As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

IT'S MY TIME!...to make the [Wrestling Thread]

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Was this followed up on or was it just clickbait?

I think you need to read a couple posts up

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Lots of wrestling news folks pretty much tweeting something similar.

So uhmm...WWE sold to the Saudi investors?

Matev
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Anyway, I've given enough of my brainspace to WWE news, time for something that really matters

Time to watch the DDT/BJW New Years Shuffle Tag Tournament

ReynoldshailtothekaleMatevDyvim Tvar
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Really fucking nailed this OP let me tell you.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
    VyolyncehailtothekaleDex DynamoMagellMNC DoverSproutPwnanObrienPerrsunCrippl3ShadowenMatevLBD_NytetraynGoose!Kreutznever dieThawmusDyvim Tvar
  • hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »

Congrats on the most wildly appropriate non-Christmas Bounty wrestling thread op!

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Welp. Looking forward to Sami being turfed by the Bloodline and doing a stretcher job Friday night, I guess?

Seriously though I'm gonna wait to see how things shake out heading into Rumble but my expectations have never been so low.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Welp. Looking forward to Sami being turfed by the Bloodline and doing a stretcher job Friday night, I guess?

Seriously though I'm gonna wait to see how things shake out heading into Rumble but my expectations have never been so low.

We'll wait and see whether Sami or the women get treated worse by new ownership.

Time to stop checking out ppvs when nothing else is going on.

Crippl3
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Anyway, I've given enough of my brainspace to WWE news, time for something that really matters

Time to watch the DDT/BJW New Years Shuffle Tag Tournament

These things are always fun, but my favorite running gag has to be that both Brahman Brothers count as one person on whatever team they're assigned to.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Fuck if I can predict what they're gonna do next, this is all so cartoonishly evil.

I'd...I dunno, Vince is a lunatic and a massive piece of shit, but I suspect that if any roster moves come out of this, it won't because Saudi Arabia wants them to happen, they've been increasing the number of women's matches every year at those shows. Coming in and slashing the women's division and firing, like, Sami Zayn, feels like the opposite of what they're trying to do with a purchase like this, which is to make them seem much more progressive than they actually are.

CorporateRedDyvim Tvar
    This is all still unconfirmed, to be clear, but this absolutely sucks

ReynoldsPwnanObrienSweeney TomNiryaThe Cow KingMagellAzraith411RandleLockedOnTargetPerrsunBloodsheedCrippl3ShadowenMatevLBD_NytetraynGoose!never dieJohnny ChopsockyDyvim Tvar
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Fuck if I can predict what they're gonna do next, this is all so cartoonishly evil.

I'd...I dunno, Vince is a lunatic and a massive piece of shit, but I suspect that if any roster moves come out of this, it won't because Saudi Arabia wants them to happen, they've been increasing the number of women's matches every year at those shows. Coming in and slashing the women's division and firing, like, Sami Zayn, feels like the opposite of what they're trying to do with a purchase like this, which is to make them seem much more progressive than they actually are.

I have a huge suspicion that Vince being a sex pest is going to cause lots of the female talent to nope the fuck out. Nevermind the Saudi thing, it'll be the fact that they'll probably have to, at some point, be in the same building as Vince McMahon.

Preacher
    Trace wrote: »

I have a huge suspicion that Vince being a sex pest is going to cause lots of the female talent to nope the fuck out. Nevermind the Saudi thing, it'll be the fact that they'll probably have to, at some point, be in the same building as Vince McMahon.

Not to be glib, but Vince being a sex pest wasn't a huge hidden secret before the reports surfaced.

AzraithMagellPwnanObrienGimReynoldsSweeney TomShadowenMatevGoose!Vyolyncenever dieThawmusAndy JoeDyvim TvarBlackDragon480
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    TBH the whole Saudi Blood Money Propaganda Show stuff already made me feel like I couldn’t fully respect any person who willingly continued to work for the WWE already.

With this, we will see a real test of morality for the roster, and if a lot of people don’t walk out it will be hard to have faith in the roster anymore. Especially the rich ones. I have some sympathy for like, low card people and NXT hopefuls and stuff, but when a bunch of people who are set for life don’t care enough to do anything, how can I believe in them?

LockedOnTarget on
    I'm An Elk; Shoot Me
    Couple of notes: selling a company of this size doesn't...generally just happen overnight. Also, if Vince's big play at getting back in power was to help secure TV deals, I can't imagine this particular deal would help.

