Options

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

194959698100

Posts

  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    okay, fine, I will watch Cocaine Bear.

  • Options
    UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    I am very excited to go see the newest MCU movie this weekend.

    Cocaine Bear

    Ah yes, the Marvelous Cocaine Ursus

    You called?

  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Holy shit this fucking movie is just…preposterous

  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Lyle, Lyle Crocodile has a (spoiler JUST IN CASE)
    BEATBOXING SNAKE

  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Elizabeth Banks is another person I’ve always thought put in way more effort than was strictly necessary in all her projects and seems awfully cool. It’s a shame she didn’t get the Thor gig, but goddamn if I’m not excited to see what she’s done with a coked up killer bear.

    mzki7y0f39w1.png

    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Over the weekend we went to see Magic Mike's Last Dance for my wife's birthday. As someone who hasn't seen the first movie and has seen XXL multiple times, as well as the first season of Finding Magic Mike, I enjoyed it. The stakes aren't quite as low as they were in XXL, but it's close. Salma Hayek is always fun to watch, as is the new actor playing her daughter, and Channing Tatum's Mike is a sort of generically nice blank slate who is also a phenomenal dancer.

    If your fair complaint with XXL was that nobody except Tatum and Twitch were particularly good dancers, MMLD makes up for that complaint and then some - the innocuous plot is punctuated with scenes of frankly incredible dancing from a multitude of dancers that the movie doesn't try to force into scenes where they might need to act. It's ultimately a story about creating the Magic Mike Live Vegas Show (but in London), complete with a lot of performance. If you ever wanted to go see the Vegas show but the logistics didn't work out, the movie does a good job of making you feel as if you're in that audience.

    Also, if you liked this part of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
    2efe1f5bbef3f4f11b88d73b92b416d001-07-always-sunny-mac-9.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

    then you'll probably also like this
    mike-2.png?format=jpg&quality=80&width=960&height=540&ratio=16-9&resize=aspectfill

    Kylie Shea is now probably the world's most famous cinematic water-ballerina, and seeing her work with a pro like Tatum rather than a beginner like McElhenney is worth the price of admission. The movie put the importance of its spectacle above story, not unlike a Fast & Furious movie. If you accept that it's primarily about the spectacle, you'll have a good time.

  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I'm like 80% convinced Cocaine Bear is gonna be a Snakes on a Plane situation, but I sure do hope I'm wrong as hell

    It doesn't have a call in where Keri Russell can yell about a motherfucking bear so its starting at a deficit

  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    holy shit

    why did nobody tell me they made modok look like this

    k660jgaipf7b.png


    a bunch of people with immense wealth looked at that and though "yes, this is what should be in a movie"

  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    holy shit

    why did nobody tell me they made modok look like this

    k660jgaipf7b.png


    a bunch of people with immense wealth looked at that and though "yes, this is what should be in a movie"

    To be fair, that's a very accurate depiction(and he looks amazing with the mask, however briefly).

    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Hey, I just saw Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania! Not a great use of my limited time on this Earth!

    Here's the main thing about this movie: it's not good, and it's not even bad in an interesting way. It's mostly a CGI slurry beyond the level of any other MCU movie, and it doesn't have any identity at all. This movie serves no purpose other than to introduce the next big bad of the MCU, which is a mistake because they already introduced him in a very bad TV show. There aren't any fun flourishes like there were in the first two movies, there's an insulting attempt at worldbuilding, and 99% of the action scenes are nonsense that slide right off of your brain.

    Best thing I can say about it is that the cast doesn't embarrass themselves trying to keep it afloat, which had to be a goddamned herculean task given that a good 95% of this movie had to have been filmed in a soundstage with like, solid colored boxes so that they could figure out what the chair looked like six months later.
    MODOK was alright, and the gag where Hank Pym rolls up with a futuristic ant civilization is good

    gotta be the nadir for these movies, I feel at least Eternals made an attempt at something

  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Hey, I just saw Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania! Not a great use of my limited time on this Earth!

    Here's the main thing about this movie: it's not good, and it's not even bad in an interesting way. It's mostly a CGI slurry beyond the level of any other MCU movie, and it doesn't have any identity at all. This movie serves no purpose other than to introduce the next big bad of the MCU, which is a mistake because they already introduced him in a very bad TV show. There aren't any fun flourishes like there were in the first two movies, there's an insulting attempt at worldbuilding, and 99% of the action scenes are nonsense that slide right off of your brain.

    Best thing I can say about it is that the cast doesn't embarrass themselves trying to keep it afloat, which had to be a goddamned herculean task given that a good 95% of this movie had to have been filmed in a soundstage with like, solid colored boxes so that they could figure out what the chair looked like six months later.
    MODOK was alright, and the gag where Hank Pym rolls up with a futuristic ant civilization is good

    gotta be the nadir for these movies, I feel at least Eternals made an attempt at something

    At least Ant Man was entertaining with all the chaos, Eternals literally put me to sleep.

