As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Forspoken] Spell based shenanigans on 24/01/23

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I just put down an Earth Magic Blast Mine and then Fire Kicked an enemy onto it to trigger both explosions at once.

Viskod on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I honestly do not understand the rage this game is getting from the internet at large. I've played about an hour and it's...fine. Fun, even!

Some people are acting like this game killed their dog. It's like they've never played an average video game before.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I honestly do not understand the rage this game is getting from the internet at large. I've played about an hour and it's...fine. Fun, even!

Some people are acting like this game killed their dog. It's like they've never played an average video game before.

Average video games aren't allowed to exist anymore. Either it's the best thing ever or it's garbage and already a dead game.

I'm with you, this seems...fine, at least from the demo. Am I going to buy it at full price? Probably not, too much other great stuff to play. In a few months when it hits Steam sale? yeah, I could see myself getting 20 or 30 bucks out of this. Cringing at the bad take on American culture from a Japanese dev, enjoying the combat, getting a nice Steam sale's worth of fun out of it and moving on. It's definitely not worth all the hate.

But hey, that's the internet and has been for years now. How offended and angry can we be at everything.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    The key is to stop reading random stuff online ;)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Apparently the end of the game is kind of rushed/lame, that might have colored a good number of reviewers' overall thoughts. Also a sign of them just running out of time to really finish and polish the game.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I managed to find a disc copy of the standard edition for £50 (the digital price is a crazy £75 or something), I liked the demo, and it's been decent enough fun at only ~3 and a half hours in.

Plus, you can pet the cats, so it's an automatic GOTY contender:
    1pybke46u0r3.jpg

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    If it gets worse I haven’t seen it so I dont know what they could mean.

It’s pretty standard for people who get Isekai’d to be down on their luck when it happens.

Sure but... She could have been in the tech industry and given the layoff notice. Then on the way home her car breaks down and her boyfriend leaves her. Something like that instead of what we got.
    Yeah, I don't know why they felt they had to go with the
    homeless orphan thief trope, especially for a POC character.
    I mean, it's not that bad writing/dialogue (IMO, anyway), but it certainly could have been better, and I can see why some people might find it a bit 'cringey'.

They should have hired Rhianna Pratchett, she did good work on the Tomb Raider reboot series:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Yeah, to me this feels like a perfect storm of "game was rushed out a bit too early, needed a couple months more polish."

It seems like the dev team did the right thing and polished the shit out of the stuff you'd be spending 90% of your time in the game doing: the parkour, the movement, the battle animations, and the combat are all top notch, AAA-quality stuff.

But you're not DOING any of that in the first 2 hours. You're walking-and-talking, you're getting story setup, and I just went through a "stealth" section that felt like it was an alpha test for an unfinished section of a game 6 months away from launch. And first impressions matter a lot, so it's getting savaged by the internet at large, despite being pretty fun.....when you can do the fun stuff, which is not until Chapter 4!

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I think they also never recovered mindshare wise from that terrible in character narration trailer from a while back, which was widely mocked by a lot of people.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Modern Square Enix games always have bland or weird dialogue. It is a tradition. I guess Gary Witta did not write everything. He probably just did the main plot.

• Options
    Does the PC version of FF15 have all the DLC?

• Options
    edited January 2023
    I really love how the map isn’t overpopulated with shit. Sure there’s tons of treasure chests as a little reward for always wondering “What’s up/over/down there?”

But in terms of optional side stuff for gear and stats they are so spread out that they feel like a reward for exploring more than a Ubisoft style open world laundry list to mindlessly go through.

This open world really is a playground. I zipped past a thing I wanted to investigate because I got too caught up in swinging along the side of a high aqueduct like Spider-Man.

Viskod on
  • Options
    It seems like the NPC interaction part of the game is clunky. It is really putting people off.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    If it gets worse I haven’t seen it so I dont know what they could mean.

It’s pretty standard for people who get Isekai’d to be down on their luck when it happens.

