As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] Strategy locked in commander. Very well...Engage!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Oh yeah. Battalion gambits can't be counterattacked, which is really useful when you need to chip down a scary boss for some reason. You can have multiple battalion attacks on them and then follow up with a big hit so they never get to hit back and murder someone.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I was just gifted Three Houses as part of the forums Secret Santa and I'm excited to play my first Fire Emblem game.

Any tips? I played tiles games before so not wholly unfamiliar with the genre.

Turn enemy attack range on.

Bait out enemies by placing tanks just inside their attack range, then when they're drawn in kill them with powerful attackers. Enemies will often be triggered in groups, so be prepared to deal with several even if you're in the attack range of just one.

There are two types of damage, physical and magical; strength and defense stats govern physical, magic and resistance stats govern magical. Units with high defense tend to have poor resistance and vice versa, so you'll need tanks of both types.

If there's an opportunity to heal even a small amount of damage, take it, because your healers need experience points.

Certain weapons have special effectiveness against specific unit types; you can use this to your advantage, but even more important is checking enemies for weapons that will be effective against your own units. You can set the attack of ranges of specific enemy units (it'll have a different color overlay if you have general attack range on) so you can make extra sure to keep the vulnerable units out of harm's way.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Fire Emblem Engage: chapter 11

Woof.

Up to 4 hours of attempts.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Chapters 10-11
    10 was fairly easy, advanced slowly and never felt like the enemy threw more at me than I could handle.

Now 11 was pretty tense, even on Normal. I've had a rewind feature in every game from SoV onward, so having it taken away from me was really unnerving, but also kind of nostalgic. Pushed towards the south exit as fast as I could without overextending, had Lapis engage with Tiki to pull some rearguard duty when it became necessary. Bet some sicko has already found a way to rout the enemy here.

Even in this game Lucina is a Marth Echo Fighter.

Found a Celine support where she doesn't talk about tea! It was with Alcryst.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    These Trials are some blatant nostalgia bait, but I enjoy them. It's fun to revisit old maps with new mechanics.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    One thing I will say to people who had trouble keeping their characters levels balanced is if you get some units up to 20 I wouldn't promote them right away.

I would take a break from the main story and get most of the other people I want up to that level as you know characters won't exceed that breakpoint(also if you need the extra firepower you will be able to use them without making the base level go up).

But one thing to remember is that no character is required for skirmishes so I always prioritize the lower level units for those.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

Woof.

Finished chapter 11. Spoiling everything just in case:
    Part of my difficulty was being stubborn and having to get things just right, for science, but that's still a really tricky map.

So my galaxy brain strategy was to send a Thief north to intercept all the enemies in the woods. With the the AVO bonus from Covert, Yunaka actually had over 100 AVO, so none of the enemies could hit her, and she could whittle everyone down with ranged knife counterattacks. She was able to dodge the Staff that Breaks her most of the time, and was self-sufficient.

The only danger she was in was Chain Attacks from Backup type enemies, and Warp Ragnarok from any enemy assigned Celica's ring by the boss (since it's auto-hit and bypasses evasion). Fortunately there was always a one turn window after being assigned a ring to take the enemy out, so as long as Yunaka took out the right enemies in the right order, she could weather the danger.

My only problem was because of her universally poor stat growths when leveling, as of level 16 she's never had a STR increase and couldn't deal any damage to the dragons. Even 1 point would have been enough, since once she damages something she starts stacking poison and dealing increasingly more damage every turn.

The solution was Alcryst. He had high enough STR to deal damage to the dragons, but even with the Covert AVO bonus, could only get to 95% AVO, leaving the dragons with a 5% chance to hit him, which might as well have been 100% with how many times I had to restart since there's no turning back time on this map. Luckily I had a Bond Ring that granted +2 SPD to push his AVO to 98, and then I used one of my precious Master Seals to promote him to his advanced class, which gave him the final point of SPD he needed for 0% chance to be hit by dragons.

