As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dwarf Fortress] with acceptable, SD graphics.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I haven't played much since December, but I remember having a similar issue to mrpaku except with a temple and a barracks. I tried toggling them as inactive, but the bloody dwarves would not stop praying and training, getting basically nothing done. Do you have to entirely remove the zone and remake it when it's all right to use?

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Don't know. I haven't played the latest version, but at least before setting them as inactive worked. The new version has a totally different military function though so it might require totally removing the zone.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    you can set squad schedules in the squad menu in the Steam version

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    What do I do about Dwarves who just want to sit and drink/eat/listen to stories/socialize in my tavern? I've put guys in squads, moved them downstairs, then immediately dissolved the squad, erased the tavern zone then remade it, turned off all labors then turned them back on again after setting everyone to haul for a few minutes

Specifically my miners (all holding currently picks, which I have plenty of) have a bit hole to dig that I've erased and reassigned three times now, and they act like they have zero clue there's a job to do down there. And, does this have anything do with me taking in every bard, poet, and dancer that wanders in (up to seven now)?

I realize this is from a while ago, but if I had a bar of steel for every time I managed to dig out the access point for the rest of a mining project, I’d never run out of equipment for my military… especially managing to dig out the access point behind the first two or three dwarves to make their way down, trapping them.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Dwarf Fortress won DICE Strategy/Sim game of the year.

Nominees and Tarn Bros. speech: (You want 1:26:00 in the video, about midway, if the link doesn't got to the right spot)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvnWWiuHIKw&t=5178s

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FvnWWiuHIKw&t=5178s

Qanamil on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Some of my friends (proficient DF players) and I (inexperienced enthusiast) have started a succession fort where we each run a year. Decided to share it here as well:

Year 1:
    Erithmor (Labortemples) was founded in the world of Osmoulo (The Dimension of Souls), in year 100 in a site selected based mostly on the name of the stream: Stigma of Eviscerators. Sounds promising lads, we'll set up a fort at the headwaters and let the waters run red with... uh, I mean, establish a prosperous trading outpost. It is in untamed wilds with Elves, Humans, and Goblins in close proximity, and iron and flux stone present. All other details were ignored except that we made a minor note of some sort of light aquifer but assumed that would be fine. Our heroic expedition led by Erush Asmelgutid began by burrowing as deeply as we could, intent on finding the most fertile soil to farm - none of this barely-beneath-the-surface stuff for us, you can practically feel the sunlight up there! We dug a ramp far, far down, somewhat slowed down by running into the light aquifer that we'd been warned of which wound up being around 10 layers thick. We were stuck working with filthy wood the whole time until we got through - you'd think we were dirty elves if it weren't for all the deforestation. Soon enough we struck the caverns. Surely this is a good, and safe, place to set up our farms!

After many, many attempts and revisions we finally managed to wall in a section of the caverns with nobody* left stranded outside the walls. (*Nobody excludes Kubuk, who was so stubborn and stupid that even when recruited and specifically stationed in the middle of the brewery, he insisted on standing around in the caverns for months and died of dehydration, presumably intent on getting a drink of cavern-water which he couldn't access.) It should be noted that the cavern walls are limited in height. We're pretty sure they're safe, so long as nothing that wants to attack us can fly or climb. Oh yeah, and the front entrance is wide open too. Minor details, we'll get them sorted out some day.

The actual organization of the fort is a complete disaster. We've got the trade depot relatively shallow with no defences behind it. The main ramp then passes through the barracks, in hopes that training soldiers will stop and deal with unwelcome guests who walk through the middle of them. The tomb level and luxury bedrooms (under construction) are not pictured. The ramp then reaches the tavern (with small temple) and then the manufacturing floor which is currently a random jumble but was planned to be mostly food processing once all other industries can move elsewhere. Farming occurs in the caverns off to the left of the industry layer.

There were a few notable events:

-A troll snuck in prior to the completion of the cavern walls. It was in the process of getting the crap beat out of it by several laborers when Imush (our militia captain) caught up and unceremoniously chopped it to pieces. We don't have a hospital or anything so we're just assuming any injuries sustained by the others are minor and everything is great.

-Kivish became possessed and crafted Igathkurol Necikizeg, a steel mace! She received a special tag in her name in honor of the fantastic work. Perhaps we will soon find or train somebody worthy of wielding such a weapon!

