As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a [Kids] World. [Parents] Just Live in It

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My daughter was sitting at her iPad writing stuff down. Eventually she showed me this:

Spoilered for necessary big:
    bxf9lyc3orcd.jpeg
    z190s1mfggnh.jpeg

I asked her what this was and she explained that she was basically transcribing the lyrics from a My Little Pony song.

https://youtu.be/J8kkKLxwlSg

Honestly, not bad for a 7-year old. Great practice for writing.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I do not think I have ever, or ever will, struggled for anything in my life as hard as my daughter struggles to pass gas.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I do not think I have ever, or ever will, struggled for anything in my life as hard as my daughter struggles to pass gas.

My daughter has no problems on the other hand. Trying to keep her from farting all over the house is a chore. I swear she can fart on command.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    child had sickness on saturday. light fever,sore throat.otherwise fine.

I now have sickness. sore throat,full body shivers, body temp varying wildly from normal to fuck you fever. and even a little vomit thrown in.

I hate winter.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Any more game recommendations for young kids? We got the Rescue Dogs Escape From Butcher Bay game, Pokemon Violet, Kirby Forgotten Lands and that Remaster (she loves the minigames) and Just Dance. Games without a fail state would be ideal, and I've been eyeballing that Lego Racing game coming but I haven't actually looked into it

Edit: also have Mario kart and Brain Age

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Lego Skywalker saga is pretty great, and if they can read Stardew is always there.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I say it every time this comes up but Goat Simulator and Totally Reliable Delivery Service are both great games like that. Chaotic sandbox, no fail state, no real stakes or enemies. Human Fall Flat is another good one like that but you might need to play it with her. Untitled Goose Game can be a lot of fun.

And of course, the darkest inevitable path, Minecraft.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I will keep repeating this for forever:

Alba.

Alba.

Alba!

Also, there's the free point-n-click adventure/illustrated story book Tukoni

Also Pikuniku, an exceedingly silly platformer that had my kid trying to explain the plot to his classmates with his own handdrawn illustrations.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    A Short Hike.

It's feel good and totally charming story about a little bird who explores an island with a great soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/usBVx4J4CUM

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ours plays a lot of Lego Skywalker Saga. In between that he blows things up in Teardown, has 100%'d Lil' Gator Game, played through A Short Hike (managed to get 7 feathers) and we're currently playing Castle Crashers co-op.

Couch co-op wise we've done Goose Game (and he's played that on his own), Moving Out, Tools Up, Overcooked and a bunch more that I can't remember.

It helps that he has his own Deck and has access to my library for any games that I remember and think might be appropriate.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    A few months ago my youngest daughter's teachers noticed she had been spacing out a bit more than usual at school and wondered if maybe we should have our daughter checked for ADHD. We've often suspected it in both our daughters, so after consulting with the Down Syndrome clinic we were referred to a child psych who specializes in autism and related disorders--(note, my daughter has never been diagnosed with autism.) After a few appointments they prescribed Gaunfacine since allegedly that works on kids with DS who have ADHD and since it's not a stimulant it doesn't have the same problems that come with stimulants. She started at a small dose at the beginning of April and went onto a larger dose by the end of April. During that time her behavior kept getting worse and worse with more defiance and irrational behavior at home and numerous attempts to bolt in unsafe places.

Come to this morning and while I'm getting the car ready to drive her to school she slipped out of the house in the 10-15 seconds I had my back turned and took me on an hour long adventure with the local police trying to find her. She's now safely at school I'm a fucking nervous wreck now.

We notified the shrink a week ago that her behavior does not seem to have improved an if anything has gotten worse and they responded with "well, what would you like to do? Increase the dose? Try some stimulants??" and I was like fuck you, you're the fucking doctor, you tell me what the research shows, don't just try to pass off your responsibilities on to me. So we've been spending the past week trying to figure out what to do next--get a second opinion? stop using the medication? Go back to the DS clinic? We tried asking the DS clinic but they were useless saying they deferred to whatever the shrink wanted to do so instead we decided to switch to a different doctor. My plan for today was to reach out to that doctor, but I think first things first after this mornings' disaster is to quit the Guanfacine. It's certainly not helping and might be making things worse.