    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    modok's stupid face is like, my personal highlight from that movie. it's extremely stupid

  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    no movie has ever needed Michael Pena as much at this fucking Ant-Man movie did

  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    no movie has ever needed Michael Pena as much at this fucking Ant-Man movie did

    I don’t know how you make an ant-man movie and leave out the best part of the ant-man movies.

    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Modok's face was perfect. Like they could have made it look full CGI but no they hit on exactly the right balance of real human face to look aggressively weird and gross, I loved it.

    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    That Modok is so fucking funny and good that it's gonna be the only part of that movie I look up on YouTube instead of watching the whole thing

    Why should he look anything other than ridiculous and repellant? That's his deal!

  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Modoks shitty cgi was entertaining as opposed to the rest of the movies shitty cgi which was just dull.

    Like, the star wars prequels overreliance on cgi at least had art design they were going for. Most of this movie was "default sci fi background no 6"

  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    MCU's made billions of dollars off screensaver-ass backgrounds already, why change now?

    When will they finally be brave enough to have Howard the Duck fight a flying toaster?

  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Modoks shitty cgi was entertaining as opposed to the rest of the movies shitty cgi which was just dull.

    Like, the star wars prequels overreliance on cgi at least had art design they were going for. Most of this movie was "default sci fi background no 6"

    That's selling the art design a bit short, some of the worlds were really cool looking(and the sheer height of those drops set off my acrophobia). Just... very, very clearly fake and not at all practical.

    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I don't know what the marvel phase system means anymore, but if this was supposed to be course correction (which again I don't know what that means) and launch for phase 5, it sure was a big bunch of nothing.

  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

    modok's not designed to look cool. he's designed, and I cannot stress this enough, only for killing

  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    That fivehead motherfucker ain’t killing anything except maybe a breakfast buffet

    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    the big modok twist in this is that it's the bad guy from the first ant-man movie and everyone who sees him is just like "darren? jesus, dude, what happened?"

    anyways, yeah, modok is probably the best part of the movie, he's very stupid and fun although he shows up and you're like, "ah, man, remember when they had the fight on the toy train set and someone freaked out because they were going to get hit by the train and then they zoomed out and showed what was really happening because they spent longer than three seconds thinking up a joke in that movie"

  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    the big modok twist in this is that it's the bad guy from the first ant-man movie and everyone who sees him is just like "darren? jesus, dude, what happened?"

    anyways, yeah, modok is probably the best part of the movie, he's very stupid and fun although he shows up and you're like, "ah, man, remember when they had the fight on the toy train set and someone freaked out because they were going to get hit by the train and then they zoomed out and showed what was really happening because they spent longer than three seconds thinking up a joke in that movie"

    Well, that's because Edgar Wright's a good writer.
    Imagine if he'd directed it.

    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    the big modok twist in this is that it's the bad guy from the first ant-man movie and everyone who sees him is just like "darren? jesus, dude, what happened?"

    anyways, yeah, modok is probably the best part of the movie, he's very stupid and fun although he shows up and you're like, "ah, man, remember when they had the fight on the toy train set and someone freaked out because they were going to get hit by the train and then they zoomed out and showed what was really happening because they spent longer than three seconds thinking up a joke in that movie"

    Well, that's because Edgar Wright's a good writer.
    Imagine if he'd directed it.

    well I imagine that if he'd directed it at the time, Evangeline Lilly wouldn't have been in it

  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    the big modok twist in this is that it's the bad guy from the first ant-man movie and everyone who sees him is just like "darren? jesus, dude, what happened?"

    anyways, yeah, modok is probably the best part of the movie, he's very stupid and fun although he shows up and you're like, "ah, man, remember when they had the fight on the toy train set and someone freaked out because they were going to get hit by the train and then they zoomed out and showed what was really happening because they spent longer than three seconds thinking up a joke in that movie"

    Well, that's because Edgar Wright's a good writer.
    Imagine if he'd directed it.

    well I imagine that if he'd directed it at the time, Evangeline Lilly wouldn't have been in it

    So a net gain?

  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Yondubwa
    Bloods End wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    the big modok twist in this is that it's the bad guy from the first ant-man movie and everyone who sees him is just like "darren? jesus, dude, what happened?"

    anyways, yeah, modok is probably the best part of the movie, he's very stupid and fun although he shows up and you're like, "ah, man, remember when they had the fight on the toy train set and someone freaked out because they were going to get hit by the train and then they zoomed out and showed what was really happening because they spent longer than three seconds thinking up a joke in that movie"

    Well, that's because Edgar Wright's a good writer.
    Imagine if he'd directed it.

    well I imagine that if he'd directed it at the time, Evangeline Lilly wouldn't have been in it

    So a net gain?

