As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

White Fragility in action: the Elon Musk story

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    Kind of weird that he doesn’t have an elevated price tier if you do it through the Android app, since Google also takes a cut, just like Apple.

Wait... he doesn't know, is that it? Good lord.

It's more likely that he's just not thinking about it because who would even use Android and also it's not as clear and obvious of a target as Apple

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    KalTorak wrote: »
    good thing Trump wasn't interested in coming back to Twitter; his Qanon conspiracy rants might have conflicted with Musk's Qanon conspiracy rants.

Honestly I think Trump made a sensible choice not to get himself connected with this shitnado

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    That felt a bit odd to type, can anyone recommend a good keyboard?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    He's got an imaginary doctorate from Yale so he's naturally repelled by imaginary apples.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Reminder this feature was going to cost $20/month before Stephen King-sempai passed comment on it.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

I know its important to get one with all the keys on it

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    V1m wrote: »

I know its important to get one with all the keys on it

I actually really like 60% keyboards.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Blue tick is just a verified phone number hey?

How hard is it to fake a phone number?

SO easy

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Oh my god is it ever easy to spoof a phone number

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    As promised, cat tax:
    1vh9t69u4neu.jpg

tw5300xfjl9o.jpg

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Ethea wrote: »
    IIRC Jack still owns a lot of Twitter's stock, probably isn't thrilled about Elon's management, the hit job, or the fact that his stock value is plummeting.

Jack owns nothing of Twitter. The purchase required Elon ( and backers ) to buy all stocks. Twitter isn’t on the stock market anymore as it is privately owned now.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/01/tech/twitter-jack-dorsey-elon-musk/index.html
    Dorsey rolled over his more than 18 million shares in Twitter (a roughly 2.4% stake) into the new Musk-owned company as an equity investor, rather than receiving a cash payout, according to a Thursday securities filing.

Why the fuck didn't he just take the money and run? Talk about a dumbass move.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Ethea wrote: »
    IIRC Jack still owns a lot of Twitter's stock, probably isn't thrilled about Elon's management, the hit job, or the fact that his stock value is plummeting.

Jack owns nothing of Twitter. The purchase required Elon ( and backers ) to buy all stocks. Twitter isn’t on the stock market anymore as it is privately owned now.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/01/tech/twitter-jack-dorsey-elon-musk/index.html
    Dorsey rolled over his more than 18 million shares in Twitter (a roughly 2.4% stake) into the new Musk-owned company as an equity investor, rather than receiving a cash payout, according to a Thursday securities filing.

Why the fuck didn't he just take the money and run? Talk about a dumbass move.
    jack dorsey you are a credulous moron

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Most divorced pets who are CEO of a social media company thread, here is one of my friends who was hiding all day Friday and no one could find today despite ripping the fucking house apart and I was sick to my stomach about who appeared like a goddamn hallucination in the tub while i was crying but was real:
    e7xcgbmwqp21.jpg

the jerkoff in the background who found a hiding spot that ripping the entire house/closets/cabinets/shelves out did not reveal.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Jack Dorsey has said before that he doesn't want twitter owned by a company and wants all its assets to be open source, so I could kind of understand "trusting" Elon Musk to fail so hard that Twitter becomes freeware

That doesn't mesh with trusting his business acumen on anything else unless the billion dollar investment gives you a large enough stake to be able to steal it from him while he's distracted

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    hey so the guy elon is now throwing under the bus very publicly, yoel roth recently former head of trust and safety, is jewish and queer

wonder why elon might be associating him with pedophilia and shadowy political cabals

can't think of a single reason

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Elon Musk's financial solvency
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    hey so the guy elon is now throwing under the bus very publicly, yoel roth recently former head of trust and safety, is jewish and queer

wonder why elon might be associating him with pedophilia and shadowy political cabals

can't think of a single reason

Really might be a case for defamation if it keeps happening. Dudes not a public figure

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Twitter
    one of my kitties got out of the apartment in the rain last night, didn't realize it until I noticed they weren't around. after a frantic couple of minutes tearing the place apart, I went outside and heard some pathetic meowing, found her huddled in the entryway of my neighbor's door.

boy that feeling of thinking you've lost a pet really sucks!

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    one of my kitties got out of the apartment in the rain last night, didn't realize it until I noticed they weren't around. after a frantic couple of minutes tearing the place apart, I went outside and heard some pathetic meowing, found her huddled in the entryway of my neighbor's door.

boy that feeling of thinking you've lost a pet really sucks!

