As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We'll never be free of [Twitter]'s wretched curse

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    Also yes you probably do own too many books and you should get rid of them.

no

What would I put in my library then?!

I guarantee you have some really bad shitty books in your collection that you did not enjoy reading. Throw those out. Keep the ones you think are good. You have too many books.

I go through and get rid of those every year or so, actually.

I just happen to think a lot of books are good and/or important.

That’s good! I’m never going to say it easy to write a book, or make a thing, but often I find a thing that doesn’t jive with me and I just stare at it and it’s a weight.

One of my very much core memories was 12 year old me, saving up for several weeks for the next book in the series that I had read like six times but I dearly loved at the time, finally and I was finally able to buy the next book in the series. And my dad (who has many flaws) told me that’s all I read and I should buy something else, and he told me, that I wasn’t buying the book I want, and it was some random book that I can’t remember. But I was forced to buy it, and I never got more than 12 pages in, because every time I read that book I was forced to buy, I just got angry.

I viewed that book as a thing I didn’t want. I for years, whenever I saw that book I had a huge resentment to that book, it made me upset.

I’m never telling people to throw out good stories, but a lot of times people have shit books that they keep because they’re books and it’s like, books aren’t holy (unless I guess they’re the Bible or something) they’re allowed to be not great, and that’s ok too. But if they’re bad books, why keep them around you?

adytumSolar
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    In the time I have known him, I have not known Brolo to give very many fucks.

sarukun on
    BroloOrca
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I don’t have as many books as I imagine some of the folks here probably do. I mean, I have significantly more than the average human probably does, but we’re talking in the high dozens, not even hundreds. Because my vice is records, and I learned a long time ago that obsessively collecting two forms of large, heavy, outdated physical media was going to be untenable.

That said, I have probably a similar take on what and why I keep things as most book people probably do. Sometimes you’re in the mood for something specific, and that specific thing doesn’t need to be an arbitrary 5-star thing, as long as it’s the genre or style your brain is currently craving. So it helps to keep a large stock of… I guess let’s say “3 star” and up pieces around.

And then I have a handful of things that are total shit, but I love the band/author so much that it brings me great joy to have a complete collection of their work.

There’s also some things I don’t personally like all that much, but I keep around for the express purpose of giving away once I find a specific person who would be into it.

And there are some where the record/book just looks cool. I’m a fucking magpie sometimes, and I’m okay with that.

People can go a little crazy collecting media, sure, but there are plenty of perfectly fine reasons to do it, and even to keep things aren’t that aren’t “great.”

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have a single shelf of books, mostly gardening books and plant/bird/insect/fungi ID guides. I own one physical novel, because it was a secret satan's gift. Having too many books I never open stresses me out.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I have a ton of D&D, Shadowrun, and other assorted ttrpg books, a bunch of game guides and art books, and about one shelf of regular novels. Maybe a bit more.

But my daughter has two bookshelves full of kids books. A lot of them were my Dr Seuss books from when I was a kid, and then a bunch that we and her grandparents have bought for her. I think she has more books than we do.

Which suits me just fine.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    hey everyone rank your best feet

DisruptedCapitalist
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    1. Righty
    2. Lefty
    3. Meters

BahamutZERO.gif
    tynic
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    1. right foot
    2. left foot

left foot needs to stop hurting if it wants to move up the rankings

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    1. Brolo’s feet

DisruptedCapitalist
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

feels like the changes to telehealth w/r/t adhd meds isn't just "kill every last little bit of COVID safety enforcement left" but "oh yeah biden hulks out if you say the word 'drugs' in his presence"

speaking of how's that "instructing xavier beccerra to look into maybe sorta doing something about relaxing the classification of marijuana" coming along

just checked and it appears to be just literally "we're continuing to look into it". great work guys, just top shelf

d8rp9j6n5g2e.png

God I forgot the whole sleight of hand they pulled with marijuana rescheduling.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    mrpakuBloodsheedShadowfiretynicDarkPrimusSweeney TomMagellLadaishoeboxjeddyproxy_hueCommander ZoomVegemyteArdolSorceDee KaeFANTOMASBucketman
    Ugh

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited February 2023
    Remember folks! Only reason’s pot illegal is because shitty white surpremacists in the early 20th century associated it with black folks and thought it’d lead white women to having interracial sex, plus it gave them a whole new justification to lock up even more black folks.

Then of course this bit!
    You want to know what this [war on drugs] was really all about? The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying?

We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news.

Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.