-After building our walls we observed a troglodyte in the distance in the caverns getting absolutely torn apart. We couldn't identify the opponent. Citizens were informed that there is nothing at all to be concerned about from either troglodytes or any mysterious monster capable of massacring troglodytes.

-We traded a crapload of jewels to the caravan in exchange for a substantial food haul, since our farms were very late to start up. They requested ammunition and scepters for next year. We began producing many, many rock scepters.

It is now the 1st of Granite, year 101, and sorting out the organization trainwreck is somebody else's problem. Good luck to our future managers!

32g91op8kkwb.jpg
    z571hnsovlga.jpg
    87mzgsy8hcvx.jpg

Year 2:
    The second year included minimal organization improvement, but did have the start of many ambitious projects. Unfortunately a lack of new migrants, and a perfusion of visiting bards providing distractions meant that many tasks are still uncompleted.

Notable events:
    -Our stray elephant was trained in the art of war, and spent most of the year chasing a herd of emus. Because of this great success we've begun training a group of rutherers for pets and/or food.

-A significant excavation into the depths of the earth revealed the magma sea, along with two volcanic pillars that promise adamantine, divine artifacts, and/or demons. These have been left alone until the military is stronger (and we have more expendable dwarfs.) For now, we have settled for setting up a minecart filling station so that we can free ourselves from relying on trees to fuel our furnaces. The first batch of minecarts is full but needs to be emptied in the appropriate place.

-An attempt at building a defensive side tunnel near the trade depot revealed a 30z-level chasm. This was immediately converted into a disposal zone for unwanted animals caught in the cage traps, and the nearby butcher shop has been working at a steady pace to process the output.
    -Unfortunately the same chasm was the death of Erush Asmelgutid, who decided the best way to dodge an invading cave crocodile was to leap off the cliff. Fortunately most of their body could be retrieved and has been interred in a silver sarcophagus in recognition of their service to the fortress. Additional cage traps are being installed to reduce the chance of this tragedy repeating.
    -A minecart crusher is under construction in the same tunnel, with the aim of pushing invaders off the same cliff at high speed.

-A rudimentary hospital was constructed. The woodcutter Degel Muthirathal was appointed as the chief medical dwarf due to his questionable spatial sense, disdain for knowledge, and general lack of mercy. I'll consider him my proxy.

-A small group of troglodytes made their way past the walls in the cavern, but fortunately the military had no issue removing them from the fort.

-The enormous pile scepters were used to buy a ton of goods from the dwarven caravan, including two steel battle axes. They're requesting ammunition for next year, but no production is taking place yet.

m1p9as7qnpco.jpg
    q5jf9u5lkr6b.jpg

Year 3:
    So from the last time I took a look at how our fort was running, I was attempting to bring some sanity back to the lives of our poor dwarves. Some madman had created some kind of twisted rollercoaster to a massive pool of lava and set up a bunch of cages in the blood forest. I, Kivish Quillbridged (chosen largely because a dwarven child made a figurine of me, now on display in the tavern, of which I am the tavern keeper), have decided to ignore all these things that are surely the result of an unhinged mind.

I busily set about adding more bedrooms, moving the barracks to a more central location, and generally expanding and polishing things. We have repeating work orders set for many of the basics (beds, doors, cutting and encrusting with gems, making food) and have started churning out statues to liven the place up.

4wsjxug1dwdd.jpg
    Minkot Mezwhatever, Hammerdwarf died while chasing down a bunch of troglodytes in the caverns. They will be deeply missed etc etc anyway I couldn't find any existing tombs so we started some down by the lava and have named them the very appropriate Lava Tombs.

94wk3gxyuvae.jpg
    One of the children ended up being tasked with interring Minkot after their coffin was installed and is... taking it well? Yeah, let's go with that.

a83xvm6a7nue.jpg
    You, uh... you did great, little buddy. Good... good job.

c8kue8216zw8.jpg
    Most of my time was spent trying to improve the quality of life for our hardworking dwarves. The tavern has been kitted out with two artifacts, a pair of instruments, a bunch of statues, and now sports a dedicated performer. There have as of yet been no devastating vomit and blood fueled brawls.

