As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

White Fragility in action: the Elon Musk story

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Surely it's good and normal for twitter embeds to take 30 seconds to load

surely

How long until they stop loading entirely? >:)

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Not soon enough

OrcaReynoldsRingoDarmakToxCaptain InertiaDouglasDangerFencingsaxSleepRanlinLabel
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Blocked twitter embeds on the forums on my pc and phone. Helps with the janky scroll back especially on mobile when a page has tons of twitter links. And if it's something worth looking based on context or username I can just open the link in a private tab.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    In 2020 Left 4 Dead 2 added a lot of previously unused contextual dialog, including Rochelle lamenting she couldn't tweet about the zombies.

Gonna be weird hearing that in five years.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Surely it's good and normal for twitter embeds to take 30 seconds to load

surely

How long until they stop loading entirely? >:)

It's been like that for me for ages. I'm constantly getting pages full of broken tweet embeds.

SolarHadesDouglasDangerGvzbgulElldren
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    You've got to hand it to Elon.

He really digs deep in his ability to just fuck things up.

Ticaldfjamvalhalla130Bucketman
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    I'm mostly worried about Twitter getting hacked now. Considering all the staff they've lost, security must be looser than ever, and it would only take one good attack with a browser or app zero-day to hit an unimaginable number of targets. Honestly considering adding twitter to my hosts block file preemptively.

We'll get back there someday.
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    This whole fiasco is like the boat getting stuck in the canal but then they started air-lifting boats as a solution.

And then a boat fell and landed on the first boat.

CelloArdol
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    While other sites have faded and kept going, they didn’t kind of implode over such a short time frame the way Twitter has. With such a public facing figure doing the damage

It’s been like a three week reveal of the homer car

OrcaBucketman
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Homer stopped designing it at some point. This would be like if he kept adding or removing things as the thing was driving, which... oh yeah the latest Tesla recall...

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Elon Musk's financial solvency
    This whole fiasco is like the boat getting stuck in the canal but then they started air-lifting boats as a solution.

And then a boat fell and landed on the first boat.

https://youtu.be/-hyttagGsz0

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    BlackDragon480PaperLuigi44sarukunAlexandierTicaldfjamSorceDiarmuidShadowfireDoctor DetroitshoeboxjeddyKristmas KthulhuPeen3cl1ps3EtiowsaHacksawRingoGoose!TankHammerElldrenBucketmanTofystedeth
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Britain's current PM, whoever that is

This stupid little baby boy who got his head stuck in the bannister and can't get it out

Does this mean Elon is now in free-use for the step-family mode?

Funny you should ask that about a Musk…

SorceBlackDragon480Doctor DetroitKristmas Kthulhu
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

pinterest is worse than twitter and facebook combined, if only for fucking up my google searches

KadithDiarmuidHybridTheySlashThemhonovereOrcaNeveronOdinBroloTomantaJayKaosFencingsaxGilgaronGnizmoMegaMan001Captain InertiaSporkAndrewnever dieCouscousCurly_BraceSolarBloodsheeddjmitchellaph blakeSiliconStewKristmas KthulhuDarkPrimusvalhalla130NarbusTNTrooperPeewiArdoltynicKevin Cristmatthias00Jedocpooka3cl1ps3SirToastyBahamutZEROMatevMillNiryaSleepReynoldsCrippl3Commander ZoomHacksawCarpyRingoTefMortal SkyDee KaeUsagiDyvim TvarsarukunLucedesOlivawGoose!TankHammerVegemyteElldrenBucketmanTofystedeth
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It ruins GIS so much if you're not explicitly excluding it

OrcaBroloFencingsaxStraightziCaptain InertiaGilgaronTheySlashThemCouscousRhesus PositiveShadowfireOneAngryPossumDarkPrimusvalhalla130EinzelTNTroopertynicJedocpooka3cl1ps3MatevReynoldsCommander ZoomHacksawRingoDee KaesarukunOlivawTankHammerVegemyteElldrenBucketmanTofystedeth
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce

all the why Elon Musk bought Twitter theories are overthinking it.

it’s simple.

Musk is in a right wing filter bubble. he bought Twitter believing their problems were real & that others felt the same

this is what happens when you have a lot of money & live in fantasy land

just look at Elon Musk’s private texts that were released

this isn’t some strategic genius move

it’s a bunch of out-of-touch weirdos angry at “woke culture” and thinking the rest of the world shares their bizarre fixations on this stuff

Elon Musk recently deleted a tweet claiming Twitter was the largest driver of traffic in the internet

this is nowhere near true!

why did he believe this? because his right wing bubble is obsessed with this platform. he believed it’s outsized importance because of them.

