Options

SNUGGLEHUG: The Next Generation (nsf56k)

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    Denada wrote: »
    I made this and put it on shirts as one of the Christmas presents for my wife and kids:

trh9wyr21y4l.png

Dragon is nothing if not distinguished.

is your dragon also named after a reference to the rats of nihm?

Yup! That was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I'm happy to say though that my Dragon is much more doofus than villain.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    And here I thought your name just meant "it was nothing".

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    And here I thought your name just meant "it was nothing".

Oh that is what my name means. Funny (to me) story, it came from WAY back when I first started playing WoW (before there were any expansions). I picked warrior for my first character and hated it, then decided to roll a mage and named her Denada as kind of a pun, like "this alt is nothing". Ended up loving my mage and she became my main, and then her name became my name everywhere that it wasn't already taken. I stopped playing WoW right around when WotLK came out, but the name lives on.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
  • Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    my dragon was also not a villain. just a big floofy sweetheart that would probably have been more afraid of rats than they were of her if she ever saw one. everyone was very confused why she was named dragon.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Another orange's never ending search for the braincell.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Another orange's never ending search for the braincell.

It's not his turn.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    That orange has some Buttered Jorts energy.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Maybe that cat is just having a little fun

• Options
    Judging by the music, kitty is training.

Smarter than Rocky, too. The training is way easier if you're going down the stairs.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    non snugglehug
    Dinner has had some lower back an hip problems for a while now, a year or two. Noticed it when he began missing the litterbox because he wasn't fully squatting down, and it was getting on the floor.
    A jumbo sized litterbox and meloxicam helped with that such that it only happened maybe once a month most times.

But I noticed the other day that seemed he was losing weight, and scheduled an appointment the vet, but a couple hours after scheduling it, saw he'd missed the box again, only this time it was red tinged. Got bumped up into a canceled slot that same afternoon and took him in. They did blood work and his kidneys are in very bad shape. Vet estimates less than 10% function based on the numbers. Some of maybe be due to the long term use of the meloxicam, which has now been discontinued, some of probably just age. He'll be 17 this summer. His kidney numbers weren't great at his last checkup, and he's had thyroid trouble for a year or two beyond that.

It's now at the point where I have to decide what to do. The vet says IV fluid injections can help. But it'd have to be twice weekly, and I don't relish taking him to the vet that often because it's stressful for him. And it's something that can technically be done at home, but I don't want to do it badly, or have him stop trusting me because now I'm the needle guy. There's also a monthly injection of a new monoclonal antibody that's supposed to be very effective for cats with back and hip problems, and much safer than meloxicam, but it unfortunately didn't exist back when this all started.

I just don't know what to do. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, still affectionate, just much lower energy than normal. We found and adopted him just a couple months after I graduated college, so he's been with me basically my entire adult life, and I'm just struggling to find what the right balance is between doing too much and not enough.
    Cat tax
    k92mmbikeo8x.jpg

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Thanks for sharing, Tofys. It's a hard choice and unenviable position to be in.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I recently noticed that my long-haired kitty isn't great at cleaning her butt and has been getting some matting in the area, so I'm taking her to get it cleaned up and clipped tonight. Hopefully she gets better with upkeep as she gets older, but I guess it's not a big deal to just take her in and get her trimmed every once in a while to avoid it. I feel like her having one bum leg that she can't really move very well probably has a lot to do with it, unfortunately.

Will pay the picture tax as soon as I remember to actually get a shot when there's decent natural lighting (my living room is basically lit like a cave at night)

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Nice beaver:

MODS

• Options

• Options
    Awwww what a good land seal.

You couldn't do any of the food tricks with ours. She was damn near starved to death and try as we might, she has no chill with food.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Omigosh, I saw the cat and the dog actually getting along today!

kobbfmnzyb1q.jpg

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    They’re planning something

• Options
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I see stuff like that and immediately go "Hmm, is there a card in Wingspan for that?"

He/Him | "We who believe in freedom cannot rest." - Dr. Johnetta Cole, 7/22/2024
  • Options
    Non-snugglehug
    Today I said goodbye to my buddy, Dinner.
    Dinner had been with me since I graduated college in the summer of 2006, so functionally, my entire adult life.
    My sister's ex husband found him in a bush while out on a bike ride, a tiny kitten, too young to be away from its mother, but no mother in sight.
    He brought him back to the house in Newton where we both lived that summer, and for some reason lost to mists of time, or maybe there never was one, named him Dinner.
    As a recent college graduate with no job, I of course said that there was no way I could care for a kitten, and we'd drop him off at a shelter.
    Just as soon as I'd taken him to the vet.
    Just to make sure he was healthy.
    About halfway through that checkup, I realized that this was definitely already my cat.