    Let's not get into a situation where we're arguing for circumstances where fewer women got starring roles in a film franchise because one of them turned out to be an anti-vaxxer.

    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Bloods End wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    the big modok twist in this is that it's the bad guy from the first ant-man movie and everyone who sees him is just like "darren? jesus, dude, what happened?"

    anyways, yeah, modok is probably the best part of the movie, he's very stupid and fun although he shows up and you're like, "ah, man, remember when they had the fight on the toy train set and someone freaked out because they were going to get hit by the train and then they zoomed out and showed what was really happening because they spent longer than three seconds thinking up a joke in that movie"

    Well, that's because Edgar Wright's a good writer.
    Imagine if he'd directed it.

    well I imagine that if he'd directed it at the time, Evangeline Lilly wouldn't have been in it

    So a net gain?

    Let's not get into a situation where we're arguing for circumstances where fewer women got starring roles in a film franchise because one of them turned out to be an anti-vaxxer.

    I mean I imagine they just would have gotten a different woman to play the role, rather than like...cutting it out entirely?

    Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Right but the whole thing is that Wright's original script didn't include Hope nearly as much as the final film did, presumably at least partially because he's very bad at writing women

  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    MODOK was very good in the movie, anyone complaining about him has no familiarity with how he's extremely, very stupid in the originals at all times. You'd think people would know that, since they made a whole cartoon about how silly he is, but I guess that proves no one watched it. In terms of the movie... it was unremarkable, but inoffensive. I certainly disliked Eternals more (and some other stuff, but I don't actually have any interest in debating those specific entries with anyone right now).

    My favorite stuff from Ant 3: Ant Smaller:
    -Kang being FULLY in the know about Avengers but just not caring about the details to know whether he's dealt with an Ant-Man specifically before. My wish was actually that this Kang would live through the movie and interpret Ant-Man as one of the stronger and more dangerous Avengers from then on, and NOTHING would shake that impression from him. Big missed opportunity there, imo.
    -Kang in general. Great performance, came off much better than the Loki variant did (although I didn't mind that one either).
    -Nobody taking MODOK seriously and just being more sympathetic/confused as to how things got to this point was very on point for the Ant-Man movies. I like how they treated him like a person (a gross person, but still a person) and he kind of... ran with that in his head and they just didn't have the heart to dissuade him.
    -Chidi was fun and got more significant screen time than the Wasp...
    -Loved the ant rush at the end, felt like when you get bodied in an RTS against a much better opponent.

    And the critiques:
    -Character work was just not there. Rushing through the plotline, Infinity War style, but feeling much less substantial and memorable in the process.
    -I don't have this disdain for the CGI I'm seeing online, but it was VERY dark, could have been kept at more of a neutral light level.
    -Kang comes off too soft in terms of... he's unstoppable until the ending when he lets things get too far. Not very good battlefield commanding from a legendary General/planner. I would have gone for more of a pyrrhic victory, not have the Langs just completely win in every respect. Like maybe Kang's army is scattered across different timelines/universes instead of showing up as a unit.
    -I don't... understand the specific things the Kangs were doing at the end, compared to how good the performance was until that point. They sounded like... soccer hooligans or something?

  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    sure I guess that's a fair enough point

  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The more of them that come out, the deeper I slide into a position of "Eternals was the best post-Endgame MCU movie"

    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Every piece of MCU media post-Endgame has been of equal quality for me because I have watched literally none of it, it is liberating

    Also Endgame was shit but not as shit as Infinity War

  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    the weirdest thing about hardcore MCU fans is how many of them hate Iron Man 3

  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    the weirdest thing about hardcore MCU fans is how many of them hate Iron Man 3

    I like all of the MCU films, some way more than others. I adore Iron Man 3.

    I just don't feel the need to defend them because it's tiring and I'm old and don't have the energy for being angry about movie talk anymore.

    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm kinda bummed out that I don't like MCU movies anymore, and maybe never did

    It was one of the things my brother in law and I bonded over

  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    MODOK was very good in the movie, anyone complaining about him has no familiarity with how he's extremely, very stupid in the originals at all times. You'd think people would know that, since they made a whole cartoon about how silly he is, but I guess that proves no one watched it.

    But you must recognize that something in the MCU adhering to its origins doesn't inherently support anything in an argument that it's good

  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I've not seen Antman 3 yet but regarding the criticism that this phase of Marvel is a bit waffling - it's important to remember that Phase 1 of Marvel basically started off the same way. That said, I'm pretty tired of the formula too. I'm just not willing to bet against them quite yet.

  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    the weirdest thing about hardcore MCU fans is how many of them hate Iron Man 3

    Why do they hate the best MCU movie, though??

    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
This discussion has been closed.