Options

We'll never be free of [Twitter]'s wretched curse

194959799100

Posts

  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Could have stayed quiet and coast on being the dude who made that famous comic strip. That's what the Garfield dude is doing I think haven't heard anything from him. Sitting pretty on syndication and merchandising.

    BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Garfield has more comedic merit

    Remember when John Arbuckle drank the mug of dog cum?

    That's cutting edge comedy

    Uriel on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    How come the Garfield urinal has not been made and placed in a modern art museum?

    That's what I wanna know.

  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Could have stayed quiet and coast on being the dude who made that famous comic strip. That's what the Garfield dude is doing I think haven't heard anything from him. Sitting pretty on syndication and merchandising.

    He always wanted to be a cult leader though, (cant remember what his weird libertarian fandom club was called, but it definitely leaned that way). I don't think he's constitutionally capable of keeping in the background.

  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I await Ricky Gervais coming to his defense.

    If he were really committed to the bit he’d come out and say he identifies as funny

  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    A thread in which web writer Ryan Broderick attempts to figure out what the mechanics are behind the For You algorithm


    I put together a hypothesis about Twitter's For You algorithm and have used it twice now to get a tweet over 1,000 retweets (which is something I haven't been able to do since last November).

    *Very sad man who pays for Twitter voice* Here’s how I did it…

    Substack version here
    https://www.garbageday.email/p/i-remembered-how-awful-it-is-to-go
    The tweet went nuts overnight. Over 8,000 retweets, millions of “views,” and, immediately, I remembered why going viral on Twitter sucks so bad. Lots of Marvel fans were very angry with me because I’m an older millennial that engages in fandom as a way to critique and discuss topics that interest me, instead of how Gen Z engages with fandom, which is more of a mildly-fascist personality cult you pledge hysterical allegiance to as a way to push it further up a digital leaderboard within the greater online attention economy. But, to be clear, I like the MCU, I’ve marathoned it in one sitting twice all the way through, but I also think it’s sad how the movies no longer feature characters, you know, being characters and interacting with their surroundings. They just stand in empty warehouses and fight on highways and in front of green screens. And how nothing that happens in them has any real impact on the plot because the scripts are being changed constantly up until they hit theaters (and sometimes even after).

    lol get their asses

  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah Garfield is just a business for Jim Davis, but I can't ever think he's said anything like outwardly awful beyond "yep I'm just here to produce something that makes me money."

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I watched "Wag the Dog" long after it first came out, and man, there's a movie that thinks it's being way more clever than it is

    It was released at basically the perfect point in time: Wag the Dog released in December 1997 and had the president stage a war to distract from a sex scandal, and then in January 1998 the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal broke. And then in August Clinton bombed Sudan and Afghanistan three days after testifying to the grand jury that he had, in fact, had sexual relations with that woman.
    If it had been released later it would've been seen as trying to cash in on current events, and if it had been released years earlier it probably would've been somewhat forgotten.

    Like a lot of 90s political comedies, though, it hasn't aged that well and once removed from its political and cultural context the warts stand out.

  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    How come the Garfield urinal has not been made and placed in a modern art museum?

    That's what I wanna know.

    Tim_Robinson_S01E06_17m30s25194f.jpg?w=800

  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Could have stayed quiet and coast on being the dude who made that famous comic strip. That's what the Garfield dude is doing I think haven't heard anything from him. Sitting pretty on syndication and merchandising.

    He always wanted to be a cult leader though, (cant remember what his weird libertarian fandom club was called, but it definitely leaned that way). I don't think he's constitutionally capable of keeping in the background.

    Social media has provided many new opportunities for people who Can't Shut Up to (not) do just that.

  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah Garfield is just a business for Jim Davis, but I can't ever think he's said anything like outwardly awful beyond "yep I'm just here to produce something that makes me money."

    Per past interviews, Jim Davis seems to be an odd sort of genuinely apolitical where he's never thought about politics all that much and just kind of floats along in life, in a way where it's some kind of minor miracle that he hasn't said or done anything outrageously problematic for lack of questioning his own beliefs or privilege

  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah Garfield is just a business for Jim Davis, but I can't ever think he's said anything like outwardly awful beyond "yep I'm just here to produce something that makes me money."

