As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    While it isn't quite as long coming as Dwarf Fortress's official release to steam, another grandfather of time-wasting F2P games got a major steam release.

Antimatter Dimensions: The Reality Update

If you enjoy idle games, you've probably already played this, and since it's great it's a good time to replay it and get to the new content in a few... weeks? Months?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    monster hunter is a fun video game. it is fun to beat up big guys with a sword

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

I love Bazelgeuse :)

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I wish they'd bring back underwater mons.

Tri was the first one I actually got to play with other people (because online stuff on the PSP was wonky af) and I really enjoyed those hunts. Underwater switchaxe was the shit.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I’m finally actually putting time into Midnight Suns. I only just figured out what Marked does. Luckily I figured this out when attempting the final moon gate four levels under what is recommended. Very useful.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I mean, if Monster Hunter wanted to go really "dark" the game would stop being about hunting monsters in the wild and start being about force raising them in captivity and keeping them just alive long enough to harvest their monster parts as cheaply as possible.

But it won't, because the games like, not a critical examination of man's relationship to nature and the environment.

It's a game about hitting cool boss enemies in the head with the BIGGEST SWORD EVER.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    the ticker in Antimatter Dimensions has some good gags

is what I was about to say

then it inverted "Bring Me To Life" by Evanescence, and I'm dead. That killed me.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    the ticker in Antimatter Dimensions has some good gags

is what I was about to say

then it inverted "Bring Me To Life" by Evanescence, and I'm dead. That killed me.

At one point it does the entire "half A press" gag, but about M presses to max all.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular

I love Bazelgeuse :)

The Theme and Roar just played in all of our heads.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    For some reason none of the audio in Dwarf Fortress will play on my computer

I didn't think anything of it at first because I'm used to the game being silent from playing the free version, but the menu says that there's music playing currently that I simply can't hear

oh that's a shame, the new music is great
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekq3TDPznGI&list=PLp1Y6qRhEmZyEeE3O1xz-qb62htJbPqIF

I got it to work - no idea what was causing it, just my computer being weird I think

The music is indeed very good, but also I haven't played DF in like four years and I forgot everything

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    I mean I like monster hunter cos its a little bit dark it wasnt a criticism. I also like smacking things with big sword and the power of teamwork and humanity triumphing in the face of the impossible.

I literally cannot lose.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Even in the deathmatch between a literal dragon god and the smallest most precious tiny fragile bird, the worst injury suffered is light battery

But how do they decide which Pokémon are okay for people to eat?

They've started pivoting toward some pokemon naturally shedding parts of their body

Like the new fish pokemon, Veluza, which is a sword fish that carves its body to be sharper and more streamlined. People collect the discarded flesh and cook it

This is far more transgressive and disturbing than killing a fish and eating it

I was gonna go post the quote from restaurant at the end of the universe where they meet a cow that wants to be eaten but that part is actually a lot longer than I remembered and I don't wanna post an entire page of the book. So go dig out your copy and read it and pretend I posted it here

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I miss online fps games where you could mindlessly play in team modes ignoring chat the entire time and just zone out and play

Everything is battle royale anymore which just requires to much coordination and communication for me.

Even regular call it duty after a certain point seemed like it got super sweaty

And like cs go ruined counter strike, way to much getting yelled slurs at by streamers for not playing right or whatever.

Fortnite solo might hit that spot? Don't have to interact with anyone ever in that mode.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Historical battlefield style games are pretty good. The more simulation focused ones tend to be played by groups, but the more casual ones are still great for dicking around in.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Re: Dwarf Fortress music spoilers??
    The first time I made a tavern Ilun Kinem played and it was VERY GOOD.

Upon further investigation, it is a collab between Dabu and Simon Swerwer. Simon Swerwer has written a bunch of songs using the in-game dwarven language.

The official translation for Ilun Kinem is like:

ub bel durad dënush tashem ar amur

Dine well greybeard, your coffin draws your flesh down to the dirt!