Amazing how many policies and laws are explicitly born from white supremacy, yet plenty of democratic leaders will back them to the fucking hilt.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    BahamutZEROBloodsheedmrpakudestroyah87ShadowfireKristmas KthulhuStyrofoam SammichTNTrooperMortal SkyTicaldfjamDarkPrimusSweeney TomUbikNeveronMagellHappy Little MachineHacksawLadaishoeboxjeddyproxy_hueCommander ZoomVegemyteLucedessarukunArdolSorceDee KaewanderingBucketman
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Remember folks! Only reason’s pot illegal is because shitty white surpremacists in the early 20th century associated it with black folks and thought it’d lead white women to having interracial sex, plus it gave them a whole new justification to lock up even more black folks.

Amazing how many policies and laws are explicitly born from white supremacy, yet plenty of democratic leaders will back them to the fucking hilt.

black folks and mexican migrant workers

some forms of racism are eternal

Speed RacerShadowfireLanzTicaldfjamSweeney TomHacksawLadaishoeboxjeddyMysstLucedesArdolSorceBucketman
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    But it also gave us cool Satanic music

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Was there also pressure from non-hemp paper manufacturers, or was that an attempt to retroactively find a non-racist explanation?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • TefTef Registered User regular

Then of course this bit!
    You want to know what this [war on drugs] was really all about? The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying?

We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news.

Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.

*taps the sign*

2ssnvpu0sfud.jpeg

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    LanzTicaldfjamVegemyteDee Kae

Mugi has their own little bag for going places and will go in there to get ready to go 🥹

[Mugi, apparently, goes home with the folks who run Science Factory, while the other two stay at the facility, I’m not sure why though]

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    TonkkaasofyeunArdolBucketman
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

feels like the changes to telehealth w/r/t adhd meds isn't just "kill every last little bit of COVID safety enforcement left" but "oh yeah biden hulks out if you say the word 'drugs' in his presence"

speaking of how's that "instructing xavier beccerra to look into maybe sorta doing something about relaxing the classification of marijuana" coming along

just checked and it appears to be just literally "we're continuing to look into it". great work guys, just top shelf

d8rp9j6n5g2e.png

As of January, Biden had not yet pardoned a single person under that scheme he announced.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    DarkPrimusShadowfiretynicMagellHacksawLadaiDoodmannshoeboxjeddyKadithKristmas KthulhuDouglasDangerMysstMulysaSemproniusVegemyteLucedessarukunSolarDee KaeTheySlashThemFANTOMASYamiB.wanderingBucketman
    edited February 2023

d8rp9j6n5g2e.png

As of January, Biden had not yet pardoned a single person under that scheme he announced.

Love it when the democrats just feign an affinity for social justice and assume the public has no functional object permanence, and thus have no need to actually practice said social justice.

Or, apparently, access to written history.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    mrpakuSweeney Tomminor incidentBloodsheedShadowfiredestroyah87shoeboxjeddyZonugalKristmas KthulhuReynoldsLucedesgtrmpKraintYamiB.wanderingBucketman
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular

d8rp9j6n5g2e.png

Love it when the democrats just feign an affinity for social justice and assume the public has no functional object permanence, and thus have no need to actually practice said social justice.

When confronted about this next cycle, their response is gonna be "well, what are you gonna do instead....vote Republican?!" And then they'll bitch and moan that progressives are the ones holding the ticket back. Wash rinse repeat

Sweeney TomLanzminor incidentBloodsheedShadowfireMagelldestroyah87HacksawLadaiDoodmannshoeboxjeddyZonugalKristmas Kthulhuproxy_hueMysstMulysaSemproniusReynoldsSorceDee KaeTheySlashThemKraintFANTOMASYamiB.Bucketman
    edited February 2023
    mrpaku wrote: »

d8rp9j6n5g2e.png

When confronted about this next cycle, their response is gonna be "well, what are you gonna do instead....vote Republican?!" And then they'll bitch and moan that progressives are the ones holding the ticket back. Wash rinse repeat

I’m never going to forget that, when pressed by them about his and Obama’s abysmal record on deporting Latino immigrants, Biden’s response to a woman and her translator was to tell them to go vote for Trump instead.

https://youtu.be/HBrAxeCL3Sg

Just completely ghoulish behavior by a man who seems to have found more common ground with Segregationists congressional colleagues than with oppressed and marginalized people who need justice in this country

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Sweeney TomDarkPrimusmrpakuBloodsheedShadowfireMagellFCDHacksawLadaishoeboxjeddyZonugalKristmas Kthulhuproxy_huesarukunSorceDee KaeTheySlashThemYamiB.Bucketman
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Biden was one of the most ardent champions of being Tough on Crime in the 90s and he's going out there as President now saying we need to hire tens of thousands more cops, so excuse me if I'm just a wee bit skeptical of any claims that he's going to bring progressive reform to the prison industrial complex.

