As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A question of import porportions..

mark-artmark-art Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
Eh, not really. So I was wondering, I have a first generation PS2, and amazingly, have had no problems with it(knock on wood) , and I wanna start buying some imports. Yes, late to the party. I was wondering, is it possible to do with some sort of disk swap method, as opposed to having my system mod-chipped. This may be old hat, for a lot of folks, so any help/links to info would be great. Thanks.

mark-art on

• Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    mark-art wrote: »
    Eh, not really. So I was wondering, I have a first generation PS2, and amazingly, have had no problems with it(knock on wood) , and I wanna start buying some imports. Yes, late to the party. I was wondering, is it possible to do with some sort of disk swap method, as opposed to having my system mod-chipped. This may be old hat, for a lot of folks, so any help/links to info would be great. Thanks.

Swap Magic, Action Replay (with its Freeloader technology), and/or a flip-top lid for the PS2 are your best friends.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Swap Magic, Action Replay (with its Freeloader technology), and/or a flip-top lid for the PS2 are your best friends.

I read about swap magic, but I think it only works for the flip-top slim-line ps2s yes? I have the first generation. Can't justify buying a whole new ps2 regardless of how cheap it is, just for a handfull of import games.

mark-art on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I read about swap magic, but I think it only works for the flip-top slim-line ps2s yes? I have the first generation. Can't justify buying a whole new ps2 regardless of how cheap it is, just for a handfull of import games.

No, it works with the old versions.

See, they give you a little doohickey that you use to slide the drawer open when switching discs. It works well enough, but it is easily misplaced.

I cannot speak for the additional wear and tear that manually pulling and pushing the drawer open does on the motor, since my 5 original model PS2s died well before I saw any damage.

However, the easiest and probably the cheapest option would be to go to Wal-Mart, buy the $20 or $30 PS2 Action Replay, and then just use the Freeloader option.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Another alternative with using the Swap Magic is getting a Flip-top cover for your PS2. A bit safer on your system since all you have to do is just unscrew the regular top and replace it with the flip-top and you're good to go.

as for the Action Replay thing, I don't think the PS2 version has a freeloader thing like the Gamecube did. Only thing I remember off of that is that it let you play dvd movies, but not games.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    DremDrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I can vouch for the fliptop. There are flip-top covers for every version of the PS2. I just bought a new slimline PS2 in January and was able to get a fliptop for it, and before that I had a first generation PS2 and was able to get a fliptop for that. They were easy to attach and they work like a charm. Or charms. I guess.

Actually, I just had a SwapMagic for my original first-gen PS2 and that was it. The cover I got at first wasn't the right one, so I had to wait to exchange it for the right one. In the mean time, I just had the cover over the disc tray unscrewed so I could pull it off and put it on when I wanted to switch games. Of course, I didn't have a top cover on the PS2 anymore, so it wasn't exactly safe. It worked faithfully for me however; that is, until January where the ribbon connecting the reset/eject button snapped. That's a good 2 years, though. :(

Drem on
    hacksigsig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Is there an online retailer where said flip-tops are available? And is it easy to install without totally wrecking the system?

mark-art on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Another alternative with using the Swap Magic is getting a Flip-top cover for your PS2. A bit safer on your system since all you have to do is just unscrew the regular top and replace it with the flip-top and you're good to go.

as for the Action Replay thing, I don't think the PS2 version has a freeloader thing like the Gamecube did. Only thing I remember off of that is that it let you play dvd movies, but not games.

Well, how about that. It is only for movies. I did not know that.

A quick jaunt to the Codejunkies website (home of the Action Replay) says they have items that seem to do more than what is allowed here.

Ok, go for the Swap Magic disc then. I recommend the flip-top lid as well.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have the "doohikey" and Swap Magic. I've had it for two years and i have not experienced any problems whatsoall. You just have to be gentle when operating it. The only modification is removing the little cover on the tray, witch is super easy. On the the old PS2s they are fastened with screws, but most have clip-on cover.

Hakunin on