But since the in-game dwarven language is largely just nouns and verbs, the literal translation is:

DINE GRAY BEARD CASKET PULL FLESH DIRT

Which rules.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Latest Into the Breach run, one of my pilots gets Invulnerable as their first promotion. So they can't die.

I mean, good for you I guess dude, but it's worth jack fucking shit to me. I can always get more pilots, I need you to be a bit more fucking useful than that!

I mean, if you get the self-destruct weapon that lets you one-shot all surrounding enemies, it's better with something like visceral nanobots that heal on kills, but pairing it with an Invulnerable pilot is still one hell of a get-out-of-jail-free card.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Latest Into the Breach run, one of my pilots gets Invulnerable as their first promotion. So they can't die.

I mean, good for you I guess dude, but it's worth jack fucking shit to me. I can always get more pilots, I need you to be a bit more fucking useful than that!

I mean, if you get the self-destruct weapon that lets you one-shot all surrounding enemies, it's better with something like visceral nanobots that heal on kills, but pairing it with an Invulnerable pilot is still one hell of a get-out-of-jail-free card.

I'm sure it can be useful if you get specific other promotions or tech. I had neither, just a useless unkillable pilot.

Another guy got Powerful Hero which also was pretty useless. In fact that run was the worst I've ever had for promotions and power ups, hardly anything useful, made the whole process a struggle. But whatever, it's over now.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Started playing Jedi: Fallen Order

If I hadn't watched all of Shameless, I'd definitely like the main character a lot less than I do.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Jedi Joker is fine, there's nothing wrong with him.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I really want to get DF, so I downloaded the classic version with the newb pack. I still do not get it.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Started playing Jedi: Fallen Order

If I hadn't watched all of Shameless, I'd definitely like the main character a lot less than I do.

I love Cal, he's my sweet little boy

edit: also I forgot that (light... cameo? appearance? spoiler)
    Forest Whitaker
    shows up by flying into your windshield

Depressperado on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I mean, if Monster Hunter wanted to go really "dark" the game would stop being about hunting monsters in the wild and start being about force raising them in captivity and keeping them just alive long enough to harvest their monster parts as cheaply as possible.

But it won't, because the games like, not a critical examination of man's relationship to nature and the environment.

It's a game about hitting cool boss enemies in the head with the BIGGEST SWORD EVER.

If Mon Hun wanted to go dark they would just make a game that explains the backstory to the setting and how all the monsters are left over bio-weapons and the how the humans are all genetically modified supermen. I would much rather that stay in the lore books and I get to play the game where I fight a dragon with a cat and a dog I can ride though.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Jedi Joker is fine, there's nothing wrong with him.

cal kestis is by far the best jedi. someone might even argue he's the only good jedi (that someone is me)

i played fallen order before i watched gotham so it'll be weird to have jerome joker in my head with the sequel

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    thank goodness for the easy mode in fallen order. changing the difficulty made me go from hating it to loving it immediately

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Cal is objectively one of the best Jedi, and based on his choice at the end of the first game, I’m going to agree that he’s the best Jedi.

And Qui-Gon Jinn didn’t have a closet full of dope ponchos.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Cal is objectively one of the best Jedi, and based on his choice at the end of the first game, I’m going to agree that he’s the best Jedi.

starting the game with
    cal going "welp, fuck hiding anymore, someone needs my help, i will help them"

was like the writers said "hey garlic bread, we'll make you care about a star war"

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

starting the game with
    cal going "welp, fuck hiding anymore, someone needs my help, i will help them"

was like the writers said "hey garlic bread, we'll make you care about a star war"

it definitely Gets Star Wars, it feels like it's made by real fans without giving in to the lamer fan impulses.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I just don't enjoy lightsabers and force powers all that much

Also I'm picky about combat animations in soulslikes and the combat in that game is clunky as heck

But then I'm still really early in it on kashyyk

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    thank goodness for the easy mode in fallen order. changing the difficulty made me go from hating it to loving it immediately

it's a soulslike with an easy mode?