Magell
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Sean Ross Sapp was talking about all this in a live podcast, transcriptions from reddit
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP9lhthn_WQ
    -Where SRS stands on if this news is true: “3/10”
    -SRS said Mojo Rawley texted him and said “shit, maybe I’ll be rehired!”
    -Thinks there’s a chance Saudi’s “grossly overpaid” for the company based on the other businesses that were bidding for WWE

-“If there was a group that would have Vince retain any semblance of creative control creatively, it would be with the Saudi’s” but mentions their relationship isn’t perfect and speaks on the problems between Vince and the Saudi prince

-“100%, yes” when asked if employees and talent will walk out on WWE if/when this is official
    -“Absolutely not” in regards to HHH leaving the wrestling business if he is let go by WWE

-SRS believes this deal could ruin Jay White and other free agents coming to WWE. Mentions it moreso being about Vince being back in control rather than the Saudi’s

-SRS believes Fox and USA “won’t be keen on” renewing TV deals if this deal happens

Crippl3 on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    a3rswuj57cba1.jpg

PwnanObrienShadowenGoose!MagellevilbobThawmusMNC Dover
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

Not to be glib, but Vince being a sex pest wasn't a huge hidden secret before the reports surfaced.

Yeah but it's more the fact that he's -back.- They had just got rid of him not all that long ago and now he's back. That's got to be just a terrible feeling.

Matev
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I'd forgotten that she'd taken a leave of absence a bit before Vince stepped down. I wonder if she...just didn't actually want to come back in the first place.

I haf assumed she took leave of absence because she got sight of exactly how much of a shit her dad was before the news was public.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    I'd forgotten that she'd taken a leave of absence a bit before Vince stepped down. I wonder if she...just didn't actually want to come back in the first place.

I haf assumed she took leave of absence because she got sight of exactly how much of a shit her dad was before the news was public.

I feel like the catalyst was probably more Triple H's health scare, I don't really believe she was all that unaware of what her dad was doing.

ReynoldsSweeney TomPwnanObrienMagellVyolyncenever diehailtothekaleThawmusMNC DoverAndy JoeBloodsheedNiryaPreacherDyvim TvarBlackDragon480
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »

Aye. When I posted in the other thread last night, I was expecting the follow-up to be one of those long posts with all the videos and histories of something. Then I saw this OP, and I'm like, "Oh, maybe I should have done my Orange Cassidy tribute, after all."

But no, in light of the past day, this was absolutely the right OP at the right time.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I know they say they feel some folks will walk out, but the flip side is you have to assume being private and not answering to shareholders, with Saudi money, Vince can offer some pretty obscene money to folks he wants on the roster. "Everybody has a price" immediately comes to mind, and this would give him some pretty deep pockets. I'd imagine this and the "Bye" tweet from Andrade would mean we know someone who will take one of those paychecks.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I know they say they feel some folks will walk out, but the flip side is you have to assume being private and not answering to shareholders, with Saudi money, Vince can offer some pretty obscene money to folks he wants on the roster. "Everybody has a price" immediately comes to mind, and this would give him some pretty deep pockets. I'd imagine this and the "Bye" tweet from Andrade would mean we know someone who will take one of those paychecks.

yeah but the people vince would want to hire are not the people we want to watch

MagellThawmusfacetious
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    never dieThawmusAndy JoeMNC DoverGoose!ShadowenLBD_Nytetrayn
    So, WWE aside, currently I only watch AEW. I was thinking about picking up another show since I work from home and have time to watch stuff while spreadsheeting. What do folks recommend as a good watch with weekly content? Impact? Something Japanese? The only thing out is WWE simply because I've tried and found it focuses too much on like 4 people and the camera work is just too obnoxious for me

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I want to believe there would be lots of walk outs if the deal happens but I know there won't be.

They all been fine traveling to Saudi Arabia before. Even Zayn, who doesn't work the shows, just signed a big multi year deal, prob knowing those shows would continue.

And really I can't blame them. Yeah, AEW, Japan, Indy are options but there won't be slots for everyone. And I'm sure being in WWE is the dream for many.

I could maybe see someone like Woods leaving since he has lots of non WWE ventures and presence but I'm sure he wonders how long that would last without him being on TV ever week

MagellThawmusVyolynceMNC DoverBloodsheedKreutz
    So, WWE aside, currently I only watch AEW. I was thinking about picking up another show since I work from home and have time to watch stuff while spreadsheeting. What do folks recommend as a good watch with weekly content? Impact? Something Japanese? The only thing out is WWE simply because I've tried and found it focuses too much on like 4 people and the camera work is just too obnoxious for me

Weekly your only real option is Impact iirc

But NJPW just started their year and this is where the storylines start. So while not weekly it’s a good place to jump in.

Weekly your only real option is Impact iirc

But NJPW just started their year and this is where the storylines start. So while not weekly it’s a good place to jump in.