4wanum2u4e3v.jpg
    The farms were successfully expanded and I don't remember if I ended up rerouting the water used to flood them or not but I'm sure it will be fine. We haven't set up ash production to fertilize them or anything but food and drink levels have been steadily climbing regardless.

oha9z678itrh.jpg
    Whilst furiously trying to establish my library in the winter of my decline, Gorlak showed up. I have no idea who or what he is but I love him and hope he can become a member of this fort.

fvsu0xu7rhid.jpg
    Oh... oh no....

v8ad7ubsq114.jpg
    The start of my grand library. Pretty much the entire winter was spent smoothing and building bookcases. I spent some time attempting to liberate some logs that had fallen into the river up top, before deciding that I can just cut some more trees down, before remembering that bookcases can also be made of stone.

1a8cr6fe05c6.jpg
    Whatever this is, I'm sure it's fine.

Thus ends year 3 of Labortemples. Despite my best efforts we still have a substantial number of ingrates malcontents dissatisfied citizens, but I'm sure that won't last. Perhaps a trip in the lava carts is what they're lacking...
    fs1y4bb2ol8c.png

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Took me a while to get around to playing the Steam version. Started a seemingly easy fortress, with plenty of everything, nice surroundings. But it turns out I'm still not used to the new announcement system, and often miss some pretty important announcements.

For example, my previously successful fortress of Bloodworks just had a weregiraffe stop by. It killed a couple of dwarves and then luckily reverted back to its normal goblin form and fled. I noticed that he had bitten my carpenter, so I arranged for said carpenter to be locked away forever as soon as he is released from the hospital.

Unfortunately he shifted into weregiraffe form earlier than I anticipated. Which I didn't notice until he had murdered a couple of people and got murdered himself.

Well that wasn't too bad, I thought. I couldn't find any bites in the combat logs so I thought everything would be fine. Little did I know that two dwarven children had somehow been infected. And when they transformed, I didn't notice anything. I was happily overseeing the construction of a new temple... Until I noticed that almost all my dwarves were really unhappy. And their numbers had strangely dwindled from 72 to 7. And of those 7, two went by the title "weregiraffe dwarven child".

So that happened. I don't expect any of the regular citizens to survive. I have a vampire locked away so he might be able to keep the fortress alive until new migrants arrive some day to witness the horror of what happened to Bloodworks. Not sure what to do with the weregiraffes, because they're both children so I can't order them to do anything after they transform back into dwarf form. I think I'll have to release my vampire and hopefully he'll, erm, solve the problem as soon as the children go to sleep.

In conclusion, I'm happy to report that things have stayed Fun in the Steam version.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Oof, weregiraffes. That's gotta be some kinda Lovecraftian horror to see down in dwarven tunnels. You hear this low-pitched groan from you don't know where, then this crazy-eyed child's face comes snaking around the corner with no body in sight. The last thing you see is the face of a delighted hungry child rising high above you and crunch, down come those false horns. Feeding time.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    I managed to kill one of the children and lock one of them away behind a forbidden door. Migrants arrived, hopes were high.

Unfortunately it turns out that ghosts will open locked doors. A dozen ghosts had risen to torment the child who killed them, inadvertently setting her free to kill almost all of the newly arrived migrants.

She is three years old, a legendary fighter with a really impressive kill list. Currently I've managed to lock her up again for the time being. She's playing with a puzzle box in a puddle of severed limbs and blood. Her thoughts? She's "happy that people are getting along so well."

If I get another migrant wave to survive long enough to do some work, their first priority will be to flood her side of the fortress and drown this demon child.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Could you keep her in case of even worse threats?

Kind of a Hannibal Lecter situation

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Yeah, I did some experiments in the pre-50 days of werebeasts vs. giant with a legendary weapon and the giant died horribly in five out of five tests. I think the "feel no pain" thing really make the werebeasts especially dangerous.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Could you keep her in case of even worse threats?

Kind of a Hannibal Lecter situation

I considered making her part of my fortress defense against invaders. And after she's grown up I'd put her in a single-dwarf squad and give her weapons. And if the goblins were to kill her, oh well.

But I came to the conclusion that she's too dangerous to handle, given how easily lycanthropy spreads, so I just drowned her instead.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Well the glorious fortress of Bloodworks is dead. We survived the weregiraffes. We barely survived the next plague, a weremarmoset infestation, although by that point our fortress was hanging by a thread: only the vampire mayor, now released from his prison to fight the lycanthropes, remained.