Sure but... She could have been in the tech industry and given the layoff notice. Then on the way home her car breaks down and her boyfriend leaves her. Something like that instead of what we got.
    Yeah, I don't know why they felt they had to go with the
    homeless orphan thief trope, especially for a POC character.
    Dunno about how it might change the impression for POC characters, but:
    'Homeless' and 'orphan' are pretty common for isekai plots, as it means when they inevitably decide that they prefer this world and want to stick around (in order to justify post-game and sequels), it doesn't turn them into a heartless monster for disappearing on their family (The Owl House is a good example of what happens when the protagonist still has ties to their old home and what that does to their loved ones, but that's a whole side-plot there'd be no reason to put in the game).
    And I don't know if it'll apply here, but fantasy genre and orphan usually combine to reveal that the parents may turn out to be significant. If Frey turns out to be the kidnapped long-lost daughter of a local ruler or something, I won't be super shocked.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I went into the game thinking "Okay maybe it's a 7 but these reviews are being hyperbolic" but the more I play of this game the closer it's getting to 8. It just keeps getting better.

I've played games with fun combat but horrendous narratives that get much higher scores for no logical reason *cough* Fire Emblem *cough* and this games narrative isn't even bad, it's a fresh take because there haven't been any other big budget isekai action rpgs, let alone any game that tries to use fast paced magic based combat with so much freedom and movement. Like, the closest thing to this game would be Wizard of Legend's combat.

This isn't well trodden ground and if you stop and actually read all the lore archives the world building here is top notch despite some of the cutscenes being a little stilted.

• Options
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know I think the fact that I don't really follow games like that anymore really helps me temper my expectations.

I usually just see something then I'm like "That looks cool, can't wait for it to release."

I actually think Final Fantasy is what helped me do it lol. Cause those games took forever.

• Options
    Yeah, hype can really get out of control. Some of my favourite games just basically came out of nowhere for me, and the fact that I wasn't expecting them made them way better.
    I'm seeing increasing amounts of positive feedback from the people who've actually played this long-term, rather than the 'lol I saw a release trailer and made a meme' reactions.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    How's the pc port?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I went into the game thinking "Okay maybe it's a 7 but these reviews are being hyperbolic" but the more I play of this game the closer it's getting to 8. It just keeps getting better.

I've played games with fun combat but horrendous narratives that get much higher scores for no logical reason *cough* Fire Emblem *cough* and this games narrative isn't even bad, it's a fresh take because there haven't been any other big budget isekai action rpgs, let alone any game that tries to use fast paced magic based combat with so much freedom and movement. Like, the closest thing to this game would be Wizard of Legend's combat.

This isn't well trodden ground and if you stop and actually read all the lore archives the world building here is top notch despite some of the cutscenes being a little stilted.

I’m basically waiting for feedback/optimization on the pc port before I take the plunge, but the game was definitely on my list based on what I’d seen on it in previews and the like and I was disappointed at the reception so I’m glad to hear maybe the internet response is overblown.

Its a bit weird to me because there seemed to be a large amount of bandwagoning bagging on release and then the few days after I’ve seen a lot of “oh I played this and it’s actually good” responses in various internet places.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    How's the pc port?
    I played the demo a bit on a 1920x1080 TV with a 3080 and recentish CPU and it was totally fine

Handled me using a controller with no fuss, didn't have to muck about with any settings, didn't get mad about tabbing out, basically none of the little signifiers of a "rough" port showed up for me

There is a demo on Steam b the w

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    I love that this game uses the video game logic of if you're falling to the ground from high above, all you have to do is shoot something out to pull yourself to the ground *faster* and it negates the fall damage.

• Options
    I'm able to run this at a solid 60 fps on medium settings with a 3070 TI at 1920x1080.

I haven't had any issues with the pc port, but I'm also not trying to play this at 4k with Ray tracing

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    The biggest miss for me so far is that you're locked out of major schools of magic until you beat story bosses. In an open world game.

It almost feels like they should've made it a mostly linear experience until you get all your magic schools, and then open it up. Or put those major school unlocks out in the open world, instead.

