Options

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    People on this forum talk about it all the time.
    It's pretty much exactly what happened here.

Avatar's cultural impact is that it makes people constantly talk about how Avatar hasn't had the same cultural impact as other high-grossing movies.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    maybe we're just not the target demographic

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    This forum? This group of dumbasses who regularly spends dozens of pages talking about Fraiser isn't the target demographic for Avatar?

Well, now I've heard everything.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    This forum? This group of dumbasses who regularly spends dozens of pages talking about Fraiser isn't the target demographic for Avatar?

Okay, fine, we can be flexible...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    I was not at all prepared for that.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    crank rules though

haven't had a solid opportunity to break out the disagree button in a while, thank you

• Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    https://thedirect.com/article/james-cameron-thanos-depopulation-plan
    I can relate to Thanos... I thought he had a pretty viable answer. The problem is nobody is going to put up their hand to volunteer to be the half that has to go.

Uh, okay Jim

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I feel like everybody who says Thanos is right is a good way to find the volunteers.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    didn't he see Endgame, even Thanos was like "well, that didn't work..."

• Options
    crzyangocrzyango Registered User regular
    @Poorochondriac @Hacksaw

I dont know if this running joke happens on the west coast, but every SINGLE time I see a crew member get asked what we're shooting, this is the response. This was laser targeted at me I guess.

4rclpio6zmbd.jpg

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Thanos trying to impress and seduce Death is such a wilder and funnier and better motivation than "overpopulation"

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I do think it's funny that people were complaining that Infinity War didn't do enough to "argue that Thanos was wrong," like "I'm going to kill 50% of the population of the universe" was somehow something that needed moral clarity before you knew it was bad

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Indicative of the undercurrent of eco fascism currently in the zeitgeist.

• Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Thanos trying to impress and seduce Death is such a wilder and funnier and better motivation than "overpopulation"

It just made way more sense!

I mean if it's overpopulation and you have a magic genie, just wish that birth rates drop until there are half as many people, and then stabilize at that number.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I mean if it's overpopulation and you have a magic genie, just wish that birth rates drop until there are half as many people, and then stabilize at that number.

or like, more resources and habitable planets, a thing he can explicitly do

• Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular

In the comics it's both

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Or maybe, like Sauron, he just wants to turn people into dinosaurs kill half of everyone.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Or maybe, like Sauron, he just wants to turn people into dinosaurs kill half of everyone.

he's like the labyrinth guy, always suggesting 50% genocides to solve every problem

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Okay, fine, we can be flexible...

Brain: . . . truly unobtainable because Chez Henri burned to the ground to send them on their millennium RV trip.
    Me: We can't remember where the keys are right now, but THAT is somehow on immediate recall?
    Brain: The Wings lady was in that one.
    Me: The keys, I'm begging you.
    Brain: Fay, not Helen.

Last pint: Ridgeback Red / Block 15 - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I mean part of it is that the MCU Thanos WAS just an megalomaniacal tyrant who's whole "justification" disappears the moment anyone actually puts up a fight against him.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Important: can I bang the sexy cat alien before I say goodbye?

Happiness is within reach!
  • Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular

Yeah, but people can double a population size in no time flat. So he'd have to make infinite planets to solve the problem forever.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Yeah, but people can double a population size in no time flat. So he'd have to make infinite planets to solve the problem forever.

So what, it's literally magic, why is infinite resources magic less realistic than "halve the birth rate and stabilize it" magic, it's all magic

• Options
    he's trying to murder half the population of the universe to solve a problem that doesn't exist I don't know that we need to workshop this

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    What if every planet were a room in an infinitely large hotel

• Options
    derzubvaglr2.jpg

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    derzubvaglr2.jpg

I mean, that's a man with a mission

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Once again I must remind everyone that the reason Thanos did what he did in the comics was because Death explicitly told him that the universe was heading towards a Malthusian apocalypse and he needed to stop it.

b5Ozvyq.jpg

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    If Thanos was so concerned about overpopulation why'd he make all those clones of himself that one time

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Once again I must remind everyone that the reason Thanos did what he did in the comics was because Death explicitly told him that the universe was heading towards a Malthusian apocalypse and he needed to stop it.

b5Ozvyq.jpg

Although he really didn't care about that, all he wanted to do was impress her, and even afterward, she wasn't satisfied.
    (or maybe was just fed up with him, either/or.)

That said, I found the MCU version a lot more interesting, since he actually seemed to be doing it for a character-driven reason from his backstory(giving him more personality), not just "I want to impress this lady".

But that said, if they'd used the opportunity to pair him up with Hela, I'd have been all for that.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

https://i.imgur.com/b5Ozvyq.jpg

Although he really didn't care about that, all he wanted to do was impress her, and even afterward, she wasn't satisfied.
    (or maybe was just fed up with him, either/or.)

What happened afterwards is that she was basically offended that he had become more powerful than her because of the Infinity Gauntlet. She had basically given him an impossible task, and hadn't expected him to make himself basically omnipotent in order to accomplish it.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    If Thanos was so concerned about overpopulation why'd he make all those clones of himself that one time

Look there’s no ethical genocide under capitalism

Also I never got why thanos was so powerful pre gauntlet. Is that explained in the comics? Was his race all super powerful like that or was he unique in some way? Like why even without the stones was he so strong?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Thanos in the MCU is just fucking stupid, the end. Somehow the magnetic axis of his home planet got thrown off because there were too many people? What in the fuck?

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I think he works cos of the performance and the gravity of his presence, but yeah his emotional motivations are kind of missing from the equation. That sometimes works when it’s intentionally left mysterious, but the bits they do fill in undermine that enigmatic heft. Also it’s bullshit that the movie basically had a “but he did love gamora, the magic of the universe accepting his sacrifice proves it”, and I’m like, but the magic universe should know that you can’t sacrifice someone you love, because then you wouldn’t truly love them, it’s a contradiction! But it just kind of blows past that and I guess it’s ok if the magic universe is assessing that from thanos perspective he does love her?

Prohass on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

Look there’s no ethical genocide under capitalism

Also I never got why thanos was so powerful pre gauntlet. Is that explained in the comics? Was his race all super powerful like that or was he unique in some way? Like why even without the stones was he so strong?

They were all super powered, yes. And he was a mutant offshoot with even more power.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The What If show they did is very bad but there's something very funny about what unfortunately became their Chadwick Boseman episode, that was "what if T'Challa became Star Lord?" because it's like "the universe would be so good that Thanos is just a friendly guy! he doesn't do any of that!" but uh, it's also like "Yondu is really friendly and nice to T'Challa!" Which, sure, fine, but in conversation with the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, it's like, "oh, the reason Yondu abused the kid he kidnapped was because he had bad vibes. I mean, I guess that message is already kind of in the movies, but

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Thanos in the MCU is just fucking stupid, the end. Somehow the magnetic axis of his home planet got thrown off because there were too many people? What in the fuck?

That probably had nothing to do with it, he likely just used that as an excuse.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yondu correctly identifies that Chris Pratt needs to be bullied.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I thought yondu treated him rough because he was trying to prepare him for what he saw as a harsh world, and to protect him from ego? Or at least that was the gotg2 rationale I think?

Edit: Nevermind I see what you’re saying misread your post

Prohass on
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Yondu correctly identifies that Chris Pratt needs to be bullied.

Even with the knowledge that the bullying of an adolescent Chris Pratt would be the first domino in a downright comical chain reaction that ends with setting off the death of half of all life in the universe, I would still do it.

This discussion has been closed.