So with the northern enemies taken care of, the rest of the team could work their way down the map, systematically taking down all the enemies, emblem carrying or not. Eventually the boss runs out of units to assign rings to, and things calm down.

The next sticking point was when reinforcements show up for both you and the enemy. The boss's lieutenants are technically killable, but they all have multiple HP bars, very high HIT, two have very high DEF, and one is the Mystical type, which bypasses the AVO bonus from terrain, nullifying Covert. In addition, the mystic has Celica's ring and spams Warp Ragnarok with impunity. They were showing up when my Covert operatives hadn't finished off the other enemies, and making mincemeat of my team. I was able to figure out the reinforcements trigger when a unit moves far enough south, so I had the main squad chill for a bit while the northern units mopped up the dragons and corrupted, then head south away from danger.

Once the covert team had a safe lead, the southern team proceeded south, triggered the cutscene, then was able to mop up the remaining enemies in the south and escape.

It's a shame I had to leave the lieutenants alive, but the feel of the map definitely was "flee otherwise unwinnable boss fight," and the game definitely made you feel like you were desperately fleeing for your life. The lack of turning back time contributed mechanically to the feel of the story, which was a nice touch.

I was playing on Normal, so I can only imagine how insane this map is on harder difficulties.

And now in chapter 12 Skirmishes are even harder, so I've got some grinding to do to shore up my weaker units. Onwards!

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Woof.

Finished chapter 11. Spoiling everything just in case:
    Part of my difficulty was being stubborn and having to get things just right, for science, but that's still a really tricky map.

So my galaxy brain strategy was to send a Thief north to intercept all the enemies in the woods. With the the AVO bonus from Covert, Yunaka actually had over 100 AVO, so none of the enemies could hit her, and she could whittle everyone down with ranged knife counterattacks. She was able to dodge the Staff that Breaks her most of the time, and was self-sufficient.

The only danger she was in was Chain Attacks from Backup type enemies, and Warp Ragnarok from any enemy assigned Celica's ring by the boss (since it's auto-hit and bypasses evasion). Fortunately there was always a one turn window after being assigned a ring to take the enemy out, so as long as Yunaka took out the right enemies in the right order, she could weather the danger.

My only problem was because of her universally poor stat growths when leveling, as of level 16 she's never had a STR increase and couldn't deal any damage to the dragons. Even 1 point would have been enough, since once she damages something she starts stacking poison and dealing increasingly more damage every turn.

The solution was Alcryst. He had high enough STR to deal damage to the dragons, but even with the Covert AVO bonus, could only get to 95% AVO, leaving the dragons with a 5% chance to hit him, which might as well have been 100% with how many times I had to restart since there's no turning back time on this map. Luckily I had a Bond Ring that granted +2 SPD to push his AVO to 98, and then I used one of my precious Master Seals to promote him to his advanced class, which gave him the final point of SPD he needed for 0% chance to be hit by dragons.

So with the northern enemies taken care of, the rest of the team could work their way down the map, systematically taking down all the enemies, emblem carrying or not. Eventually the boss runs out of units to assign rings to, and things calm down.

The next sticking point was when reinforcements show up for both you and the enemy. The boss's lieutenants are technically killable, but they all have multiple HP bars, very high HIT, two have very high DEF, and one is the Mystical type, which bypasses the AVO bonus from terrain, nullifying Covert. In addition, the mystic has Celica's ring and spams Warp Ragnarok with impunity. They were showing up when my Covert operatives hadn't finished off the other enemies, and making mincemeat of my team. I was able to figure out the reinforcements trigger when a unit moves far enough south, so I had the main squad chill for a bit while the northern units mopped up the dragons and corrupted, then head south away from danger.

Once the covert team had a safe lead, the southern team proceeded south, triggered the cutscene, then was able to mop up the remaining enemies in the south and escape.

It's a shame I had to leave the lieutenants alive, but the feel of the map definitely was "flee otherwise unwinnable boss fight," and the game definitely made you feel like you were desperately fleeing for your life. The lack of turning back time contributed mechanically to the feel of the story, which was a nice touch.

