As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    what happened to the tv show anyway

did anyone watch it

It was fucking bad

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5JviLRgXes

never really played these games but

in the original dead space, isaac was like a classic gordon freeman-style voiceless character, right? never actually speaks, but everyone pretends that he does?

and then from dead space 2 he starts talking, but it's mostly during scripted sequences instead of like... being able to choose options from a dialog wheel

Also he'll start cursing a lot if you repeated stomp on something.

Just a great videogame stomp!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

did anyone watch it

It was fucking bad

Everything without Master Chief was like watching S4 of The Expanse minus the nuance. They even got Burn Gormann as a minor villain.

Everything with Master Chief didn't feel like Halo.

A true misfire.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I love when people see everything they don’t like as a solvable problem with just more people and/or more money.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I just need 5000 devs to work full/part time on my new gang of daggers MMO, why isn't anyone volunteering for this??

p.s. I can't pay any money

Brolo on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I just need 5000 devs to work full/part time on my new gang of daggers MMO, why isn't anyone volunteering for this??

p.s. I can't pay pay any money

I'll do the volunteer accounting work, and volunteer to make the determinations of how much work everyone else has done

Now this is just some back-of-the-envelope math, but it looks like the accounting department is doing... 90% of the work? I mean think about it, without MY contributions, NOBODY would be getting paid, ya know? I think this is only fair.

Poorochondriac on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Balance on roguelites is so weird and particular

Loved Hades, saw end credits, had a blast running the same areas over and over

Returnal, though. Felt to me too intense, like I had to maintain too sharp a focus for too long a stretch, and the permanent unlocks felt too underpowered and too spread out, and I couldn't jive with the gameplay loop for any more than, like, three days. It was too demoralizing to start fresh.

Thinking on it more, I wonder how much of my Hades appreciation was impacted by the downtime also being fun. Like, when I died, the sting was ameliorated by the idea of new conversations with my cool weird friends, or the possibility of a cool new treat back at base. With Returnal, dying meant... Running out of the door in the starting area and getting back to the grind.

A thing that hades does that other roguelikes need to pick the fuck up on is weaving a narrative into the experience. A rewarding narrative. Not just window dressing like into the breach. Because you hit the nail on the head: the downtime is fun. Trying to decide which person to drop your gifts on is rewarding. Seeing Zagreus being a catty little dick to all of the bosses is great. The continued development based on winning and losing the fights is amazing!

Hades did so much right and whenever I see a new roguelike and it like, obfuscates what the items do or just has zero plot or interesting character interactions, I feel like I'm going from an SNES to an ATARI 2600 in terms of design philosophy.

This is also why I am enjoying Circus Electrique over Darkest Dungeon. The downtime is interesting, and I find the narrative servicable. ( the actual plot isn't anything special per se, but I think the writing and voice acting are pretty good)

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    How many developers does it take to make an MMO sounds like a setup for a joke but I can't be bothered to figure out a punchline

edited January 2023

If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket after deciding not to buy a certain wizard game, I put together a quick thread of awesome games by trans developers you could buy instead.

Play better games AND materially support people who need it! Everyone wins.
    Let's start HARD with UNSIGHTED. One of the best indie games of 2021. Part Zelda, part Dark Souls, a dash of Majora's Mask, and all very gay. By a duo of trans women.

more in thread, they're good games!

Brolo on

If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket after deciding not to buy a certain wizard game, I put together a quick thread of awesome games by trans developers you could buy instead.

Play better games AND materially support people who need it! Everyone wins.
    Let's start HARD with UNSIGHTED. One of the best indie games of 2021. Part Zelda, part Dark Souls, a dash of Majora's Mask, and all very gay. By a duo of trans women.

more in thread, they're good games!

Ah, fuck. I bought Get in the Car, Loser it the second it came out, because Hate and Hate Plus are fucking incredible, but I never actually played it. And now this Twitter thread is telling me it has FFXIII-inspired combat??? I gotta bump that up my playlist, do it as a palate-cleanser after Wrath of the Righteous.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    As someone who really likes all the individual parts of Halo Infinite, it is astounding to me how bad the support for that game has been. I still don’t know how bad the technical side must be for 343 not to just churn out maps for the multiplayer, but it must be pretty bad. And now this! This isn’t gonna help!

