Options

Favorite Borderlands playable cast?

2»

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I prefer the original cast, but that likely has to do with just being the one I spent the most time with.

Also I can still remember the feeling of turning the game on and being greeted by Cage the Elephant and that opening cinema. What an amazing vibe they had back then...

Which they just drove into the fucking ground with the humor and quips.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Borderlands 2 Cast
    Suppose you jam all the characters into a game, which ones would keep up their power levels and which ones would be left behind? I think the original four would need some boost to keep up (isn't Axton basically Roland++?) I only played one game, so I don't know how much overlap they made with the other games' characters.

And which four would be the most fun to blast through Pandora with, gameplay-wise? Triple Siren sounds kinda neat.

The original 4 would need a whole revamp and even 2 and the presequel would have trouble keeping up with 3 just because they have so many more skills to work with

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Borderlands 3 Cast
    I haven't played much of 3 but I picked it because Buff Lady & ProZD

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Borderlands 2 Cast
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I prefer the original cast, but that likely has to do with just being the one I spent the most time with.

Also I can still remember the feeling of turning the game on and being greeted by Cage the Elephant and that opening cinema. What an amazing vibe they had back then...

Huh.

I 100% agree, the vibe of the original was exceptional, even though Borderlands 2 was, at least to me, a better game, and much more fun.

The reason I'm commenting, though, is that I'd only heard that song on the radio and never looked up the band and always thought they were called Cagey Elephant.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

Huh.

I 100% agree, the vibe of the original was exceptional, even though Borderlands 2 was, at least to me, a better game, and much more fun.

The reason I'm commenting, though, is that I'd only heard that song on the radio and never looked up the band and always thought they were called Cagey Elephant.

That whole album is really good, I recommend checking it out

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I've heard a lot of bangers I otherwise would never have come across from the Borderlands games and trailers. Whoever's picking 'em is pretty good.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Hm. I feel like 1's cast has the best like, actual character writing from their appearances in 2. But 2's hunters are the one's I've spent the most time playing as by a longshot, and that counts for a lot in how much I care about them. But I really like the character concepts in 3 and they're by far the most fun to play. Hm, I dunno how to choose between that.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    2 also had something that it employed really, really well to keep player interest - biome diversity. The first game was mainly desert with patches of beach or elemental caves, and a snowy bit near the end.

The sheer map variety, pathing and verticality of 2 made it so that something new was juuuust around the corner.

The pacing is really, *really* good for such a lengthy campaign.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Borderlands 2 Cast
    It's a pity about the story and time cuts because mechanics wise 3 is probably the best

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Cast
    It's a pity about the story and time cuts because mechanics wise 3 is probably the best
    Yeah, you can tell there was a lot of stuff left on the cutting room floor.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Borderlands 3 Cast
    There are individual characters that I love way more from the other series, but after looking at them as a whole, I strangely settled on 3. It is like the team where they were all above average to good, whereas the others had like one or two superstars and a bunch I really didn't like.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Yeah, you can tell there was a lot of stuff left on the cutting room floor.

Not even limited to stuff from the main game. I think people found files pointing to entire planned DLCs that got cut. Offhand I think people found files relating to one about Captain Scarlett returning, one about infiltrating a scamming cult, and another Dragon's Keep DLC (though that one probably ended up getting spun off into the Wonderlands game).

• Options
    Oh yeah, I did want to ask if anyone had played New Tales from the Borderlands and how that cast did?

I imagine since I haven't seen a lot of discourse about that game that they didn't really measure up to the original cast, but did they do okay at least?

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    New Tales is pretty bad.

I tried to enjoy it. Some of the humor hits. But the overall quality of the game is very low.

The cast is okay at best, and that's me being generous.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Borderlands 2 Cast
    Maya, hands down, I cannot play Borderlands 2 as anyone else, or I just constantly think, "I wish I was playing Maya."