    Per past interviews, Jim Davis seems to be an odd sort of genuinely apolitical where he's never thought about politics all that much and just kind of floats along in life, in a way where it's some kind of minor miracle that he hasn't said or done anything outrageously problematic for lack of questioning his own beliefs or privilege

    yeah like for someone with as much money and potential influence based on name alone he just doesn't exist as a person? Like in either direction. Good, bad, he's literally the garfield of people.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.platformer.news/p/in-latest-round-of-twitter-cuts-some
    Last week, Twitter managers started receiving unexpected calls from Steve Davis. A longtime associate of Elon Musk’s — he began working at SpaceX in 2003 — Davis is currently CEO of The Boring Company. Since loaning himself out to Twitter last year, Davis has emerged as one of Musk’s top lieutenants there.

    Who on your team is exceptional? Davis asked managers when they got on the phone. Who would you bet your job on?

    At first, managers assumed the questions were related to annual bonuses. In January, Musk’s associates told Twitter employees that high performers would receive new stock grants. That hadn’t happened yet. Perhaps now was finally the time?

    On Saturday, though, the real reason for the calls was finally revealed. Twitter employees tried to log onto their work devices only to find that they’d been locked out, just like thousands of workers before them. Once again, there was no warning. If there was a twist here, it’s that the move came three months after Musk told employees that the company was done with layoffs.
    “Honestly, it felt like Elon got drunk and slept on the ‘del’ key on his phone,” a source said. “There is no pattern.”
    Davis’ star has risen steadily since he came to Twitter as part of Musk’s transition team last year. In December, the Information reported that Musk tasked Davis with cutting $500 million in costs; instead, he cut close to $1 billion — all while sleeping in the office with his partner and their newborn child. His success in bringing costs down by any means necessary has led to growing speculation internally that Musk will choose him to be Twitter’s next CEO.

    They actually thought they might get bonuses

  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.platformer.news/p/in-latest-round-of-twitter-cuts-some
    Last week, Twitter managers started receiving unexpected calls from Steve Davis. A longtime associate of Elon Musk’s — he began working at SpaceX in 2003 — Davis is currently CEO of The Boring Company. Since loaning himself out to Twitter last year, Davis has emerged as one of Musk’s top lieutenants there.

    Who on your team is exceptional? Davis asked managers when they got on the phone. Who would you bet your job on?

    At first, managers assumed the questions were related to annual bonuses. In January, Musk’s associates told Twitter employees that high performers would receive new stock grants. That hadn’t happened yet. Perhaps now was finally the time?

    On Saturday, though, the real reason for the calls was finally revealed. Twitter employees tried to log onto their work devices only to find that they’d been locked out, just like thousands of workers before them. Once again, there was no warning. If there was a twist here, it’s that the move came three months after Musk told employees that the company was done with layoffs.
    “Honestly, it felt like Elon got drunk and slept on the ‘del’ key on his phone,” a source said. “There is no pattern.”
    Davis’ star has risen steadily since he came to Twitter as part of Musk’s transition team last year. In December, the Information reported that Musk tasked Davis with cutting $500 million in costs; instead, he cut close to $1 billion — all while sleeping in the office with his partner and their newborn child. His success in bringing costs down by any means necessary has led to growing speculation internally that Musk will choose him to be Twitter’s next CEO.

    They actually thought they might get bonuses

    And the leopards wouldn't eat their faces.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Twitter employees still working there are either trapped for some reason or they are true believers who would happily chug a cup of oddly-tasting Koolaid if Musk told them to do it

  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    .
    Preacher wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah Garfield is just a business for Jim Davis, but I can't ever think he's said anything like outwardly awful beyond "yep I'm just here to produce something that makes me money."

    Per past interviews, Jim Davis seems to be an odd sort of genuinely apolitical where he's never thought about politics all that much and just kind of floats along in life, in a way where it's some kind of minor miracle that he hasn't said or done anything outrageously problematic for lack of questioning his own beliefs or privilege

    yeah like for someone with as much money and potential influence based on name alone he just doesn't exist as a person? Like in either direction. Good, bad, he's literally the garfield of people.