They do still have the weekly show on AXS I believe, which is usually a little behind and Strong is on every week, but I wouldn't really recommend that.

I'd recommend getting a subscription to IWTV or Fite+ which will give you access to a bunch of indies, most importantly being Beyond on IWTV and GCW on Fite+. GCW is pretty close to weekly shows and Beyond runs pretty regularly as well, but other promotions are going to have a lot of the same wrestlers as well. GCW hasn't been great lately so I'd recommend Beyond and IWTV.

Dex Dynamo
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I have a strong suspicion that this was all a weather balloon.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    Whippy
    If one service is behind a week and the other you don't recommend - what is the best way to watch NJPW either to see some past stuff or going forward? I'm assuming the other two recommended I can probably do a month or a trial of and see a sample of what I'd expect. Isn't GCW known for a bunch of deathmatches?

edited January 2023

Impact and MLW have weekly shows. Impact is on AXS and their youtube channel for I think $1 a month, MLW streams on a free service called Pro Wrestling TV. Both are pre-taped, but Impact does some live ppvs throughout the year. CMLL also uploads their Friday night shows to their youtube channel. Beyond Wrestling hosts "Wrestling Open" every week on IWTV and "Uncharted Territory" in a seasons format, both are streamed live.

NJPW is the only Japanese promotion that does do a weekly English language show (on AXS and Roku channel) afaik, but it's several weeks behind the full events that stream on NJPW World. The yalso have their American brand, NJPW Strong, which streams on NJPW World. Stardom does a Japanese language a weekly highlights show that's about an hour long on youtube and usually includes one or two full matches. Gatoh Move's ChocoPro shows are all on youtube in full but the schedule for those varies, sometimes they stream multiple times a week. But most promotions there do a touring schedule with one or two "main" shows a month rather than weekly tv.

If you want something you can binge or have on in the background, Lucha Underground is years old but really storyline heavy, easy to follow, and all on Archive.
    If one service is behind a week and the other you don't recommend - what is the best way to watch NJPW either to see some past stuff or going forward? I'm assuming the other two recommended I can probably do a month or a trial of and see a sample of what I'd expect. Isn't GCW known for a bunch of deathmatches?

NJPW World is the easiest and best way to watch NJPW since (almost) everything is streamed live on it and then available on vod. GCW is known for deahtmatches, but maybe 70% of their content is just general indie wrestling. They've actually been featuring a ton of lucha the past year or so.

hailtothekale on
    MagellPwnanObrien
    GCW really only has one real deathmatch a show now and then one match with a bunch of weapon spots. Except for the deathmatch tournament shows it's pretty easy to avoid those matches, especially since there is a bunch of lead time for them to setup all the crazy weapons that are going to be used in those matches and then it takes a bunch of time to clean up everything afterword.

hailtothekale
    Oh yeah, totally forgot about the latest WOW reboot. It's on the CW app, and I've been meaning to check it out but haven't yet and can't vouch for it. I absolutely loved the 2000s WOW, and everything I've heard about this incarnation sounds so colorful and cheesy I need to make time for it.

• I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I have a strong suspicion that this was all a weather balloon.

I don't think it was a trial balloon because the one thing we've established this last week is against all logic and rationality, the entire fate of the WWE rests in the hands of Vince McMahon, a 78 year old insane person. And part of what we've established there is he truly, utterly does not care what anyone else thinks, up to including his own company board and/or children, so this is entirely about trying to understand what's going on inside the mind of Vince McMahon, 78 year old insane person.

Which is itself a task, but the best I can figure is this:
    • If what matters to Vince is holding control over his own company until he literally collapses dead at his desk under a mounted T-Rex skull, anything else past that be damned: yes, the Saudi deal makes perfect sense to him. PIF's probably the only buyer that would allow his to keep running the company--they could give a shit about his personal issues and he's the only person they've dealt with throughout the existing deals so why alter that?
    • If what matters to Vince is having the most money before he dies: again, Saudi deal. If this is really a highest-bidder situation, then I find it hard to believe Comcast or Disney is going to outbid PIF.
    • If what matters to Vince is the enduring legacy of WWE as a third, now fourth, generation run family company: he invents a time machine and goes back to before he performed the corporate equivalent of disowning both his children. This ship has sailed and been scuttled with ten tons of dynamite already.
    • If what matters to Vince is the WWE name and its enduring legacy as the prominent brand of sports entertainment forever, and securing a transition that is profitable but also painless, devoid of regulatory and governmental scrutiny, and potentially triggering massive disruptions within its own holdings: Probably see what Comcast has to offer.