Borderlands 3 spoiler:
    I completely lost interest in Borderlands 3 when she was killed. Won't ever finish it. Don't care. Franchise is over as far as I'm concerned.

I only got part way through BL3 - which I enjoyed for the most part - but Christ, the series is just awful with how disposable it treats a lot of its characters

BL2 spoilers:
    I'm specifically thinking of Roland, who from what I remember, is just shot and dies and is gone (like, I was literally expecting him to pop back in as a surprise at some point later in the game, because of just how brushed aside his death seemed, but nope) and Angel, who needed to be killed because reasons

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Borderlands 2 Cast
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    Maya, hands down, I cannot play Borderlands 2 as anyone else, or I just constantly think, "I wish I was playing Maya."

Borderlands 3 spoiler:
    I completely lost interest in Borderlands 3 when she was killed. Won't ever finish it. Don't care. Franchise is over as far as I'm concerned.

I only got part way through BL3 - which I enjoyed for the most part - but Christ, the series is just awful with how disposable it treats a lot of its characters

BL2 spoilers:
    I'm specifically thinking of Roland, who from what I remember, is just shot and dies and is gone (like, I was literally expecting him to pop back in as a surprise at some point later in the game, because of just how brushed aside his death seemed, but nope) and Angel, who needed to be killed because reasons

Regarding the spoilers
    Roland's death was fine to me because it was unexpected and to this point he was the most stable cast member. Roland got shit done everyone else was a mess. Him dying was the rest of the og hunters realizing they needed to get their shit together
    When it happens to a character in 3 it's clear they just did it for shock value.

Angel was already dying from the eridium and killing her was at the time the best way to stop Jack as he needed a siren to use the key. Lilith fucked that up

King Riptor on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022

Borderlands 3 spoiler:

BL2 spoilers:

Regarding the spoilers
    Roland's death was fine to me because it was unexpected and to this point he was the most stable cast member. Roland got shit done everyone else was a mess. Him dying was the rest of the og hunters realizing they needed to get their shit together
    When it happens to a character in 3 it's clear they just did it for shock value.

Angel was already dying from the eridium and killing her was at the time the best way to stop Jack as he needed a siren to use the key. Lilith fucked that up

Comparing 2 and 3:
    Roland's death is also impactful. He gets his own eulogy from all of the townsfolk and such.

Maya dies and then is forgotten about in the span of a minute. She is never even mentioned again.

Arteen on
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Arteen wrote: »

Borderlands 3 spoiler:

BL2 spoilers:

Regarding the spoilers

Comparing 2 and 3:
    Roland's death is also impactful. He gets his own eulogy from all of the townsfolk and such.

Maya dies and then is forgotten about in the span of a minute. She is never even mentioned again.
    It's so bad, GB knew they fucked up so we got this later on.

Also DLC4, to a lesser extent.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Borderlands 2 Cast
    It's so obvious they made that last minute lol it's almost word for word what people thought that scene should have been

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Axton is my bland boy. Utterly desolate as a personality, but finding ways to put turrets in more and more ridiculous places during a fight was an absolute blast.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Borderlands 2 Cast
    Axton is my bland boy. Utterly desolate as a personality, but finding ways to put turrets in more and more ridiculous places during a fight was an absolute blast.

He's a himbo for sure. also his dialogue is bugged or something so he doesn't say as much as the others.
    Turrets syndrome bombing still makes me laugh though

• Options

He's a himbo for sure. also his dialogue is bugged or something so he doesn't say as much as the others.

That's who I played too, but wasn't there something with his wife?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Huh.

That whole album is really good, I recommend checking it out

Borderlands 1&2 also introduced me to The Heavy ('How You Like Me Now' (BL1 end credits song) and 'Short Change Hero' (BL2 intro song))

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    That's who I played too, but wasn't there something with his wife?

From what I remember, his wife was his commanding officer at Dahl and discharged and divorced him at the same time. She did end up saving his life (off screen) during a mission in one of the headhunter packs, though.

