As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Beat Hi Fi Rush on Normal! That was hella fun.

Stuff I liked:
    I actually really liked the bit just after they see Peppermint's mom again for the first time, with Chai breaking them out with the power of Heart and Rock. The build up with the player feeling the song, plus I feel that the story has earned its moment at that point really make it work for me.

I think Wolfgang's my favorite boss, Korsica a close second. Kale's final form feels too punishing that you have a harder time studying his attack patterns.

Post-game stuff
    Do I need to beat it on hard in order to complete the poster? For example, the ones that want a certain amount of S rankings, can I grind the stages on Easy to keep gaining S ranks?

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    also the more footage that comes out of hogwarts legacy it's hilarious to me that it's as big a Discourse Topic as it is on the internet

just the most also-ran generic shooter tie-in game. shit like sony's spider-man game made people forget what these games look like. from the studio that brought you Cars 3: The Game

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    On one hand, I think the Mass Effect trilogy's combat got better with each entry.

On the other hand, it's funny that a development studio known for high budget "prestige" Western RPGs tries to drop the RPG elements and lean more into action games with every subsequent release in a series.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    also the more footage that comes out of hogwarts legacy it's hilarious to me that it's as big a Discourse Topic as it is on the internet

just the most also-ran generic shooter tie-in game. shit like sony's spider-man game made people forget what these games look like. from the studio that brought you Cars 3: The Game

I dunno, if it weren't Harry Potter I'd think that looked ok.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

(rolls at you) well you're (rolls to the side) entitled to your opinions but (rolls) i disagree (rolls rolls)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I don't care what Kim said

I teleported up that motherfucker

• Options

(rolls at you) well you're (rolls to the side) entitled to your opinions but (rolls) i disagree (rolls rolls)

Dark souls joke goes here

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CoolrekCoolrek Registered User regular

I know that most games do the trick where enemies will line up to attack you in turns rather than just jumping you, and you just have to let it slide, but it looks particularly unnatural in this. Dude at the end is just hanging out 2 feet away from the player doing nothing for like 4 seconds and then shuffles out of frame.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Decided to play Arcanum again, so I gave Steam five bucks instead of digging out my CDs and plugging in the portable drive. Got it all installed and patched up and rolled up a gunslinger. Due to the lack of tooltips or a controls menu, plus the fact that the whole operation shits itself and dies if I have the audacity to alt-tab out of it, it was rough going at first.

Then I remembered that this was an era where the manual wasn't just a quick-start guide, it was written to be your constant companion. Happily, I had one almost within arm's reach.

The table of skill training effects, vital information which is communicated nowhere in the game, was bookmarked with a ticket stub from seeing Napoleon Dynamite. I suspect I used it because I knew that would be the most hilariously accurate way to pinpoint how long it had been since the last time I played Arcanum.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    The Potterverse has Wizard School and Ninja School and these enemies clearly come from Ninja School. You wouldn't expect them to betray their training, would you?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited February 2023

I wouldn't say I ever loved the DA combat but this seems like quite a departure

Also not being able to decide to be a mage is bullshit

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Stealth really isn't my thing.

Vu3uCOG.jpg

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    You can't just say "God of War"-style combat and not be specific as to which God of War.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    You can't just say "God of War"-style combat and not be specific as to which God of War.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I don't care what Kim said

I teleported up that motherfucker

swq6iwhultiv.png

one of the great jokes about not wanting to animate a character climbing a ladder

Brolo on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

As someone who's never been able to get into a Dragon Age game for more than 5 or 6 hours: that dropkick did look pretty sick tho

• Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    @Magic Pink Death Road to Canada question -- you ever see or hear of a bug where it doesn't transfer control to one of the other characters when you die? The interwebs is silent on this, but it's a bit game-breaking, so maybe I'm just missing something...

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

Stuff I liked:
    I actually really liked the bit just after they see Peppermint's mom again for the first time, with Chai breaking them out with the power of Heart and Rock. The build up with the player feeling the song, plus I feel that the story has earned its moment at that point really make it work for me.

I think Wolfgang's my favorite boss, Korsica a close second. Kale's final form feels too punishing that you have a harder time studying his attack patterns.

Post-game stuff
    Do I need to beat it on hard in order to complete the poster? For example, the ones that want a certain amount of S rankings, can I grind the stages on Easy to keep gaining S ranks?

Completing the achievement wall appears to only be for the most dedicated players. The challenge for S-ranking fights would probably let you do the same fight over and over, but there are other challenges that require S-ranking every stage on every difficulty.

• Options
    Leveling up is also an RPG element
    Joke DESTROYED by facts and logic 3)

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I don’t know when people forgot how to do inventory screens, but so many games have just absolute shit inventory screens.

I miss Final Fantasy 6.

I should bust out my DS and run it again.

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    I don’t know when people forgot how to do inventory screens, but so many games have just absolute shit inventory screens.

I miss Final Fantasy 6.

I should bust out my DS and run it again.

i love loot

i hate most game loot

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

Stuff I liked:

Post-game stuff

Completing the achievement wall appears to only be for the most dedicated players. The challenge for S-ranking fights would probably let you do the same fight over and over, but there are other challenges that require S-ranking every stage on every difficulty.

