As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We'll never be free of [Twitter]'s wretched curse

• asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    ...Also yes you probably do own too many books and you should get rid of them.

no i will play Lancer with people someday

someday

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    i never match my sock patterns

two different patterns of sock, one on each foot, every day, intentionally

if i draw a matching pair i throw one back and try again

I do own several pairs of socks that are purposely mismatched (but complimentary). Matching colors in different patterns, different width stripes, reversed patterns, etc. Stance used to do a bunch of sets like that, but I never see new ones anymore.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Lucedes
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    "please unblock me, everyone"

OneAngryPossumOdinOptyRhesus PositivemrpakuhonovereShadowfireAlexandierOrcaMaddocKane Red RobeMagellHacksawMunkus BeaverLucedesArdolNiryaSolarDee KaeCantidecursedkingBucketman
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Also yes you probably do own too many books and you should get rid of them.

no

What would I put in my library then?!

I guarantee you have some really bad shitty books in your collection that you did not enjoy reading. Throw those out. Keep the ones you think are good. You have too many books.

Nah. Moving three times in four years took care of that problem real easily. Every book I owned that wasn't worth reading again was donated to the library from the town I grew up in to sell at their annual book fair.

Blake TtynicStraightziEinzelHacksawnever dieA Dabble Of Thelonius
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I could probably stand to clear out some novels if I could reach my library shelf past the many cardboard boxes guarding it.

Basically all the manga I've ever owned is gonna be leaving though so that'll free up some of a shelf.

Ketar wrote: »

no

I guarantee you have some really bad shitty books in your collection that you did not enjoy reading. Throw those out. Keep the ones you think are good. You have too many books.

Nah. Moving three times in four years took care of that problem real easily. Every book I owned that wasn't worth reading again was donated to the library from the town I grew up in to sell at their annual book fair.

Having movers look at your record collection and literally say "absolutely fucking not" is a good wake up call that you should probably sell off some shit.

EinzelOrcaKane Red Robe
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    If I were to devote a whole drawer to underwear that could work, but currently they share with socks

I don't do a super small fold though, just once or twice and stack 'em

I don't see the point in folding socks either

So you’re just a vagrant in your own home it seems!

Sounds… well, kind of kickass, actually.

Lucedes

HSSSSSSSSSSSSAAAARRRRRRRRR!!!

Orca
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Marie Kondo isn’t hardcore enough for me, I use Munkensmat

Prohass on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular

no

I love my books, but they are the absolute worst thing thing to move. They pack super well, which means you can really eke every little bit of space out of a box.

Which results in very condensed, heavy boxes.

sarukunLokarnKetarRhesus PositiveSorcepookamrpakuDisruptedCapitalistMysstNeveronOghulkSweeney Tomhonovereph blakePsykomaShadowfiredjmitchellaKane Red RobeMagellnever dieMulysaSemproniusOneAngryPossumMunkus BeaverArdolHefflingBucketman
    Kelor wrote: »

no

I love my books, but they are the absolute worst thing thing to move. They pack super well, which means you can really eke every little bit of space out of a box.

My first time moving to a new place I had the bright idea to get one big box and perfectly fit all my books inside it. Conservation of space and all.

My folly was revealed when I went to try moving the box and learned that no amount of leverage was going to budge that leviathan

DisruptedCapitalistMegaMan001OrcaKane Red RobeBucketman
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Yeah, when I last moved books were not allowed to take up more than half a box for the sake of my back. Doubly important since the majority of the books I own are bulky reference books

Einzel
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I don't have many books at all but for some reason there is a permanent spot in my brain that tells me to save small boxes so you can pack books in them.

sarukunOrcamatthias00
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    i never match my sock patterns

two different patterns of sock, one on each foot, every day, intentionally

if i draw a matching pair i throw one back and try again

From the (very early) moment I started having my kiddo pick her own clothes, she has exclusively chosen mismatched socks. Often including making it one ankle sock one long sock.

Lucedeswandering
    I can't stand having low ankle socks. Big comfy white socks that reach well up my shins only.

expendable
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »

no

My first time moving to a new place I had the bright idea to get one big box and perfectly fit all my books inside it. Conservation of space and all.

My folly was revealed when I went to try moving the box and learned that no amount of leverage was going to budge that leviathan

When I first moved, my parents told me outright not to put all my books into one box, but to just spread them out among the different boxes.

Pretty good advice, because I would absolutely have stuffed all my books into one box otherwise.

I can't stand having low ankle socks. Big comfy white socks that reach well up my shins only.

Shin socks make my hair uncomfortable.

RanlinKristmas KthulhuEinzelOrcaMaddocHappy Little Machine
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

I'm not sure what the name for it is but I don't like the ones that go under the ankle, but just above is my preferred length 'cause I've got hairy ass satyr legs

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Listen here you

TynnanmrpakuDisruptedCapitalistZonugalOghulkminor incidentCentipede DamascusOrcaMaddocasofyeunMunkus BeaverA Dabble Of TheloniusArdolBucketman
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Preparing to move, I packed my suitcases full of books

Made sense - the suitcases have wheels and handles, so they'll be much easier to move around

Then I pulled a butt muscle getting the larger suitcase down the stairs

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Kane Red Robe
    Ranlin wrote: »

I'm not sure what the name for it is but I don't like the ones that go under the ankle, but just above is my preferred length 'cause I've got hairy ass satyr legs

Ankle socks.