I am invoking the recovered kitten tax. I must see this happy safe and warm kitty.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Twitter
    She's currently tucked away sleeping under my bed, but I'll get a pic at my earliest convenience!

• Options
    All of my ridiculous cats are safe and warm and indoors only. The defiant little one is our kitten: Harvey Dent. We named her that because she has two faces, natch.

z1zbplcpndik.jpg

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Her red and black fur ear colors are opposite to my girl's!
    dynl4vgzak0w.jpg
    This is an old photo, bc now that she's awake, she ran off when she saw me with the camera app open.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    All of my ridiculous cats are safe and warm and indoors only. The defiant little one is our kitten: Harvey Dent. We named her that because she has two faces, natch.

[img]ht tps://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/s6/z1zbplcpndik.jpg[/img]

Every time I see a picture like this, I hate being allergic to cats even more.
    Like, my eyes are itching just looking at the picture, but I still want to play with your cats.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    see317 wrote: »

Like, my eyes are itching just looking at the picture, but I still want to play with your cats.

Time to get a Shiba Inu!

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Worst part for them is that they just have me and my fiancee to play with, despite being very playful and sociable. Two of them even fetch and return toys! They're utterly unafraid of humans and long for constant companionship, but yours truly doesn't have a Work From Home job. Poor things have to entertain themselves or fight with each other instead of day-long playtime sessions. 😭

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Siberians are apparently hypoallergenic
    spoilered for nerdery:
    Supposedly the main pet allergen is pet dander. BUT! If you find you're exclusively allergic to cats, the more likely allergen is something else - cat saliva. Most cats have a particular protein or something in their saliva that folks can be allergic to. Siberians iirc are the only breed that does not carry the gene for that protein at all, though I'd wager there's been some selective breeding in other breeds to try to replicate that

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I'm fairly sure Dorsey burnt his brain out on hallucinogens in the desert

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Alexandier wrote: »
    Most divorced pets who are CEO of a social media company thread, here is one of my friends who was hiding all day Friday and no one could find today despite ripping the fucking house apart and I was sick to my stomach about who appeared like a goddamn hallucination in the tub while i was crying but was real:
    e7xcgbmwqp21.jpg

the jerkoff in the background who found a hiding spot that ripping the entire house/closets/cabinets/shelves out did not reveal.

My cat did this when we were getting ready for a wedding. We went to check on her before we left and couldn't find her. Tore the house apart, opened cans of food, drove up and down the street. Even saw a cat that looked identical to her down the street and I jumped out of the car in full suit to grab her before realizing it was a different cat and several people stared at me.

We found her under a dresser that we didn't know had a gap in the back that she could get under. We figured out that she was hiding because she thought we were going on a trip and would be taking her with us. We didn't realize how much she hated it so now we just leave her at home and have someone come over to feed her.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Warning: Elon Musk tweet, do not open without appropriate safety equipment.
    Ever since he wrote that he wasn't conventionally left wing or right wing, he sure has gone out of his way to show himself being just the most stereotypical right wing douche.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Elon Musk coming in with the hot 2021 zingers about 14 months behind everybody else.

Can't wait for him to get real into fidget spinners.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2022
    i just think it'd be cool if he could cease living somehow before he does more harm to this world

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    oh snap almost to a hundred pages maybe then we can get a thread title that doesn't invoke the world's most notorious transphobe

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Someone mentioned a Firefox plugin to allow you to read Twitter without an account... It was like Twit or something? What was it?

• Options
    halkun wrote: »
    Someone mentioned a Firefox plugin to allow you to read Twitter without an account... It was like Twit or something? What was it?

was it this https://nitter.net/about

(that name makes me uncomfortable)

• Options
    Mercutio87Mercutio87 So build that wall and build it strong cause We'll be there before too longRegistered User regular
    halkun wrote: »

I’ve had a few days last week where I wasn’t asked to log in at all. Then when the log in prompt did come back, I realized I can just click log in and X the window to keep scrolling.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    NYT literally had an article up yesterday arguing he wasn't just a piece of shit right winger

Couscous on
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    NYT literally had an article up yesterday arguing he wasn't just a piece of shit right winger

that adds up, the nyt also likes to say they aren't pro fascism

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Twitter’s character limit will be raised from 280 to 4000 characters

That is a really bad decision

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Twitter’s character limit will be raised from 280 to 4000 characters

That is a really bad decision

Musk doesn't understand that the limits of the platform are what make it unique. That what can be considered a weakness is also a strength.

If he just turns it into Facebook-lite people are going to go fuck off elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.