As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My unread posts keep getting cleared

mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
Sometimes, when I access the forums, all the posts will be marked as "read" even though I definitely haven't read all of them.

(And no, I'm not clicking "mark all topics read")

mrflippy on

• Options
    AbarameAbarame Registered User regular
    edited December 2004
    This was in an earlier topic. It may be due to your clock set up, it may also have to do with you clearing your temporary files.

Abarame on
    Its good to give-Humane Society
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2004
    Do you visit the Chat Forum?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited December 2004
    Do you save your login info to "login automatically"?

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2004
    It's probably due to the fact that the session on both sides dies when you first switch between chat and on topic....

THIS IS A SUBTLE HINT TO FIX THIS ISSUE ALPHA

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2004
    He already said it won't happen until the upgrade, cut him some slack.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2004
    This bug is as old as phpBB itself, it happens on other phpBB-based forums I go to aswell

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2004
    The Cat wrote:

I have seen no comment to that effect. Last I heard it was just that there were no new features till the upgrade.

This is actually a fairly major bug, asside from the irritation caused, it means that many / most people have two entries in the session table, which has always been prone to running out of space.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    edited December 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    The Cat wrote:

I have seen no comment to that effect. Last I heard it was just that there were no new features till the upgrade.

This is actually a fairly major bug, asside from the irritation caused, it means that many / most people have two entries in the session table, which has always been prone to running out of space.
    The Cat is correct. I am not going to fix this bug. It annoys the hell out of me, but I have way too much to do right now. I dont even know where to begin, Ramius did the original split of the forums, and to be honest, I have no idea exactly where he split the two, which files are different, what constants are different, etc. There are two session tables now so each user has two separate sessions, and we haven't had either table fill up in months. Especially not H&R. I'd like to fix it, but of all my concerns right now, this is a minimal one.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2004
    Alpha, are you sure this isn't due to the fact that you're passing the wrong SID when you move between the on-topic and chat forums? It seems to me that that'd be the first place to start.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited December 2004
    Alpha, are you sure this isn't due to the fact that you're passing the wrong SID when you move between the on-topic and chat forums? It seems to me that that'd be the first place to start.
    You are missing the point. It is not a lack of being able to troubleshoot, it is a lack of time. I am working on a lot of things right now, a replacement MySQL server is one of them. The forums not passing session ids correctly is a much lower priority than the entire site being non-functional on MWF. There are two more things at work here, the first reason I can not talk about until after the new year, the second reason is my finals are this week (and last week was my final lectures and projects).

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited December 2004
    Hopefully this info will help you when you have time to look into it:

-I have not been manually clearing any temp files.
    -I rarely visit H&R, and the problem happens much more frequently than I visit there.
    -I do have it set to login automatically.
    -I visit the forums at work and at home. It occurred to me that this might be causing something, but the issue seems to happen while I'm at work or home, not right after I switch computers.
    -This could be simple coincidence, but it seems to happen more frequently when the site/forums are slow.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited December 2004
    I would be willing to bet it is the session_start call that needs to be altered. The fact that I can have concurrent sessions on both sides indicates that the cookies are only being set for /forum and /chatforum rather than for /

but you know, if you don't have time to fix it

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    edited December 2004
    Bear in mind that the read unread status is lost at the start of each session, that is.

If you browse the forums, then go away for 20 minuites and come back you will have lost all your statuses. This is the expected behaviour.

If you are loosing the status while you are actually browsing then there is an issue

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    edited December 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    Bear in mind that the read unread status is lost at the start of each session, that is.

This may be it. I'll keep my eye open.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited December 2004
    Cocks, dicks

There, you just got anything and everything from the Chat Block. Don't need to go anymore. I look forward to a unified code basin again.

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2004
    Ok, unless Firefox is screwing with my session, unread posts are being marked as read in the same session. Is there some kind of reload counter? I was reloading D&D to check for new posts. The first few times it was ok, then, after one of them, all the threads were marked as read. (I hadn't read them all) I didn't close the browser, delete any files, or mess with any settings.

mrflippy on