As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] The War Within Announced!

• Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    If WoW were free to play, maybe not as big a deal, but that isn't the case.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    And you know this probably results in shittier looking in-game stuff.

Like, "No don't include that one in the base game. It looks too cool. We can charge extra for it."

• Options
    Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    You are both not wrong of course. But I found the WoW store quite unoffensive compared to other games.

The "But we pay a sub" complaint is totally valid though. At least we got the trading Post now.

Not too pissed off at that part of the game. What pisses me is off that they are draggin their feet to make BfA ( and maybe SL) Legacy Raids that you can easily farm for transmogs.

Drunken Bastard on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    The thing about it is that I might've even sprung for it.

I might be willing to pay five bucks for a cool transmog.

But twenty? That's more than a month of game time.

RT800 on
  • Options
    I will add that with the introduction of WoW Tokens the game can currently be free to play if you're able to continuously make at least 150,000g/month*.

Also, I'm not really upset that there are transmog sets in the shop. I just think their pricing models for shop items are whack. $20 for some virtual clothes. Make it $5 champs. Overall profit from that item will probably be the same over time. $20 for mounts is also a lot, I think. I think $10 is more reasonable.

*I'm kind of eyeball averaging pricing here. I think they're currently around 130k

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Just straight up fuck all of these forever
    bhjh1kg076n9.png

Most of these you get for "free" for subscribing for 6 months at a time (the cheapest per month option anyway). You only have to buy them outright if you were subbing with gold or choose to only sub one or three months at a time (the more expensive springs options).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    RT800 wrote: »
    The thing about it is that I might've even sprung for it.

I might be willing to pay five bucks for a cool transmog.

But twenty? That's more than a month of game time.

Become a goblin and make mad money on the AH :)

Being serious, that train has passed, but in the fist 5ish weeks I made a Million just gathering. Helps if you have a lot of boring meetings in the Homeoffice...

Drunken Bastard on
  • Options
    Yeah, I started DF with about 75k gold on my main. I am now sitting at 1.2m, with an overall 1.6m across characters on Dark Iron. I might switch over to WoW Tokens.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Yeah I also came in almost flat broke.

I'm now sitting at 2 Tokens I bought when the price was low (220K-ish EU...I hate your US cheap tokens!) and about 700k cash.

Spent like 100k on stuff like crafts etc.

Drunken Bastard on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Grouped with a mage in LFG today rockin' a badass lookin' transmog called "Celestial Observers Ensemble"

And I was like, "I need this for my mage" so I look in the appearance tab to see where it drops.

But it's a store-only transmog. I didn't know they'd started doing that.

That's pretty shitty.

But I was like, "Well if it's reasonable maybe I'll buy it anyway."

But they want twenty dollars for a fucking transmog?

Eat shit, Blizzard.
    In Hearthstone they charge $25 for a single card with a bit of 3D animation.

• Options
    If you're going to buy WoW tokens, this is probably the time to do it. Historically they trend up over the course of an expansion and seem to be around the lowest they're going to get as of the last month or so.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Yeah, I went ahead and bought 3 of them. Most commodities (like crafting mats) are selling low right now except for ore so I've been spending time farming and made a good amount of money lately.

Beyond Normal on
  • Options
    Alrighty then, WoW time via tokens is bought up until June. I should still be interested in playing then.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Heroic lightning chicken get. Fun fight!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    y'know, it's not a bad thing to have fun, RP-only features, but gosh it's still wild that there are all these neat cosmetic options for the humanform evoker that you'll only see if you're RP realm taverncrafting. i just wanna run around with some cool spikes on my head man!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Because I had so much fun with my Draenei Shaman (up to 69 right now), I rolled a Tauren Shaman on my brothers server, so that at some point I can play with him.

Anyways, naturally I chose BfA for leveling and enjoying Zulduzar immensely. I am up to lvl 35 now and the War Campaign started. Taking Tiragarde Sound first, I am dressed as a pirate for this mission.

zjzqcb2mau88.png

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Finished the Traveler's Log, didn't get my mount. Apparently that's a known issue. It's supposed to spawn inside the chest at the Trader's Post, but my chest isn't clickable.

So I'm just screwed for now I guess.

