As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Support your local [Job] thread

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    I’ve been told not to dwell on who made what mistakes and to think about how I give feedback to the people making the same mistakes over and over again.

But what they really want to say to me is can’t you just quietly fix everything and I don’t have to acknowledge that I don’t think you should be rewarded for doing someone else’s work?

There's something to be said for not being a dick about mistakes being made and working to make a better ecosystem (not saying you're doing that)....but if you've attempted to teach them multiple times and they still fuck up, that's when the manager needs to put on their big person pants and start talking to those employees about acceptable levels of performance. Many managers are unwilling to do the actual job, which is mostly things like that.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Literally spent the entire workday hunting down a problem, and showing the new coworker the steps I was doing to explore the problem. Nothing was working.

I had reached the point of giving up, and started putting in the ticket to the vendor. Naturally my process with this is to lay out everything I had tried, which triggers my mind to remember if I missed anything.

... and I had. I suddenly had a *headdesk* moment when I realized I had NOT done something this month that I had in the past.

I fucking hate SELinux. It was causing our mail sending ability to break, so I set it to permissive after every restart. Well, I fixed that problem this last month, so I didn't touch SELinux this last reboot. And of course it broke something else.

All good now, the university will continue to pay its bills unabated.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Lol they pushed an update out today and it looks like it bricked two of our consoles that we use for product traceability because they did not take into account that some of us might still be using Windows XP.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    God damn this glitchy printing software, I accidentally printed out three times more lost dog posters than the patron can afford.

Well, we've got no use for them, so I suppose they might as well haul off the extras for us.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Today my employer changed our PTO plan.

Starting next year, all leave goes into one pool (no vaca/sick split), and the rate goes down 0.2h/period, and we lose our free "floating holiday". Further, all existing sick on 1/1/23 gets converted to the new pool at a rate of 3:1.

So I took a call I'd been putting off and will probably be going somewhere else.

One of the docs they sent out said "finalized 5/1/22". Wonder why they waited so long? Huh? Why would that be? Such mystery.

Edit: for clarity, this is going from the "everything rolls over and you can do a buy back in Q4 if you have a lot you won't use." So, big change. Some people have weeks of sick saved up.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    the world may never know

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Edit: misread.

Uhhh, anyways, fuck corporations

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Docshifty wrote: »
    .2 hours a week is

Uhh

Holy shit that is bad.

The rate is dropping by that, after I did the math I was at 3.25h combined accrual. After it'll be 3h flat. And it's pay period, so ~6h a month.

Edit: still bad, they have an awful system of starting you with shit and trying to get you to stay 10 years to get a good rate.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Work is doing a push on our KPIs for the last few periods of the year.

One of them is positive customer surveys.

They are offering a 25 dollar gift card per positive survey that mentions you by name. Uncapped.

The parts I oversee are now being looked at very critically because we have received 50+ named positive surveys in three days.

Listen if you're going to offer an incentive don't get mad when people take advantage of it.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    I’ve been told not to dwell on who made what mistakes and to think about how I give feedback to the people making the same mistakes over and over again.

But what they really want to say to me is can’t you just quietly fix everything and I don’t have to acknowledge that I don’t think you should be rewarded for doing someone else’s work?

There's something to be said for not being a dick about mistakes being made and working to make a better ecosystem (not saying you're doing that)....but if you've attempted to teach them multiple times and they still fuck up, that's when the manager needs to put on their big person pants and start talking to those employees about acceptable levels of performance. Many managers are unwilling to do the actual job, which is mostly things like that.

In a previous job I supervised under/grad students, I was a TA for an undergrad course for a semester.

I’ve literally never put in so much time training two people how to do their job. One of them is just actively conning people into doing her work for her and the other immediately lies and says he was never trained that way (but only if the person training him isn’t within earshot.)

I’ve made checklists. Process maps. Desk references. Sat with them at their desk and walked them through it. Let them watch me do it. Offered to spot check their work before they submit it if they didn’t want me over their shoulder. Sent reminders if they “forgot” they were responsible for something.

And tell them in advance if I’m going to be out of the office in case they want to go over anything before I’m unavailable.

I’ve never had to babysit to this extent before and I was still asked “what else I could be doing” to train them since they were still doing things incorrectly.

I really really really hope all their job searching pays off so this is no longer every day of my life in the office.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Starting next year, all leave goes into one pool (no vaca/sick split), and the rate goes down 0.2h/period, and we lose our free "floating holiday". Further, all existing sick on 1/1/23 gets converted to the new pool at a rate of 3:1.

So I took a call I'd been putting off and will probably be going somewhere else.

One of the docs they sent out said "finalized 5/1/22". Wonder why they waited so long? Huh? Why would that be? Such mystery.

Edit: for clarity, this is going from the "everything rolls over and you can do a buy back in Q4 if you have a lot you won't use." So, big change. Some people have weeks of sick saved up.

Is that conversion even legal? I'm not entirely sure it is, depending on the state.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    In that case @Sassori I'm sorry your manager is a lazy bum that doesn't actually want to do the work of managing.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Depending on the state they will have to, by law, pay out whatever time they are removing from the accrued pool. I think more states force payouts for unused time than don't, but I haven't looked it up in Quite Some Time.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Is that conversion even legal? I'm not entirely sure it is, depending on the state.

I live in a red state that would pass "employers can charge you to come to work" laws if they could. So I'm guessing it's fine. I just read the e-mail, stood straight up and walked into my manager saying, "I suddenly have a confluence of doctors and dentists next Friday and will be using sick time to take the day off, I'll also be doing follow up tests on the afternoon of the 23rd and need to use the rest of my sick time to take a half day." She just smiled and told me she was very happy I was taking care of my health so seriously and efficiently.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Moridin889 wrote: »

They are offering a 25 dollar gift card per positive survey that mentions you by name. Uncapped.

The parts I oversee are now being looked at very critically because we have received 50+ named positive surveys in three days.

Listen if you're going to offer an incentive don't get mad when people take advantage of it.

Man, I feel bad when I don't fill out the Taco Bell receipt survey. If someone tells me they get 25 bucks per review I'm going around with a note pad taking down names, I've got a robust VPN, a decent head for creative writing, and a suddenly free afternoon.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    schuss wrote: »
    In that case @Sassori I'm sorry your manager is a lazy bum that doesn't actually want to do the work of managing.

It helps to vent! Thanks!

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

My old boss did this exact thing, but it was $50 each, no limit. After me and one other guy each racked up 10+ in a month he said that he “misspoke” and it would be capped at 3 per month per person (and they wouldn’t roll over) and he was “sorry for the confusion.”

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The vet said the lump on Trille, our Shi-Tzu, is most likely a reoccurrence of the skin cancer she's had surgery for twice before. Because of her blindness and very poor hearing, we've decided that next Friday will be when we say goodbye.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My sincere condolences, Heffling. :( What a hell of a way to end the year.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Damn, I am sorry you're going through that.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    So apparently not only has my team lead and manager not realized I'm a fraud yet, but they actually think I'm progressing pretty quickly and signed me up for a 2 week bootcamp that goes over handling more advanced types of cases.

It's not an immediate promotion, but it's one of the main steps I need to be promoted down the road.

The best part though? For those 2 weeks I'm not expected to actually work any cases. I'm supposed to focus on the bootcamp so I get 2 whole glorious weeks of not dealing with customers.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    The vet said the lump on Trille, our Shi-Tzu, is most likely a reoccurrence of the skin cancer she's had surgery for twice before. Because of her blindness and very poor hearing, we've decided that next Friday will be when we say goodbye.

oh my god i'm so sorry

kisses to the baby

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    That is heartbreaking heffling I'm really sorry.

I know it's difficult but at least your dog has a caring owner who is acting in it's best interest.

• Options
    Jokerman wrote: »
    That is heartbreaking heffling I'm really sorry.

I know it's difficult but at least your dog has a caring owner who is acting in it's best interest.

i legitimately hope there is someone around to put me down gently when my time comes *checks notes* in two months what the hell

• Options
    Thank you everyone for the kind words. It's really her time, as she used her hearing to compensate for her loss of vision, but her hearing loss means that often she gets lost in our own home. When I got off of work yesterday, she wasn't able to find me and ended up at the bottom of the stairs barking for a rescue. She doesn't have a good quality of life anymore, and the last thing I want to do is have her suffer needlessly.

Until then it's daily trips to the dog park and hot dogs or chicken thighs for dinner.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Last year, I started taking adderall after discussing with my GP a lifelong pattern of ADHD symptoms. It's just as a highly introverted person, my ADHD sends me inwards rather than outwards. I take the lowest dose in the extended release form, and typically I've only been taking 3-4 pills per week. Usually one on each day I go into the office (3x) then maybe one on a Saturday if we have a ton of errands to run. Because of all of the stuff going on with my dad, I've been taking one every day since Thanksgiving. And I've noticed that while I don't feel any euphoria or high feeling, I definitely have been happier. Or at least, not my normal low grade miserable with occasionally all too brief swings towards happiness, and all to long swings into despair.

Or maybe I'm just in a manic phase.

Hey dawg, I awesome your post for this specifically, not all the sad and difficult stuff going on in your life. Hugs from Texas for all that hard stuff, and congrats for getting on a needed medication!

Speaking of Adderall though, called the pharmacist today:
    Me: Is my prescription in?
    Pharmacist: No, we have nothing new for you yet.
    Me: Really? My doctor sent it in a week and a half ago..
    Pharmacist: Oh, that! Yes we had it on file because it was sent early!

OK, so then why did you say you had nothing in for me?

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Had an opening call with the recruiter today. Apparently I was the most soft-spoken individual she's spoken to in a long time.

And I'm wondering if perhaps the Bluetooth headset I used only switched audio out to the headset but kept the microphone on the phone that was lying next to me?

It's always hard to gauge exactly how well or not things have gone, but I was heartened when I mentioned my expected wage and went above my old wage that I'm dropping down from soon and she went "Yeah, no, that's right in range, no worries there".

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Am I weird that I take my Adderall 7 days a week? Does it make it less effective?

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Am I weird that I take my Adderall 7 days a week? Does it make it less effective?

You're not weird at all. Per my GP it's safe to take daily or intermittently. I was only using it intermittently because I'm an ex-smoker with a family history of smoking and alcoholism, so I have a real fear of addiction.

I was also worried that the constant happy feeling I had for 2 weeks or so was due to me taking it every day, but given how I'm feeling today I'm 100% confident it was just me in a manic upswing.

• Options
    H0b0man wrote: »
    So apparently not only has my team lead and manager not realized I'm a fraud yet, but they actually think I'm progressing pretty quickly and signed me up for a 2 week bootcamp that goes over handling more advanced types of cases.

It's not an immediate promotion, but it's one of the main steps I need to be promoted down the road.

The best part though? For those 2 weeks I'm not expected to actually work any cases. I'm supposed to focus on the bootcamp so I get 2 whole glorious weeks of not dealing with customers.

Do you listen and apply what you heard? Do you follow directions? Can you independently search for or formulate potential solutions to problems when the steps don't work? Are you not a complete dickhead to everyone? Do you remember to mute your mic when not talking?

Congratulations, you're a top performer.

This reminds me of my new hire, who is absolutely slamming it out of the park every day - they're so scared from their last company I'm like "how do you treat such an earnest person so badly that they're afraid to try?"

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I don't want to sound like a smug jerk, but it's very soothing when you catch someone lying about something, then they double down, then you produce more evidence that they're a liar.

Also, there is much gnashing of teeth and sweating about this process change with the work phone. And management is actually standing up for me.

I keep waiting for Ashton Kutcher to pop out with a camera crew and announce I've been bamboozled

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    when someone lies to you in person and then you follow up in writing in an incredibly obvious way making it so easy for them to walk it back and they choose to double down?

pure satisfaction

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    when someone lies to you in person and then you follow up in writing in an incredibly obvious way making it so easy for them to walk it back and they choose to double down?

pure satisfaction

Once had to confront a security officer about him using his phone to scan his rounds.

He was adamant that he just, happened to not appear on the camera and that's why it didn't show him actually going to the scan at all, despite what the round tracker said.

My dude, you are not a vampire, nor are you the first to do this, just stop arguing with me.

• Options

pure satisfaction

My dude, you are not a vampire,

but did you check

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

pure satisfaction

but did you check

auuji5ovrfzu.jpg

It's me, Regular Human security guard Jackie Daytona.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

pure satisfaction

but did you check

auuji5ovrfzu.jpg

vgd65hgcui30.png

Actual wall mural here in Tucson Arizona.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular

pure satisfaction

but did you check

auuji5ovrfzu.jpg

It is mue, reg-oolaire humon, se-cur-a-tee guwaed, Jackie DayTONaaa…ee…

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular

Heh, I just had some equipment installed. The installers emailed me and said they hoped the install went well.
    Then I received a few emails from the company (it was a multi-day thing with a few people)

And I'm like.. fine.. 10/10 for everybody involved. I added their names that they emailed me with, and 10/10 everything they did. Just.. 10/10 for everyone, since I know enough that 9/10 is somehow a failure for some companies, and I just want to say they did their job and it wasn't a bad job.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

You're not weird at all. Per my GP it's safe to take daily or intermittently. I was only using it intermittently because I'm an ex-smoker with a family history of smoking and alcoholism, so I have a real fear of addiction.

I was also worried that the constant happy feeling I had for 2 weeks or so was due to me taking it every day, but given how I'm feeling today I'm 100% confident it was just me in a manic upswing.

I also had a therapist once mention that with some couples she counseled that it actually created a problem when one spouse was taking adderall (or similar meds) only on work days.

It made some of them a poor partner during the weekend. Focused during the work week and then ignoring their partner during their days off or unable to fully concentrate on a moment with their partner.

Which I had never considered and thought was really interesting.

This discussion has been closed.