As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I haven't tried the new mode but Hitman 3 is a fantastic conclusion to the trilogy with several of my favourite maps in the franchise.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    anyway i get prickly over "dragon's crown...TOO SEXY???" discourse because like, it seemed so surreal to single out compared to the wider field of video games. and so random compared to what gets a pass. an adult woman having large breasts is scandalous while the skintight catsuits of teenagers strutting and posing in internet darling persona 5 is normal. i was so mad at the time because i had been frustrated with the sexism in GTA5 and how it wasn't being talked about by the media i wanted to consume, and then they all turned around and started talking about the problems with some niche import title, and i wanted to flip my lid. and then it all started feeling like how people will bring up games like galgun or dead or alive and go "oh ho ho those japanese are such perverts am i right?"

which is mostly just me thinking out loud and introspecting cuz i'm like "man i bring this up a lot"

i got over the giant boobs angle when i realized how hilarious and realistically they animated them; that lady does NOT enjoy those giant breasts when she's running

but the "touch the sexy lady picture on the tits or vagina and she moans" is straight up creepy to me, REALLY creepy

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXUbKKomqew
    ATONE is a Norse mythology-inspired, hand-drawn game that blends interactive storytelling and complex puzzles with a rhythm game combat system. Inherit the role of a young warrior named Estra as she journeys through Midgard to unveil the truth behind her father’s death
    20230127 ATONE: Heart of the Elder Tree (Adventure Story Rich Puzzle Rhythm Combat)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tls3Wx_M4A
    The sci-fi survival-horror classic returns, completely rebuilt to offer an even more immersive experience — including visual, audio, and gameplay improvements — while staying faithful to the original game’s thrilling vision.
    20230127 Dead Space (Horror Third-Person Shooter Shooter Space )

• VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    The big Hitman 3 update comes out today where they rename it to Hitman: World of Assassination and add the Freelancer mode and safe house and all of that.

So like, what's the verdict on Hitman 3 and things? my nebuluous impression is "Good"? That it might be worth grabbing on this special?

Good, like the last 2 hitmen. I'd been holding off buying it since it's on game pass and they had an overly complicated purchase system to link the old content. But it looks like they've finally fixed that with the new update.

steam_sig.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The big Hitman 3 update comes out today where they rename it to Hitman: World of Assassination and add the Freelancer mode and safe house and all of that.

So like, what's the verdict on Hitman 3 and things? my nebuluous impression is "Good"? That it might be worth grabbing on this special?
    Are you asking about Hitman 3 specifically, or the entire World of Assassination trilogy?

Hitman (2016) was one of my absolute most-played games of 2017 (which is when I bought it). Stealth games are probably my favorite genre of game, but I somehow managed to overlook the Hitman franchise - I played the demo for... Hitman 2, I think it was, in prehistoric times, and was so overwhelmed and intimidated by the demo that I bowed out of the franchise entirely. It seemed like this massive clockwork system with so many moving parts, and I had no idea how to approach it.

Now, over a decade later, that's exactly what I love about the WoA trilogy. The clockwork mechanisms are still big, but I now see how I can meticulously pick them apart piece by piece. At the same time, the fact that the game specifically invites you run through each level multiple times (to see the different story beats happening in the level, but also to complete various challenges) reeeeeally helped me get over my OCD perfectionist thing of "perfect stealth, non-lethal-only, otherwise I'm a failure". There is no one "canonical" play-through of a level, so while I still tend to prefer the silent assassin play style, I now also feel free to do more chaotic and careless runs.

As for Hitman 3 specifically, I can't tell you much because I still haven't finished sucking the marrow from Hitman 2's bones yet. I had a kid since I first fell into Hitman (2016), and have less opportunity to just disappear into a game, but the series is still one of my favorite and most-played ones; I just want to finish a certain amount of stuff in Hitman 2 before I move on to 3. I did play some of the maps in 3 in the non-story modes (both as player-created Contracts, and in the Elusive Target play mode), and found them largely excellent.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    If the gameplay of Hitman: World of Assassination appeals to you, it literally has hundreds of hours of content at this point.

