As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

šŸ–„ļøšŸŽ® - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: Ā»
    Man, Meet Your Maker has been super fun so far. Really like running through people's death traps.

This looks cool as hell. Hows it play?

Itā€™s hard for me to describe because what it reminds me of is on the tip of my tongue. But itā€™s essentially a Mario Maker where you go into a quick dungeon to get a maguffin, then have to escape.

You can only get hit once by a trap or an enemy, in which case you die and can immediately try again. You start with a very satisfying grappling hook and a double jump for movement. Destroying traps and enemies gives you resources for your base, so thereā€™s an incentive to risk death to not only bypass stuff but destroy it.

Also, once you grab the maguffin, the person can build traps that only deploy at that moment, so getting out can be challenging even if youā€™ve cleared the map.

You can also coop with a friend which Iā€™m gonna try tonight.

The other half of the game is building your own levels that players try to get through, and those sessions are recorded so you can watch later to see people either succeed or win. You can also build with a friend.

It reminds me of a game years ago where you were a paranoid home owner and had to design a labyrinthine home full of traps and stuff, then if you could clear it it got uploaded and other players were thief and had to break in. I want to say it was too down perspective?

I vaguely remember that! Weren't the graphics super primitive? Or maybe the game was just old?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Actually the game it reminds me of visually is that dungeon crawling game where you play as four characters at once. Grim...something? Because that game was grid based, and while this isn't turn based, the bases are built out of large cubes so it feels like moving around in those dungeons which had similar construction

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    wait this isn't the Lego thread

Brolo on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Actually the game it reminds me of visually is that dungeon crawling game where you play as four characters at once. Grim...something? Because that game was grid based, and while this isn't turn based, the bases are built out of large cubes so it feels like moving around in those dungeons which had similar construction

legend of grimrock?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: Ā»
    Man, Meet Your Maker has been super fun so far. Really like running through people's death traps.

This looks cool as hell. Hows it play?

Itā€™s hard for me to describe because what it reminds me of is on the tip of my tongue. But itā€™s essentially a Mario Maker where you go into a quick dungeon to get a maguffin, then have to escape.

You can only get hit once by a trap or an enemy, in which case you die and can immediately try again. You start with a very satisfying grappling hook and a double jump for movement. Destroying traps and enemies gives you resources for your base, so thereā€™s an incentive to risk death to not only bypass stuff but destroy it.

Also, once you grab the maguffin, the person can build traps that only deploy at that moment, so getting out can be challenging even if youā€™ve cleared the map.

You can also coop with a friend which Iā€™m gonna try tonight.

The other half of the game is building your own levels that players try to get through, and those sessions are recorded so you can watch later to see people either succeed or win. You can also build with a friend.

It reminds me of a game years ago where you were a paranoid home owner and had to design a labyrinthine home full of traps and stuff, then if you could clear it it got uploaded and other players were thief and had to break in. I want to say it was too down perspective?

I vaguely remember that! Weren't the graphics super primitive? Or maybe the game was just old?

Y'all may be thinking of the game INATP mentioned, Castle Doctrine

• Options

"I don't care about that other stuff," I say, as I lift the bottle of poison to my mouth. "At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is if it tastes good going down."

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    r u ok brolo

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Brolo on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Man you can tell HiFi Rush is a game that was given as much time as it needed, itā€™s so refreshing. The abundance of unlockable costumes and stuff post game, as well as stuff like characters commenting on you having abilities that you shouldnā€™t have yet when you do new game plus stuff

Thereā€™s an enemy that on the first playthrough beats you because you donā€™t have the ability for it yet, but when you do it the second time on new game + you get

ā€œHey you cheated, youā€™re not supposed to have that ability yetā€
    ā€œOh well, Iā€™ll just play the same cutscene anywayā€

Fantastic

Prohass on
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    in meet your maker, my favorite trap is a second wave boltshot on the outside of the base facing the extraction point

you're out! you got the thing! now all you gotta do is saunter to the walkway over there and what's that noise oop you're dead

every time i see a little skull icon on there it puts a smile on my face

edit: i mean here's a player that definitely hates me
    pgh5de4fik69.png

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

asofyeun on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    it's a gameplay conceit that has been kicking around for a while in games like the Castle Doctrine or ubisoft's Mighty Quest For Epic Loot but meet your maker seems like the first one that's hit upon making playing the levels actually fun. which seems like an important component of making those games work.

Yup it is Castle Doctrine. Never played it but it seemed super cool. Going to try this new take on it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    A breakdown of Dwarf Fortress' first two months on Steam from Kitfox Games, the publisher: https://medium.com/kitfox-games-shenanigans/dwarf-fortress-2-months-later-648d1c4f34d2
    In the first two months, which ended yesterday, weā€™ve now sold exactly 606,342 copies of Dwarf Fortress, almost exactly 5k of which are from itch.io.

As seen in Bay 12ā€™s monthly report, just last week Tarn and Zach finally received their due of over 7 million USD into their bank account, as opposed to the usual $15k. There will be taxes to pay and so on, but itā€™s safe to say it was a very good success.

holy shit

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: Ā»

350 american dollars

sneakerheads deserve all the misery

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    boots aren't sneakers.