Or like, fuckin’ adult human socks, that’s how I think of ‘em. I wore shin socks for a lotta years, and when I switched I realized that they were uncomfortable my whole life, I’ll never go back.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Socks should rub off all your leg hair below an obvious line on your lower calf

w7ovrj6izayj.jpeg

Where did all that hair go it’s a mystery

Captain Inertia on
    DisruptedCapitalistOghulkMegaMan001NothingRhesus Positivewebguy20MulysaSemproniusLucedes
    Can’t believe y’all got me to post a foot pic

BahamutZEROJragghenLucedes
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    It was around -44 the other night so I put on some big thick socks before going to bed!

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

no

I go through and get rid of those every year or so, actually.

I just happen to think a lot of books are good and/or important.

Poorochondriacminor incidentTynnantynicKane Red RobeLokarnMagellDisruptedCapitalist
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I tried under-ankle socks but they kept slipping off when I took my shoes off

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

I misread this as "skin socks" and got briefly confused and frightened.

sarukun
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Legitimately one of the things that brings me the greatest joy (if we want to use that metric) is having someone over for a party or whatever and having a conversation in which a book that I think they would like or be interested in comes up and just being able to drag them into the other room and put that book in their hands. That's a deeply rewarding feeling, and isn't really matched by, "oh there was a book about that, shit I can't remember the author, I'll look it up and text it to you later." And that requires, to some degree, a decent sized collection of books, both because I read a lot and because my memory sucks ass so having that physicality is necessary.

Anyways I never watched Kondo, because I was pretty sure her thing wasn't going to jive with my thing. I don't disagree with her principles, as I've heard them reiterated, I just think that my version of a house full of things that spark joy and all have a place to be might be radically different.

mrpakuBahamutZEROMaddoctynicKane Red RobeMagellA Dabble Of TheloniusIndie WinterDee Kae
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    They have special loose-necked socks for diabetics because if you wear normal socks they strangulate your tiny weak blood vessels and your feet hurt.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Can’t believe y’all got me to post a foot pic

Let's turn this into the show off your gnarly feet thread!!
    ob8qgyc973xo.jpg

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Captain Inertia
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    No!

Captain InertiaKristmas KthulhuOghulkBrovid HasselsmofFlarneBrolomrpakuSLyMCarpyMegaMan001honovereminor incidentsarukunGoose!DarkPrimusNarbusReynoldsLadaiKetarBloodsheedShadowfireBahamutZEROVeldrinKnight_TonkkaMaddocRhesus PositiveTefCap'n SEGDiarmuidtynicasofyeunTNTrooperJragghenMvrckAtari SoulHappy Little MachineadytumMagellSirToastyHacksawshoeboxjeddyWeaverMulysaSemproniusMillEinzelDouglasDangerMercutio87Munkus BeaverA Dabble Of TheloniusGarthorWheatBun01LucedesIndie WinterArdolNiryaDee KaeCantideGR_ZombieSonelanSageinaRageSporkAndrewDisruptedCapitalistexpendablecursedkingDark Raven XBucketman
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Yes!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    BroloBahamutZEROasofyeun
    Oh no I’ve put my foot in it haven’t I

Neveron wrote: »

I misread this as "skin socks" and got briefly confused and frightened.

That’s what the hardcore terrain runners wear

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    They have special loose-necked socks for diabetics because if you wear normal socks they strangulate your tiny weak blood vessels and your feet hurt.

Don't they constantly fall down? I have a hard enough time keeping regular socks up. Every time I take my work boots off my socks are drooping flaccidly off the end of my toes

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Don't they constantly fall down? I have a hard enough time keeping regular socks up. Every time I take my work boots off my socks are drooping flaccidly off the end of my toes

No, because, I assume, science?

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    On Wednesday and Thursday, Twitter’s internal Slack channels were suddenly shut down. Platformer reported that the company manually shut services off. Before that was confirmed, a Twitter employee posting on the anonymous workplace chat app Blind had speculated that it was also possible that Twitter had shut down employee access because it had stopped paying its Slack bills.

Whatever the reason driving Twitter’s decision to remove Slack access, it resulted in a very unproductive work day for some Twitter employees who were suddenly unable to communicate, Platformer reported. At the same time that employees lost Slack access, they also couldn’t access Jira, a tracking software that Platformer said engineers use to ship code and monitor progress on new features. Rather than being equipped to go “hardcore,” some decided to just take the day off. Other employees took two days off.

Apparently, Twitter told employees that the Slack channel was down for “routine maintenance,” but a Slack employee told Platformer that was “bullshit.”

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/02/report-more-twitter-drama-after-slack-shutdown-employees-play-hooky/amp/

OrcatynicArdolCantideBucketman
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I have a dedicated bookshelf to books and it helps me maintain like a normal amount, I think?

Someone here posted in one of the House threads their reading room / library and it was fucking floor to ceiling books with a real comfy looking chair and blanket and man, bury me there.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    uohe4wnc7bvb.jpeg

@Brolo you agent of chaos

CarpysarukunGoose!MegaMan001BroloKristmas KthulhuZonugalSLyMLadaiReynoldsmilskiAlexandierVeldrinKnight_OrcaTonkkaProlegomenaRhesus PositiveDisruptedCapitalistDiarmuidasofyeunTNTrooperMortal Sky101MvrckHappy Little MachineHacksawshoeboxjeddyOdinnever dieproxy_hueMunkus BeaverLucedesArdolexpendablecursedkingwanderingBucketman
This discussion has been closed.