Options

[Forspoken] Spell based shenanigans on 24/01/23

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Just started and so far its pretty interesting.

Your basic Isekai premise of the MCs life sucking in the real world until they get wisped away to some magic land.

Gameplay feels nice for what I have unlocked. Only thing I do wonder about is someone saying the game is pretty short if you focus the story.

So I'm wondering if it'll keep me interested outside of the main plot. We'll see.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    It is exceptionally short if you go straight from one story mission to the other.

In the course of just doing the story you might see like 5% of the world map.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Yeah so far I'm having fun just parkouring around.

It reminds me a lot of Assassin Creed Origins in that a lot of the fun is just going around finding stuff.

But I also want to start unlocking my elements.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    The awkward balance in the game regarding unlocking elements, world exploration, and story progression aside I have to give Forspoken credit for their side objective design. The map isn't totally flooded with multiples of the same kind of objective in the same areas, most areas typically just have like 1 of each type outside of the Bell Towers and each objective gives you a tangible real reward for doing it.

Even if it may seem like on objective just gives you "another necklace" or "another cloak" each of these items comes with a new passive ability that can then be put on whatever you want to wear, and there are so many Cloak and Necklace appearance types that you're almost always getting something new in terms of passive abilities or appearance.

• Options
    Yeah. Playing through it you can tell this is SE's first game of this type. It is very oddly paced even by open world standards.

I have enough experience with these kind of games that I know how to pace myself but I could see it being overwhelming to people who don't.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Hmm...not really getting the reviews.

I'm not about to say the game is amazing but it also doesn't warrant a 6/10 either.

If I had to guess as one of the first truly next gen games reviewers were looking to be wowed when for the most part its a pretty standard open world game with a cool combat system on top.

It does feel very tech demo-y at times and I do feel the whole "world where most of the population is dead" thing is a way to get out of well having to populate the world but I dunno.

I think its cause I've been trained to see 6/10 as being for really bad games that are broken in some way and it isn't really giving me that.

I can see a 7 or 8 though cause the base is interesting but I do feel there could be more

But I also remember some people having technical issues at launch which might have also been a thing.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    There's been a string of 7/10s lately that have been treated pretty badly, but had their charm

It actually makes me look forward to Saints Row a bit more, because that got mauled but may be in the same boat.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Hmm...not really getting the reviews.

I'm not about to say the game is amazing but it also doesn't warrant a 6/10 either.

If I had to guess as one of the first truly next gen games reviewers were looking to be wowed when for the most part its a pretty standard open world game with a cool combat system on top.

It does feel very tech demo-y at times and I do feel the whole "world where most of the population is dead" thing is a way to get out of well having to populate the world but I dunno.

I think its cause I've been trained to see 6/10 as being for really bad games that are broken in some way and it isn't really giving me that.

I can see a 7 or 8 though cause the base is interesting but I do feel there could be more

But I also remember some people having technical issues at launch which might have also been a thing.

There are so many areas of the world map where you think "Okay this had to have been build for some kind of story event" and nothing happens there. I don't think the world was actually meant to be totally devoid of NPCs more than I think that the team that made this game just didn't get the time and resources they needed to actually finish their initial vision.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I feel like some of it's down to the hype they gave it beforehand.
    I find a lot of games that get hyped up to be a 10 and turn out to be a 7 or 8 get treated like they're a 5 or 6.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Also I think the game might have been hurt by the pandemic.

Forspoken feels very much like a "year 1" next gen title. A new IP that the devs aren't completely finished working the kinks out of but they release it anyway usually to okay reviews and sales cause people are so hungry for anything to justify their purchase.

But we're going into year 3 and we have yet to have anything with that "wow" factor yet and many of the major releases have been cross platform so people might be getting a little frustrated.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    klemming wrote: »
    I feel like some of it's down to the hype they gave it beforehand.
    I find a lot of games that get hyped up to be a 10 and turn out to be a 7 or 8 get treated like they're a 5 or 6.