Elon Musk has regularly replied to complaints from right wingers on Twitter since taking over

who else receives this kind of attention from him

he’s surrounded himself with this stuff. it’s all he sees on his feeds

Elon Musk’s $8 plan for a verified badge is obviously about money

but why did he think there was a market for this?

because right wingers on here are obsessed with the blue check!

in reality, only around 150,000 signed up for Musk’s plan so far & many of them are right wingers

Garlic BreadInquisitorKalTorakSorceFencingsaxminor incidentBlackDragon480Flying CouchDoctor DetroitGilgaronJohnny ChopsockyCantidenever dieBeef AvengerAegisShadowfireshoeboxjeddydestroyah87OneAngryPossumSolarGimKristmas KthulhuDarkPrimusvalhalla130Munkus BeaverTNTrooperArdoltynicPeen3cl1ps3BahamutZEROFishmanMillNiryaSleepCommander ZoomHacksawRingoPaperLuigi44Mortal SkyDyvim TvarsarukunEtheaVegemyteLabelElldrenBucketman
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Not soon enough

That's not soon enough!

Doctor DetroitadytumCommander ZoomRingoBucketman
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Maybe something good will come from this shit show?

But I won't hold my breath.

BroloDoctor DetroitCantidenever dieBeef AvengerUbikadytumminor incidentRhesus PositiveShadowfireJohnny ChopsockyshoeboxjeddyOneAngryPossumMechMantisBloodsheedKetBraSassorimrpakuZonugalKristmas KthulhuDarkPrimusOrcavalhalla130Munkus BeaverTNTrooperFrylockHolmesArdoltynicJedocKetarPeen3cl1ps3WhelkEtiowsaMatevMillKwoaruNiryaGvzbgulSleepReynoldsCrippl3Commander ZoommiscellaneousinsanityHacksawLokarnRingoPaperLuigi44TefMortal SkysponoNothingUsagiEmperorSethsarukunOlivawFencingsaxTankHammerDonnictonVegemyteLabelElldrenBucketman
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Diarmuid wrote: »

This actively makes me mad. Insulin has been gouged for fucking years and we’ve had god damn congressional hearings about it

shoeboxjeddyBloodsheedThe Zombie PenguinmcpZonugalKristmas KthulhuOrcavalhalla130Munkus BeaverTNTrooperArdoltynic3cl1ps3WhelkBahamutZEROMatevSleepReynoldsMysstsilence1186HacksawLokarnRingoMortal SkyHadesUsagiEmperorSethsarukunOlivawEtheaFencingsaxTankHammerDonnictonVegemyteLabelElldrenBucketman
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »

This actively makes me mad. Insulin has been gouged for fucking years and we’ve had god damn congressional hearings about it

Enough people are aware of it now that they have to look like they're being proactive about it, until people forget again.

Special KDoctor DetroitKristmas KthulhuOrcavalhalla130Munkus Beaver3cl1ps3WhelkCommander ZoomOptyRingoMortal SkyRanlinFencingsaxDonnictonElldrenBucketman
  • OdinOdin Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    never die wrote: »

Turns out all it took was a verified shitpost

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    This feels like such a perfect textbook example of why protest must be disruptive.

Quire.jpg
    TheySlashThemBlackDragon480DiarmuidGarlic BreadOdinKalTorakminor incidentRhesus PositiveShadowfireToxnever dieshoeboxjeddyOneAngryPossumBloodsheedKetBraThe Zombie PenguinSassorimcpmrpakuUndead ScottsmanCantideKristmas KthulhuDarkPrimusSporkAndrewNeveronvalhalla130Endless_SerpentsNarbusMunkus BeaverTNTrooperArdoltynicKevin Cristmatthias00JedocKetarPeen3cl1ps3WhelkSirToastyBahamutZEROEtiowsaMatevMillNiryaSleepCommander ZoomKraintmiscellaneousinsanityOptyCarpyHacksawLokarnRingoCormacTefMortal SkysponoDee KaeHadesUsagiDyvim TvarsarukunLucedesOlivawTankHammerDonnictonVegemyteLabelV1mElldrenBucketmanTofystedethbalerbower
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Eight former SpaceX employees who were fired after circulating an internal letter criticizing Elon Musk have filed charges claiming they were unlawfully fired.

god I hope everyone just keeps piling on until this fucker can't breathe anymore

SorceadytumBlackDragon480OdinDiarmuidAlexandierShadowfireToxnever dieJohnny ChopsockyTheySlashThemshoeboxjeddyChallBloodsheedKetBraSassorimrpakuUndead ScottsmanGimCantideKristmas KthulhuDarkPrimusNeveronOrcavalhalla130EinzelMunkus BeaverTNTrooperFrylockHolmesArdoltynicPeen3cl1ps3WhelkMillNiryaSleepReynoldsCommander ZoommiscellaneousinsanityTicaldfjamCarpyLokarnRingoCormacUbiksponoHacksawNothingUsagiEmperorSethDyvim TvarsarukunLucedesOlivawFencingsaxTankHammerDonnictonVegemyteLabelElldrenBucketmanTofystedethKane Red Robe
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    The criticism was about the company covering for his sexual assaults fyi