Also Axton had a bug where when reviving downed allies where he would play the flirty voice line intended for Maya for everyone instead. Instead of fixing it, they decided to leave it and have him be bisexual instead.

The writer of Borderlands 2 has also said that Maya is asexual, but I don't know if anything indicating that made it into the actual games.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Borderlands 2 Cast
    Regarding BL3 and what we've been talking about:
    You know, Gearbox had the most incredible setup to an ongoing narrative. Lilith and Maya broing it up as they wreck all the dystopian corporate shit. Even if neither were playable characters anymore, THAT'S all that Borderlands needed to be going forward. Lean into the siren story hard, and have the players be in service to their bromance through as many sequels as they want to crank out. I wouldn't have cared how cheesy it was, it's really all I wanted from Borderlands after 2.

Just, this for all eternity, is all I wanted:
    58213afad0caf3dc6e25ccf78af42d8e.jpg

Sigh

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Borderlands 2 Cast
    3 saying the Raiders all split up was the biggest waste of potential and frankly makes me like pre sequels story even less

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I prefer 3 simply because I find Jack so tediously awful and unfunny, but yeah, they could have done so much more.

• Options
    Lars wrote: »
    The writer of Borderlands 2 has also said that Maya is asexual, but I don't know if anything indicating that made it into the actual games.
    She specifically cares about Krieg, and he's got as close to a crush as he can get on her, but there wasn't anything sexual/lustful about their relationship.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Borderlands 2 Cast
    Lars wrote: »
    She specifically cares about Krieg, and he's got as close to a crush as he can get on her, but there wasn't anything sexual/lustful about their relationship.

I would say Kreig is at least aware he can't ever really have a normal relationship with anyone and his attraction to Maya is more complex.
    In the DLC she literally leaves an echo of herself in his mind so he's definitely important to her

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Borderlands 2 Cast
    I was disappointed that they dropped / retconned the storyline from the pre-sequel. I was looking forward to antics with Athena and the Guardian.

• Options
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    I was disappointed that they dropped / retconned the storyline from the pre-sequel. I was looking forward to antics with Athena and the Guardian.

I want to say there was a developer quote somewhere that the "war" the Watcher was gathering Vault Hunters for hasn't happened yet, so presumably it's still on the horizon. I also wonder if they'll remember that sick girl the Watcher was mentioned saving in a Pre-Sequel sidequest will be remembered or not.

In other news, I bought Wonderlands during the Steam Sale and was surprised they start you out with 36 backpack slots instead of the traditional 12. Turned out to be a good thing though, as I've already filled it with vendor trash and haven't seen a single vendor yet.

• Options

I think it's funny seeing him described this way because for me his defining characteristic is "literal war criminal".

• Options
    Most of the characters borderlands universe aren't good people, it's all relative.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Can we all agree that Handsome Jack is Elon Musk?

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Borderlands 2 Cast
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Elon Musk wished he could be as witty and charismatic as Handsome Jack.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Agreed, and I think Jack is painfully unfunny

• Options
    Plus Jack is actually smart, unlike Elon.

sig.gif
  • Options
    All of borderlands after one is just wasted potential.
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Agreed, and I think Jack is painfully unfunny

I thought Handsome Jack was easily the worst part of Borderlands 2 and I'd still prefer him to Elon.

• Options
    Most of the characters borderlands universe aren't good people, it's all relative.
    Yeah, but I think most of the vault hunters are still fairly sympathetic characters. Like, Roland leaves the lance because he refused to fire on civilians, Salvadore leaves his home after he's nearly executed for defending his grandmother from other town members who tried to kill her, Maya escaped from the theocracy that was using her as a propaganda tool. But Axton was just enough of a ruthless glory hound that even Dahl was like "this is causing us problems," and got rid of him, and he doesn't really have any redeeming qualities. And to me that's what's fun about his character, he feels like he could be a secondary or tertiary antagonist in another shooter but this time he is somehow a PC.