Options

William Gibson predicted the downfall of [Twitter] in one of his books, right?

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    It's very funny to act like getting to Mars will 100% insure humanity from existential crises.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    That’s what gets me. He’s so obsessed with getting humanity to the point of having a habitable, self-sufficient Mars.

Which is great. That’d be cool, sure, whatever. There are worse things for billionaires to spend their money on. I mean, there are plenty of better things, but there are worse ones.

But the only reason that makes sense as an end goal is if you believe the earth is either

A. Beyond salvation, environmentally. It clearly isn’t, and some of your billions could help with that, but if you thought that, then what would stop Mars from having the same fate?

Or B. Overpopulated, and in need of somewhere for the population to spread out to. But isn’t his whole brain worm thing all about how we desperately need to counteract the apocalypse scenario of a dwindling population?

Orrrrrrr is all the repopulation talk actually just about class and/or a little bit of race because he thinks the right people aren’t having enough babies?

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I think climate change and the unsustainability of wealth inequality/infinite growth economies are far greater threats to civilization than people yelling at the dipshits causing those issues when they tell offensive jokes but I don’t put shitty cars into space

• Options
    Someone write me an extension that replaces the word “Mars” in every Musk tweet with “Rapture”

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    For someone who claims social media (and Twitter specifically) is “eroding civilization”, this motherfucker sure does tweet constantly. Like holy shit dude, would it kill you to take like a 3 hour break?

How do you work at/run three companies and still sit on Twitter all god damn day?

Edit: oh, wait, he said “were.” So I guess the implication is that now that he’s here Twitter is good, actually.

Without oversight, every hour is a billable one

Actually, given how much money he's losing on Twitter and Tesla tanking hard, this might be the first time in his life he's actually being paid accurately for the value of his labor.

No wonder he hates the concept.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Any sort of ideas about off world survival currently are firmly ultrarich fantasies about insulating themselves from climate disaster at the expense of the poors

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Doesn't it make way more sense on every level to just fix Earth?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    The implication* of that is Twitter was driving cancel culture and taking out titans of industry, so he needed to take Twitter over with the intention of starting a reactionary backlash to re-establish the social heirarchy

*not even sure it’s subtext, but I’m not clicking any embeds to read the whole chain to confirm

Also, what’s so special about self-sustaining Mars, we have a better planet right fucking here!!!

It’s more of his “woke mind virus” bullshit, which is just a rebranding of 90s-2000s era Right Wing “political correctness” bullshit

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Long long term if humans are to continue getting into space is a must, but getting to Mars doesn’t solve the sun turning into a red giant, which is like, the big reason humans need to get off of earth.

Short term, yeah, we have much bigger local climate issues to address. Red giant is a billions of years from now problem.

Of course, that’s only if you think that like, the long long term survival of humanity is particularly important, which, I don’t really think it is?

Like, help people here and now and reduce suffering and better quality of life and all but, if humanity exists a billion years from now? Meh.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Doesn't it make way more sense on every level to just fix Earth?

yes but (scammer reason) that would mean being closer to having to actually do something rather than just pontificating, and (rich person reason) most actions to fix Earth would benefit everyone more or less equally without the ability to monetize the benefits or exclude people who can't pay, and we can't have that. Much better to build a paradise somewhere else and charge admission/rent.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I better not die before Musk Ill tell you that right now as a threat to anyone reading this I just better fucking not die before Elon Musk

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Lanz wrote: »
    The implication* of that is Twitter was driving cancel culture and taking out titans of industry, so he needed to take Twitter over with the intention of starting a reactionary backlash to re-establish the social heirarchy

*not even sure it’s subtext, but I’m not clicking any embeds to read the whole chain to confirm

Also, what’s so special about self-sustaining Mars, we have a better planet right fucking here!!!

It’s more of his “woke mind virus” bullshit, which is just a rebranding of 90s-2000s era Right Wing “political correctness” bullshit

The problem they have with political correctness is when it’s used to tell (usually white/cis) dudes to stfu

They’re more than happy to use it for their own ends in shutting down anyone that challenges them

This is all a giant fucking baby tantrum over being told to respect other people, which is a slippery slope to those people gaining the power to tax and redistribute

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    What's even funnier about all this is that in real terms "colonizing" mars isn't much easier than "colonizing" some large asteroid we find on a fairly stable orbit. And with that we could at least mine the shit out of it for material outside of a roughly equally deep gravity well.