Season after season, migrants refused to come to this corpse-littered hellhole. The vampire wandered the halls alone, apparently too interested in farming to bother burying anyone. But some visitors did show up, and apparently those poets and bards do some actual work too, so the situation wasn't completely hopeless... Until one of the visitors turned out to be a goddamn weregiraffe again!!

The other visitors were all dead in a moment. The vampire mayor tried to fight him, but this time his undead strength wasn't enough to save the fortress. The giraffe turned into a goblin, and I promptly expelled him, which left our population at 0.

Now to decide if I should try to reclaim the fortress. It's been a nightmare from start to finish, but I think it could be turned into a success with some minor changes.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    @Mayday you and the rest of the art team have no business making the baby albatross sprite as cute as it is.

but please continue.

(from the Steam store page update)

uxy1oatp0uys.png

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    How do I move an individual item out of a stockpile? Say I just discovered a secret plot to steal a clan scepter that's currently inside a bin in a Finished Goods stockpile and I want to move it to behind some doors and dogs: how would I do that?

Sort of flip side of the same question: how do I get my fellas to pick up an individual item? Like, if someone keeps leaving food out to rot in their room, or the group leaves bituminous coal by the starter wagon, or someone drops their pick during an attack?

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    How do I move an individual item out of a stockpile? Say I just discovered a secret plot to steal a clan scepter that's currently inside a bin in a Finished Goods stockpile and I want to move it to behind some doors and dogs: how would I do that?

Sort of flip side of the same question: how do I get my fellas to pick up an individual item? Like, if someone keeps leaving food out to rot in their room, or the group leaves bituminous coal by the starter wagon, or someone drops their pick during an attack?

For the first, you can put artifacts on display on pedestals or in display cases. Make some, place them as furniture, and then when you select them you get a menu of what you want to put on display. You can put multiple items in display furniture as well.

As for the second, you can either force them to dump the item as garbage, or make sure you have a stockpile with that item/type open that has free room. Food is considered "owned' once it's picked up, so you basically have to throw it out once it gets dropped, it won't get returned to a stockpile.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Say I just discovered a secret plot to steal a clan scepter that's currently inside a bin in a Finished Goods stockpile and I want to move it to behind some doors and dogs

Update: Shortly after a second Werebear attack (happened back to back: five dead + one horse), this message flashes:
    The Human Hammerman Kamloc Sitsushene was spotted sneaking around! "I'll live to fight another day!"

I'm assuming this has to do with Esmulkethil "The Full Principle" (a willow scepter only worth about, 1000, that like six different dwarves have blabbed about). The scepter is currently in my Mayor's bedroom with a nearby guard dog.
    What should I expect/prepare for the Hammerman to actually do?

Edit- nm, I think pretty much everyone who didn't die/get horribly maimed in "The Tavern Incident" is now a Werebear, so this problem solved itself. Let's see them try to get the scepter now

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Say I just discovered a secret plot to steal a clan scepter that's currently inside a bin in a Finished Goods stockpile and I want to move it to behind some doors and dogs

Update: Shortly after a second Werebear attack (happened back to back: five dead + one horse), this message flashes:
    The Human Hammerman Kamloc Sitsushene was spotted sneaking around! "I'll live to fight another day!"

I'm assuming this has to do with Esmulkethil "The Full Principle" (a willow scepter only worth about, 1000, that like six different dwarves have blabbed about). The scepter is currently in my Mayor's bedroom with a nearby guard dog.
    What should I expect/prepare for the Hammerman to actually do?

Edit- nm, I think pretty much everyone who didn't die/get horribly maimed in "The Tavern Incident" is now a Werebear, so this problem solved itself. Let's see them try to get the scepter now

Sooooo one very awesome werebear now lords a relatively mediocre artifact over a bunch of dead everything?

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    dfhack is live on steam now which makes it a lot easier to keep updated;

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2346660/DFHack__Dwarf_Fortress_Modding_Engine/

they also have beta branches to correspond with the current steam df beta branches as well which is neat.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    new patch is out today, here are the notes:
    Today's patch features the much-anticipated baby update including sprites for children and babies for many of the creatures and outdoor plants. This also includes dragon hatchings! How cute! Other important fixes for buckets and refuse stockpiles.

New stuff
    XML export is back in legends mode.

