Options

William Gibson predicted the downfall of [Twitter] in one of his books, right?

19495969798100»

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    What's weird about cook out?

You are cooking

Outside

Uriel on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I think I would call barbecue the event

Like, a barbecue is a party wherein you cook burgers and hot dogs on the grill

I would say we're having a cookout if it's grilling. If we're smoking a whole hog then it's a pig pickin'. If we're having barbeque then I would just say exactly that. Not having a barbeque.

Alright pig pickin is a new one I'll admit

That's the classic way to do NC BBQ. Pull your meat right off and douse it in your vinegar or vinegar and tomato sauce depending on if you're out east or out west.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Wait how is mayonnaise pronouced then Maynayz?

With an 'on' in the middle

Madness.

How do you pronounce the shorthand version Mayo? You just say May?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

You are cooking

Outside

I mean it makes sense, sure

'Course I can't think of much other outdoor events aside from a barbecue, so I don't see why you wouldn't just call it what it is

• Options

You are cooking

Outside

'Course I can't think of much other outdoor events aside from a barbecue, so I don't see why you wouldn't just call it what it is

But if you aren't making BBQ

Just grillin some burgs and hotdogs?

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    3wo7cqtuqqca1.png

Wait I've seen the documentaries, this means he's about to get eaten by something doesn't it?

That was his brother, the other Attenborough, and he's already dead

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

You are cooking

Outside

But if you aren't making BBQ

Just grillin some burgs and hotdogs?

Yeah, that's what you cook at a barbecue

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    To me, a cookout implies a gathering where there's a big grill and everyone's wandering around outside playing games or whatever. Barbecue can be an element of that, but that's different, in my mind.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

You are cooking

Outside

For some reason this made me think about that part in Face/Off where Nic Cage is like, "I want to take his face... Off."

And I says to myself, I says, "It'd be pretty funny to take a screencap of that scene and toss it in MSPaint and have some fun with it." But the results disappointed. Not only does it barely scan as a joke, it also looks kinda filthy if you only give it a quick glance

sgdz4nwz36ks.png

Ah, well. Live and learn.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Cookout is used here, but also barbecue is used interchangeably with grilling

• Options
    yeah barbeque is like a category of food one would maybe prepare at a cook out.

• Options

You are cooking

Outside

For some reason this made me think about that part in Face/Off where Nic Cage is like, "I want to take his face... Off."

And I says to myself, I says, "It'd be pretty funny to take a screencap of that scene and toss it in MSPaint and have some fun with it." But the results disappointed. Not only does it barely scan as a joke, it also looks kinda filthy if you only give it a quick glance

sgdz4nwz36ks.png

Ah, well. Live and learn.

you want to take his what out

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    we're having barbecue = "yum sounds good"
    we're having a barbecue = "ok, i'll probably stay in the AC most of the time tho"

• Options
    his cook???????

This discussion has been closed.