proper tiger?

  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Hobbes is a WereTiger

  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Hmm I think I disagree

    Hobbes is often a tiger! I've read a bunch of those comics and in them he is very frequently a tiger - I am seeing him as a tiger, in fact

    Does that mean I am Calvin at that moment, or is it possible that Hobbes is more frequently a proper tiger?

    you simply don't exist

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Hmm I think I disagree

    Hobbes is often a tiger! I've read a bunch of those comics and in them he is very frequently a tiger - I am seeing him as a tiger, in fact

    Does that mean I am Calvin at that moment, or is it possible that Hobbes is more frequently a proper tiger?

    you simply don't exist

    Fun Fact: Cease to exist is the song Charles Manson wrote for the beach boys.

  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Hobbes is as real as your tongue and slightly more real than your teeth

  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Hobbes is schrodinger’s tiger

    He’s real until observed by someone other than Calvin

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Also that Zach Levi tweet now has the Covid 19 disclaimer

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Do you think Calvin beats the shit out of himself when Hobbes is depicted as tackling him as a welcome home?

  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Do you think Calvin beats the shit out of himself when Hobbes is depicted as tackling him as a welcome home?

    I read some shit on Buzzfeed or something that the whole 'Hobbes tackles him' as a fantasy stand in for Moe beating him up way more often than he lets on.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That makes me sad and I'm mad at you for telling us it

  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    Hobbes is as real as your tongue and slightly more real than your teeth

    and now you're aware of your tongue.

  • Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Tar
    It's doing a "look how fall she's fallen, playing VIDEO GAME music in the Philippines" and both of those things just kinda rub me the wrong way.
    It's partly that, but it's more than when she puts on the headset, she's hearing a click track so she is conducting the orchestra to exactly match the video playing behind her. In the beginning she talks about how her power as a conductor is controlling the timing of the song, so the ending is literally showing how her only real power has been taken away from her.

  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Hobbes is schrodinger’s tiger

    He’s real until observed by someone other than Calvin

    And much like the universe as established by this year's Nobel thesis in physics, neither Hobbes, nor Calvin are locally real.

    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hobbes clearly remains real to Calvin while other characters are observing him be a stuffed animal, he hides his true nature from the unworthy with glamours

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Hmm I think I disagree

    Hobbes is often a tiger! I've read a bunch of those comics and in them he is very frequently a tiger - I am seeing him as a tiger, in fact

    Does that mean I am Calvin at that moment, or is it possible that Hobbes is more frequently a proper tiger?

    You are seeing Hobbes through Calvin’s perspective through the magic of imagination and art drawings.

    Because it is not, in fact, a documentary filmed in real time, but a cartoon drawn by an artist.

  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Do you think Calvin beats the shit out of himself when Hobbes is depicted as tackling him as a welcome home?

    Lol if you ain’t played too rough with your stuffed animals and caused yourself physical harm

    Just lmfao.

    (I was a clumsy child).

  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Hmm I think I disagree

    Hobbes is often a tiger! I've read a bunch of those comics and in them he is very frequently a tiger - I am seeing him as a tiger, in fact

    Does that mean I am Calvin at that moment, or is it possible that Hobbes is more frequently a proper tiger?

    You are seeing Hobbes through Calvin’s perspective through the magic of imagination and art drawings.

    Because it is not, in fact, a documentary filmed in real time, but a cartoon drawn by an artist.

    what the fuck is this? fuck you!

  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Hobbes is real to Calvin, and that's the important bit.

  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Gonna wait until Calvin and Hobbes are in the public domain and then do a fucked up gritty live action thing where Calvin's a serial killer who hallucinates a tiger that tells him to kill

  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Gonna wait until Calvin and Hobbes are in the public domain and then do a fucked up gritty live action thing where Calvin's a serial killer who hallucinates a tiger that tells him to kill

    man, in eighty years this is gonna be real and you know it, fuck you

  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Gonna wait until Calvin and Hobbes are in the public domain and then do a fucked up gritty live action thing where Calvin's a serial killer who hallucinates a tiger that tells him to kill

    I have good news and I have bad news.