There’s no way Microsoft abandons Halo, but this is… really strange treatment for the developer of their marquee franchise! You’d think they’d be throwing money at it to get it where it needs to be, safeguard the brand and all
    They're also letting off people from the Starfield team, which just... whaaaa? You're taking people off one of the biggest games of this year? That's a choice.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    As someone who really likes all the individual parts of Halo Infinite, it is astounding to me how bad the support for that game has been. I still don’t know how bad the technical side must be for 343 not to just churn out maps for the multiplayer, but it must be pretty bad. And now this! This isn’t gonna help!

There’s no way Microsoft abandons Halo, but this is… really strange treatment for the developer of their marquee franchise! You’d think they’d be throwing money at it to get it where it needs to be, safeguard the brand and all
    They're also letting off people from the Starfield team, which just... whaaaa? You're taking people off one of the biggest games of this year? That's a choice.

Clearly they decided it's big enough already.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular

Infinite not launching with Firefight was a fucking crime and basically meant once I completed the campaign I never played the game again.

Was never a fan of Halo MP (it feels too bullet spongey to me).

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    First impressions of Persona 3 Portable on PC:
    • WOW the audio quality on the voices and sound effects are DOGSHIT, like the voice performances seem fine enough but it's so hissy and clicky and crunchy
    • Great title screen, not amazing intro
    • WORK THAT BODY MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HURT NOBODY I SAID HEY HEY
    • Junpei sucks ass
    • SO DANCE I WANNA PUT YOU IN A TRANCE
    • NEVER FELT LIKE DUNDUNDUN DUN DUN
    • Man this is a lot harder than 4 and 5 lmao
    • Junpei really sucks shit, good lord
    • Akihiko and Mitsuru seem cool
    • the fact that EVERYTHING is VN and not animated sucks, even the intro with you leaving the train and seeing Yukari try the Evoker for the first time is done in this, your first Persona awakening is just the chibi battle models jerkily animating around, it's not great
    • though it does make it a lot easier to mash through dialog since there's no animations that it won't let me skip lmao

Crippl3 on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Karl wrote: »

Infinite not launching with Firefight was a fucking crime and basically meant once I completed the campaign I never played the game again.

Was never a fan of Halo MP (it feels too bullet spongey to me).

i didnt expect a firefight mode since it hasnt been in every game. But no coop at launch was the sign that something went insanely wrong with that development and it was a miracle they pulled it out of a nosedive well enough to make it a decent game.

I think the combination of initially trying to make it fully open world, engine problems to do with that shift, and covid, just fucked them. So many game devs get way too ambitious and underestimate how hard it is to make an open world, it doesnt seem so but can often mean a radically new type of game from what they were making before especially in terms of development problems. Combined with straddling two systems, and intending to launch on xbox one, it was lucky we got a game as good as it was. Which is why i was hoping they could reconstitute going forward, i dont know what these firings mean for any prospects, could be negative, or could just be usual corporate bullshit

The firings at Coalition are worrying, because theyve been solid with Gears 4 and 5.

Prohass on
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    A friendly reminder that the female MC is the better way to play P3P

- different writer! Less of the weird -phobic events!
    - there is a transphobic event that happens on the male beach day that does not happen on the female
    - characters approach you differently and generally are not creeps!
    - you have more social link options than just dateable ladies
    - Theo, the Velvet Room guy, is a fucking weirdo and it rules

Asterisk here that I haven't played it for several years, mind

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    persona 3 tartarus bosses are so much harder

i still don't think it's a game where you need to grind, so long as you don't actively avoid fights, but a lot of the tartarus bosses in particular feel like puzzle bosses with solutions

it's the only thing from that game i really miss in 4 and 5

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Balance on roguelites is so weird and particular

Loved Hades, saw end credits, had a blast running the same areas over and over

Returnal, though. Felt to me too intense, like I had to maintain too sharp a focus for too long a stretch, and the permanent unlocks felt too underpowered and too spread out, and I couldn't jive with the gameplay loop for any more than, like, three days. It was too demoralizing to start fresh.