It's one of my all-time favorite games.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    anyway i get prickly over "dragon's crown...TOO SEXY???" discourse because like, it seemed so surreal to single out compared to the wider field of video games. and so random compared to what gets a pass. an adult woman having large breasts is scandalous while the skintight catsuits of teenagers strutting and posing in internet darling persona 5 is normal. i was so mad at the time because i had been frustrated with the sexism in GTA5 and how it wasn't being talked about by the media i wanted to consume, and then they all turned around and started talking about the problems with some niche import title, and i wanted to flip my lid. and then it all started feeling like how people will bring up games like galgun or dead or alive and go "oh ho ho those japanese are such perverts am i right?"

which is mostly just me thinking out loud and introspecting cuz i'm like "man i bring this up a lot"

i got over the giant boobs angle when i realized how hilarious and realistically they animated them; that lady does NOT enjoy those giant breasts when she's running

but the "touch the sexy lady picture on the tits or vagina and she moans" is straight up creepy to me, REALLY creepy

IIRC, all of those dungeon scenes where you're talking to a character allow you to tap on the character (This was a Vita game remember) and they would make a little reaction, a little grunt or what have you. Where you tapped them made no difference, except that in some of those dungeon scenes tapping on specific objects or things the character is wearing might get some narration about them.

The difference of course being how the male and female NPCs in these scenes would be portrayed, but the "This game is a digital molestation simulator!" stuff was basically always a bad faith take on it imo.

I also wanted to comment on how much IO enjoys watching people break the game with Hitman.

The homing briefcase glitch got patched, but then they added one special briefcase that still did it for people that enjoyed it.

Then yesterday's patch they said that they realized they accidentally fixed the muffin glitch when fixing something else, but they enjoy watching people's videos with the muffin glitch so much that they're going to patch it back in as soon as they can.

(The muffin glitch involved throwing a muffin at the ground in the right spot to then use the debris of the broken muffin to boost yourself onto walls or geometry you're not normally able to).

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I also wanted to comment on how much IO enjoys watching people break the game with Hitman.

The homing briefcase glitch got patched, but then they added one special briefcase that still did it for people that enjoyed it.

Then yesterday's patch they said that they realized they accidentally fixed the muffin glitch when fixing something else, but they enjoy watching people's videos with the muffin glitch so much that they're going to patch it back in as soon as they can.

(The muffin glitch involved throwing a muffin at the ground in the right spot to then use the debris of the broken muffin to boost yourself onto walls or geometry you're not normally able to).

This is known within the community as "muffin topping" or "topping" for short. So if you ever see anyone online talking about how much they love topping, that's what they're referring to

edited January 2023
    Here's a video somebody made a few weeks ago where they offered $1000 in prize money for the fastest times (and most creative) ways of completing a custom contract they made on the Miami level. It features people using a lot of different methods and glitches:

(snip)

Note: I've only watched this video from this youtuber, so I don't know if they are human cancer like a lot of youtubers turn out to be, so apologies if that is the case.

Edit: Turns out he's trash.

Lars on
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    All of the Hitman trilogy games are utterly incredible. Their only downside was that, unless you love doing side content or repeating missions to master them, they were a bit expensive for just a playthrough.

So the current sale of literally all three of their deluxe editions for £30 is crazy good.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    After three games have come out and I've played through and watched quite a few streamers play through many hours of the hitman trilogy, two-handing a fire extinguisher over head into someone's face is still hilarious.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code

I remember watching a speedrun of the Colorado level that was just a bit over a minute long. Colorado is one of the more disliked levels, because it's very locked down and has very few exits, so there's a lot less room for experimentation and free-form screwing around. The runner finished the level largely from the area around the entrance to the level. This was mostly done through some precise sniping, but the thing that made it possible was throwing a muffin on the ground and standing on the debris to boost yourself up a few in-game inches so you could see over a barrier in the distance and be able to snipe the right spot.

This is known within the community as "muffin topping" or "topping" for short. So if you ever see anyone online talking about how much they love topping, that's what they're referring to
    Pooro.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

I know nothing about how games are made and this kind of physics jank fascinates me. Why and how is that a thing? It reminds me of how people discovered in RDR2 if you stood in a certain spot on a certain bridge and fired your gun at the ground it would catapult you into the air and allow you to get to the Mexico part of the map which is usually out of bounds.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    What? Pooro is providing us with useful information. I'm gonna go ask my friends if they wanna top with me right now!

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

IIRC, all of those dungeon scenes where you're talking to a character allow you to tap on the character (This was a Vita game remember) and they would make a little reaction, a little grunt or what have you. Where you tapped them made no difference, except that in some of those dungeon scenes tapping on specific objects or things the character is wearing might get some narration about them.