From a "smooth transition of power" perspective, at this point fielding a sensible offer from Comcast makes the most sense. The problem here is, because I can't stress this enough, Vince McMahon is a 78 year old insane person, so sense is not his top factor here. The first option continues to be the most plausible based on everything we publicly know about the man and that really gives credence to most of the rumors we've heard already ultimately being true.

ThawmusMatevKyouguPerrsunReynolds

NJPW world is the way to view that stuff, they only have an app for Amazon Fire TV devices so you have to watch it in a web browser but it’s totally serviceable

One thing to note though their subscription ruins from the 1st to the last day of the month NOT in 30day periods so if you subscribed today you would get billed again on the 1st of Feb and if you cancel you immediately lose access

Oh yeah, totally forgot about the latest WOW reboot. It's on the CW app, and I've been meaning to check it out but haven't yet and can't vouch for it. I absolutely loved the 2000s WOW, and everything I've heard about this incarnation sounds so colorful and cheesy I need to make time for it.

I just watched the most recent episode of this since I had no clue it existed, was free, and frankly, the WWE women's division is the one thing I'm sort of jealous of (AEW's is improving). It's really good in some ways, and bad in others. First, it does depend on your tolerance of Tessa Blanchard, I remember there was something bad about her behavior, but putting that aside:
    * Really, really great video packages before the matches. They told the story of why the match was happening perfectly without me needing to watch prior episodes
    * Stupid fun gimmicks - it really does feel like a throwback where even the more bland folks had stupid pun names
    * Good production values - the video packages look good and the in-match action is pretty well captured
    * Good action - all the matches were decent and had a nice pace where you didn't have that feeling that they were just pausing between moves/spots

The only issue I really had was the commentary. It was nearly unlistenable. The two talked over each other, mostly just screamed out move names, and repeated themselves the entire time. It almost felt like there were two independent commentators who couldn't hear each other because there was absolutely no real conversation between them.
    Essentially things like this - turned up to 11 the whole time:
    A: Tessa kicked out
    B: Omg she kicked out
    A: Hard to believe Tessa kicked out
    B: The beast is stunned she kicked out
    A: What a move to kick out of

When Tessa got a chair, I think they announced it 3 times, at the same time, once to clarify it was steel chair, in case you thought she was going to use a wicker chair or something. They must have yelled she had something in her hand like a dozen times later in the match. It was easily the worst I've heard - it felt a ton like an old video game when they first tried to use recorded voices.

edited January 2023

I just watched the most recent episode of this since I had no clue it existed, was free, and frankly, the WWE women's division is the one thing I'm sort of jealous of (AEW's is improving). It's really good in some ways, and bad in others. First, it does depend on your tolerance of Tessa Blanchard, I remember there was something bad about her behavior, but putting that aside:
    * Really, really great video packages before the matches. They told the story of why the match was happening perfectly without me needing to watch prior episodes
    * Stupid fun gimmicks - it really does feel like a throwback where even the more bland folks had stupid pun names
    * Good production values - the video packages look good and the in-match action is pretty well captured
    * Good action - all the matches were decent and had a nice pace where you didn't have that feeling that they were just pausing between moves/spots

The only issue I really had was the commentary. It was nearly unlistenable. The two talked over each other, mostly just screamed out move names, and repeated themselves the entire time. It almost felt like there were two independent commentators who couldn't hear each other because there was absolutely no real conversation between them.

When Tessa got a chair, I think they announced it 3 times, at the same time, once to clarify it was steel chair, in case you thought she was going to use a wicker chair or something. They must have yelled she had something in her hand like a dozen times later in the match. It was easily the worst I've heard - it felt a ton like an old video game when they first tried to use recorded voices.

Oh, that's the WOW series from 2019. They started airing a new season a couple months ago after they fired Tessa, she hasn't worked for them since. Thought it was also on the streaming app but guess I was wrong, it must only be on tv.

hailtothekale on

Oh, that's the WOW series from 2019. They started airing a new season a couple months ago after they fired Tessa, she hasn't worked for them since. Thought it was also on the streaming app but guess I was wrong, it must only be on tv.

Whoops - you're right - it was dated January so I assumed it was current. Turns out that was 2022.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    EDIT: I am late to the conversation!

Tessa Blanchard has a history of being a locker room bully and racist. This coming from a LOT of public sources. Chelsea Green, Rebel (Reba from AEW), Allison Kay, the list goes on.

She once put out a tweet saying women should support each other and it was like the 5 armies of Middle Earth came to her doorstep to tell her to take her hypocritical shit down.

My understanding is that with the latest season of WOW there was some disagreement between her and management and she's no longer with WOW, though?

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
    MagellPwnanObrienBlackDragon480
This discussion has been closed.