I was playing on Normal, so I can only imagine how insane this map is on harder difficulties.

And now in chapter 12 Skirmishes are even harder, so I've got some grinding to do to shore up my weaker units. Onwards!
    I just sent everyone south as quickly as possible and got Alear into the win square in 7 turns. Didn't even bother with anyone north or west or me. Just hauled ass to the south.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Yeah the map was very set up in a "You aren't supposed to win this" kind of way so I just got out of dodge.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    huh, flying units aren't female locked after all

You just can't promote a male character directly into one. As soon as you use any master seal on a character, every other class' requirements (base & advanced) change to Advanced Class Level 1 + any weapon proficiencies.

So you could master seal Alfred into a paladin, then immediately second seal him into a griffon knight instead. You just can't level him as a pegasus knight in the first place.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah the map was very set up in a "You aren't supposed to win this" kind of way so I just got out of dodge.

Oh, explicitly.
    The boss is immune to damage no matter how strong you are.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    So as a heads up characters have a hidden base level that calculates their xp growth rate. So given this and that advanced classes generally have better growths probably better to promote early than later.

• Options
    Chapter 12

Fairly easy, although I bet on higher difficulties you have to rush to save the civilians. It was interesting how it has you pushing inside to get to them and then facing outside to deal with reinforcements from the edge of the map.

Surprised they went with "Solmic" over "Solmian".

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So as a heads up characters have a hidden base level that calculates their xp growth rate. So given this and that advanced classes generally have better growths probably better to promote early than later.

Given stat caps and unlimited xp, I'm still not sure that fully makes up for faster levels a few more times at least not enough to make an appreciable difference.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

Given stat caps and unlimited xp, I'm still not sure that fully makes up for faster levels a few more times at least not enough to make an appreciable difference.

There are no faster levels, promoting has no effect on exp gain in this game. The only reason to keep anyone in a base class after hitting level 10 is the limited supply of master seals.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Chapter 6

I don't know if it's because I'm older but man, the main character Alear is dumber than rocks. This really is a Saturday morning cartoon, isn't it? Not sure if the dialogue changes if you pick the female version, but man, the guy version's decisions don't make a whole lotta sense, especially during war time.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure its just that Alear is about 80% bad (at least up to Chapter 15 where I am). I really wish they'd kept the silent protagonist, it would be so much better than...this.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hard doesn’t seem all that bad in Engage. I’ve mostly been using the crystal to undo 2% crits or low-odd misses or enemy hits.

Also, invest in Canter. It’s such a busted skill and you get it early on. Once you figure out your main team, just boost them to level 5 on Sigurd and save that SP.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TamerBill wrote: »

There are no faster levels, promoting has no effect on exp gain in this game. The only reason to keep anyone in a base class after hitting level 10 is the limited supply of master seals.

This is where I'm at. I'm in chapter 13, my average character is base class level 17, and I only have 2 master Seals for 20 units that need to promote.

I will probably just bench people as they hit 20, unless they're a critical unit to overall team performance (Louis will almost certainly get to be a General).

• Options
    I'm on C15, I think I've had about 10-12 master seals, but that includes buying all the ones in the shop & looting all the drops/chests in missions

sig.gif
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Jesus what the fuck is this insane difficulty spike in chapter 13????

Characters are doing tinkly damage to enemies and then getting one-shot all over the place, the bosses do 27x2 damage twice....What the hell?

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Characters are doing tinkly damage to enemies and then getting one-shot all over the place, the bosses do 27x2 damage twice....What the hell?

That map really frustrated me as well. I am hoping I am getting closer to the point where I can just build my team and start rocking out. The hoops they have you jump through at this stage have gotten beyond old.

