Options

[Forspoken] Spell based shenanigans on 24/01/23

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I'm in Chapter 7 and I just saw some cutscenes that were really good. The voice acting was good, the writing was good, the character development showing in Frey was good.

I remember one review knocking the game because of a story death that’s supposedly handwaved away moments later with Frey making a joke about it and that turned out to be a gross misrepresentation at best and just an outright lie at worst.

Completely not what happens. Frey takes the consequences of her actions seriously. More seriously than a lot of other protagonists who have been better reviewed with worse writing.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I thought the banter was going to be way worse than it actually was.

Frey is also not nearly as insufferable as people on the internet wanted me to believe. She's fine. Some of her swearing is hilarious, actually.

Played the demo and yeah unless its really a huge amount worse in the main game Frey and Cuff seem fine?

My main thing is that yeah I have to run at 720p to get a decent framerate, but I am just running a 1070, so…

May pick it for for PS5 at some point.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    The demo runs pretty well on my computer with the standard graphics, which is kind of surprising. Also it's really fun! And I don't mind the banter, although I stopped before getting to any real cutscenes (if there are any in the demo). I will have to get this at some point I think....

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    I'm in the second area now and again I'm at a loss for how this open world was described as bland.
    I'm exploring the ruins of a city that looks to have partially slid down a mountainside so everything is slanted and off kilter and I'm spider man swinging along the side of the cliff hopping from toppled building to ruined walkway and the music for this area is just setting the atmosphere perfectly. This is really damn good.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Wow yea fire spells really opens up mobility.

Its funny, It's kinda good that I'm not super into the story(actual story is serviceable just the presentation issues make me less involved) because this game is already way too addictive. And if I was really into the story I'd be doing every bit of content possible and there are too many games coming out for that right now lol.

• Options
    The story escalated quickly.

Do everything you can before you return to Cipal after the second Tanta because it puts you in a situation where story wise it would feel very awkward and weird to not immediately head to the next story objective and try to explore and the next thing you know it’s final boss time.

It really feels like half of this game had to go to the chopping block because I’m at the endgame and I’ve barely touched the second area (wanted to get my water movement skill), was allowed into the third and plopped down before my objective that then locked me out of free roam and I haven’t been allowed to the fourth area yet which I guess is just for very endgame/postgame.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Do everything you can before you return to Cipal after the second Tanta because it puts you in a situation where story wise it would feel very awkward and weird to not immediately head to the next story objective and try to explore and the next thing you know it’s final boss time.

It really feels like half of this game had to go to the chopping block because I’m at the endgame and I’ve barely touched the second area (wanted to get my water movement skill), was allowed into the third and plopped down before my objective that then locked me out of free roam and I haven’t been allowed to the fourth area yet which I guess is just for very endgame/postgame.

How many hours into the game are you?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    I dunno. But I did a *a lot* of exploring in Praenost before moving on.

• Options
    If you just follow the main story I can totally see someone beating this in like 8 hours and seeing like 5% of the actual world map.

Easily 90% of the open world is just your own curiosity.

The postgame starts at Chapter 13.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Is that like the usual 'the villain is all set to summon the world-destroying monster, now is the prefect time to go play all the mini-games before fighting the final boss' thing? I've become inured to those. Yeah yeah, I've got days to live and a meteor is heading straight for us, I've got 100% completion to grind.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Not really but I won’t go into it. The story may be typical but Freys characterization is very good and very real.

I’m also wondering why this game didn’t get all kinds of praise for its complete hands off approach to their open world.

You’re not arbitrarily sent to multiple points in a zone just to make sure you see them before you do the “boss” of that area. The game is almost an Elden Ring level of “See the world if you want, we don’t care.”

You don’t have to do any Belfry’s to look around an area, you can just leave the map clouded and just wander around based on the shadowed 3D map which also mysteriously didn’t get any praise because goddamn does this game have a nice map.