Dinner was one of the sweetest cats I've ever known. He'd wait for me to get home from work, then follow me around until my lap was available.
    He loved to sleep next to me in bed, and on my lap when I was playing video games or watching TV.
    Or under the quilt on the couch as I read.
    He could also be an absolute butthead at times. I remember him sitting in my lap as I ate mini wheats and him knocking them off my spoon as I raised it into my mouth and back into the bowl, thus potentially tainting the whole thing.
    When my friend Ben lived with us for a summer, he liked to wake him up in the morning by laying down on his chest.
    If he took offense to being shut out of my bedroom (or got lonely. Or hungry. Or bored.) he'd bang on the sliding door that bedroom had, making a godawful racket which carried through the whole house.
    When he was a moody teenager and I was out all day, he had a habit of getting up on the back of the couch and peeling wallpaper with his teeth.
    Nobody ever forgot his name once meeting him, and the receptionists at the vets' would always laugh about "making an appointment for Dinner".
    When both he and Facebook were in their youth he had his own profile (eventually deleted by the admins for being """not a real person""") and a fan page.

That first fall, when I was the only person living in that too-big house, living truly on my own for the first time in my life, Dinner was there.
    When I got a job that winter, working 12 hour shifts in MacPherson, so I had to be up before 5 to get to work by 6, and home after 7 PM, and I never saw the sun on days I worked, Dinner was there.
    When I got married he was there, and when I got divorced he was there. In all the best and worsts parts of my life he was around, my loving teddy bear of a cat.

On that very first vet visit, the vet told me that he had a heart murmur.
    It could be nothing, or it could suddenly get worse and be life threatening. Knowing that, his whole life, I tried to prepare myself for this loss, but last week after a vet visit to look into his weight loss and red tinged urine, he told me that his kidney's were largely nonfunctional.
    Age was surely a factor, as well as long term use of meloxicam to ease his back and hip pain. Suddenly it became very real and I realized I wasn't prepared at all.
    The best treatment he could suggest would involve multiple IV injections a week, and maybe give him a couple months. We did one injection of fluids on Friday, to ease his dehydration so he could be more comfortable over the weekend.
    Saturday and Sunday were mostly the same as the days before, with him being lethargic, and not as affectionate as normal. But today was a good day. Early this morning around 4 he came to bed and let me pet him, and then began lickign my arm as he often did whenever I was trying to sleep and he wasn't done cuddling.
    He asked to be let under the covers, which he almost never did, and stayed there with me for 15 minutes. This morning, we sat on the couch for a while as I watched TV.
    He did a tour of his favorite spots, the permanent divot he'd worn into the back of the couch (the divot is a metaphor), the sunbeam that comes in the patio door in the late morning, the heated cat bed he got for Christmas a few years ago, the other cat bed I got the next year so they'd both have a bed available, the dryer which I'd forgotten to close.
    And then we sat on the couch again for another hour as I read, and petted him.
    And waited out the clock.
    For the last 20 minutes before it was time to leave for the appointment I just picked him up and carried him around the apartment.
    Every day I had with him was a blessing. Any more time would not be enough.
    Long time readers of the snugglehug thread will probably recognize many of these pictures. Spoilered for vscroll
    nykhtl1qdv9j.jpg
    8y8uf2q7dz8o.jpg
    ahsve76mtjed.jpg
    kf0df9z0ky38.jpg
    45nmfxf79l6r.jpg
    e57xfynoz53i.jpg
    xtrsi80g7wko.jpg

kt7rducfq8y9.jpg

4q502e0nv7ea.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    :bro:

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dinner was a good kitty :( I'm sorry for your loss.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular
    I recently got my first dog! Her name is Helga and she loves sleeping but is sceptical of going outside if the sun isn't shining. It's very scary being a pet parent but mostly smiles and laughs so far.
    pr0m0y7yefrt.jpg
    qwcw1yrwrqsc.jpg

• Options
    I loved telling people about Dinner, such a fuzzily smooshem

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    My girlfriend's cats seem to kinda love me but I think its entirely conditional. I mostly have a big lap and I tend to sit down and not move a lot.

enky1o2uq28x.jpg

Anyway I had things to do today but I guess I'm actually going to sit here and develop lower back pain instead.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    looka dat round child

• Options
    Richard wrote: »
    I recently got my first dog! Her name is Helga and she loves sleeping but is sceptical of going outside if the sun isn't shining. It's very scary being a pet parent but mostly smiles and laughs so far.
    pr0m0y7yefrt.jpg
    qwcw1yrwrqsc.jpg

Helga is dangerously adorable.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I loved telling people about Dinner, such a fuzzily smooshem

Please enjoy some pictures of my other smooshem, Elevenses.
    vosszbgdbhls.jpgp9vt5r8a70bs.jpg
    lwc8lackx8ad.jpg
    v01ipbskoh6h.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh wow, the second pic, must smoosh the cheeks!

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    A dispatch from the cat sitter:
    5j2re86yc22w.jpeg

• Options
    Oh wow, the second pic, must smoosh the cheeks!

I smooshed the cheeks. She said 'mrp'.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Elevenses is quite a cutey and has a wonderful color scheme.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Ahh I love me a long-haired calico. My first cat as a kid was a calico named Fuzzy and she was the sweetest, most patient cat I've ever met. So cute!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Feral Senior Cat Becomes A Total Mama's Boy [3:35]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCupXEP-4LI

sig.gif
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Oh no my face got all wet.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Another dispatch from the cat sitter:
    huzh92favuah.jpeg