Options

SNUGGLEHUG: The Next Generation (nsf56k)

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    Charles told me to put him in the proper thread

2328dc8kg3i5.jpg

02x3s5zxdif6.jpg

Just exudes dignity and quiet ferocity, one does not say no to such a cat.

He's a dingus.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    nessa also sounds similar to nose in swedish so win win

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Current news on the strays is that they have giardia and are being given Panacur until it's gone, and they hate it (unsurprising).

In cuter news, Tendi loves to snuggle under the towel we put in one of the carriers, and when I come in there I rub her tummy under the towel and she has a grand time kneading on my arm.

cn1ggqzsx7fb.jpg
    7hibmbdfp9ta.jpg
    lyr20s23dcj4.jpg

Also, Mariner has picked a favorite human, and it's Strikor by a mile. This makes Strikor two for two on being the tuxedo cat favorite person, so the data tells me Strikor is the tuxedo cat ideal for all tuxedo cats worldwide. It's science, you can't refute it.

Cambiata on
    Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited December 2022

edit- sound on these two

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    3oxpotwv2tl8.png

I can't believe that one of my own neighbors would put a fancy collar on a cat, and then not feed it even once in its entire life. There are some real sickos out there.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    We had an indoor outdoor car when I was a kid who disappeared for a week and when he finally showed up, a few days later a family from about a block away came by looking for their missing cat. We regretted to inform them that they had been flat out conned.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD THE PUPPER REVEAL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6YeN7W9J3Y

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Some pictures say a thousand words, and some only say one. This one says derp!

7jp022m5jwq6.png

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    flump

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    me starting any new hobby or creative project

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I didn't want these memorial posts to our Sylvester to get lost when the holiday forum goes poof, so just crossposting here, @Athenor told me this was a good thread for it
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Downer post, you've been warned.
    Our little buddy, our precious angel, Sylvester, has crossed the rainbow bridge this morning. He was 23 years old.

I posted the other day about him being lethargic and having a vet appointment set up. We ended up cancelling the appointment because we could tell it was his time and the local vet doesn't do euthanasia, since they're a really small operation, just diagnostics and medication. And he wasn't in any obvious pain or suffering, wasn't crying at all, was still drinking water from a little cup we held for him, just had that look in his eye of being on the threshold and ready to pass through it. For the past 24 hours we loved him and made him as comfortable as we could, and I could tell that he coud tell. We fell asleep cuddling him, and when we woke up in the morning he was stiff. He passed in the bed he slept in every night, surrounded by his most loved ones. If there's a better way to go, I don't know it.

He was the greatest, sweetest, most precious cat I have ever, and will ever know. He screamed at us constantly, but it was always a scream of "GIVE ME CHICKEN" or "HOLD ME LIKE A BABY". He was like a sentient stuffed animal, if either me or my girlfriend were ever in bed, he raced to cuddle up in our arms.

izyun9mz34b8.png
    qiqsnv34nau6.png
    4pkaukuj4j55.png
    e915s1nmwcon.png
    mg6ls0t1al0t.png

Godspeed, little buddy. We will love you forever.
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    My girlfriend is the shutterbug, I don't tend to take a lot of pictures... and I'm glad she is. She's sending me on discord a really good compilation of Sylvester pics I forgot about.
    image.png
    image.png
    image.png
    kqobi0305w3m.png
    mdnx1kl0hqlf.png
    nmo4z8ivg5t6.png

as someone in my wow guild who has a reputation as The Cat Whisperer told us... There is so much love present in these pictures, and both we and him were so lucky to have each other.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Are those videos real? I'd heard (some) dogs and cats are able to understand words and their meanings as commands, but not really understand that they could use them as communication, themselves, so I always assumed those videos were faked.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Are those videos real? I'd heard (some) dogs and cats are able to understand words and their meanings as commands, but not really understand that they could use them as communication, themselves, so I always assumed those videos were faked.

I always can't shake the feeling of the humans being like "I totally understand what you want, but I'm holding out on you till you press the right buttons and pretending I understand you just then for youtube likes"

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options

I believe that there are studies ongoing with many people who own the soundboards where they continuously record and send the videos to scientists.

I would be surprised to learn that no cat could figure out that pressing certain buttons was associated with their owners doing certain actions. Whether they fully understand what the sounds are communicating is a different question, but that's why it's under study. My cats are extremely adept at communicating their needs and at least some of them would have a grand time once they realized they could refine thier requests via buttons.

• Options
    Humans sacrificed a fucking lot evolutionarily to be able to develop functional language, is how I understand it. There's a difference between communication and language, so, yeah, it could more be the animals are associating the sound with an action, and the word itself isn't what's important. It might not even be the sound that matters so much as a learned behavior of that particular button expressing a particular thing.

I'd for sure be interested in seeing what comes of the linguistics and animals studies community poring over that info, though. It could be extremely insightful to human development.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    My understanding of what is meant when scientists say that animals can't understand language is that specifically that complex things like grammar rules are forever beyond them. Associating a sound with an object, however, isn't that hard, even for an animal as low on the intelligence scale as a cat.

I'm sure other cat owners will agree, there are absolutely words our cats know. For example, the cat sitting next to me crying piteously right now, Cora, is waiting to hear me speak the word "cuddles", at which point she'll run to the recliner in the corner of my office and expect me to kneel in front of it and per her and rub her belly. Earlier she got very excited at the words "special treat" and ran to her bowl, in which I put one serving of Tiki Stix. And of course she knows "food" also. There isn't much difference between this and a video that was posted in the holiday Snugglehug thread, of a cat that would run at top speed to the food bowl every time it heard the sound of the automated feeder dispensing food.