But then again I saw reviews knocking the game as broken and randomly loading different models for Frey when that was just reviewers not noticing that when you’re low on health Frey is scuffed scraped and damaged.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    10 hours in, taking my sweet time and I am loving this game. All the negative stuff I see just perplexes me. It runs great, looks great, and is a ton of fun. And I really like Frey as a character.

Plus, cats. So many cats to pet. :heart:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    How does this look/run of ps5? Debating that vs pc.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    How does this look/run of ps5? Debating that vs pc.
    DF (as ever) has a good video on this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mFQQVFZXxE

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Ok 3rd magic type is my fav so far. Even the basic attacks and the combo patter feels more like magic spell casting which I am enjoying very much.

Traversal in this game is really fun. Its kinda like swinging through the city in Spider-Man in the sense that its just enjoyable to try and keep up a high pace and not stop moving.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    When you get the Water spells click the map button on the Float spell to show you were it’s Fount is.

Near this Fount, and it will show up on your map when you highlight the area by running past it to the Fount, is the Curio shop.

Save your Old Coins because this place has passive buffs you can buy that are all things you’ll want to have before it’s too late.

Like:
    Collecting Mana in an AoE around you just by running by it.
    Sleeping gives you temporary buffs.
    You can “Forage” while camping for items
    You can turn crating mats into other crafting mats in the craft menu.

And for a whopping 64 Coins a sewing kit that lets you make your own cloaks and necklaces.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It is a good game. This is one of those game where people nitpick it to hell.

• Options
    People are already explaining the ending on YouTube. The fucking game just came out.

• Options
    The story is very short.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    My only performance issue so far is switching to the map. It’s so slow I barely ever bother, which is a shame because the map is cool. Anyone else having that issue?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    72 hours to do everything.

This game was so much fun. There are so many hidden areas that are behind these tiny little paths that you could blink and you’d miss.

I’m still missing 3 achievements but two of those are easy combat things I haven’t done and upgrading all of the spells.

Easily an 8/10 game for me.

I just wish there was more story to go with the huge world. It’s like beating the story is just the first part of the game and the actual game is just playing with all your powers all over the map to your hearts content.

• Options
    Drez wrote: »
    My only performance issue so far is switching to the map. It’s so slow I barely ever bother, which is a shame because the map is cool. Anyone else having that issue?

No issue with the map here. It opens pretty much instantly for me. Are you playing on console or PC?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I haven't picked up Forspoken, but I'm getting The Bouncer (PS2, Square) vibes from it. I freaking loved The Bouncer. Visually fantastic and a lot you could dive into and unlock, but it was short and not met with critical acclaim.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I just got my external SSD. I am going to try it out with the demo. Holy crap the drive is tiny.

Edit: Yes. The demo works 10 times better with a SSD. Night and day difference.
    The first time I ran the demo with it, it crashed. It worked fine the second time.
    For some reason, my battery backup beeps when I play this game.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I looked it up. I am drawing too much power from the battery backup. I will have to try unplugging some stuff. I may just have to put the desktop computer and the monitor on it and unplug everything else.

• Options
    The demo has to be an early version. It is kind of buggy.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The demo has to be an early version. It is kind of buggy.

They have stated as such. It was a demo that was built for an event a few months ago that was then put up for the public.

Demos are basically always earlier versions just by nature of the process.

• Options
    No one told me there was a frickin' medieval folk dancing mini-game in this, however short it may be:

15+ hours in and I've finally gotten around to beating the first Tanta (Sila). The content is starting to feel disappointingly very copy-pasted and repetitive.

Once you've seen one Labyrinth, you've seen them all, only the colour of the ambient lighting changes, and the reward at the end*. A shame, really, the first one most people do, with the boss in the water, showed so much promise for potential variety.
    And a lot of the identi-kit refuges, where you sleep, feel like someone just went CTRL-V in the map editor with seemingly no thought to how it might fit in aesthetically, or practically, with the surrounding terrain.

*(I kind of feel bad for whatever poor writer was tasked with writing a sizeable chunk of lore, for each and every cloak and necklace in the game, most of which will never be read by the majority of players.)