And again, their self-narrated trailer thing they did was one of the most widely mocked trailers I think I've seen for a game.

I still haven't got this as I decided to go for similarly janky open world game Ghostwire Tokyo first. I'll probably get Forspoken much further down the line at this point.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Played and beat it, this is a solid 7/10. Definitely wouldn't have spent full price on it in hindsight but after a few hours it feels really good to just move around this (very bland) fantasy world. All of the worst dialogue from the trailer is within the first hour of the game I found, where the rest of the dialogue is just perfunctory. The intro of the game taking place in New York was actually pretty good, but then once you get to Athia my excitement slowly drained. I do not like these characters or this setting, but I did like parkouring around with magic to find cats. It's probably not going to happen but I do think they could make a really good sequel to this. It is neat to see a big AAA open world game that is so female focused, it's just a shame that it's middling in almost every other way.

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I actually don't think a sequel is impossible.

The gameplay engine is fun and obviously took a lot of work. So I don't think they'll just throw it away.

It's just everything else around it that needed work. And if I had to guess a bulk of the work probably went into getting the gameplay to work so now that that is done they could you know...actually focus on making the other stuff good.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    This is the same Square-Enix who dropped Deus Ex and Tomb Raider because they were merely quite successful rather than Final Fantasy mega-successful. Unless they've got an iron-clad contract for a sequel, I won't get my hopes up.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    This is the same Square-Enix who dropped Deus Ex and Tomb Raider because they were merely quite successful rather than Final Fantasy mega-successful. Unless they've got an iron-clad contract for a sequel, I won't get my hopes up.

Eh different circumstances.

Those games were a part of a foreign branch they had been trying to get rid of for some time.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    SE is closing down the studio. Seems they'll get one more big patch out before then.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    SE is closing down the studio. Seems they'll get one more big patch out before then.

I feel this is a comment not even on just the game's sales but the entire Luminous engine. Probably all UE from here on.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    SquareEnix is losing its CEO too.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »

The guy that was pushing NFTs and other blockchain scams? Good. Bye.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

The guy that was pushing NFTs and other blockchain scams? Good. Bye.

The new guy loves NFTs even more, so.

• Options
    Oh lord.

• Options
    Have NFTs been a success for any games company?

• Options
    "Collectible" JPEGs seem to do alright, like the ones for Castlevania. NFT gaming has yet to be proved.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Currently half off so I picked it up and I go from a long parkour magic battle with a dragon dodging fireballs and making shields of rocks and tying things down with vines, to immediately captured by dudes holding pointy sticks and then an interminable stealth sequence that resets if you go one step outside of the predetermined path at the predetermined speed. This is perhaps the worst introduction to a video game i've ever seen.

I played the demo so I know this isn't what the game is but good lord none of this should have been in it at all. People talked so much about the main character being awful but no she's fine it's everyone else in this world that sucks. The dragon can have them. Let the Break Shit in, better a world without these idiots.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    People talked so much about the main character being awful but no she's fine it's everyone else in this world that sucks. The dragon can have them. Let the Break Shit in, better a world without these idiots.
    I am kind of conflicted about her, as a character. On one hand she's had a tough life and really is struggling with being practically homeless, on the other she's like the worst most entitled gen z tik-tok user stereotype that Squeenix could possibly have come up with.

And then there are some rare scenes later on, that I won't spoil for you, where she's actually written well, and I really did empathise with her. Too many cooks, in the writers room, maybe?
    I'm sure there are some players who found her wholly sympathetic, but I didn't, on the whole.

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    People talked so much about the main character being awful but no she's fine it's everyone else in this world that sucks. The dragon can have them. Let the Break Shit in, better a world without these idiots.
    Too many cooks, in the writers room, maybe?

Lol there were just two main writers, most Square games have a dozen.
    Also two no-name novices in the industry. Henning etc. did very little and just gets namedropped for cred.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    These people are more antagonistic to Frey than the mutant wolves and bears are.

