As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

White Fragility in action: the Elon Musk story

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    "Most salient? Okay, well here's the 10 include.library statements that go into everything, because if they're not there everything else throws up in its own mouth."

Narbus on
    durandal4532Commander ZoommcptynicCarpyRhesus PositiveShadowfireTofystedethElldrenBucketman
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Britain's current PM, whoever that is
    Anyway, he very well may have been programming a web site in 1997 but what the fuck does that mean in 2022

durandal4532mcpFencingsaxBucketman
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Anyway, he very well may have been programming a web site in 1997 but what the fuck does that mean in 2022

it means welcome to geocities.twitter.com

Captain Inertiadurandal4532Commander ZoomtynicGimMatevMortal SkyShadowfireLucedesFencingsaxDonnictonVegemyteTofystedethBucketman
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Elon Musk's financial solvency
    Couscous wrote: »
    NEW: Email from Elon to the engineering team: "Anyone who can actually write software, please report to the 10th floor at 2pm today. Before doing so, please email me a bullet point summary of what your code commits have achieved in the past 6 months" 1/

Elon Musk is also asking for up 10 screenshots of the "most salient lines of code" from Twitter engineers 2/

Again, no context as to what this is about. We know Twitter's engineering teams have been gutted by layoffs and resignations. What's next?

Yesterday, Twitter told employees the offices were closed and badge access was suspended until Monday. Employees are extremely confused.
    Hahahaha. This is still so hilarious

"most salient lines of code" is definitely peak "I know nothing about programming but want to pretend I do"

This one seems fake unless the the ENTIRE 10th floor is like... an office or a massive conference room or something?

There's a chance this is a canary trap - Musk's trying to find whoever's still leaking to the press by sending out different details to different people and seeing which ones reach the media. You may ask "Oh come on, who'd be that petty, paranoid and pathetic at this stage?", to which the answer is "Elon Musk, and we know because he's done it before."

Unfortunately the person responsible for tracking which trap emails went to which people has also resigned.

minor incidentOdinArdolFencingsax
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAU1l7iEpoU

This history of Elon Musk is tough to untangle, Musk has gone to great effort to rewrite his past in service of his cult of personality.

This video does a good job of going through it, right up to this current moment.

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited November 2022

New verified account symbol is a dancing baby.

Hearts are replaced with 3 frames of a flaming skull that runs for two loops before becoming a red X.

OneAngryPossum on
    Crippl3Kristmas KthulhuGimMatevDarkPrimusRhesus PositiveMegaMan001ShadowfireFlying CouchDonnictonTofystedethElldrenKane Red RobeBucketman
  • OdinOdin Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce

Obviously computer nerds spend all day punching lines of code into their machines like in the movies

It's just science

Captain Inertia
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Britain's current PM, whoever that is
    You know programming? Prove it, send me your coolest codes.

3cl1ps3ProlegomenaRMS OceanicCrippl3JedocCommander ZoomtynicKristmas KthulhuKadithDarkPrimusHacksawVeldrinShadowfireSorceFencingsaxDonnictonBucketman
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    True story: the most salient lines of code I wrote in the last 6 months was deleting 7 lines of code and replacing them with the code comment
    // Removed [data function] owing to potential confidential privacy breach scenario.

Fortunately I don't work for Elongated Muskrat or am even a dev any more.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    durandal4532MechMantisCommander ZoomtynicArdolHacksawMegaMan001UsagiDonnictonvalhalla130BlackDragon480ElldrenBucketman
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Wait. I thought they locked up the office cause Elon thought all his employees were gonna sabotage Twitter on the way out.

Did they change the lock down order? How are people getting to this 10th floor? Did they leave a window open and there's a really big ladder outside the building they have to climb?

FFXIV: Agran Trask
    BahamutZEROKristmas KthulhuBlackDragon480Kane Red RobeBucketman
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Wait. I thought they locked up the office cause Elon thought all his employees were gonna sabotage Twitter on the way out.

Did they change the lock down order? How are people getting to this 10th floor? Did they leave a window open and there's a really big ladder outside the building they have to climb?

If you're not a good enough engineer to hack your way past security then you're not hardcore enough to stay

Steam ID
    OdinNarbusGimKristmas KthulhuMatevArdolFlying CouchDonnictonvalhalla130Bucketman
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »

NEW: In an email for remote Twitter engineers, Elon Musk says he wants to speak to people on video ("only those who cannot physically get to Twitter HQ are excused") but "if possible, I would encourage you to fly to SF to present in person." He'll be at the office until midnight.