I know things are different between PTR and Live, and I know they can't account for the sheer amount of players hammering the servers on PTR like they can on live. But this is the flagship feature of 10.0.5. How do you launch in a state where the monthly prize doesn't properly spawn?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    y'know, it's not a bad thing to have fun, RP-only features, but gosh it's still wild that there are all these neat cosmetic options for the humanform evoker that you'll only see if you're RP realm taverncrafting. i just wanna run around with some cool spikes on my head man!

Do you have to be in dragon form for all combat? I thought the Worgen could swap back and forth at will at least.

And I also didn't get my mount from the chest, put in a ticket...so maybe I'll hear back in about a week.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Finished the Traveler's Log, didn't get my mount. Apparently that's a known issue. It's supposed to spawn inside the chest at the Trader's Post, but my chest isn't clickable.

So I'm just screwed for now I guess.

I know things are different between PTR and Live, and I know they can't account for the sheer amount of players hammering the servers on PTR like they can on live. But this is the flagship feature of 10.0.5. How do you launch in a state where the monthly prize doesn't properly spawn?

I've been having with certain trading post tasks tracking properly. As in, I've earned like 80k from auctions since it rolled out and its only tracked 500/5,000g

• Options
    Reynolds wrote: »

Do you have to be in dragon form for all combat? I thought the Worgen could swap back and forth at will at least.

And I also didn't get my mount from the chest, put in a ticket...so maybe I'll hear back in about a week.

neither worgen nor dracthyr can be human form in combat

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Is it a bug or a feature that mage's invisibility spells are unusable at an elemental storm location?

'cause both greater AND lesser invisibility just greyed out and became unusable, but only in the storm area.

Does this extend to rogue's vanish and hunter's feign death?

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Well this "The Storm's Fury" thing seems buggy as fuck.

forty on
  • Options
    I ran it for the first time this afternoon. Did not encounter any bugs, but I thought it was super boring.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

neither worgen nor dracthyr can be human form in combat

That's dumb, this game is dumb.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I ran it for the first time this afternoon. Did not encounter any bugs, but I thought it was super boring.
    It's super boring AND buggy! Had to go through like 3 cycles because the whole thing just sort of... reset after disabling the last portal without us being able to kill the boss. The cold mechanic just seems like a pointless chore to make you buy some item.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I think for the first time in 18 years of WoW (which I haven't played all the way through - had an 8 year hiatus between WoD and Dragonflight), I have a second char on max level. A Draenei Enhancement Shaman.

s0h97ganitm1.jpg

Feels kinda weird.

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    It's super boring AND buggy! Had to go through like 3 cycles because the whole thing just sort of... reset after disabling the last portal without us being able to kill the boss. The cold mechanic just seems like a pointless chore to make you buy some item.

I figured out yesterday that you can mount up on your dragon mount and fly upward and into the middle of the map to drop your cold stacks.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I wonder how far they can push new cosmetic options for characters.

Isn't this actually the first flail weapon since... ever?

RT800 on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think the Paladin mage tower appearance is a flail and that’s part of why people were so bummed they didn’t bring back the old cosmetics.

• Options
    It's probably a huge part of why the trading post debuted with a flail

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the mage tower flail is super badly animated in comparison to the ones they've done more recently, which is annoying

the newer ones actually kinda seem like chains, the mage tower model has like, one joint

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    This is why limited time items and removal of content is such a terrible idea.

Legion was only 3 expansions ago, and is the beginning of modern WoW. But there are cosmetics (mage tower artifact appearances) that are no longer available in the game. There are entire new generations of WoW players who never even had a chance to earn them.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    You can earn it from the mage tower right now.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    You can earn it from the mage tower right now.

Incorrect. The Mage Tower appearances are not in the Mage Tower anymore. Now they reward a recolour of the Mythic Tomb set.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Yup. All of the original Mage Tower artifact appearances from Legion are gone.

The current Mage Tower that exists right now rewards recolors. They're cool and most of them do look good. But there's an entire set of weapon appearances that are gone forever. That includes the original Flail mounts from the paladin artifact.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    The unique bear form was also part of that, until they seemed to realize how psychotic it was to remove a completely new unique druid form.

Does the modern one unlock the ability to earn the alternative colors or is it it's own thing.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    It has one colour scheme

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I'm kind of irritated that I have to do the Mage Tower AGAIN to get the flying Tome mount.

I don't even remember the mechanics in some of those fights.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    It has one colour scheme

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow