As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Support your local [Job] thread

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I got one and my oldest got one:

rhl5utjbo7o9.jpeg

Huh, i know that first one. Forgot the name. Has a sequel

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

rhl5utjbo7o9.jpeg

Huh, i know that first one. Forgot the name. Has a sequel

Blindsight. Certainly would be a surprising blind date

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ-uRojUj94

just feeling my soul leave my body

I can very literally see my old apartment in this picture.

I was driving 90ish miles round trip from there out to thousand oaks and uh, yea, worst commute ever.

...he says stating the obvious.

Kinda hope my company doesn't win the bid for a new job in the valley, because that would turn into my commute

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Is that top one
    Blindsight??

Because that book rules!

Edit: shoulda checked the next page!

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Disassociating during your commute ain't decompression.

What?

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

What?

You ever driven home from work with the radio off, both hands on the wheel, and nothing behind the eyes?

• Options
    Docshifty wrote: »

What?

You ever driven home from work with the radio off, both hands on the wheel, and nothing behind the eyes?

Noooo......

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Though I can walk or ride my bike to work I really cannot recompress while coming home from it anymore
    My right hand is a tender mess again (phone typing is far easier than keyboard with it) but I really need to do something before I decent into the abyss of rage and frustration again as who cleans up after the hulk was a statement I heard last year that hit hard for me

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

What?

When I was commuting I would sometimes find myself sitting in the driveway back home and no conscious recollection of the time between leaving work and arriving.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

What?

When I was commuting I would sometimes find myself sitting in the driveway back home and no conscious recollection of the time between leaving work and arriving.

Same, but more often arriving at work without remembering the drive. Sleep deprivation is a hell of a drug.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Commutes are unpaid time, never mind the transportation cost you aren't getting reimbursed for.

Here in the Netherlands you get paid €0.21 per kilometer and if your employer does not handle this (it's optional) you can list your travel costs as an expense on your tax return. Employers have options to encourage use of public transport by covering 100% of the costs, Dutch government has lucrative options to buy bicycles for commuting or employee has options to get part of their money back when they buy a new bike.

Any proper employer will also just lease cars to employees who need a vehicle for their job and that can be used cheaply to get from home to work and back. I even had a lease bicycle at some point. It was a bright red cargo bike with the company logo, but it was free and if something would break the boss would pay to get it fixed. This wasn't some outlandishly weird thing here, one of the larges employers in the area is KLM, so I see a lot of people with sky blue bikes like the ones below:

iqqr3btrwfft.png

(yes, on KLM's first flight to Edmonton they took a few of their bikes with them and yes the Canadians welcomed them with the tallest mounty they could find)

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

rhl5utjbo7o9.jpeg

I immediately know what the top one is and someone is in for a wild ride.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Seems like I chose wisely, then. :D

I’m pretty sure I recognized one of the other ones. I think the description was “Sci-Fi; The world is going down the tubes but a new religion might have some answers” and it was about the right size for Stranger in a Strange Land.

• Options
    Is there a term for that dramatic zoom out or zoom in shot along a ship that gurren lagann liked to do?

Or was in Otakuking's Tie Fighter movie?

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Aldo wrote: »

...Any proper employer will also ...

Proper employers? In THIS economy?

Or any other economy really, at least here in Murica

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I've done the blind book thing before. It is SO MUCH WORK so kudos for checking some out. I'm sure the librarians/minimum wage library aides who probably did all the wrapping appreciated it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Today is my Monday.

It is also my ULTRA-FRIDAX cause I took the rest of the week off.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I hated Blindsight so much. It is a well written piece of sci-fi and pretty objectively a great book and I loathe the central theme so much I will never read another one of his books again.

I have never had a commute more then 40 minutes and would probably only take it if it was that or starve. Not only do you not get paid, but if you can't take pubic transportation you are actually paying for the privilege of wasting hours of your day thanks to wear and tear on your car.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Blindsight and Echopraxia on their faces as goofy scifi romps but thematically yeah, complete trainwreck.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    We had to constantly pry promised gas money from Samsung's clutching fingers to cover our 120 mile a day round trip commutes when they moved our temporary warehouse to the ass end of the state while they built the actual one at the plant. If they didn't cover that I'd have probably quit.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    oh cool the semi local particle accelerator lab is hiring a designer i have no idea why... but if i'm going to shoot my shot it's gotta be to at least one cool place doing science beyond my comprehension

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    oh cool the semi local particle accelerator lab is hiring a designer i have no idea why... but if i'm going to shoot my shot it's gotta be to at least one cool place doing science beyond my comprehension

They're waiting for you, Gordon. In the test chamberrr...

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Man nepotism is a hell of a thing, eh?

I emailed an old friend of mine about a month ago asking for advice on job hunting when I go back to Australia in the summer. I wasn't asking her for a job, just advice, where to look etc. She's a "leadership consultant" which I don't even know what that means but she's very successful.

I told her the kind of positions and salaries I'm hoping for and she said she'd love to help and I should send my portfolio/resume website when I'm done making it.

Anyway today she emailed me saying one of her clients is totally interested in hiring me if my portfolio is suitable. I could even work for this person while I'm still here in Canada.

Like what the fuck

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

I emailed an old friend of mine about a month ago asking for advice on job hunting when I go back to Australia in the summer. I wasn't asking her for a job, just advice, where to look etc. She's a "leadership consultant" which I don't even know what that means but she's very successful.