Nooooooo damnit

That makes me sad. But better I learn about it now than later. Rhythm Master difficulty sounds dire given my skill level.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Having platinumed both modern God of Wars I can say that the loot system in that game matters more than the vast majority because the numbers and perks actually do create multiple viable "builds" and change how you engage with the combat in small but meaningful ways

Can't say the same for The Division or the modern Ghost Recons however

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    i was just thinking about this, i really dislike open world games where it's like "oh you can be stealthy or rush in or snipe from afar or play how you want" but also you have to keep swapping out all your gear because the good stealth armor isn't the same as the good shooting armor

i think i prefer a skill or perk system where my character gets better, so i can change playstyle minute to minute, like maybe i have to start out emphasizing stealth skills but eventually i can max everything

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Hi-Fi Rush feels like a game that was basically made for me in some ways, at least one chapter in

like, a) the first boss theme is one of my all-time favorite workout songs ever and that genuinely helped me on the timing

b) it handles like a PS2 era platformer when it comes to platforming sections, in a way I am very nostalgic for

and funniest of all is c) it was made by a Japanese studio but absolutely nails a certain Western anime-influenced art style a la Legend of Korra, Generator Rex, or Dragon Prince, which I'm the exact right age to be properly nostalgic for since I grew up with the first waves of that animation style in the mid-00s

it is an absolutely buck wild mix but I am 100% on board

finally got around to playing the second stage and boss and the "this game was made for me" vibe continues with another one of my favorite songs of the mid-00s
    the second boss theme is a pretty solid cover of Free Radicals by the Flaming Lips and hoo boy does that song hit different in 2023

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Having platinumed both modern God of Wars I can say that the loot system in that game matters more than the vast majority because the numbers and perks actually do create multiple viable "builds" and change how you engage with the combat in small but meaningful ways

Can't say the same for The Division or the modern Ghost Recons however

The latest Ghost Recon did a later update that let you turn that RNG gun Stat shit off and just play the game and it actually kinda rules.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I like games with Diablo-style loot and talent trees and all that. (edit: On a related note, I'm still enjoying Warframe. I'm up to Phobos now)

However, not every game needs it. It was a mistake to add it into Darksiders 2 for example. I also think Gotham Knights shouldn't have had it.

Lars on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I like games with Diablo-style loot and talent trees and all that. (edit: On a related note, I'm still enjoying Warframe. I'm up to Phobos now)

However, not every game needs it. It was a mistake to add it into Darksiders 2 for example. I also think Gotham Knights shouldn't have had it.

gotham knights absolutely didn't need loot and it certainly didn't need rpg number loot

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I love loot in games, but outside of loot pinata games like Diablo I'm not a fan of loot with rng stats on them.

Letting people customize or alter gear is cool, but a piece of loot with a specific name should have the same stats as any other drop with that same name. Don't give me two iron spears with different starting stats.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Mysst wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »

gotham knights absolutely didn't need loot and it certainly didn't need rpg number loot

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Disco Elysium, again, has the best inventory.

The only stats are the ones you are using in every conversation. The numbers are small enough that the human mind can comprehend them, yet large enough to have a significant impact on gameplay. They have flavor text to describe the item, and even better, justify those stat points. And most importantly, they are all visually represented on the in game character.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    We have poison resistance potions in real life. They're called vaccines.

• Options
    do not drink your vaccine

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Hitman Freelancer Update:

Fucking pissed. Get all the way to the very last showdown in the entire campaign. It is in the hotel in Bangkok. There are like 8 possible targets. I systematically eliminate possibilities with the camera until there are only two it could be. Both, of course, in the stupid recording studio/*Not Jared Leto's* top floor suites. A place just fucking stacked with people. Notice one of the targets goes into a hotel suite restroom for a few minutes. Okay. Got to shoot them with a sniper rifle. Got the rifle in the case. Got a bodyguard uniform which is the best I can do, but there are tons of knowers/enforcers still around that can see through the disguise. Target leaves, I sneak in and wait. It tales like fifteen minutes for the target to do a loop. I am reminded of the Opera House mission in Blood Money where if you are slow you have to wait forever for the actor to do a loop and shoot himself with the gun you swapped.

Anyway target finally heads back, I'm hiding in a corner of the bathroom. Has, what I'm pretty sure is, an assassin in tow. Assassins are pretty harmless and can't spot you but do crazy damage if they do. Target enters the bathroom, assassin stays outside. I carefully close the door. Door closes. I go up and do the subdue action to knock her out so that I can then shoot them with the snipe rifle. The moment I do the subdue, the assassin gains magic X-Ray vision and can see me through the fucking solid door and blasts in to shoot me twice while I am still in the animation and kills me before I can even react to try and pause the game to quit out and restart.

Like everything I know about the game should not have let that assassin see me. I should have been completely clear. I made extra sure and I still got fucked and lost the entire campaign. Took me all day to get there too.

if you were close to the door they might've heard the struggle. choke-outs are quiet but they're not silent.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Loot is cool. Just a little extra thing to fuss with in games.

Do all games need it? Nah. But the screenshots in that tweet are examples of loot games that are darned good. Well, not DA:I

But once again I have fallen into the trap of engaging with that Twitter account, so I'm the true fool here.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I don't like loot

But mostly I'm angry that it's what people are referring to when they say RPG mechanics, as it is extremely disconnected from how I define an RPG

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I love loot in games, but outside of loot pinata games like Diablo I'm not a fan of loot with rng stats on them.

Letting people customize or alter gear is cool, but a piece of loot with a specific name should have the same stats as any other drop with that same name. Don't give me two iron spears with different starting stats.

The way Borderlands does it (at least Borderlands 2 and the Pre-Sequel, I'm not up to date on the mechanics of 1 and 3) is pretty cool. The stats on a gun are tied to the parts it's made up of.

So yes, the parts are random, but if you're familiar enough with the game you can see a gun drop and not even need to see it's item card to know what it's got because you see which barrel and grip and such it has.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Currently playing Darktide and the loot is randomised? Like, everything a weapon does is random. This weapon does 20% damage, this identical weapon does 50% damage. Add in perks and blessing and I have 16 identical axes in my inventory, each unique in their own minuscule way. It's bullshit is what it is.

This discussion has been closed.