The difference of course being how the male and female NPCs in these scenes would be portrayed, but the "This game is a digital molestation simulator!" stuff was basically always a bad faith take on it imo.

agreed about the simulator horsecrap but it wasn't everywhere and it wasn't just a little grunt. the one guy you could do it to grunted if you touched his chest, the women moaned and it was only on the torso/genitalia

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Also IIRC the first person you encounter that this can happen to is chained up or in a cage or something for that scene.

steam_sig.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

Are you asking about Hitman 3 specifically, or the entire World of Assassination trilogy?

Hitman (2016) was one of my absolute most-played games of 2017 (which is when I bought it). Stealth games are probably my favorite genre of game, but I somehow managed to overlook the Hitman franchise - I played the demo for... Hitman 2, I think it was, in prehistoric times, and was so overwhelmed and intimidated by the demo that I bowed out of the franchise entirely. It seemed like this massive clockwork system with so many moving parts, and I had no idea how to approach it.

Now, over a decade later, that's exactly what I love about the WoA trilogy. The clockwork mechanisms are still big, but I now see how I can meticulously pick them apart piece by piece. At the same time, the fact that the game specifically invites you run through each level multiple times (to see the different story beats happening in the level, but also to complete various challenges) reeeeeally helped me get over my OCD perfectionist thing of "perfect stealth, non-lethal-only, otherwise I'm a failure". There is no one "canonical" play-through of a level, so while I still tend to prefer the silent assassin play style, I now also feel free to do more chaotic and careless runs.

As for Hitman 3 specifically, I can't tell you much because I still haven't finished sucking the marrow from Hitman 2's bones yet. I had a kid since I first fell into Hitman (2016), and have less opportunity to just disappear into a game, but the series is still one of my favorite and most-played ones; I just want to finish a certain amount of stuff in Hitman 2 before I move on to 3. I did play some of the maps in 3 in the non-story modes (both as player-created Contracts, and in the Elusive Target play mode), and found them largely excellent.

The whole WoA thing!

Looks like i should strongly consider dropping the money on it then.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Also, Ooof.

KSP2 has started to release details, and this makes me wince:

"Kerbal Space Program 2 will be releasing in Early Access on February 24th, 2023, for an introductory price of $49.99" (Taken from here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3DgZsrA-xQ )

50 fucking USD for the early access. That's not a small amount! That's not a small amount *at all*.

I think i'm gonna adopt a strong "wait and see" approach. I am very, very keen on KSP2 in theory, but i'm real worried it's going to be a hot disaster in some fashion. On the other hand: More KSP! KSP that includes stuff like interplanetary travel and hopefully having well, more ofa game to it, things to actually do with the cool stuff i built! (Because let's be real, there's only so many times you can aggressively lithobreak into the mun before it gets boring).

I know nothing about how games are made and this kind of physics jank fascinates me. Why and how is that a thing? It reminds me of how people discovered in RDR2 if you stood in a certain spot on a certain bridge and fired your gun at the ground it would catapult you into the air and allow you to get to the Mexico part of the map which is usually out of bounds.
    I'm not a games programmer, just a regular-ass boring programmer, so I don't know the specifics, but some guesses would be:
    - To simulate ReALiSm, the muffins (and a few similar items, if I remember correctly) don't just fall down on the ground like rubber toys, they break into pieces. In order for them to break and crumble into pieces in a ReALiStiC manner, the individual chunks were probably modeled as physics objects (i.e. entities that occupy physical space, are subject to the rules of the physics engine, and have collision boxes), rather than purely-visual things that look a certain way but that have no physical substance and that you can just walk through.
    - Because muffin chunks stick around on the ground instead of vanishing immediately, and because they are physics objects, you can interact with them - like, apparently stand on them when you walk over them.
    - The Hitman games don't have a jump button, it's against the law for assassins to jump, so I'm guessing the engine proooobably isn't meticulously careful about preventing certain types of collisions that might happen if the player leaves the ground.
    - Since the muffin apparently allows your character to reach a slightly higher-than-normal elevation, and since the muffin is an object that you carry around and throw yourself to generate this extra elevation wherever you want, players can create a scenario that wasn't really intended/accounted-for by the developers by putting the muffin debris in some weird spot and exploiting glitches in the physics engine (clipping, "climbing" up walls, whatever the the heck).

