Options

William Gibson predicted the downfall of [Twitter] in one of his books, right?

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I’ve worked software QA for over a decade. Twitter’s environment idiocy is one of the least surprising things I’ve learned about their operations in the past week.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I don’t think the spyware thing, which was from the whistleblower report, was necessarily a right thing.

A lot of interested parties for getting hooks into large US tech companies.

Where can I see said Twitter whistle-blower report info?

I believe this is the same report that came out when Elon was still trying to weasel his way out of buying twitter?

The bottom of this, probably pay walled, article links the 84 page pdf

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/interactive/2022/twitter-whistleblower-sec-spam/

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    snek
    ai9mmostm4jj.jpg

Here's one with a little bit of (blurry) tongue action but it also looks like I have kidnapped you, strapped you to a table, and am about to take immense pleasure in watching my snake devour you whole.
    oclanwu7507o.jpg

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    That's some quality snek blep there, thank you.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    I’ve worked software QA for over a decade. Twitter’s environment idiocy is one of the least surprising things I’ve learned about their operations in the past week.

Some executive got a big bonus for the brain genius idea of saving money on eliminating those maintenance costs

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Some executive got a big bonus for the brain genius idea of saving money on eliminating those maintenance costs

as long as they had stock options, every dumbass decision they made paid off big time when Musk had to buy the company for $Stupid.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Greater fool theory is always theoretically in play.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    78qlrcgkq21p.png
    Stolen from the d&d musk thread

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Talisker exhibiting some concern about the robot vacuum cleaner doing his rounds

yewa2p6jf42i.jpg

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Does not having a test environment mean no testing can be done on software updates? How would that not have caused some huge, if perhaps brief, problems with live Twitter due to some unforeseen dependency that was messed with?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    snek
    ai9mmostm4jj.jpg

Here's one with a little bit of (blurry) tongue action but it also looks like I have kidnapped you, strapped you to a table, and am about to take immense pleasure in watching my snake devour you whole.
    oclanwu7507o.jpg

Oh wait, I get it now. Sir Fabulous is the snake! Makes sense now.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Septus wrote: »
    Does not having a test environment mean no testing can be done on software updates? How would that not have caused some huge, if perhaps brief, problems with live Twitter due to some unforeseen dependency that was messed with?

Just from four months ago: https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/twitter-down-users-reports-widespread-errors-for-social-service-1235337196/
    About 35 minutes later, Twitter said it had fixed the problems. “We made an internal systems change that didn’t go as planned and have rolled it back,” @TwitterSupport tweeted. “Twitter should now be loading as expected. Sorry about that!”

Edit: Another one from a couple years back https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/twitter-says-massive-outage-caused-by-inadvertent-systems-change/
    "The recent issue was caused by an inadvertent change we made to our internal systems," Twitter said in a tweet. "Twitter should be working for everyone within the next few hours."

I found records of other outages, but the articles didn't state that it was specifically due to a botched change

Quantum Tiger on
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Wrong thread.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Working on A+ and came across this amusing quote in the textbook:

"People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we don't."
    --Bjarne Stroustrup, creator of C++

*stares very very meaningfully at Musk*

• Options
    Mercutio87Mercutio87 So build that wall and build it strong cause We'll be there before too longRegistered User regular
    In case there was any doubt what Twitter is rapidly morphing into,
    Yoel Roth, Twitter’s former head of trust and safety, and his family were forced from their home after Elon Musk’s tweets misrepresented Roth’s academic writing about sexual activity and children. The online mob also sent threats to people Roth had replied to on Twitter, forcing some of Roth’s family and friends to delete their Twitter accounts, according to a person familiar with Roth’s situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity due to concerns about Roth’s safety. Musk’s followers also directed harassment at professors who reviewed the dissertation that Roth wrote in 2016, as well as at his graduate school, the University of Pennsylvania, the person said.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/12/12/musk-twitter-harass-yoel-roth/

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Freedom of reach, you say...?

• Options
    Musk just needs everybody to know he’s the smartest and funniest boy, and will bully anyone that threatens that

• Options
    I wonder if that’s an archetype

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I wonder if that’s an archetype

idiot bully? course it is

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Mercutio87 wrote: »
    In case there was any doubt what Twitter is rapidly morphing into,
    Yoel Roth, Twitter’s former head of trust and safety, and his family were forced from their home after Elon Musk’s tweets misrepresented Roth’s academic writing about sexual activity and children. The online mob also sent threats to people Roth had replied to on Twitter, forcing some of Roth’s family and friends to delete their Twitter accounts, according to a person familiar with Roth’s situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity due to concerns about Roth’s safety. Musk’s followers also directed harassment at professors who reviewed the dissertation that Roth wrote in 2016, as well as at his graduate school, the University of Pennsylvania, the person said.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/12/12/musk-twitter-harass-yoel-roth/

Yes, 'becoming' not already was.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

thread from the managing editor at platformer, yet more "shit is fucked because everyone who knew what they were doing is gone" stuff

• Options
    To be honest I'm amazed twitter is still around it was like a month ago people were saying it could shut down with a couple days.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    To be honest I'm amazed twitter is still around it was like a month ago people were saying it could shut down with a couple days.

