Options

SNUGGLEHUG: The Next Generation (nsf56k)

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    We have a cat knows his name, and acts like one of the dogs. If we call him, he'll often come. But also we can say sit and he'll sit. Because he knows a treat is coming. Like pineapple.

... one of the dogs.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    cats read body language and are very used to set schedules but they can't recognize words. they can recognize tone tho so all that put together makes cattos seem like they understand words!

There are multiple studies indicating that cats not only know their own names and make physical responses when hearing them, they also know other cats names, and will show visible confusion if you call a known cat by the wrong name.

So yeah it's not just tone of voice, they can differentiate complex sounds.

There are multiple studies indicating the opposite as well!

At the end of the day they remain fuzzy mysteries with very smooth brains

Are you sure there are studies like that? I know there are plenty that show that cats don't have the same level of problem-solving skills that dogs do - literally that don't understand things like physical causality. But not knowing the sounds important for survival? I'd like to see one of those studies, if they're available publicly.

i don't think recognizing their name counts as important for survival. they can absolutely recognize sounds but not names if that makes sense. the stuff i've read said basically they recognize a raised tone and eye contact and my cats absolutely do that. i can call them anything and do and as long as i'm making cuddle voice and eye contact they react the same

but admittedly this is stuff i read over 20 years ago

Being able to differentiate, and memorize, one sound from a completely different sound is the survival trait I was referring to. Cats certainly have a range of intelligence, so I could understand saying some cats aren't sophisticated enough to memorize important sounds, but I think if most cats couldn't do that they wouldn't be such prolific survivors.

There's also the fact that I say the words "cuddles", "special treat" "silly girl" "beautiful precious kitten" in the same tone of voice, but my cats take a different meaning from all of those. No cat runs to the food bowl when I call them a "silly baby." And when it comes to the phrases "beautiful" and "precious" and "pretty," if Cora hears me say that to one of our fosters she gets instantly jealous, and if Cassandra hears me say it to Cora she gets instantly jealous. I'm not suggesting that either cat knows what "beautiful" means, but they do know it's a positive word that mommy says that should only ever be applied to them, regardless of meaning.

I feel like studies into animal behavior have advanced by a lot in my lifetime, so if you read a study 20 years ago I would expect they are probably no longer applicable. Aside from things like the domesticated silver fox breeding program, and other similarly groundbreaking work.

Cambiata on
    Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Like pineapple.

wtf

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Technics SL-1200 turntable? That cat is a DJ my friends.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Like pineapple.

wtf

So, I have a history of chasing cats away from the dinner table by offering them food they don't like. A little squirt of orange or lemon usually does it.

I didn't have that one time and figured, hey, pineapple is citrus, I'm sure he'll hate it!

Nope, fucker scarfed it up and demanded more.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    My mom is going under for surgery in about an hour and a half please send cute pictures of your pets.

I will rate them on a scale of 10-10 in adorability

Uriel on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My mom is going under for surgery in about an hour and a half please send cute pictures of your pets.

Stanley wants to know if you're going to finish that

iXeGnprl.jpg

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options

Stanley wants to know if you're going to finish that

iXeGnprl.jpg

a clear 10

Would let him have a bite

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Also I know nobody here really knows my mom, but if anyone wants to send my mom well wishes I can print off and give to her after she leaves the ICU to a regular room I am sure she would very much appreciate them. I will watch my PM box if you want to do that.

Meanwhile I gotta focus on stuff, so more pet photos please.

Maybe later I'll bust out my tablet and try sketching of a few of the cuddly fluffers.

Edit: if your want to send a message for my mom her name is Cindy or you can just say Uriel's Mom she'll know what you mean.

Uriel on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Rolle when he discovered me packing for my trip to a magic convention. I kept telling him it was supposed to be a hat and a rabbit.

z5im8rebbq1q.png

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    10 points, that's a black cat I would like to cross paths with

• Options
    My mom actually started her surgery at 10am

Please send more cuddly pictures

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Here have a picture of some Canada geese before they learn to be awful.

kzebhfifadjg.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Everything went well apparently

They moved her back to ICU and probably will keep her asleep until 8 or 9pm but she made it

I can breath a little

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Cora, showing her characteristic pout:
    xdcgui9iv4u6.jpg

Her Majesty, queen Mariner, demanding more pets:
    7m28fuqqt9i3.jpg

Tendi trying to find out what's going on:
    bvvt8zuoaiax.jpg

Sten, trying to kill with a glare:
    gl3urr14pkmt.jpg

Alistair enjoying one of the many mid-air beds in this house;
    t2sb3khd7o7t.jpg

Garak, stealing a chair for pets:
    bsrockfq6ena.jpg

Cassandra, enjoying daddy hugs:
    5gdf29o9hznb.jpg

Runty, exploring the wall bed:
    1pzyq5d2wfg7.jpg

Cambiata on
  • Options
    OMG SO MANY PYOODS

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I made this and put it on shirts as one of the Christmas presents for my wife and kids:

trh9wyr21y4l.png

Dragon is nothing if not distinguished.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I have a bad habit of checking the local cat rescue website a couple times a week - I don't really have room or budget for a third cat but I can't help myself.

Anyway, yesterday they had a new member named Short Stack who 1) was either a munchkin or had dwarfism, 2) had a hilariously small and serious mouth, 3) looked to be some kind of Siamese/gray stripe mix, and 4) had freaking BLUE/GREEN heterochromia! AHHHH!

I reloaded the page ~15 minutes later and he was already gone. Not surprising, and probably better that the temptation has been removed. (I would share pics but the URL seems to have fully disappeared.)

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    We have a potential adopter coming to see Mariner tomorrow! Woo hoo!

• Options
    Mariner got adopted, I'm so happy! She really didn't like having so many roommates, she'll be so much happier as the star cat in the household.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Me: "I'll just get a quick updated Tendi picture for the adoption website."
    l8716bfuibus.png

Yeah ok maybe we'll try this again later.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Nah that's perfect. It's an action cam shot!

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

nope nope nope nope

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    We are dogsitting my mother-in-law's two which is mostly okay, but is has created a problem I refer to as "and where do the humans sleep?"
    e6bnngh192h3.jpeg

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    In the dog beds, clearly.

• Options
    You get them all off the bed, get yourself in, and let them snuggle up.

Your partner? Huh... There's a perfectly good couch.

• Options
    You get them all off the bed, get yourself in, and let them snuggle up.

Your partner? Huh... There's a perfectly good couch.

couches are for guests with important titles

the bathtub and a rug is all you'll get

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Ours is the bigger dog

https://youtu.be/ORselizE5GQ

• Options
  • Options
    i believe i have finally found my favorite ever internet video. it makes me cry laughing every. dang. time.

i present to you my ultimate snugglehug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKEtLmmr8vU

• Options
    it's the 10 minutes on repeat that gives me the laugh shakes

• Options
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    So my sibling has a particular cat. Hates being held, never jumps up on to laps for snuggling, but still loves being petted. It's the weirdest thing; she'll walk up to someone sitting in a chair, meow at them as if to say "it is petting time now, human," and you just hang your hand off the side. She'll then walk back and forth under your hand a few times, then wander off to do something else.

It's funny because the other cat in the house loves snuggles and will happily join someone on the couch just to chill out.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    I made this and put it on shirts as one of the Christmas presents for my wife and kids:

trh9wyr21y4l.png

Dragon is nothing if not distinguished.

is your dragon also named after a reference to the rats of nihm?

• Options
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

this is legit my reaction when my back/shoulder/neck/knee finally stops giving me shit after a week and a half of pain so I can fully relate