Just in case you were distracted and were temporarily forgetful of his “private jet masseuse” and “having kids with subordinates” “perks”

Captain Inertia on
    BlackDragon480Odinminor incidentRhesus Positivenever dieTheySlashThemOneAngryPossumKetBraSassoriKristmas Kthulhuvalhalla130Munkus BeaverTNTrooperArdoltynic3cl1ps3BahamutZEROMatevCrippl3Commander ZoomTicaldfjamHacksawHadesDyvim TvarsarukunOlivawFencingsaxTankHammerVegemyteLabelElldren
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Just in case you were distracted and were temporarily forgetful of his “private jet masseuse” and “having kids with subordinates” “perks”

Nono that was the Democrats' dedication to spreading hatred. He said so himself!

Captain Inertia
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    This feels like such a perfect textbook example of why protest must be disruptive.

Well it was super great in that it fucked with the stock price. The only way you change things is by fucking with rich peoples money.

Not my Tempo
    BlackDragon480SorceDouglasDangervalhalla130BahamutZEROMatevCommander ZoomMysstTicaldfjamsarukunLucedesOlivawFencingsaxBucketman
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

ah so that's why he keeps saying "hardcore"

Captain Inertia
  • ChallChall Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Eight former SpaceX employees who were fired after circulating an internal letter criticizing Elon Musk have filed charges claiming they were unlawfully fired.

god I hope everyone just keeps piling on until this fucker can't breathe anymore

For someone who can't get off Twitter, he sure has no idea what it means to be the main character huh?

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular

This thread made me realize Twitter failing in certain ways can and will expose people to real harm: harassment, leaked private info, arrests, and more.

BahamutZEROSleepsarukunBucketman
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited November 2022

A fun part about the "having kids with subordinates" part that a lot of people don't realize is that it was via in vitro fertilization

just to make things extra... strange. He really walks the walk with his spreading his superior white genes fetish

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

This thread made me realize Twitter failing in certain ways can and will expose people to real harm: harassment, leaked private info, arrests, and more.

Yeah as much fun as all this is from the outside, if anyone has any private or financial info in any way on Twitter's servers, it should be cleared ASAP, and/or steps should be taken to mitigate risk if it gets out (because deleting a private DM won't do much good if someone accidentally rolls back to a backup from before you deleted it)

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    OneAngryPossum
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    A head of lettuce
    Huh, embedded tweets are now totally failing to load on mobile for me.

Not slow, just failing to load at all.

Inquisitor on
  • LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    The other day my partner found a bird watching site/app where people just post all the different birds they see and where.

Like for example someone posted a wood duck they saw in their local park.

So that's where we'll be once Twitter crashes.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
    SassoriArdoltynicpookaMatevDyvim TvarsarukunLabelBucketman
  • GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Hard Drive recommended the comments section of this post as the new Twitter
    https://hard-drive.net/everyone-please-use-the-comment-section-of-this-article-as-the-new-twitter/

Beef Avengerminor incidentCaptain InertiaTomantaKristmas KthulhuDoctor DetroitTynnanArteenTNTrooperZekJedoc3cl1ps3ToxNeveronWhelkSirToastyFlying CouchShadowfireMatevmrpakuNiryaSleepStraightziadytumDiarmuidCommander ZoomTicaldfjammiscellaneousinsanityMrMonroePaperLuigi44ZonugalSassoriHacksawVeagleRhesus PositiveRingoTefDyvim TvarThe Zombie PenguinsarukunOlivawFencingsaxDonnictonVegemyteTofystedethBucketman
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Huh, embedded tweets are now totally failing to load on mobile for me.

Not slow, just failing to load at all.

They've been incredibly slow for me since yesterday, too. Desktop seems fine, though.

Please quote / summarize tweets so we don't just have pages of blank posts in a day or two when nothing on Twitter works.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    yeah I'm switching over to screenshotting tweets because embedding is getting rough. maybe with the original tweet in a spoiler tag so people can go back to the source

Reminder for folks on desktop that it's pretty easy to do, just Win+Shift+S keys to bring up the snipping tool, image will go straight to your clipboard, then Ctrl+V into your post text and it will automatically host it and give you [img] tags

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    Bedigunz
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

For someone who can't get off Twitter, he sure has no idea what it means to be the main character huh?
    He wants to be the main character.

sig.gif
    Special KmrpakuCommander Zoom
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

Yeah as much fun as all this is from the outside, if anyone has any private or financial info in any way on Twitter's servers, it should be cleared ASAP, and/or steps should be taken to mitigate risk if it gets out (because deleting a private DM won't do much good if someone accidentally rolls back to a backup from before you deleted it)

I deleted my account a week or so ago because I assume literally everything is going to wind up in the wrong hands eventually.

I did foolishly think that the 30-day window to reactivate would pass and give me greater reassurance my data was gone-ish before everything collapsed though.

BahamutZERO
This discussion has been closed.