Major bug fixes
    Cleaned out lingering data from autosaves and manual saves that could cause corruption if multiple worlds were active.

Graphics additions/changes
    Added graphics for many child/baby creatures.
    Added hatchling state for dragons.
    Added crop/sprout pictures for outdoor plants.
    Added outdoor sapling graphics.
    Added palettized boulders.
    Ice wall graphics updated.
    Smooth ice wall graphics added.
    Added more fortification images to indicate direction and material.

Other bug fixes/tweaks
    Stopped dwarves without working grasps from trying to get goblets to drink, failing, and dying of thirst.
    Allowed most water-based jobs that use buckets to use partially-filled water buckets in addition to empty buckets.
    Made stocks screen open faster.
    Made all stockpiles not include the refuse option.
    Stopped refuse piles that also have armor/finished good settings from degrading contents.

-Alexandra
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/3683424562655660575

Zavian on
  • Options
    Started a new world and spotted this gem:

xzyp2ehs3pud.png

I guess there's going to be a lot of sects in my next fortress.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I haven't been following this as closely as I'd like, does anyone know if the bolts issue has been fixed yet? Or at least if a workaround has been found?

Edit: I feel like I want to get back into DF again, but I feel like I always end up getting annoyed by design issues, or I over plan, or it ends up not looking great, idk...

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    I haven't been following this as closely as I'd like, does anyone know if the bolts issue has been fixed yet? Or at least if a workaround has been found?

Edit: I feel like I want to get back into DF again, but I feel like I always end up getting annoyed by design issues, or I over plan, or it ends up not looking great, idk...

in the latest news update they said they're aware of and looking at the ammo issue this month, but no date yet for when it's getting patched:
    This month we have several goals. We're going to start by getting the experimental branch moved over to the main line. The update of the engine from SDL to SDL2 is stable, and there will also be a multithreading option. It's off by default until we get some more testing done on the experimental branch, but the speed gains are significant, so it will be available in the settings as well. The update to SDL2 was the most important change for ports, so Linux and Mac versions are much closer now.

Adventure Mode Update

Adventure mode work is underway! I have an adventurer running around in the graphical play area. As with fortress mode, the game already exists, but now we need to work through the interface for every possible action and event, as well as creating the sound landscape with our new audio engineers. This will be a long process, but it'll be fun to watch it come together, and we'll be able to update regularly on our progress there now that adventure work has finally begun.

Fortress Mode Update

Over in fortress mode, Putnam's almost ready with a menu to review old reports and announcements and is working on making filterable-sortable lists more consistent. Between the adventure work I should have a chance to look at ammunition issues this month as well. And we've got additional tree and plant graphics coming down the line, as well as graphical improvements to engravings, bookshelves, and more.

-Tarn
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/3667665767272994845

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    "...and there will also be a multithreading option"

Holy SHIT. Like, offloading Anything At All to another core is going to be a Big Fucking Deal because of how presently Dwarf Fortress uses one (1) thread for literally everything. God damn. Even if it's just interface and graphical stuff getting offloaded, any % moved off is a direct % increase to simulation speeds.

damn.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Graphics are multithreaded at the moment, IIRC!

What isn't multithreaded is pathfinding and the like, which... kind of can't, for technical reasons.

• Options
    new patch is out with the multithreading option and some new tree graphics:
    In this release, we're updating the engine from SDL to SDL2, and there are many optimizations to go along with it. Aside from the optimizations, SDL2 is also the stepping stone to ports. We have Linux compiling and playable; it just needs some testing.

Moreover, there is now a(n experimental) multithreading option in the game settings that makes the game even faster!

We also have some new individual tree graphics, and an update to grass ramps as well.

This has been mostly the hard work of Putnam! Meanwhile I've started up on adventure mode - the long work of updating menus and adding audio has begun! Hopefully we'll have some progress to show their soon, as we continue updating fortress mode as well.