I am having a difficult time believing this is real and I am looking at the emails.

I have no idea what's real anymore

durandal4532shoeboxjeddyMechMantisDoctor DetroitCouscousH0b0man3cl1ps3NeveronCentipede DamascusCommander ZoomGSMOrcaCantideMunkus BeaverGimMagellTNTrooperPeenAlexandierKetarMatevArdolNiryaOghulkSassoriUbikThegreatcowHacksawJragghensponoShadowfireDyvim TvarFlying CouchOlivawFencingsaxDonnictonVegemytevalhalla130LabelBlackDragon480ElldrenBucketman
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Just totally divorced from reality.

Getting a flight to SF the Friday before thanksgiving is a thing everyone can just afford to do.

Sleep on
    BahamutZEROdurandal4532Doctor DetroitCouscousH0b0man3cl1ps3OrcaKristmas KthulhuTNTrooperpookaMatevSolarArdolCurly_BraceOghulkSassoriUbikToxVeagleJragghenShadowfireFencingsaxDonnictonvalhalla130TofystedethElldrenBucketman
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    A head of lettuce
    My god, how deep does this hole go?

No one on this planet is going to rush to an airport to fly out and present 10 lines of code to someone who will at best fire you and at worst make you work 80 hours a week at a failing company.

At least not without a 7 figure transfer into their bank account first.

Edit: like, at this point my brain can't even consider that email as being real.

Tomanta on
    DouglasDangershoeboxjeddyDoctor DetroitCouscousCommander ZoomOrcaArdolvalhalla130TofystedethElldrenBucketman
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

No one on this planet is going to rush to an airport to fly out and present 10 lines of code to someone who will at best fire you and at worst make you work 80 hours a week at a failing company.

Sounds like you're not hardcore to work for Elon, scrub

Doctor DetroitSpecial KCommander ZoomOrcaCantideKristmas KthulhujkylefultonArdolSassoriHacksawV1mBucketman
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Fly to SF by the end of today. Who the fuck would do this?

I feel so bad for the folks on H1B visas trapped in this. It's just insultingly ridiculous. Like I've worked for some people who had no idea what the fuck they were doing but they at least generally just sat around and raked in the cash. This is a mind-boggling level of micromanagement that I haven't seen at like... 5-person companies.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    OneAngryPossumTynnanBahamutZEROshoeboxjeddyCouscousdestroyah87JedocOrcatynicPeenKetarMatevpookaArdolUbikThegreatcowHacksawJragghenDyvim TvarEtheaCellovalhalla130LabelElldrenBucketman
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    i7jea5tr4ec9.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
    Styrofoam SammichSirToastyTynnanOrcaMunkus BeaverMagellSolarSassoriHacksawShadowfireDyvim TvarLucedesOlivawVegemyteBlackDragon480Bucketman
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    By everyone I just mean one specific person

JtgVX0H.png
    Styrofoam SammichTynnanOrcajkylefultonBloodsheedMatevArdolSassoriDarkPrimusHacksawShadowfireEmperorSethVegemytevalhalla130Bucketman
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Tomanta wrote: »

Sounds like you're not hardcore to work for Elon, scrub

Oh, I'm definitely not hardcore enough to work for Elon. I'm lazy and not into cults.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Yeah I bet a good chunk of the remaining employees are trapped there by their work visas :(

BahamutZERO.gif
    durandal4532OdinOrcaKristmas KthulhuUsagiCelloTankHammerBucketman
    Steam ID
    durandal4532
  • OdinOdin Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    A head of lettuce
    I wonder who will decide what constitutes hate speech

Odin on
    durandal4532Doctor DetroitCrippl3Neveronminor incidentMunkus BeavertynicKristmas KthulhuPaperLuigi44MatevArdolOghulkSassoriMortal SkyDarkPrimusThegreatcowHacksawSleepJragghenShadowfireDyvim TvarOlivawSorceVegemytevalhalla130LabelGnizmoTofystedeth
    I'm sure elon will have the new code for that banged out over the weekend

BahamutZERO.gif
    durandal4532destroyah87shoeboxjeddyTynnan3cl1ps3Crippl3CantideMunkus BeaverKristmas KthulhumiscellaneousinsanityArdolNiryaMortal SkySleepShadowfireDyvim TvarOlivawSorceVegemytevalhalla130Tofystedeth
  • neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    And i assume it'll work flawlessly with zero human moderation required too, right elon! haha