    The good news is we'll all be dead by the time that happens.

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Remember that internet about Calvin and Hobbes being like Fight Club?

    It was an internet from a while back.

  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    20140910-calvin.png

  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    this is violence

  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    kris straub is trying to hurt us yes

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    there were a lot of people doing WHAT IF CALVIN WAS AN ADULT NOW comics coming out built specifically to I guess go viral on Facebook?

  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Gonna wait until Calvin and Hobbes are in the public domain and then do a fucked up gritty live action thing where Calvin's a serial killer who hallucinates a tiger that tells him to kill

    A Boy And His Tiger

  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    shoot, there was one in newspapers for a while called Frazz that genuinely felt like lawyer-friendly C&H fanfic from time to time

  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Instead of talking about people stealing Watterson's work to make fucked up adaptations, why don't we reminisce about that time that Watterson drew Pearls Before Swine for a week as a gag?
    a79.png

    Here's Stephan Pastis, the Pearls before Swine author's, blog post about how it happened. My favorite bit is when Bill emailed him saying he had a comic idea, and Stephan replied:
    Dear Bill,

    I will do whatever you want, including setting my hair on fire.

    milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying this Riseborough oscar nom debate. What do you mean the Oscar nomination process is actually totally bullshit!? Who could've known?!

  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    there were a lot of people doing WHAT IF CALVIN WAS AN ADULT NOW comics coming out built specifically to I guess go viral on Facebook?
    4yl4bdd35o1q.jpeg

    I don't like the insinuation that Calvin would name his child Bacon.

  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Damn Im crying

  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    honovere wrote: »
    I'm enjoying this Riseborough oscar nom debate. What do you mean the Oscar nomination process is actually totally bullshit!? Who could've known?!

    From what little I know, it's kind of a messy situation. She's completely deserving of the nomination, but it's how she got it that's the problem... but on the other other hand, it's the kind of film no one would even know existed since independent films are pointedly sent to die.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I heard y'all like murder mysteries?!

    Especially sequels to murder mysteries???

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM2F56uK0fs

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    My parents bought, I think every single Calvin and Hobbes book through the scholastic book fair as me and my brother grew up. We would read them over and over again.

    Unfortunately my parents constant smoking in the house destroyed all of these books.

    So I purchased a complete leather bound collection of the entire run and it has some nice little notes and memories written by Waterson.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Never heard of the original, so I thought of Neil Gaiman's "Murder Mysteries" first.

    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I'm enjoying this Riseborough oscar nom debate. What do you mean the Oscar nomination process is actually totally bullshit!? Who could've known?!

    I'm just curious what people THOUGHT Oscar campaigning was, how they THOUGHT the nomination process worked

    "Nomination season" is "get people to watch all those homework movies they skipped upon release" season, and doing whatever you can to get eyeballs on your movie. She successfully got people to pay attention to a small film by leveraging relationships to get some media attention. That's... What awards do.

    The people who apparently believe in some sort of pure, objective meritocracy are, to me, FAR sillier than the people who played the game.

    (I've also noticed a lot of overlap between "shocked that the Oscars run on relationships" crowd and the "watches near-exclusively franchise movies and can't understand why superhero movies don't get more Oscars" crowd, but that's just anecdotal)

  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Maybe that's why horror movies don't get nominations, you just don't see the studios pushing the likes of Hereditary and It Follows with for your consideration ads, but maybe they should be.

    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Maybe that's why horror movies don't get nominations, you just don't see the studios pushing the likes of Hereditary and It Follows with for your consideration ads, but maybe they should be.

    Academy voting body skews older and horror audiences skew younger, it ain't deep

  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    If your Oscar campaign isn't David Lynch with a cow and a large sign, what are you even doing?

    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
This discussion has been closed.