BOOTS AREN'T SNEAKERS

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    this is probably going to be a spicy take, but very few bioware combat systems feel good. many of them feel novel to get you through the game, but would emphatically not hold up if you were going to play a game that was say, just them, without the other stuff bioware makes

This I the coldest take Iā€™ve seen in a while, BioWare is NOT very good at making their gameplay loops really fun, but people enjoy their writing, so theyā€™ll suffer through crap to see what happens next. Thatā€™s how I played literally all of Dragon Age 1. I gave up on Inquisition because combat was so. Fuckinā€™. Duuuuulllllllll.

Only BioWare gameplay I enjoyed immediately was Mass Effect 2, but it was so dead simple that the luster kinda wore off after 20-30 hours.

A couple of the classes had more going on, if Iā€™d started with a Biotic character it might have stayed fun longer.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I feel like one or two of the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer characters had pretty strong melee focuses

I

love

the Batarian heavy melee.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I would say Bioware is good at creating good combat moments, but the systems were somewhat wanting

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i would call the take hot specifically for this forum and nowhere else lol

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I would say Bioware is good at creating good combat moments, but the systems were somewhat wanting

Mass Effect 3's multiplayer was incredible.

Dragon Age 2 was the best Dragon Age combat ever was, but even then it was serviceable more than anything.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    If Dreadwolf's combat is great then cool - Inquisition's combat wore thin for me by the end - but it does seem like a classic "oh so that's one reason why this game has taken so long".

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Harry Potter is such a conflicting thing for me cause like, on the one hand it holds a special place in my childhood, my partner loves it still, etc. (but not to like the obsessive degree some people seem to)

And on the other it's very disappointing that JK Rowling is such a piece of shit

And on the third hand a good friend of mine is very very very upset about this new game and the game is a "Litmus test for society" and it's like, ok come on now

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Imagine being a full-grown adult whose fondest wish is to go to a boarding school

Have some fuckin' dignity, goddamn

Why would I ever choose to go to Hogwarts when I could spend my time in the Shire getting high & dancing at the local tavern?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: Ā»
    Imagine being a full-grown adult whose fondest wish is to go to a boarding school

Why would I ever choose to go to Hogwarts when I could spend my time in the Shire getting high & dancing at the local tavern?

Drinking ale at the Green Dragon!

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    My most positive memories associated with Harry Potter are about, like, seeing movies with my family and having fun playing games and such, and I don't need to hold on to the media itself to hold on to those memories. There's plenty of movies I've seen with loved ones that I don't even remember, that we had fun going to see together, you know?

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed my Vanguard biotic charge build in Mass Effects 2 and 3. Combined with a shotgun and I think there was some kind of ground pound move. It was such a rush, especially on the higher difficulties. The risk/reward ratio on Insanity was balanced enough that it was almost always a thrill to pull it off.

So yeah, I definitely found some fun gameplay loops there. ME1's gameplay was whatever though, I agree.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I just finished AC Syndicate!

I really really enjoyed it, might even have been my favourite in this playthrough so far.

Evie and Jacob are just so charming, and it was nice to show the arc of them drawing apart over the course of the game, then realizing they really miss each other, then double teaming the final boss in probably the best final boss fight since you punched the pope, and maybe even more fun that that and being willing to admit to each other that they miss each other.

I loved it!

The progress bar now looks like:
    akc4li35u9pd.png

(Because of how much of a stinker Unity was, I added Origins back into the timeline, even though it means my beloved Odyssey is pushed back)

Psykoma on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    i would call the take hot specifically for this forum and nowhere else lol

Mayonnaise take!

American cream cheese of a take!

Spicy in the way that Wonderbread is spicy!

But, and this is key, a very good and technically correct take.

Edit:
    I really enjoyed my Vanguard biotic charge build in Mass Effects 2 and 3. Combined with a shotgun and I think there was some kind of ground pound move. It was such a rush, especially on the higher difficulties. The risk/reward ratio on Insanity was balanced enough that it was almost always a thrill to pull it off.

So yeah, I definitely found some fun gameplay loops there. ME1's gameplay was whatever though, I agree.
    yeah, Iā€™ve seen some footage of Biotics in 2 and 3 and they look a little more dynamic and interesting. Pretty much every other build in the game is cotton candy.

sarukun on
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Also can I bitch a bit about Ubisoft's story model here?

The last three or four AC games I've played have been largely over-arched by the plotline of Juno being reincarnated, gathering strength so get back to a physical body in the present day
    But I finished Syndicate, and Juno is still insubstantial..

And I remember playing Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla, and none of them touch on Juno in present day...

So I go looking through the wikia to see what happened.