I told her the kind of positions and salaries I'm hoping for and she said she'd love to help and I should send my portfolio/resume website when I'm done making it.

Anyway today she emailed me saying one of her clients is totally interested in hiring me if my portfolio is suitable. I could even work for this person while I'm still here in Canada.

Like what the fuck

It really is who you know sometimes.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

Like what the fuck

This isn't nepotism, it's networking! It's only nepotism if you're not actually qualified (or the person doesn't care if you're qualified) and/or the person you know is in a direct position to hire you or tell someone else to hire you whether they like it or not.

This is just you being good at your job and being the type of person others are willing to advocate for.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I appreciate that!

But also, my friend doesn't really know if I'm good at my job, she advocated for me as an old friend and a good person and her client said "that's half the battle in hiring sometimes..."

Now it's 1:30am and I can't sleep because my mind is racing about this

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Sure but the key thing there is a) she's not the one hiring you and b) the ones who are still want to see your work first. Having someone willing to go to bat for you based on your character ain't nepotism, it's just human nature and frankly it's a good thing.

Now if you get the job and you fuck it off sitting around doing nothing, and they keep you on because they're somehow worried about your friend, then we can start talking about proper nepotism.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Well that was a thing.

Entire work building just shook. Apparently it shook the entire neighborhood. Maybe we just got earthquaked, too. Unusual!

Edit: ah, 4.4 quake in a nearby town.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I appreciate that!

But also, my friend doesn't really know if I'm good at my job, she advocated for me as an old friend and a good person and her client said "that's half the battle in hiring sometimes..."

Now it's 1:30am and I can't sleep because my mind is racing about this

Impostor Syndrome is real, but I give you a pass on this. You didn't get the job yet, you got some interest because your friend knows your a good person (and more importantly, unless I'm misreading this whole situation, reliable).

You still have to present your portfolio and have the client approve, which is going to be based entirely on your own merits.

Not nepotism!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Yeah no buddy this is networking, and you did a good job with it!

The client still saw your resume and portfolio first which means they evaluated what they saw and decided you had merit as a hire

The friend helped with verifying you have a good personality, sure, but that's genuinely part of networking, here - making personal connections that can act as a bridge to getting your name in front of people

No different than if you met this person at work or through business-related events

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    At the end of the day, your friend isn’t going to advocate for you if they think you’re an asshole, or a talentless hack, or would otherwise embarrass them.

You did some things right here, and that paid off for you. This is a victory that you earned, not one that was just handed to you because of who your parents are.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    You lead with your reference instead of resume. It's one of the rarer forms of job hunting, but by far the best

• Options
    Conversation with a friend made me realize I never networked in my life and have no human connections to exploit.

Well, I tried it once but failed.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    nepworking

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Commuting home today

Car in front of me has a bumper sticker that says "For all intensive porpoises"

I have never had road rage like that before.

No effing way. I've been trying to figure out how to get this concept in a tattoo without using the words for years now.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Oh goody, I think my manager is gonna get on my case over my bathroom breaks. This is a very bad sign...

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Oh goody, I think my manager is gonna get on my case over my bathroom breaks. This is a very bad sign...

I told them I will take pics to prove I took a massive dump last time

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Teacher: I have to use SOFTWARE for this CLASS SPECIFIC PIECE OF HARDWARE. And I can't use it. I need to have this software ready to go before class in 20 minutes. The SOFTWARE is for the CLASS SPECIFIC HARDWARE and it's not working. I can't setup the CLASS SPECIFIC PIECE OF HARDWARE without the SOFTWARE and class is starting soon. It says the keyboard is unplugged, can you come look at it?

Me: Umm...It'll be probably 20 or 30 minutes before I can swing down, but if you follow the cord for the keyboard you'll find the end and can plug it back in on any open USB port.

Teacher: Well I can do that but how did it get unplugged?

Me: uhhh...Well mischief in general has been up lately, it's possible a kid just walked by and unplugged it at some point while grabbing something from the table in front of your desk.

Teacher: That can't be it, the kids aren't allowed by my desk.

:rotate:

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    Teacher: I have to use SOFTWARE for this CLASS SPECIFIC PIECE OF HARDWARE. And I can't use it. I need to have this software ready to go before class in 20 minutes. The SOFTWARE is for the CLASS SPECIFIC HARDWARE and it's not working. I can't setup the CLASS SPECIFIC PIECE OF HARDWARE without the SOFTWARE and class is starting soon. It says the keyboard is unplugged, can you come look at it?

Me: Umm...It'll be probably 20 or 30 minutes before I can swing down, but if you follow the cord for the keyboard you'll find the end and can plug it back in on any open USB port.

Teacher: Well I can do that but how did it get unplugged?

Me: uhhh...Well mischief in general has been up lately, it's possible a kid just walked by and unplugged it at some point while grabbing something from the table in front of your desk.

Teacher: That can't be it, the kids aren't allowed by my desk.

:rotate:

christ do you have to hold their hand while they poop too

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I don't know if there's a better way to tell people that they need to come back when they have fewer bugs in their clothes, I just know that I've gotten hella yelled at every time.

We're on the same side here, patron! We both want you to be in the library! Let's both be angry at the bugs together, they're the ones who aren't allowed in the library!

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.