• Options
    I got a decent ways into Forspoken and the biggest problem with the game is that its basically a tech demo.

Like if the systems in play were actually put inside a game and not just a big, lifeless map that you fuck around in until you're ready to advance plot I would have liked it a lot more.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    picked it up because i remembered it existed

i was lied to and somebody told me there was a cringe slider but it turns out it was just setting banter to high

actually having fun the combat is more involved than i expected and you really need the keybind space - the max difficulty defaults to no slow mo when spell swapping so you kinda have to memorise. am a bit disappointed you can't combo directly from a parkour attack from one element into tier 3 of another element's attack (it resets to 1) but maybe that comes later and you can use the swap attacks, though they need to be grounded which feels a bit limiting. still a lot more inventiveness went into this than 90% of games combat systems so having fun, and particularly appreciate flanking/backstab damage being strongly emphasised for overcoming damage resistance

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Yeah I picked this up around when it came out, played like an hour, and kind of forgot about it.

Started again a few days ago and I'm super into it. The combat is wildly fun (and I still only have the first spell set), the plot and world building are really clicking for me, and outside of the repetition of a lot of the banter (which I didn't know there was a slider for, thanks scheck) I really can't see where all the criticism came from. Sure it's could seem a little try-hard in the beginning but once Frey's character comes out a bit more, it's been fine for me.

The world seems enormous so far, but the traversal is complete blast (and again, I have very few upgrades so far) so it's been fun simply magic-sneakering all over the place. And I really dig the verticality to the map. It is sparsely populated out side of baddies, but that fits the narrative in my opinion. Anyway, I'm just getting started so there's still time for it to drop the ball, but yeah I'm really glad I gave this game another shot!

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    OK just murked my first Tanta! Sila is DOWN.

Great game so far. Though it did actually crash my ps5 (for the first time ever) after beating her. But it picked up after the battle so all is well. Now to BBQ some more weird baroque gold breakmonsters!

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 11
    I may give this game a spin on the laptop. Does the pc version have full Dualsense support? I have a PS5 controller with me.

Edit: It sounds like it does.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    It is changing the light on the controller, but I don't seem to be getting haptic feedback.

• Options
    I am not certain if the haptic feedback is working or not. The controller speaker and light are working.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I am not certain if the haptic feedback is working or not. The controller speaker and light are working.

You have to turn off Steam Input, I believe

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    It seems like the controller speaker only does Cuffs' voice. Am I right?

They missed an opportunity for it to do the spell sounds.

• Options
    I assume the idea is that the voice is inside her head. The spell sounds aren't.

• Options
    edited February 13
    I think the haptic feedback is working. I am just not feeling it. There may be a setting to crank it up.

Edit: Yeah. There is a trigger intensity setting. I bet it is set to low.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    About to go into Avoalet. This game continues to rule. The fire spells are a blast and swapping between the two on the fly, especially with the set swap move, is a blast. I also normally don't really like upgrades being related to gameplay challenges (do X ten times for Y or whatever) but it actually works pretty well here. Being able to pick and mix and match three challenges is neat, and I'm finding it actually makes me switch up my fighting style in a fun way.

This game just gets so many things right. If I ever have to pick up an item manually again it will be too soon. Tired of having to run to stuff to grab it? Well boy howdy we got a spell that does all that for you! Don't find slidey block puzzles fun? Turn them off! Too easy? OK you can pay mana to do it if you want. Whatever makes ya happy! Too much Cuff chatter? Turn it down! Turn it off! Want more? Turn it up!

The story is fine so far, not amazing not terrible. Frey is interesting enough, and so far seems to be growing as a character. But my god the gameplay is just stellar, especially as I pick up new traversal powers. Definitely ticks the Infamous/Prototype/Crackdown type gameplay that I adore.

• Options
    For some reason, the controller speaker was turned down in windows.

I will have to try Hogwarts Legacy again with Steam Input switched off. The Dualsense might work now.