I bet the gamers are mad about this game.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Did that game ever get patched to fix its performance issues and bugs, or did EA just abandon it after release?

• Options
    I just don't enjoy lightsabers and force powers all that much

good news! he's getting a gun in the sequel!

which makes him even more best jedi

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    So he's doing the reverse Kyle Katarn?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I play almost all games on easy mode. I'm in it for stories.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    So he's doing the reverse Kyle Katarn?

I would be absolutely fine with this game plot twisting to reveal it's leading up to a new Dark Forces style game.

• Options
    bought Dwarfortress

currently cooking up Strasp Xestsu, the Planets of Enchanting

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I am absolutely throwing the Jedi sequel on easy mode from the jump unless I hear they’ve tightened up their controls and combat, because hoo boy did I really grow to hate that stuff

It’s just good enough that you think it should be better, and just bad enough to keep it from being any fun to try and get good at. The parry timing! Ugh!!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Last jedi game I played... was probably Jedi Academy, I felt the combat was slightly worse than Jedi Outcast, but it was still really good, at least I enjoyed the hell of it, and multiplayed battles were great, there was a pretty high ceiling for learning, but enough mid-tied players to make it interesting.

So, how do the new games compare, in the combat system, particularly lightsaber+powers ?

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

If Mon Hun wanted to go dark they would just make a game that explains the backstory to the setting and how all the monsters are left over bio-weapons and the how the humans are all genetically modified supermen. I would much rather that stay in the lore books and I get to play the game where I fight a dragon with a cat and a dog I can ride though.

Yeah. I really hate that irony poisoned "Let's make everything dark and shit". You can just... enjoy things for what they are, for their choice of tone.

Like it's totally okay if monster hunter is not your jam. (hell, i'll even agree that sometimes it's hunting stuff misses the mark, or gets actively Uhhhhh, liek when it had what was basically whaling, except for a Sand-Whale-Dragon. That was Not Good). But there's no need to make it dark.

I have the same reaction to adults doing the "Ash was in a coma!" or similar with pokemon. It's just gross and werid and honestly quite creepy to me this idea you cannot let things be joyful and playful, it's gotta have a Dark Grim Backstory.

(Side note, this aint aimed at anyone here, just a geenral observation)

---

Lorewise i do enjoy some of the fun little nuggets like Hunters being a supersolider program that's bred true, and that's why "Deviljho bit me, it was a bad day" is a thing for them or just hte "oh, yeah, i went wading through lava. No big deal".

Actually, comedy - someone crunched the math on how strong a hunter would be to use the iconic Greatsword as a weapon the way they do. The conclusion was that the Hunter has to be showing off - Anyone that strong would be able to dismantle the monsters by hand, so the Greatsword is just holding them back and giving them a bit of extra reach.

This is simialr to the conclusion that Steve? From minecraft should be able to hand-forge diamonds by grabbing coal and crushing it in his hands, given his ability to punch trees and carry cubic tons without issue.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Last jedi game I played... was probably Jedi Academy, I felt the combat was slightly worse than Jedi Outcast, but it was still really good, at least I enjoyed the hell of it, and multiplayed battles were great, there was a pretty high ceiling for learning, but enough mid-tied players to make it interesting.

So, how do the new games compare, in the combat system, particularly lightsaber+powers ?

Those games are unrelated aside from being Star Wars.

This is more like would you like to play a game with Souls inspired combat and the storytelling, platforming, and set piece feel of an Uncharted set in the Star Wars universe?

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

Those games are unrelated aside from being Star Wars.

This is more like would you like to play a game with Souls inspired combat and the storytelling, platforming, and set piece feel of an Uncharted set in the Star Wars universe?

Bummer, sounds like a combination of stuff I dont enjoy.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
This discussion has been closed.