It is a mostly linear experience until you get magic that opens up the world and the next area. It's not actually a true open world game.

Wait, is this true? I missed a few items in some of the beginning stages assuming I’d be able to trace back and get them later. Right now the game doesn’t let me backtrack but I assumed that restriction opens up later on and I could go anywhere.

Please don’t tell me I need to start over. I’m an OCD completionist so items I missed permanently even if they are not unique items are a no-no for me.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    The real problem with the game seems to be the way they handled cutscenes. They black out the screen too much and there are too many of them.

They should have did something similar to Fallout: New Vegas. Just talk to NPCs, no cutscenes.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Sometimes this game almost plays like a battle-mage type Musou game:

B)

• Options
    Drez wrote: »
    The biggest miss for me so far is that you're locked out of major schools of magic until you beat story bosses. In an open world game.

It almost feels like they should've made it a mostly linear experience until you get all your magic schools, and then open it up. Or put those major school unlocks out in the open world, instead.

It is a mostly linear experience until you get magic that opens up the world and the next area. It's not actually a true open world game.

Wait, is this true? I missed a few items in some of the beginning stages assuming I’d be able to trace back and get them later. Right now the game doesn’t let me backtrack but I assumed that restriction opens up later on and I could go anywhere.

Please don’t tell me I need to start over. I’m an OCD completionist so items I missed permanently even if they are not unique items are a no-no for me.

No it's not that kind of Linear.

It's just not totally open world in that even though they want you to deal with the Fire Tanta first, you can wander the entire world map and head to other zones instead.

You go deal with the Fire Tanta, and then you get the Fire Whip that let's you zip to high points, launch yourself into the air, and swing around like Spider Man and those movement abilities let you open up new areas to explore.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I'm able to run this at a solid 60 fps on medium settings with a 3070 TI at 1920x1080.

I haven't had any issues with the pc port, but I'm also not trying to play this at 4k with Ray tracing

I'm not exaggerating or anything when I say I'm playing on Ultra-High settings at 3840x2160 with Ray-Tracing enabled on a 2080 Ti. Are you sure you guys can’t push it up more?

Unless I’m missing some setting I don’t have enabled. But I went through all the settings and everything seems to be on max. I even have Vsync enabled.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    It is interesting that some of the monsters you fight used to be people.

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Sometimes this game almost plays like a battle-mage type Musou game:

B)

Yeah they really drive home how fucked the rest of Athia is outside of Cipal. Your first time down the cliffside only to see *ALL* of those zombies shambling up toward you I was like "holy shit is that for real? Look at all of those."

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm...Yeah you guys convinced me into giving this game a buy...right after I'm done with Fire Emblem.

• Options
    I've been sold on it, but I've been sold on it when it's on sale.
    Maybe I'd go for it now if Dead Space weren't coming out tomorrow, but it is.

• Options
    It is one of those games where the main characters are obnoxious. That did not sit well with reviewers.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It is one of those games where the main characters are obnoxious. That did not sit well with reviewers.

Thats also one of those extremely individual opinion kinda things.

Like so far Frey just talks like a pretty normal human and cuff is just like any other banter-centric sidekick character.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I downloaded the demo last night, curious to see how well it runs on my computer...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Yeah sometimes obnoxious means "a bit mouthy" and I don't necessarily mind the latter.

• Options
    I think I saw that you can turn the incidental banter down (or off?).

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I think I saw that you can turn the incidental banter down (or off?).

You can yea.

I haven't had any issues with the normal setting so far. But there is an option there!

• Options
    I thought the banter was going to be way worse than it actually was.

Frey is also not nearly as insufferable as people on the internet wanted me to believe. She's fine. Some of her swearing is hilarious, actually.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I thought the banter was going to be way worse than it actually was.

Frey is also not nearly as insufferable as people on the internet wanted me to believe. She's fine. Some of her swearing is hilarious, actually.

100% this is all because of that awful marketing trailer a while back.

Nowhere near as bad in actual practice.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.