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    yeah Hitman 3 is excellent, tons of content, a couple of the best maps in the series (Berlin and Chongqinq), Freelancer mode is great, it's a fantastic game. And now that it comes with 1 and 2 it's a no-brainer.

Crippl3 wrote: »
    yeah Hitman 3 is excellent, tons of content, a couple of the best maps in the series (Berlin and Chongqinq), Freelancer mode is great, it's a fantastic game. And now that it comes with 1 and 2 it's a no-brainer.

The one thing that's fucking with me is which version are you supposed to buy? Just hit man 3? But there's this deluxe version too? And other Stuff Junk TM?

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I overall did not particularly care for the missions in Hitman 3 as much as I did the previous 2 - I think several of them had a much more gimmicky solve than usual, as well as stuff like being more tied to the narrative in a way that makes replay weirder and the traditional Hitman absolute dogshit final mission finally showed up

It's still a good game and a solid conclusion to the trilogy though

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Nvm someone answered this question

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Delduwath wrote: »

The whole WoA thing!

Looks like i should strongly consider dropping the money on it then.
    They periodically do a thing where they make one of the levels (and a bunch of the content for it) free to play for a weekend, or a week, or whatever (not sure). I also see that Hitman 3 has a "Download Demo" option (not entirely sure what the demo has, though). I would very much recommend you give this a try; I tried the demo for Hitman (2016), and was hooked almost immediately.

I really love how the WoA basically trains you to play each level. Like I said, they're all big, baroque, clockwork devices with lots of things going on: NPCs with schedules, events that happen throughout the level (some of them repeating, some of them happening once at a specific time), in-game objects that can be interacted with to change the level, all this stuff. It's can be overwhelming for someone who's just starting out. So, to help the starting player, each level has 3-5 "Story Missions". These are basically mini plot-lines that happen in the level, and which will happen either without your involvement, or that you can trigger. The target has scheduled a meeting with a journalist for an interview; the IT guy is allowed to go into the Big Boss's office if the Wi-Fi goes out; the target is hosting a private auction and one of the guests lost their invitation; etc. All of these Story Missions reveal a little bit of the overall "plot" of the level (you typically pick up the "story" in chunks and pieces, and assemble the bigger picture as you replay the level), and they give you an opportunity to get close to the target (or to at least enter a restricted zone that the target is in). If you want, you can select one of these Story Missions before you even play the level, and it'll basically give you a breadcrumb trail with location markers when you're playing. This is almost like a "Story Mode" in like a tactical RPG, in that you don't need to "solve" the level, you mostly just need to show up and just bop someone on the head at the right time.

If you don't want that guiding hand, you don't have to select a Story Mission before you start a level, and you just pop into it cold. Explore at your own pace. However, you will sometimes come across items or vignettes that the UI will tell you is an Opportunity: a lost auction invitation sitting in a bathroom, a frantic journalist talking to her producer on the phone saying that her camera lens is busted and she can't do the interview, etc. If you want, you can activate the guide for one of these Opportunities when you come across them, and at that point it's basically the same as the Story Missions - you just stumbled across it organically. But! You also don't need to activate the in-game breadcrumbs - if you overhear the journalist saying she needs a camera lens, you can just go off on your own and see what happens if you find one in the level and hand it to her.

Once you've exhausted these Story Missions/Opportunities that are explicitly designed by IO Interactive, you can pop open the Challenges menu for a level and see what's there. Each level will have some standard challenges that are always the same (kill the target by electrocution; kill the target by drowning; put on every disguise in the level; kill the target without being spotted; etc), but each will often have level-specific challenges. Kill two of the targets at the same time by having a train hit them? Drop a speak on the target? Push one target off the balcony so they fall on the other target, killing both at the same time?!?! How do you do any of that? So now you need to explore this large toybox of a level, figure out what the target schedules are, what the interactable parts of the environment are, figure out how you can make targets deviate from their schedules to go to specific places so you can drop boats on them or whatever. If you did the Story Mission part, you will already know some of the paths through the level, and you'll have the confidence to explore and experiment, knowing that at worst you can always just fall back on something you already practiced.