Mars is a dead planet and we're several magnitudes of logistics and technology from changing that. We should be working on some kind of genetic "lifeboat" but that can exist underground much easier than in space and the main advantage of being up there is that you're already up there the deltaV has been burned.

The goal should be to be building stuff in space, not jamestowning ourselves on a desert less hospitable than antartica.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    It would be much easier to just colonize Antarctica

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    It would be much easier to just colonize Antarctica

You leave those penguins alone!

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I find if someone uses the word woke (in it's right wing non original meaning) I can immediately write them off as an absolute wanker and disregard all of their opinions.

Unfortunately someone I have to sit near to at work probably says woke three of four times per shift and I aside from making excuses to go to the toilet I have to sit there and listen to their diatribe.

It's very exhausting.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular

THEN WHY DID YOU BUY A SOCIAL MEDIA COMPANY FOR 44 BILLION DOLLARS YOU FUCKING ENORMOUS PLUM?

• Options
    Id think colonising an asteroid would be easier than Mars because you wouldnt be shackled by evil fucklord gravity as are all us poor dirt serfs

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Id think colonising an asteroid would be easier than Mars because you wouldnt be shackled by evil fucklord gravity as are all us poor dirt serfs

Except we kind of need gravity

• Options
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    I find if someone uses the word woke (in it's right wing non original meaning) I can immediately write them off as an absolute wanker and disregard all of their opinions.

Unfortunately someone I have to sit near to at work probably says woke three of four times per shift and I aside from making excuses to go to the toilet I have to sit there and listen to their diatribe.

It's very exhausting.

in a lawsuit against (about?) DeSantis's "anti-woke" laws, his lawyers recently had to define in court what "woke" means; IIRC they landed on "the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them."

yeah, what a monstrous belief.

• Options
    Hey look! Look whos stickin up for Elon Musk! Hey everybody come get a load of Orca they loooooooove Elon they're gonna go to mars together and get married under christ!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    orca i thought better of you really

married and all

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Moon first, it's right next door.

(But treaty says he can't own it and everyone there, so that's out.)

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Living in the dang ocean would be easier and it's right there.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

THEN WHY DID YOU BUY A SOCIAL MEDIA COMPANY FOR 44 BILLION DOLLARS YOU FUCKING ENORMOUS PLUM?

Because only he alone can fix it all, duh

• Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Don't tell elon. He might try to terraform the ocean.

• Options
    SEALAB 2023

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    The thing that gets me with the focus on Mars is that Mars is a dead rock. No matter how much we fuck up Earth it will be 1 billion times more habitable than Mars.

Like Mars straight up does not have a magnetic field around it. Any colony we have there is going to be an infinitely harder life than one on Earth.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options

Fuck it, might as well go full Rapture

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    The thing that gets me with the focus on Mars is that Mars is a dead rock. No matter how much we fuck up Earth it will be 1 billion times more habitable than Mars.

Like Mars straight up does not have a magnetic field around it. Any colony we have there is going to be an infinitely harder life than one on Earth.

Yes but you see Elon Musk is an incredibly unimaginative nincompoop.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Olivaw wrote: »
    To be honest I'm amazed twitter is still around it was like a month ago people were saying it could shut down with a couple days.

I’ve always thought some of the doomsaying was exaggerated, but the firings and the number of employees seemed like hard data, and the company shrinking that fast did make me think that maybe there would be some technical consequences, so I’m a little surprised there hasn’t been a major outage yet

I guess raw inertia can keep a machine running for a good long while

Elon and the people still there have a vested interest in keeping the website afloat, so while it's likely due for a major failure, it's not like it's going to kill the website in one blow. Twitter might go down, but Musk will overwork whoever is left until it's back up.