DarkPrimus on
    usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    Lanzminor incidentmrpakuBloodsheedShadowfireMaddocMortal SkyLadaiDoodmannshoeboxjeddyZonugalKristmas KthulhuDouglasDangerproxy_hueMulysaSemproniussarukunSorceDee KaeTheySlashThemPeenFANTOMASYamiB.Bucketman
    edited February 2023
    Hey remember when LAPD blew up a metric fuckton of fireworks in a residential neighborhood and, you know, severely damaged nearby homes so badly that residents couldn’t live there anymore?

Yeah uh turns out they still haven’t fixed those houses, and the ones they have have either removed bedrooms or the only fixes they’d go for were literally redoing coats of paint. The residents have have been living in hotels for two years since the detonation. And now, despite still not having fixed what they broke, the city is saying that the residents have to leave the hotels, because they won’t pay for them anymore:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-02-24/lapd-fireworks-explosion-residents-hotel-move-out
    Nineteen months have passed since Los Angeles police blew up a South L.A. neighborhood while detonating a cache of fireworks, but many of the displaced families still haven’t returned. For them, “home” is 20 rooms in a luxury hotel paid for by the city.

City officials blame unresponsive residents and their foot-dragging legal counsel for delays in getting the families relocated or back into their houses. Attorneys fault insurance companies and L.A. officials. Residents point the finger at the city. And homes along the street remain boarded up. Empty.

But with a hotel bill that has run to $2.1 million, city officials say it’s time for the holdouts to check out.

“Folks have got legal counsel and have decided not to accept our help. I think others are kind of gaming the system a little bit,” said City Councilman Curren Price, who represents the neighborhood. “They’ve had it good living in the hotel rent-free for several months. They want that to last as long as it can.”

Frustrated residents and their lawyers paint a far different portrait. Families are trying to repair properties, but because the damage is so extensive, the process has taken longer and has cost more than expected, said Andrew Jacobson, who represents about a dozen people affected by the blast.

The community’s anger boiled over at a Wednesday evening meeting on the troubled street. About 30 people, including homeowners and renters, turned out in the bitter cold to vent their frustrations.

Rosalba Beltran, 67, paid off her home about a decade ago. It’s still not habitable, and she said she doesn’t know how she’ll afford rent elsewhere on a Social Security income of $1,100 a month. Renters said they hadn’t heard from a relocation consultant whose job it is to help them find a new place to live.

Cindy Reyes’ father died after the blast. She’s helping her mom pay the mortgage and said they’ve taken steps to fix their home. The family submitted plans to the city and is waiting for the proper permits to begin construction, according to their lawyer.

“Why should they be paying rent if they have their house paid off?” Reyes asked, as she gestured to the homeowners around her. “Why do I have to pay two rents — a mortgage and a rent? Why do I have to go through this struggle? You guys blew up my home. Why do I have to do all this?”

“They’ve had it good living in the hotel rent-free for several months. They want that to last as long as it can.”

motherfucker your cops blew up a fucking neighborhood and killed a man, trying to dispose of fucking fireworks. Go straight to fucking hell, you fucking ghoul.

footage of the original incident: https://youtu.be/iJcSjvbTHWU

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    mrpakuBroloRhesus PositiveBloodsheedShadowfiretynicDoodmannZonugalHappy Little MachineJragghenDarkPrimusTicaldfjamsarukunArdolSorceDee KaeBucketman
    edited February 2023

This is the most carceral ass Safeway I’ve ever been in. Bars everywhere, multiple security guards, you have to scan your receipt for the gate to open in order to exit, and if you don’t buy anything an employee has to open the gate to let you out.

Keep in mind, this is in an “expensive” neighborhood. I can only imagine how grimy it’s about to when they bring the Safeway Prison Program to “the hood.”

k1fhg6d6qelc.jpeg

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    BroloRhesus PositivemrpakuShadowfireLadainever dieTicaldfjamArdolDee KaeCantideagoajBucketman
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    god and i am annoyed when the acme near my house puts carts into the unused checkouts and closes the other door after like 9pm so you have to walk all the way down the row of checkouts to get in.

that shit would be enough to make me just go to another grocery store if i could, just ridiculous.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
    Ticaldfjam
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Can’t believe y’all got me to post a foot pic

Let's turn this into the show off your gnarly feet thread!!
    ob8qgyc973xo.jpg

for free?

EzUAYcn.png
    OrcaDisruptedCapitalist
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So many people don't have a choice on where to shop. But man, I would absolutely stop shopping there if I saw that shit go in.