The really frustrating this was that while this was a problem years ago we thought she had outgrown it. I'm hoping quitting the medicine stops this behavior because if we can't keep her safe we might have to start looking into a full-time residential program.

Here's the thing though, most kids with DS don't have this problem! I've got friends and neighbors with kids with DS and they can trust their kid to walk independently from their car to their gymnastics lesson at the local YMCA while, I have to be at least 3-feet behind my kid in any place I go to so as to head off her bolting in some unsafe direction.

Anyway. Feeling very frustrated and helpless so I just wanted to vent. Thanks for reading all this.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Oh man, adhd medication. Based on my limited non-doctor experience, but having two kids with adhd.. it's more of an art than a science. My son started with guanfacine, and it made him more irritable, but he said it did help him organize his brain better. When we tried taking him off, it caused a lot more problems than staying on it did, so he stays on for now.. So we added stimulants alongside. We couldn't get a proper psychiatrist at that time, so our pediatrician is doing the prescribing, and isn't really open to trying too much. Now that we know the basic combo works well, I am trying to find a proper psychiatrist to see if we can fine-tune things better.
    But talking with a lot of other parents, it seems a lot of people try a lot of different medications. There is technically genetic testing that some people say helps narrow things down, but it's not fool-proof. It's mostly trial and error.
    It's extremely frustrating, and I hope you can find what you need.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    The app we used to limit tablet use quietly stopped working.. Kid figured it out and started to get up quietly in the night. According to the app he was out and about at 5 in the morning, a full hour before he was even allowed out of his room. I hate all apps and everything and I hate it all forever and ever and arghhh.

We were worried that he seemed so tired, but now we know why.

Last year he was loud AF when he would get up in the middle of the night, now he's a lot quieter.

Really pissed off about this. We are all so fucking tired and its so fucking hard to try and raise a child right.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Happy Mother's Day folks.

I've gotten a lovely card, some artwork, and fresh pastries from a local bakery.

• Options
    I got Mrs Moon some things from Bath and Body and I was going to get her something from Williams Sonoma, but I figured it was better to let her decide what she needed next for her baking and went with a gift card

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Oh my fucking God Dallas. Stay in your own bed. I've brought you back six times now and my wife another...eight?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Jaina gave the wife a card with little coupons in it for "wash dishes," "clean windows," and the like. And I thought it was cute.

Though those tend to be the things I do on a day to day basis...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Our neighborhood on a quiet, idyllic Mother's Day as we weed the front yard together: Distant lawnmower a few blocks over. Some chirping birds. Otherwise peaceful, joyous near-silence

Middle Guy, riding by on his bike past the front yard every sixty seconds or so and "speaking" how most people shout: I'M ONE WITH THE WIIIIIND...

• Options
    Absolute pile of art projects from Little King to mom, some small gifts sprinkled in from a recent visit to the Hema and he made her two postcards with cool Pokemon. Also managed a small breakfast in bed.

• Options
    Little Man currently getting his expander for his braces in. "And thank God," he says on the car ride in, rubbing the sides of his mouth. "Because I only had them two days, and I hate these spacers"

:#

Oh buddy. Gonna get a little worse before it gets better, I'm afraid

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Man, how do people handle birthdays? Growing up I had a bunch of similar age friends from people we knew at church, so it was a small, low key thing in the backyard or w/e, but now we don’t go to church, and we haven’t really talked to our daughters friends parents at all (Kindergarten is almost over, and she’s never really had many people her age around), so the past four years have all been pretty small. I think the first year maybe we did a kind of big thing, with lots of the family over, but especially post COVID it’s usually the three of us at the zoo. And she wants to do something with her friends, at a trampoline parks, and I don’t know any of the other kids parents, so who knows if anyone will show up for anything we try and do… we don’t even have any way to contact the other parents. We don’t ever see most of them, and the few times we’ve tried to reach out, no one ever tries to contact us.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    do you have the option of leaving invites for the other kids at kindergarten?

that was the standard way of doing things when Ellie was that young. Eventually we ended up connecting with the friends that she played with and we all picked ourkids up around the same time.