And also why have caves as a location type/map icon then not actually make them proper caves, like in the Witcher 3, for example. That game felt a lot more hand-crafted despite being about as large in terms of landmass.
    Heck even FF15 didn't have quite this level of a proc-gen feel to it in the open-world areas, and that was made using an earlier version of this same (Luminous) engine.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    There are a couple of actual caves, and some of the labyrinths have increasing levels of traversal requirements but you’ll never have to need more than the Fire Whip.

But both of these are rare.

It really feels like they didn’t get to finish the game or their whole vision was never able to be realized.

After doing everything I just can’t help but think of all the tucked away places I went to where all I could think was “It seems like this was built for something they didn’t get to do.”

I’m very curious about the scheduled prequel DLC.

Oh and that dancing mini game returns with a vengeance in the postgame.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Finally got the final spell set!

3rd and 4th magics are my favs.

To give a better idea of the length of the game under more standard open world gameplay not at all completionist style and not particularly leisurely:

I've been rushing a little bit here and there. Skipping non-story dialogue. I'm good on nails so I haven't done any of those in a long while. Done none of the special fights(besides labyrinths). Done *maybe* 20% of the marked locations and I'm currently at 30 hours on hard. I'm right at a point I could go finish the game in probably an hour or two but now I do wanna power up my fav spells first.

• Options
    Once I learned that you don't tap the button for the primary fire of the last spell set, but you tap and then hold and Frey will finish a regular fire combo and then go into instantly charging your highest level of selected charge spell, that last set became my favorite for primary attacks with how its normal attack sets up targeting for an enhanced the charged attack.

Parkour dodging with that spell set is just brutal. You throw out the targeting shots when you dodge and then instantly go into a max level charge for your charge attack.

• Options
    Once I learned that you don't tap the button for the primary fire of the last spell set, but you tap and then hold and Frey will finish a regular fire combo and then go into instantly charging your highest level of selected charge spell, that last set became my favorite for primary attacks with how its normal attack sets up targeting for an enhanced the charged attack.

Parkour dodging with that spell set is just brutal. You throw out the targeting shots when you dodge and then instantly go into a max level charge for your charge attack.

3rd set also has a fun combo flow. The combo trigger for that one is a single projectile. So you go 1 regular attack > fully charged tier 3.

• Options
    Also, how can you not love the giant "Get Fucked" AoE Lightning dome.

• Options
    Also, how can you not love the giant "Get Fucked" AoE Lightning dome.

Lightning definitely has my favorite visual for tier 3 ultimates. I excitedly showed it to my GF when she got home from work last night haha.

• Options
    Just got to the 'bad' (I think?) ending last night.
    Fuck Athia and the people of Cipal and fuck off through Mom's portal back to New York, homeless with just the cat again. Frey just being supremely selfish and dooming Athia to Cuff/Susurrus the demon's malice.
    Surprisingly there's no trophy for it. Made a save right before 'the choice' though, so I will go back and do that, and finish the game properly tonight.

I see what you mean @Viskod about the game feeling unfinished.
    That completely un-fun, overly long, orb-chasing exposition/lore dump at the end, just stood around watching a bunch of talking magical holograms, is a really poor method of story-telling IMO.

Very happy to hear Claudia Black/Vala/Aeryn Sun's voicing/portrayal of Tanta Olas though, she's one of my favourite sci-fi/fantasy VA's from Farscape and Stargate SG1.

• Options
    Also a weird/random thing: Apparently Cipal (Athia's capital city) is a Korean swear word meaning 'shit', so whenever I try to upload a video of the game to Youtube the PS5 won't let me put 'Cipal' in the title or description. :open_mouth:

I wonder if this was some kind of purposeful in-joke on behalf of the devs at Square-Enix/Luminous Productions. :lol: Frey thinks Athia is shit, etc. :lol:

• Options
    9699DF1192B9F683F79A7D6FAE39CD748AC278DD

Best cloak ever.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    I'm guessing that's a mod? :)

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I'm guessing that's a mod? :)

No, a free thing from Amazon prime gaming.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~