Couscousdurandal4532Odindestroyah87shoeboxjeddy3cl1ps3NeveronTynnanCommander ZoomCantideMunkus BeaverArdolMortal SkyJragghenRhesus PositiveShadowfireDyvim TvarOlivawvalhalla130Tofystedeth
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Being demonetized does not hurt those accounts and the algorithm doesn't help when a ton of people don't use it and will just use screenshots, retweets, etc. to people who don't use the algorithmic timeline or get around the algorithm deboosting them

destroyah87Doctor DetroitCrippl3Beef AvengerGimArdolRhesus Positiveproxy_hue
    I can almost guarantee that "JK Rowling is a terf who hates trans people" will probably be considered negative by them or whatever garbage algorithm they use

adytumdestroyah87LadaiKristmas KthulhuRhesus PositiveThe Zombie Penguinproxy_huevalhalla130BlackDragon480GnizmoElldrenKane Red RobeBucketman
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Hard Drive recommended the comments section of this post as the new Twitter
    https://hard-drive.net/everyone-please-use-the-comment-section-of-this-article-as-the-new-twitter/

god this rocks lmao

6izyoy6.png
    w4MwOC0.png
    FvnjvrL.png
    loXxsMX.png

OdinArteenBeef AvengerReynoldsStyrofoam SammichMunkus BeavertynicSolarMatevDarkPrimusThegreatcowHacksawZonugalVeaglesponoShadowfireDyvim TvarFlying CouchLucedesOlivawDonnictonEinzelVegemyteLabelTofystedethElldrenBucketman
    edited November 2022
    Thinking that advertisers will be appeased by not being next to the specific tweets shows a total misunderstanding on how this stuff spreads. Even if you shadowban some wack shit it will still spread by quote tweets and screenshots, and allowing the original to stand serves as an indirect soft endorsement

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    Doctor DetroitThegreatcowvalhalla130
    Actually, how is this meaningfully different from shadowbanning?

Gvzbgul
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Haha what an entitled messiah complex having fuck

minor incidentArdolvalhalla130
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    A head of lettuce

it is not different

Jasconius on
    OdinOneAngryPossumElldrenBucketman
  • JimBobtheMonkeyJimBobtheMonkey Registered User regular
    How many of Musk's tweets are going to get "deboosted"

I am pretty sure he is brainstorming on his twitter, hoping someone who still works for him will see it and magically make it happen by being hardcore, he has no real tangible plan to do anything. He thinks that's what management means.

BahamutZERO.gif
    durandal4532valhalla130

It’s not other than being incredibly more labor intensive because it’s shadow banning specific tweets and not the poster

Steam ID
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    How many of Musk's tweets are going to get "deboosted"

im sure we know the answer but worth an annoying note that ever since he bought the company he's shown up in my "who to follow" list for absolutely no reason at all

tiny baby man needs friends

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Now to find the hardcorest content moderator in the world to read every tweet and mark it as acceptable or not for a modest salary and minimal benefits. We'll just need need like 2 people right? So one can cover when the other is out. Maybe one part timer.

BahamutZEROdurandal4532valhalla130Bucketman
    Am hearing that Twitter’s acting CISO is no longer at the company. He had stepped into the role after the previous CISO resigned last week before having to deliver Twitter’s latest compliance notice to the FTC.
    So there is no way they aren't going to do shit that puts them in noncompliance, right?

BahamutZERO3cl1ps3durandal4532Johnny ChopsockyKristmas KthulhuArdolSassoriThegreatcowHacksawShadowfireDonnictonvalhalla130LabelElldrenBucketman
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Now to find the hardcorest content moderator in the world to read every tweet and mark it as acceptable or not for a modest salary and minimal benefits. We'll just need need like 2 people right? So one can cover when the other is out. Maybe one part timer.

See, this is exactly the kinds of redundancies we're trying to avoid. Why have an extra one to cover when you can just make sure the first one never takes time off?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    Doctor Detroit
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Am hearing that Twitter’s acting CISO is no longer at the company. He had stepped into the role after the previous CISO resigned last week before having to deliver Twitter’s latest compliance notice to the FTC.
    So there is no way they aren't going to do shit that puts them in noncompliance, right?

Anybody at the company who might get moved into this role wants zero part with getting in the FTCs sights when they come calling about consent order violations.

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
    OrcaKane Red Robe
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Being demonetized does not hurt those accounts and the algorithm doesn't help when a ton of people don't use it and will just use screenshots, retweets, etc. to people who don't use the algorithmic timeline or get around the algorithm deboosting them

Does Elon musk know that twitter doesn't pay people to tweet? You cannot "demonitize" a twitter account?

OptyDoctor DetroitLucedesBucketman
This discussion has been closed.