Thinking on it more, I wonder how much of my Hades appreciation was impacted by the downtime also being fun. Like, when I died, the sting was ameliorated by the idea of new conversations with my cool weird friends, or the possibility of a cool new treat back at base. With Returnal, dying meant... Running out of the door in the starting area and getting back to the grind.

A thing that hades does that other roguelikes need to pick the fuck up on is weaving a narrative into the experience. A rewarding narrative. Not just window dressing like into the breach. Because you hit the nail on the head: the downtime is fun. Trying to decide which person to drop your gifts on is rewarding. Seeing Zagreus being a catty little dick to all of the bosses is great. The continued development based on winning and losing the fights is amazing!

Hades did so much right and whenever I see a new roguelike and it like, obfuscates what the items do or just has zero plot or interesting character interactions, I feel like I'm going from an SNES to an ATARI 2600 in terms of design philosophy.

This is also why I am enjoying Circus Electrique over Darkest Dungeon. The downtime is interesting, and I find the narrative servicable. ( the actual plot isn't anything special per se, but I think the writing and voice acting are pretty good)

CE is really cool but I also loves me some darkest dungeon to absolute death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGFYUw2e1Vk
    Get ready for the ULTIMATE tower defense onslaught. Build, deploy, research and upgrade your defenses in this epic, old school RTS inspired sci-fi adventure.
    20230119 2112TD: Tower Defense Survival (Strategy Tower Defense Action Singleplayer)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgprK4TfFg8
    Colossal Cave is an exciting point & click adventure into a mysterious cavern - a re-imagining of the celebrated text adventure by Will Crowther & Don Woods. Acclaimed game designer Roberta Williams brings you her vision of the game that inspired her to create her own legendary games.
    20230119 Colossal Cave (Point & Click Adventure Exploration Atmospheric )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4yvH1x0Nlo
    A slice-of-life adventure game with beautiful pixelart set in the late 90s rural Indonesia that tells a story about overcoming anxiety, depression, and the relationship between a boy and a girl with supernatural powers
    20230119 A Space for the Unbound (Pixel Graphics 1990's Exploration Atmospheric )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sILZVisMOh0
    Slash your way through Estencel! Traverse across a corrupted, maze like city fighting horrors. Customize and arm yourself into the ultimate monster killing assassin in this fast paced Dark Fantasy Action. Solve the mysteries of this world before they swallow you whole.
    20230119 Estencel (Souls-like Dark Fantasy Difficult Atmospheric )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz-N11WE3VQ
    If I say there’s an hour “hidden” between one day and the next... would you believe me? Master the power of the heart, Persona, and uncover the tragic truth of the Dark Hour.
    20230119 Persona 3 Portable (RPG Story Rich Anime Turn-Based Combat )

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    persona 3 tartarus bosses are so much harder

i still don't think it's a game where you need to grind, so long as you don't actively avoid fights, but a lot of the tartarus bosses in particular feel like puzzle bosses with solutions

it's the only thing from that game i really miss in 4 and 5

I mean, I think the original 5 and a bit of 5R had puzzle bosses in some of the dungeons, right?

Also one boss in 5R is a "puzzle" in the sense that he's easier on the hardest difficulty than he is on Normal/Hard, which is cute.

I ate an engineer
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Jagged Alliance 3 | Legacy Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a9oprKEl8A

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Excited to pick up the persona bundle on switch and disappear into a cave for months

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Cello wrote: »
    A friendly reminder that the female MC is the better way to play P3P

- different writer! Less of the weird -phobic events!
    - there is a transphobic event that happens on the male beach day that does not happen on the female
    - characters approach you differently and generally are not creeps!
    - you have more social link options than just dateable ladies
    - Theo, the Velvet Room guy, is a fucking weirdo and it rules

Asterisk here that I haven't played it for several years, mind

*You can """""romance""""" the 10 year old that joins your team!
    (it's still better though)

captaink on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

did anyone watch it

It was fucking bad

Everything without Master Chief was like watching S4 of The Expanse minus the nuance. They even got Burn Gormann as a minor villain.

A true misfire.

Didn't feel like Halo is entirely subjective. It felt very Halo to me.

But truly the non MC plot was very bad.

steam_sig.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i would not want to be the sad ass mother fucker who was known as the nft god

i don't care how many girls it gets me

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

did anyone watch it

It was fucking bad

A true misfire.