Edit: And I just realized right after we finished cuddles, that she some kind of understanding of "All done?", too, because I ask her that when it's clear she no longer wants cuddles and then leave after I've said it.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Yeah my cats know "treat?" As well as "vacuum monster, time to hide".

While they'll probably never be as good as say Alex the parrot, linking a sound to an object or simple action, and even stringing them together to indicate they want those objects and actions is probably not beyond them, even if more abstract symbolism is

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    My cat knows that two heavy pats on the side means "OK, cuddle time over", he knows his name, I'm sure he has a fairly substantial understanding of our communication.

"No" still escapes him, which is weird, because it's a very simple word used in very specific situations, but there you go.

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    cats read body language and are very used to set schedules but they can't recognize words. they can recognize tone tho so all that put together makes cattos seem like they understand words!

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    cats read body language and are very used to set schedules but they can't recognize words. they can recognize tone tho so all that put together makes cattos seem like they understand words!

There are multiple studies indicating that cats not only know their own names and make physical responses when hearing them, they also know other cats names, and will show visible confusion if you call a known cat by the wrong name.

So yeah it's not just tone of voice, they can differentiate complex sounds.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

There are multiple studies indicating that cats not only know their own names and make physical responses when hearing them, they also know other cats names, and will show visible confusion if you call a known cat by the wrong name.

There are multiple studies indicating the opposite as well!

At the end of the day they remain fuzzy mysteries with very smooth brains

• Options

Are you sure there are studies like that? I know there are plenty that show that cats don't have the same level of problem-solving skills that dogs do - literally that don't understand things like physical causality. But not knowing the sounds important for survival? I'd like to see one of those studies, if they're available publicly.

• Options
    Yeah I don't see how being able to distinguish the sound for their name or food about to be dropped in their bowl or the can opener being on it any different from being able to recognize the sound of of a predator or running water or whatever. It's not language but it's not useless.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I know my dogs can understand a word because it's a specific word they've been taught, and intonation doesn't change their understanding of it. When Holly does an accidental peepee on the carpet, I tell her fairly sternly to "go outside" because I don't want her stepping in it and dragging it around the house. But also, when we're playing, I can say "go outside" in a much more cheerful tone and she still gets it. There are in-between tones, as well, and I've basically excluded every variable but the words.

Clifford doesn't give a gaf though.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Cats are in a unique linguistic space where they can't talk but they can definitely cuss.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

Are you sure there are studies like that? I know there are plenty that show that cats don't have the same level of problem-solving skills that dogs do - literally that don't understand things like physical causality. But not knowing the sounds important for survival? I'd like to see one of those studies, if they're available publicly.

i don't think recognizing their name counts as important for survival. they can absolutely recognize sounds but not names if that makes sense. the stuff i've read said basically they recognize a raised tone and eye contact and my cats absolutely do that. i can call them anything and do and as long as i'm making cuddle voice and eye contact they react the same

but admittedly this is stuff i read over 20 years ago

• Options
    I know my dogs can understand a word because it's a specific word they've been taught, and intonation doesn't change their understanding of it. When Holly does an accidental peepee on the carpet, I tell her fairly sternly to "go outside" because I don't want her stepping in it and dragging it around the house. But also, when we're playing, I can say "go outside" in a much more cheerful tone and she still gets it. There are in-between tones, as well, and I've basically excluded every variable but the words.

Clifford doesn't give a gaf though.

dogs deffo have more wrinkly brains and also i don't have any so i'm full up prepared to believe they can understand words.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    There's a bit of a more recent paper on dogs and language here:

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/news/how-much-language-do-dogs-really-understand/

The border collie I used as my avatar ended up having a several hundred word vocabulary. He knew left/right, near/far, closer, further, and a whole host of other words. Part of it was because when he was little everyone in our family ended up using slightly different words when giving him commands (heel vs "walk with me" vs "walk close" vs " on my left"), but part of it was that we also didn't baby talk with him and continued to make an effort to teach him new words. As the article notes, understanding of language is going to vary, but for the border collie in question he was able to handle fairly advanced relationships like "on Jay's left", "on Scott's right", etc.

He also tended to do a lot of vocalizations "wowowowo" sounds that people unfamiliar with him might mistake for growls, but were very different. He had distinct vocalizations that he used in different circumstances. He could also follow eye/head gestures, for example when it was time to leave the park after a play we just had to call his name to get his attention and then glance in the direction of the way we normally exited the park. If we glanced at the longer route, he'd know to use that route. If we glanced towards the direction of one of his friends' houses then he'd head off in that direction. This wasn't too surprising given that border collies are bred for being able to read these types of hand/body gestures, but it always seemed to surprise people.

My parent's current dog, a 3/4 border collie & 1/4 catahoula leopard dog is similar, though not with as large of a vocabulary and not as strong of an understanding in relative positioning/directions. She also likes to communicate and will do a wide range of quiet barks (not growl vocalizations) that she uses with us. Different barks have different meanings.

In both the cases, the vocalizations and quiet barks seem like private languages between the dogs and their humans and not something that they use with other dogs or often with other people.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Cats might be in question but dogs absolutely 100% can learn a lot of words. It's very obvious with herding dogs for example.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I once had a cat who knew his name but would always come running when I called the other cat because he wanted to see what he might miss out on.