• Options

That's about the time they start introducing promoted enemies heavy. You kind of need to start investing on higher tiers of weapons or upgrades at that point.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm doing the paralogue before chapter 13 main story, and it's proving very difficult.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    It may be a venerable mechanic, but I'm not real fond of the double-attack rules for exactly the reason of "suddenly I'm getting destroyed". Doubling your incoming or outgoing damage based on a stat difference breakpoint just has such explosive effects its hard to keep it in check.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Don't fall into the donations trap like I did. It absolutely does not pay dividends. I would much rather have those tens of thousands of dollars back than a few more skirmishes on the map.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I understand how to build out the qi adepts and rogues. They get very little for strength growths; you can use them for breaking the archer/mage/daggers, but they do very little damage. I do like their Guard ability, but it only triggers once before they are no longer at max health. Maybe there's a "heal yourself for a little when you heal others" talent that can improve that. Otherwise they'll have to cross heal or use vulneraries.

Similarly, maybe I'm stupid, but I feel like Alear's growths are tilted heavy towards speed and dex? With her mediocre HP and damage, she feels like the weakest MC in several games. Maybe I'm just getting Fire Emblem'd with my growths.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I mean Qi Adepts are healers and they aren't really meant to attack much.

That said they have a high resistance to magic and a lot of their scrolls let them hit twice so they are actually good at neutralizing mages if it's a bit too dangerous for other characters.

Their low strength doesn't matter as much cause mages have low health and def.

That said most of the time using their action to heal or set up a chain guard is more valuable. Attacking for them is more of a "Might as well" thing.

Also the AoE heal they get in their promoted class is great.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Wait Tempest Trials don't give EXP? This is a very large time investment against a not easy fight for what, exactly?

• Options
    Wait Tempest Trials don't give EXP? This is a very large time investment against a not easy fight for what, exactly?

They give you bonus exp at the end but it isn't great.

Really it seems more like a late game thing to grind up your Engage Weapons.

• Options
    'Lord'/MCs are usually some variety of myrmidon/swordmaster with better growths. That is, high dex/spd but usually gaining better str/def/res than those normal classes would receive. More recently they get magic & tomes as well.

That said, yes, Alear's growths seem pretty shitty.

Qi adepts & their two promotions are the only standard classes in the game with access to Arts, so on that basis alone they are pretty useful. Arts attacking twice means they obviously benefit twice as much from strength bonuses, so yeah their growths aren't great but with some STR droplets to buff them up a bit they can put out huge damage.

Jean has good growths all-round so he'll make a good martial master or high priest. MM has better growths but high priest is a more versatile class.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I'm kind of mixed on the economy in this game. It is great that it matters again but at the same time I do think it's a little too tight.

Especially since early game you're given access to all these very expensive things without the foresight of knowing what is and isn't important.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Don't fall into the donations trap like I did. It absolutely does not pay dividends. I would much rather have those tens of thousands of dollars back than a few more skirmishes on the map.

Yes, but on the other hand, I want the new outfits.

• Options
    Yeah the Donations thing is like... I'm sure if you crunched all the numbers it is a bad investment but it's such a fun and novel thing to spend resources on I'm gonna do it every time.

• Options
    gotta get 2 of every animal
    I may have about 10 dogs at this point

sig.gif
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Is Anna supposed to be a long-term investment (thematic!) or does she start in the wrong class or is she just bad? I expected her to be a thief but instead she’s Axe Child.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Wrong class, essentially. She has strong growths in magic, dex & speed.

That said, my Anna is a warrior with a magic axe and a magic bow, and still enough STR to use normal weapons.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Kinda annoying how some of the higher level skirmishes are just "We're gonna flood the map with Wyvern Knights"

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    The growths on Serenes Forest don't seem to match my experience at all; my Anna has consistently gotten strength on levelup and my level 14 Framme has 13 Str, making her one of my more powerful (if flimsy) physical attackers with the ability to quad a bunch of stuff with 8 damage hits.

E: Double checking it, my Anna has 15 strength at level 12, which is 5 hits in 8? levels at a 35% growth rate with Axe Fighter in the mix. Apparently, I'm absurdly lucky.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Each class applies its own growth modifier as well

It wouldn't surprise me if the current growth listings aren't completely accurate, but with the amount of variation it's hard for individual players to tell

sig.gif