But most communication was handled at first by leaving notes/invites at daycare by the sign in/sign out sheet or by having the teachers be willing messengers to deliver them

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    do you have the option of leaving invites for the other kids at kindergarten?

that was the standard way of doing things when Ellie was that young. Eventually we ended up connecting with the friends that she played with and we all picked ourkids up around the same time.

But most communication was handled at first by leaving notes/invites at daycare by the sign in/sign out sheet or by having the teachers be willing messengers to deliver them

We were thinking of asking the teacher, we just weren’t sure if that was a thing that was ok to do. I feel bad asking teachers to do extra stuff, they’re already overworked and under paid.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Birthdays are weird with young kids.

Do you leave your kid at the party or stay?

Is this a kid’s birthday party or more of a gathering of adults who happen to have kids?

Am I expected to abide by all the stupid gender rules when picking out a gift?

Why am I covered in blood?

Just lots of questions

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    My son was having an issue in his taekwondo class. The actual class is great. But they often have an end-of-class activity where the instructor will kick the ball and try to hit the kids dodge-ball style (the kids have free reign of the room, and often run and hide behind the pillars in the room to stay untagged). My son used to be OK traveling with the pack, hiding and trying to avoid the ball. The past month, however, he became anxious and said he felt too much pressure. He'd cower and be too scared to move. I'd reassure him it doesn't matter if he gets out and it's just a game. Saturday however... He decided to just skip around the room heedless of the instructor. Didn't care where the ball was, or if it was aimed his way. Planted a big smile on his face and just went in a big circle. When he was tagged out, he just sat down. It was pretty funny, and I was so relieved he found a way to make it fun. He was never the first one out, and never won, and he was fine with whatever happened.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Summer Break of 2023, Day 1: Tiny Wonder (fresh off graduating preschool!) spent the morning pretending to water the backyard, but in actuality made/played in about six mud puddles after about the first five minutes. I've heard the "peanut butter, jelly time" song roughly six thousand times. He's currently constructing Great Old Ones out of Magna-Tiles and feeding them Weebles, because "they've been bad children"

So we're off to a good start

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    My family caught COVID... basically on my brithday a few weeks ago.

My daughter has been feeling much better and is no longer really showing any symptoms, but she still has some post-nasal drip and nasal congestion

which means she rubs her nose all over your shoulder when you hold her tummy-to-chest.

Thanks kid.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Sometimes you’re like…”have I done a good job raising these kids…” then you go outside and your 7 year old is playing in water singing A Tribe Called Quest and for that moment…you know you nailed it.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    10yr-old's new best friend is switching to They/Them. I can see it, but I'm still torn between "the kid's are alright" and "my heart weeps for a nice kid who's going to have shitheel's throwing shit their way they in no way deserve for probably the rest of their life".

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    I would like to stop having agonising emotional conversations about our child's potential school district now please. It's exhausting.

• Options
    Dad level achieved: Falling asleep in the theater

It was the live action Little Mermaid so I didn't miss much

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    The only time I’ve ever fallen asleep in the theater was during Ocean’s 12 but to be fair, my friends showed up after I was already plastered and decided to go to the movie.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I fell asleep during the original Little Mermaid in the theater, but in all fairness I was diagnosed with mono a day or two later.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I fell asleep in the theater during the Lego Movie 2 but in all fairness it's not as good as the first one and I was tired.

Bonus points in that I fell asleep next to my Mom, who also fell asleep, leaving my wife as the only conscious adult with our two children. It all worked out fine.

• Options
    I feel asleep at the theatre during Phantom Menace and the Final Fantasy movie

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I feel asleep at the theatre during Phantom Menace and the Final Fantasy movie

Good choices honestly.

• Options
  • Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

You can’t just call your kid a hot dog!!!

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    My sleep in the theater story is this:
    In college-times I used to put on the Nightmare Before Christmas dvd and then fall asleep to it… did that for a whole summer, then moved away and didn’t bring the dvd with me. No big deal, I just readjusted.

Then the 3D Nightmare Before Christmas remake came out in theaters. Went to go see it on a date.

And after the first song my brain goes “Hey guess what behavioral conditioning I still have programmed in me!”

Perrsun on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

You can’t just call your kid a hot dog!!!

https://youtu.be/lHhheCf0G1I

Of course not. You have to sing the hot dog song too!