- Tarn, the Toady One
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/3655282771707693474

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I just noticed that above patch and excitedly reinstalled to give it a try and..with the multithreading option on or off i'm getting about 1/5 the performance I was before :( previously i'd been able to maintain a steady 200 fps (game time) up until 200 dwarves no problem. Now i'm down to ~100 with 110 dwarves. Created a new world and fortress to make sure it wasn't something off about that worldgen and same thing. boo urns

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Summer update:
    • Adventure Mode work fully underway
    • Announcements history done, working on the UI before it goes live
    • Depot Access -- shows path so you know for sure they can gain access
    • Multithreading stability issues
    • Procedural dwarf faces
    • Various other art assets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s5uijK6_6A

• Options
    beta branch update is out:
    We have an update to the beta branch with some of your most requested fixes including the ability to view all alerts and a fix for archer ammo. You can look at your old alerts now, and you can also view combat history from a creature's sheet and advance through it one step at a time if a combat is active.

Ammo should work if you've made custom uniforms for archers now. Soldiers shouldn't hoard rotten food in their rooms. Lots of crash fixes and some more optimization. There's also a potential fix for dwarves being stuck in trees but it needs more testing to see how effective it is. All of the following updates are going on beta first so we can figure out what kind of problems will arise before we move over to the main branch.

Thank you to everyone for being so patient with us as we get back to full strength!

New stuff
    * Can view all alerts, including old ones that have been dismissed
    * Can view combat reports from creature sheets
    * Can pause combat reports whenever new events are added
    * Added crash logging

Major bug fixes
    * Fixed crash from removing zone with assigned unit
    * Fixed multithreading crash related to announcements
    * Fixed a potential crash issue with monarch arrival and made them provide more wagons properly
    * Fixed potential crash related to certain traveling creatures
    * Ammo assignments are updated properly when changing uniforms
    * Removed ownership of food items whenever they are dropped (stops rotten food hoarding in rooms)

Graphics additions/changes
    * New stone ramp graphics

Other bug fixes/tweaks
    * Made creatures more able to get out of trees
    * Sped up mid-level map retrieval (helps slowdowns on large world embarks)
    * Optimized relationship lookup for socializing dwarves
    * Fixed out of bounds issue with wheelbarrows
    * Stopped music mods from throwing error when making a new world
    * Fixed crash when there's an invalid language (mods)
    * Made broker leave depot when last wagon leaves instead of first
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/3693570314255962426

• Options
    Dev update and roadmap for adventure mode:
    We are here with a brand-new development roadmap outlining our plans for Adventure Mode and updates to Fortress Mode. Please keep in mind these are estimates. We do have a date in mind but we’re not quite confident enough to announce it yet. All we can say right now is “not this year”, but hopefully we’ll have more specifics soon. We know you’ve been waiting patiently, and we are working hard. We will be building on the Adventure Mode framework that already exists. This is exciting because everything is working as intended and we “just” need to add the interface and graphics, which will take us some months. Here’s the plan for how we get to Adventure Mode release, hopefully not-too-late next year:

To Start
    First, the basics, which will let us actually see what’s going on at all in the new art style.
    - Travel map - we have the world map, but sites need hundreds of sprites to match up with the ASCII that shows individual streets etc. We’ll be iterating on this until launch.
    - Main interface layout - similar to Fortress Mode, there are tile-based actions, information menus, and other actions like travel. There’s also a day-night cycle and we’ll have a minimap this time around.
    - Procedural portraits - we need to implement Carolyn’s great portraits for the humans/elves/dwarves/goblins/kobolds, and also get animal people displayed. Every animal person!
    c13ekrzkaiwb.png
    Once we have this framework, we’ll just start doing the actions and menus one at a time. Full keyboard and full mouse support for all play styles. Actions are challenging because they can be initiated by clicking the play area, through buttons and hot keys, or by accessing a full list. There must be several ways to perform the same action based on context, play style, and input method. Can you guess what the buttons below do?
    jul93qqjxtu1.png
    Major Features
    These are the biggest-risk items, each of which hopefully isn’t more than a few weeks, but it’s hard to say since they each have multiple sub-systems and open design questions to be solved between code and art.
    - Inventory - equipping items and containers are the trickiest parts here. You can wear multiple shirts and nest containers as deep as you like, and the new interface will have to handle this with both keyboard and mouse support.
    - Combat (striking and wrestling) - wrestling will be a bit of a doozy, as there’s a lot of physical/anatomical complexity that we’re not sure how best to communicate
    - Conversations - this includes supporting the current Adventure Mode system of interleaving speech and actions, and having three or more participants in conversations
    - Character generator - you can make a whole party in Adventure Mode and the character creation options are complex. We have to update this system.