And the overarching enemy from like four games, which was a massive factor in Desmond's story, was resolved 100% in a comic series.
    And they seem to have no intention of bringing that resolution or story to the games.

what the absolute fuck dudes

Psykoma on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

All I want in life is to live like a Hobbit

Just hang out and eat seven meals a day

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    To be fair to Inquisitionā€™s combat, they were trying to cram both DA2ā€™s more action based combat and DA1ā€™s tactical combat into 1 system thanks to vocal fans of both. It went about as well as it probably could given that design start.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: Ā»
    Also can I bitch a bit about Ubisoft's story model here?

The last three or four AC games I've played have been largely over-arched by the plotline of Juno being reincarnated, gathering strength so get back to a physical body in the present day
    But I finished Syndicate, and Juno is still insubstantial..

And I remember playing Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla, and none of them touch on Juno in present day...

So I go looking through the wikia to see what happened.

And the overarching enemy from like four games, which was a massive factor in Desmond's story, was resolved 100% in a comic series.
    And they seem to have no intention of bringing that resolution or story to the games.

what the absolute fuck dudes

They seem to be absolutely terrible at actually finishing storylines (from what I hear, see Layla Hassan)

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Maddoc wrote: Ā»

All I want in life is to live like a Hobbit

Just hang out and eat seven meals a day

One of the best parts about working from home is that I can have as many breakfasts as I want on any given day.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Ok I made a level thatā€™s still under the normal difficulty challenge setting in meet your maker and two players have now had five or more deaths on it and I cackled while watching both of them. A+ game will be buying.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Got it downloaded but havenā€™t tried it yet

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Oh dang the final challenge room in HiFi Rush requires a 85% hit rate to beat, well there goes at achievement

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: Ā»
    Harry Potter is such a conflicting thing for me cause like, on the one hand it holds a special place in my childhood, my partner loves it still, etc. (but not to like the obsessive degree some people seem to)

And on the other it's very disappointing that JK Rowling is such a piece of shit

And on the third hand a good friend of mine is very very very upset about this new game and the game is a "Litmus test for society" and it's like, ok come on now

I'mma just quote this excellent article here.
    "Hogwarts Legacy cannot and should not be judged solely on its own merits, because the end result of supporting this game financially and socially isnā€™t simply a matter of how much youā€™ll enjoy it, or how nostalgic it might be to experience the world of Harry Potter.

If you purchase this game ā€“ if you praise its qualities and encourage others to ā€˜support the developersā€™ or ā€˜treat yourself to a guilty pleasureā€™ ā€“ you are making a choice that will harm the transgender community, whether you want to admit it or not. "

Which is honestly how I feel about Harry Potter in general. There's nothing to be conflicted about - HP can get in the trash, because every time it gets boosted, Rowling has that much more platform to preach her foul shit. Which literally, directly, contributes to people getting fucking Murdered for daring to exist and trying to be happy and healthy. And to be clear, i grew up on it too!

But nothing in HP is worth the human cost it's got attached to it currently.

You want something good in the magical school genre? Naomi Novik's The Scholomance Trilogy is great. (And has a lovely refrence to transiton spells at one point, as well as being very queer friendly, and you know, actually really well written and having shit to say)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: Ā»
    Glal wrote: Ā»
    Working my way through some Steam Demos.

Dungeons of Aether is a dungeon crawler where you and your opponent take turns picking from a common dice pool to apply them to your stats. At least in the demo, attacks only ever did 1 damage, the size of your pools determines whether or not the attack will penetrate, how many of your abilities are available and who acts first (enemies don't deal damage if they die before their turn). The dice in the pool are coloured and will only contribute +1 to any pool of a different colour (except for 1s, which cannot be placed off colour).
    Combined with abilities that manipulate opponent dice or give you pool bonuses on your next turn it means that you can use turns where neither of you are going through the other's defenses to prepare for the next turn. All in all, neat systems, feels less random than I remember Dicey Dungeon being.

Mr. Saitou is (or feels like) an RPG Maker game, where you're a Japanese salaryman who faints from overwork and wakes up in the hospital, where he's bothered by a little kid that draws him a picture of llamaworms, all named after him. You then go to sleep and wake up as a salaryworm doing a presentation to the worms in those pictures, getting chewed out by your boss. The demo includes office work, office gossip, the most annoying worm in the office (yes that guy) and an infestation of giant pigeons.
    I have wishlisted this game so hard.

Oh neat, I didnā€™t realize Dungeons of AETHER had a thing.

For anybody that doesnā€™t know, Rivals of Aether is a pixel-graphics 2D platform fighter. Through making the game and its characters they made this neat idea for a world of anthropomorphic animals aligned to the worlds of the 4 elements. They also did Creatures of Aether which is a competitive card game.

So now Dungeons is a game to take that world and put new characters in, and a new game style.
    I cannot believe you'd not mention Lovers of Aether, their VN where you can date the Rivals characters and listen to their emo poems! Gosh.
    lypzh2j0d9xp.jpg

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die KrƤhe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Imagine you can choose just one type of multiplayer for a game whose single player campaign is in the Ubi/Dragon Age open world mold

Would it better to design it around the ME3 multiplayer, or the AC Brotherhood multiplayer

wY6K6Jb.gif
This discussion has been closed.