Man, I thought the stuff without Master Chief was the only interesting part of the show. Even the other Spartans were more compelling. I mean, none of it was actually good, but I was at least a little bit interested in some of those characters.

A Space for the Unbound looks like one I'll have to check out

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I wish news like this would be the end of crypto, but I just saw some articles yesterday about Disney and National Geographic's forays into crypto. Just fucking die already. PLEASE

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

did anyone watch it

It was fucking bad

A true misfire.

Man, I thought the stuff without Master Chief was the only interesting part of the show. Even the other Spartans were more compelling. I mean, none of it was actually good, but I was at least a little bit interested in some of those characters.

The non MC stuff started out interesting to me. I was very excited to see things from the perspective of folks whose lives were negatively affected by the use of the Spartans as an internal police force before the Covenant showed up. But I felt like most of the execution of all those side plots really suffered by halfway through the series.

steam_sig.png
    Yeah, that's the thing. It started off with the (admittedly cool) idea of showing how fucked up the whole Spartan program is, from all sides. But it never really did anything interesting or made the obvious real world commentary that it was thiiiiiiis close to. It just petered out as a total wet fart. It got about a third of the way to some cutting social commentary and then decided "naaaah, let's go touch magic rocks instead."

I just thought MC's bits never even started off all that engaging.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's the thing. It started off with the (admittedly cool) idea of showing how fucked up the whole Spartan program is, from all sides. But it never really did anything interesting or made the obvious real world commentary that it was thiiiiiiis close to. It just petered out as a total wet fart. It got about a third of the way to some cutting social commentary and then decided "naaaah, let's go touch magic rocks instead."

They had a decent perspective on that stuff, but the execution was just dire

The special effects looked fake, the characters were underdeveloped, and they had no idea how to pace out their story beats. He loses the helmet in the first episode?? Even the goddamn Mandalorian waited until the season finale!

Also how do you make a Halo show and have the music be so lame? Truly insulting

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited January 2023
    The fact that the effects, set designs, and costumes on a Halo show that probably had 10 or 20 small fortunes invested into it looked substantially worse than what The Expanse was doing even when it was back on Syfy is something that absolutely blows my mind.

minor incident on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Halo show had the shell of decent ideas executed in shockingly bad ways in most cases. Like, the way the plot worked out led you to believe that the abusive fascist government may have had some pretty good points, that's how incompetent the execution was. Sure they experiment on and emotionally manipulate the Spartans, but when the Spartans push back on that, they become super powered criminals or so useless they get absolutely everyone killed by aliens. It's really bad when the characters who are trying to become more human and push back against the evil systems in their world are written so poorly they are near universally despised by the audience.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

They forgot the main thing of showing Master Chief being Master Chief before he started doubting himself and the program. And also the higher ups in the UNSC who did bad things are too cartoonishly over the top bad and takes away from the idea of the spartan program being nefarious, it was just too obviously bad.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

"It's all a bit messed up how easy it is for cryptocurrency investors to have their entire livelihood bulldozed like this over a couple of small mistakes."

Is that a tweet from a random cryptobro or NFT enthusiast? Nope, that's commentary from the writer of the article.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited January 2023

They forgot the main thing of showing Master Chief being Master Chief before he started doubting himself and the program. And also the higher ups in the UNSC who did bad things are too cartoonishly over the top bad and takes away from the idea of the spartan program being nefarious, it was just too obviously bad.

They're not even bad in like... utilitarian evil ways, they're evil in dumb ways. They have a suspect in custody with potentially valuable information and then that person refuses to do PR for them. "Okay, cancel the debrief/interrogation, KILL THEM RIGHT NOW." Why?? That's more stupid than evil? Even from like... a cleanup standpoint why would you want to have a bleeding dead body on a troop carrier instead of like... whatever place on the base you wanted?

It's also laughably inconsistent. Episode 1: "Master Chief disobeyed a direct order!"
    "We can't allow that! Send 57 men and two tanks to either take him into custody or KILL HIM."

Episode 5:
    "Master Chief disobeyed orders during a battle, leading to the loss of the primary objective and the deaths of a bunch of people."
    "Well... tell him he'd better not do that again."

shoeboxjeddy on
This discussion has been closed.