More!
    These are individually much less complicated and risky than the above, but still have lots of little fiddly bits to keep us busy.
    - Status screens - wounds, skills, needs etc. There is a lot of information about every character, similar to the dwarf sheets in Fortress Mode.
    - Journal screen (quests and knowledge) - we may integrate this with Legends Mode because they are very similar.
    - Crafting and other powers - Adventure Mode is highly moddable and we need to support vast menus of magical powers and other abilities. Pet any animal!
    - Various small menus/actions (“widgets”) - stealth, movement, tracking, odors, party controls, combat options, etc.
    - Audio integration - the audio designers are working in parallel with us and we’ll be adding a whole new soundscape for Adventure Mode
    Cabin building wasn’t properly feature-rich in the classic Adventure Mode. We’d love to expand on it, but it’s definitely more optional to the Adventure Mode experience than the above features and systems. We have the new Fortress Mode interface which will help a lot, but we may do it after launch if it becomes too complicated.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/3753244942577557601

• Options
    edited November 2023
    new Adventure Mode trailer, April 2024 release date:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29pAiUeCq4A

Zavian on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Looking forward to it! I haven’t booted the game up since I paved my last embark area and built a metal world tree.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's been a hot minute since I played as well. I dropped about 180 hours into it, which is a lot for me! I might start it back up and get back in the mood so when the adventure mode gets added I'll have a world with some fortresses and personal history with it.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    [Ancient Draft, encrusted with clusters of rough words]
    Darmak wrote: »
    Someone made a Blue Diamond Coffin
    78a07zgc2u8s.png
    I feel like even the rustiest and least dabbling of Appraisers should be able to see how that- one of the fanciest artifacts I have ever personally seen- might be worth a teensy bit more than 2300.

Honestly that sounds like an actual legit beautiful coffin (the only weird part would be the spike materials, but I figure they could be spikes of emerald that are wrapped in spider silk and pig leather)
    I'm picturing leather straps with the emerald spikes attached by spider silk thread.
    I had to build a tannery and slaughter a pig because the artist insisted that the leather adornments were non-negotiable. In hindsight I could have sourced some cooler leather, but I was juggling expiremental clown extraction techniques with a decent sized siege.
    Zavian wrote: »
    new Adventure Mode trailer, April 2024 release date:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29pAiUeCq4A

Is a certified IOU for 2024 Mantis-man wrestling the best gift I might receive this holiday season?

I don't know, but it is pretty high in the running.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I know that interest in Dwarf Fortress waxes and wanes, but it's weird how the new release came with a flurry of excitement and activity...and then there's only been one page of posts for a whole year.

Did the new release somehow paradoxically kill the game? At least at PA?

I know sometimes I get that sense like, I don't want to play the old version because the new version is the standard going forward, but the new version has bugs/missing features and/or isn't what I want aesthetically anymore, so I lose motivation. (I don't mean that's how I feel, but other games have done this to me.)

I mean, I haven't played for a year, same as most people it seems. I think I will play adventure mode when it comes out.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    this has always been my pattern with DF, play intensely for a few forts for a week or two, then off for a few years until the itch comes again

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 11
    this has always been my pattern with DF, play intensely for a few forts for a week or two, then off for a few years until the itch comes again

I also tend to leave my games in critical, complicated moments which makes it hard to summon the courage to dive back in or conceed defeat and start over.

My last save is me trying to safely (and repeatably) extract some FUN from the deep caverns in the middle of a siege, which still goes quite horribly about half the time.

But what am I supposed to do? Not extract the FUN? Focus on one problem at a-

Ooh, one my dozen other favorite games just got an update!

Edit: *checks the draft in his last*

Oh yeah, and save scumming to reset my clown trap would now cost me a very cool artifact. So it's like: my legendary miners OR an immaculate blue-diamond coffin to bury only one of them in? Probably the latter, but, man

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I don't have any way to play. Haven't for a long time now. I guess i could commandeer my son's PC but that seems kind of rude. I would be willing to bet that a lot of people got hyped for the steam release, but still couldn't really get into the game. It really is a steep learning curve.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    hiraethhiraeth SpaceRegistered User regular
    That was me, I have 22hrs in 'Google How To Play Dwarf Fortress' before the idea of sitting down for another session of that defeated me. And now the thought of having to do that all over again to relearn :/ I'm sure there's probably better tutorials on youtube etc now but it's still a hurdle.