I’ve always thought some of the doomsaying was exaggerated, but the firings and the number of employees seemed like hard data, and the company shrinking that fast did make me think that maybe there would be some technical consequences, so I’m a little surprised there hasn’t been a major outage yet

I guess raw inertia can keep a machine running for a good long while

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

The claims that the moderation is find and dandy are very unbelievable

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular

yeah its almost like internet handwringing over twitter is misinformed and overblown

• Options
    Twitter is acting like you would expect a company ran by a man child to act

https://www.platformer.news/p/how-elon-botched-his-war-on-bots
    On Sunday, Elon Musk tweeted a vague warning: “the bots are in for a surprise tomorrow.” He didn’t say what the surprise was. But in the hours that followed, Twitter blocked traffic from roughly 30 mobile carriers around the world, effectively cutting off access to hundreds of thousands of accounts, primarily in the Asia-Pacific region, including vast swaths of Russia, Indonesia, India, and Malaysia.

The project was part of Elon Musk’s attempt to rid Twitter of spam. But rather than work to remove individual offenders, the company identified mobile networks associated with large spam networks in specific countries, and blocked users who relied on those networks from receiving SMS messages from Twitter, impacting people with two-factor authentication. Then it blocked traffic from those carriers completely.

From 5:35 AM to 6:45 AM PT on Sunday, Twitter shut down access to the primary telecom providers in India and Russia, as well as the second biggest telecom company in Indonesia, Platformer has learned.

Almost immediately, complaints started to roll in, as legitimate users found they were unable to access Twitter.
    The company quickly unblocked the carriers, and told them the service issues were due to “routing configuration changes.”
    In an interview with the Wall Street Journal published today, Irwin tried to spin Twitter’s increasing reliance on automated systems as “biasing towards moving quickly and figuring out the details in some of these areas after.”

But the truth is that Twitter has little choice but to rely on automated tools: it continues to fire employees seen as insufficiently loyal to Musk, even if they do crucial work for the company.
    On Friday, Musk sent an email to Twitter employees threatening to sue people who leak confidential information to the press, Platformer was the first to report. “If you clearly and deliberately violate the NDA that you signed when joining Twitter, you accept liability to the full extent of the law and Twitter will immediately seek damages,” he wrote. Employees had until 5 PM PT on Saturday to sign a pledge indicating they understood.

Some Twitter employees failed to respond because they were not checking their email over the weekend. On Sunday, they found their access to Twitter’s systems had been cut off.
    So they clearly put in no thought into what blocking all those would do

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »

yeah its almost like internet handwringing over twitter is misinformed and overblown

I don't understand. I was getting all my news from a very reliable source (Twitter).

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I wonder if it's a coincidence that Ukraine just happened to not be on the list of countries.

Then again, apparently Norwegian government accounts were checkmark-verified as Nigerian government entities, so it might just be regular incompetence.

• Options
    "Ukraine? Oh you mean the region of Russia called 'The Ukraine.' I dunno, I'll have to check with Vladimir if it's ok."

• Options
    edited December 2022

Imagine being that full of yourself

Couscous on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Musk must be absolutely the most boring human being to talk to in the world. Even his insanity is basic as fuck.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Musk must be absolutely the most boring human being to talk to in the world. Even his insanity is basic as fuck.

Shit like "The ratio of digital to biological compute is growing exponentially" is both really silly and also really freaking boring

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    For someone who claims social media (and Twitter specifically) is “eroding civilization”, this motherfucker sure does tweet constantly. Like holy shit dude, would it kill you to take like a 3 hour break?

How do you work at/run three companies and still sit on Twitter all god damn day?

Edit: oh, wait, he said “were.” So I guess the implication is that now that he’s here Twitter is good, actually.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    For someone who claims social media (and Twitter specifically) is “eroding civilization”, this motherfucker sure does tweet constantly. Like holy shit dude, would it kill you to take like a 3 hour break?

How do you work at/run three companies and still sit on Twitter all god damn day?

Edit: oh, wait, he said “were.” So I guess the implication is that now that he’s here Twitter is good, actually.

Without oversight, every hour is a billable one

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://twitter . com/elonmusk/status/1602734819225571328

sl7r05aa6qdk.png

Imagine being that full of yourself

This is the closest anyone has ever come to being a Bond villain.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Couscous wrote: »

what a fucking tool

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Would you tell someone in a hospital to yank out their IV? Or an addict to give up their next fix?
    He needs this, man.

• Options
    The implication* of that is Twitter was driving cancel culture and taking out titans of industry, so he needed to take Twitter over with the intention of starting a reactionary backlash to re-establish the social heirarchy

*not even sure it’s subtext, but I’m not clicking any embeds to read the whole chain to confirm

Also, what’s so special about self-sustaining Mars, we have a better planet right fucking here!!!

• Options
    The idea of a self sustaining Martian colony is just such complete nonsense that it is clearly just his fantasy of being some kind of superheroic great man

This discussion has been closed.