Once you've exhausted all the challenges (which will take forever, I've been playing for years and still haven't done this), you can leave the story part of the game and check out the player-created contracts. These are set in the same levels as the "main" game, everything is completely the same, but instead of assassinating the amoral, embezzling CEO, you have to assassinate the target(s) picked by a player; sometimes, they will specify additional criteria (don't get spotted; do it wearing X disguise; use method Y to assassinate; etc). A contract can only be created and uploaded if they creator themselves can complete it, so you know that anything you play is at least feasible.

Anyway, yeah, I think this game is super-well designed. It's not flawless, there are some maps that are way more frustrating than others, and there are some challenges that are way more bullshit than others, but the vast majority is, I think, extremely good. Try the demo.

Here's a video somebody made a few weeks ago where they offered $1000 in prize money for the fastest times (and most creative) ways of completing a custom contract they made on the Miami level. It features people using a lot of different methods and glitches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZptPBz9gp_c

Note: I've only watched this video from this youtuber, so I don't know if they are human cancer like a lot of youtubers turn out to be, so apologies if that is the case.

Atrioc is a big business/marketing guy (but not crypto) but he's fine, been watching his Hitman speedrunning and content for almost two years now.
    His first Hitman speedrunning contest is also worth a watch, which was a contract on Sapienza, for the origin of TuplaPekoni and the super violin boost
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYAhAtiPgrY

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Those thumbnails are establishing an unsettling trend.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh man if the rest of the remake is as redone as lovely as the initial section the dead space remake is fucking aces. Like they didn't just upgrade the graphics, they updated the gameplay and room lay outs. Also some of the dlc suits for preordering or whatever are gruesome.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I have played one level of Hi Fi Rush and while everyone gushing about it is right I have to point out: The combat feel is 100% Remember Me.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    It's always funny to see things like muffins or other similar items be used to push players through boundaries or into places they otherwise couldn't reach normally. I think it's because we see a muffin in a game and we ascribe the qualities of such to it: fragile, soft, etc whereas to a program all objects are equally "hard" or "dense" in relation to each other. So we get things like a pillow getting stuck inside a door in Skyrim, making a racket before it launches out and kills the player just as readily as a sword in an enemy's hands.

Madican on

The one thing that's fucking with me is which version are you supposed to buy? Just hit man 3? But there's this deluxe version too? And other Stuff Junk TM?

they actually changed this yesterday
    The only thing you can buy is Hitman: World of Assassination, which is 1, 2, and 3 combined. (which is currently on sale on Steam!) There's also a Deluxe Pack that is a bundle containing the game's DLCs (the Hitman 2 Expansion Pass which adds 2 new maps and some bonus missions, Hitman 3 Deluxe which adds 6 new "Deluxe Escalations" which are special missions on each map that award new suits and weapons, and the 7 Deadly Sins pack that contains 7 new Escalations with unique mechanics that award new suits and items). That's all there is to it.

oh shit Demon's Tilt sequel let's goooooooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IDcREDLlR4

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    we see a muffin in a game and we ascribe the qualities of such to it: fragile, soft, etc whereas to a program all objects are equally "hard" or "dense" in relation to each other. So we get things like a pillow getting stuck inside a door in Skyrim, making a racket before it launches out and kills the player just as readily as a sword in an enemy's hands.
    Found myself reading this post in Werner Herzog voiceover style

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    oh shit Demon's Tilt sequel let's goooooooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IDcREDLlR4
    The lack of a tracker soundtrack is disappointing.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    yo, dead space is scary...

I'm forced to stomp everything in sight. Wine country over here.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Just started Hi-Fi Rush and I am immediately being taken back to animated shows of the 2000s in both style and tone, I love it. Like, this could have been shown back-to-back with Dragon Booster or Hot Wheels: Battle Force 5 back in the day.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    If on a scary scale of one to ten where a two is RESIDENT. EVIL. and a six is Silent Hill 2 then Dead Space is a solid four spooks.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    yo, dead space is scary...

I'm forced to stomp everything in sight. Wine country over here.

I enjoy that and I'll spoil this as a non story but a gameplay feature...

Fucking necromorphs play dead more now than the original. Like you'll come back through an area and see a new necro and be like "I didn't kill one there" and yep motherfucker is playing dead!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    As needless as I think the Dead Space remake is, everything I’m hearing about it makes me glad

EA Motive did that thing right, it sounds like

Also I am deep back into Hitman thanks to the Freelancer mode, it’s finally making me play the game in more systemic way without savescumming that I find super engaging! Even if I’m not an expert in the speed running techniques that might make it easier

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
This discussion has been closed.