Twitter won't ever "die," it might just become so shitty and broken that most people don't really want to use it anymore, but that's a process that will take years. Granted, Musk seems determined to get that speedrun world record, but twitter is going to be around for awhile, yet.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

Fuck it, might as well go full Rapture

"I'm Elon Musk, and I'm here to ask you a question: Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?"

(so tempted to 'shop the whole thing up as a series of tweets)

• Options

yeah but James Cameron secretly owns the ocean

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

Except we kind of need gravity

centripetal force go brrrrrr

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    mars is so not happening that it's a great giveaway that someone is an idiot

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Like I'm generally 100% pro doing fun things in space because space is the entire rest of the universe and it by definition contains a ton of very interesting stuff that I would like everyone to have a chance to see as soon as possible. But you need real Star Trek level shit before you hit "Finally we don't need to worry about Earth" level of human expansion into space. A single supernova in the wrong place wipes out every nearby star system in an instant. There are basically random super-lasers firing in all directions all over the universe all the time, you really need to have hit like Culture level comfort with space before you can be like oh no worries if earth gets hit by an asteroid.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    SharpyVII wrote: »

It's very exhausting.

in a lawsuit against (about?) DeSantis's "anti-woke" laws, his lawyers recently had to define in court what "woke" means; IIRC they landed on "the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them."

yeah, what a monstrous belief.

So if you believe "Cancel Culture" is an injustice in American society that needs to be addressed...

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Musk is a guy who referred to his shitty self driving algorithm as "semi-sentient"

Like pretty much every grandiose statement he makes just shows how much of an idiot or huckster he is
    Our cars are semi-sentient robots on wheels. With the full self-driving computer, the inference engine on the car, which we’ll keep evolving obviously… neural nets, recognizing the world, understanding how to navigate through the world… it kinda makes sense to put that into a humanoid form.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/13/technology/elon-musk-twitter-shakeup.html
    Musk Shakes Up Twitter’s Legal Team as He Looks to Cut More Costs

Twitter has stopped paying rent on offices and is considering not paying severance packages to former employees, among other measures.
    To cut costs, Twitter has not paid rent for its San Francisco headquarters or any of its global offices for weeks, three people close to the company said. Twitter has also refused to pay a $197,725 bill for private charter flights made the week of Mr. Musk’s takeover, according to a copy of a lawsuit filed in New Hampshire District Court and obtained by The New York Times.

Twitter’s leaders have also discussed the consequences of denying severance payments to thousands of people who have been laid off since the takeover, two people familiar with the talks said. And Mr. Musk has threatened employees with lawsuits if they talk to the media and “act in a manner contrary to the company’s interest,” according to an internal email sent last Friday.
    With Twitter drained of legal talent from layoffs and departures, Mr. Musk has sought lawyers from his other companies, including rocket maker SpaceX, to fill the void. More than half a dozen lawyers from the space exploration company have been given access to Twitter’s internal systems, according to two people and documents seen by The Times. SpaceX employees who have been brought in to Twitter include Chris Cardaci, the company’s vice president of legal, and Tim Hughes, its senior vice president and general counsel.
    Mr. Musk’s team is now reconsidering whether it should pay some of those months, according to two people familiar with the discussions, or just face lawsuits from disgruntled former employees. Many former employees still have not received any paperwork formalizing their separation from Twitter, five people said. Mr. Musk has already refused to pay millions of dollars in exit packages to executives he claims were terminated “for cause.”

As Twitter has downsized, Mr. Musk’s team has been hoping to renegotiate the terms of lease agreements, two people familiar with the discussion said. The company has received complaints from real estate investment and management firms including Shorenstein, which owns the San Francisco buildings that Twitter occupies.
    On Sunday night, Mr. Musk sent two emails to Twitter’s staff with advice about how to work for him that he had previously shared with SpaceX and Tesla employees. One message focused on first principles thinking, a worldview based on the teachings of Aristotle to reduce assumptions to basic axioms, which Mr. Musk credited with helping him make difficult decisions. The other advocated against workplace hierarchies.
    just the biggest garbage person

Couscous on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    One weird trick to save money. Debt collectors hate him. Just stop paying your bills!

This discussion has been closed.