One of the stores here put fucking locks on the carts. If you go the wrong direction on the store past the doors, the wheels can lock. I was moving at a normal walking speed and when that wheel locked I felt a pretty nasty pop in my wrist. The manager got an earful from me about that, and I still don't go to that store anymore.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    ArdolBucketman
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    1zhgvflp33q2.jpg

P A T H E T I C

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    tynicShadowfireMaddocminor incidentHacksawRhesus PositiveshoeboxjeddyBroloZonugalJragghendurandal4532Knight_Goose!milskiDarkPrimusToxAtari SoulHappy Little MachineMunkus BeaverVegemyteTicaldfjamOghulksarukunArdolNiryaSorceEinzelDee KaeCantideSporkAndrewBucketman
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Thanks for reposting that crwth, I knew I could rely on you

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    A man whose sense of humor ossified as "12 year old on 4chan"

UbikShadowfiremrpakuMaddocdestroyah87Neveronminor incidentTynnanDrDinosaurMortal SkyHacksawRhesus PositiveshoeboxjeddyOdinZonugalnever dieJragghendurandal4532Knight_Goose!Kristmas KthulhuDarkPrimusToxadytumMulysaSemproniusMunkus BeaverA Dabble Of TheloniusHappy Little MachineCommander ZoomVegemyteTicaldfjamReynoldsOghulkLucedessarukunIndie WinterArdolhonovereSolarNiryaSorceEinzelDee KaeMetzger MeisterTheySlashThemEtiowsaCantidepookaEtheafacetiousSporkAndrewexpendableBucketman
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    you know, the more i see of this musk guy's tweets, the more i think he might suck

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

BurtletoyOrcadestroyah87NeveronEmperorSethFCDBloodsheedshoeboxjeddyGoose!ToxArdolSorceBucketman
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    if you think that's pathetic...

ac8yefv2n2ka1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=b0847981ac879a1ac8f2691cd14e75f108a4028a

BurtletoyShadowfiredestroyah87Kane Red Robeminor incidentTynnanHacksawshoeboxjeddyOdinZonugaldurandal4532Knight_Goose!Kristmas KthulhuMunkus BeaverCommander ZoomOghulkLucedessarukunArdolhonovereDee KaeCantidewanderingBucketman
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I take some small amount of joy in the fact that no matter how much money Elon Musk has, the only thing he truly wants in life is for people to think he is cool and funny

And he will die unsatisfied

jmcdonaldFCDtynicRhesus PositiveKane Red RobeMagellBroloZonugalKnight_Brovid HasselsmofGoose!LokarnMillKristmas KthulhuShadowfireadytumGrey GhostMunkus BeaverHappy Little MachineCommander ZoomVegemyteTicaldfjamOghulkWheatBun01LucedesIndie WinterArdolSorceDiarmuidDee KaeKraintCantideLJDouglasBucketman
    I’ll also take joy in the fact this purchase is doing nothing for him but hemorrhaging money because of his own fucking stupid hubris and inability to control himself.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    MaddocTicaldfjamArdolPeenBucketman
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

This is the most carceral ass Safeway I’ve ever been in. Bars everywhere, multiple security guards, you have to scan your receipt for the gate to open in order to exit, and if you don’t buy anything an employee has to open the gate to let you out.

Keep in mind, this is in an “expensive” neighborhood. I can only imagine how grimy it’s about to when they bring the Safeway Prison Program to “the hood.”

Oh look, obstacles to exiting quickly in case of an emergency like earthquakes, or fire, or a mass shooter which will result in a higher body count. Can't imagine that going poorly at all.

mrpakuFCDtynicTynnanasofyeunLadaiMagellKane Red RobeOdinZonugalnever dieKetardurandal4532Goose!Kristmas KthulhuShadowfireDarkPrimusHappy Little MachineDisruptedCapitalistOghulksarukunArdolEinzelDiarmuidCantideBucketman
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I take some small amount of joy in the fact that no matter how much money Elon Musk has, the only thing he truly wants in life is for people to think he is cool and funny

mrpakuHacksawTynnanasofyeunMaddocRhesus PositiveKane Red RobeZonugaldurandal4532ShadowfireCommander ZoomTicaldfjamArdolEinzelDiarmuidBucketman
    tynic wrote: »

I wish we could explain him with 4chan but he was 12 in like 1990

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

Jesus, that's 10 months old

One of the perennial Onion articles

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    EmperorSethOrcaMunkus BeaverCommander ZoomsarukunArdolBucketman
  • LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    tynic wrote: »

I wish we could explain him with 4chan but he was 12 in like 1990

So I actually looked it up and it's even worse than that -- he turned 12 in '83.

Which means the guy was well into his 30s, maybe even his 40s, when his personality congealed into "12-year-old on 4-chan."

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
    BahamutZEROOdinMortal SkytynicArdolhonovereSporkAndrewBucketman
This discussion has been closed.