    Bill Watterson went to live in a shack in the woods rather than use his money and potential influence, too.

  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    A part of me is surprised but not actually surprised at the number of non-GMO/ organic/ vegetarian/ vegan people have turned out to be white supremacists.

    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    A part of me is surprised but not actually surprised at the number of non-GMO/ organic/ vegetarian/ vegan people have turned out to be white supremacists.

    Purity
    Of
    Essence

  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Wait

    Elon Musk

    thinks that Scott "one of my main characters is a boss whose only real character trait is being a terrible boss" Adams' comic is funny.

    Yeah that tracks.

    Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    A part of me is surprised but not actually surprised at the number of non-GMO/ organic/ vegetarian/ vegan people have turned out to be white supremacists.

    Oh, trust me. It’s the worst thing about being vegan. Find a chef, or a new small vegan food company, or a new restaurant? Remember to set aside plenty of time to suss out whether they’re actually completely insane, white supremacists, etc.

    minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    LokarnLokarn Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Wait

    Elon Musk

    thinks that Scott "one of my main characters is a boss whose only real character trait is being a terrible boss" Adams' comic is funny.

    Yeah that tracks.

    Everyone thinks that they are the put-upon underdog in their own story. In Musk's case he probably also thinks of himself as an engineer like Dilbert rather than the boss.

  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Lokarn wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Wait

    Elon Musk

    thinks that Scott "one of my main characters is a boss whose only real character trait is being a terrible boss" Adams' comic is funny.

    Yeah that tracks.

    Everyone thinks that they are the put-upon underdog in their own story. In Musk's case he probably also thinks of himself as an engineer like Dilbert rather than the boss.

    obviously the boss is all the woke idiots who won't laugh at his awesome jokes

    KalTorak on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Every time someone mentions Garfield all I can think of is this work of art: https://youtu.be/O2C5R3FOWdE

    And then I notice Garfield fucking EVERYWHERE for a week until it fades into the background.

  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I also hate mondays

  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Still believe that Silent Garfield is funnier than Garfield Minus Garfield.

  • Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    I also hate mondays

    Thursdays are where it's at

  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Could have stayed quiet and coast on being the dude who made that famous comic strip. That's what the Garfield dude is doing I think haven't heard anything from him. Sitting pretty on syndication and merchandising.

    He always wanted to be a cult leader though, (cant remember what his weird libertarian fandom club was called, but it definitely leaned that way). I don't think he's constitutionally capable of keeping in the background.

    Dogbert's New Ruling Class!
    I mean, yeah, who remembers that shit?

    mkc.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Could have stayed quiet and coast on being the dude who made that famous comic strip. That's what the Garfield dude is doing I think haven't heard anything from him. Sitting pretty on syndication and merchandising.

    He always wanted to be a cult leader though, (cant remember what his weird libertarian fandom club was called, but it definitely leaned that way). I don't think he's constitutionally capable of keeping in the background.

    Dogbert's New Ruling Class!
    I mean, yeah, who remembers that shit?

    cripes, seriously?
    well that one should probably have set off some red flags earlier

  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    Who among us hasn't started a faux fascist movement newsletter based on a low-effort comic strip and then over the next 25 or so years become an actual raging fascist?

    mkc.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

    Begging people to pay attention to what Governor DeSantis is proposing to do to immigrants.

    Under his new plan, a mom who drove her undocumented kid to school could be guilty of a second degree felony (same as vehicular homicide) and could be sentenced to 15 years in prison.

    Here's the grand jury recommendations Governor DeSantis is citing.

    Under this proposal, a mom or a dad driving their undocumented kid to school could be sent to prison for 15 years.

    If a school bus driver knew a kid was undocumented, this law would make them a felon too!

    This proposed text (which may change when the bill is introduced) is so broad that even an ambulance driver taking a person they think is undocumented to the hospital would be committing a felony.

    There are no exceptions. Know they're undocumented and give them a ride? Felony.

    There is a federal crime of "transporting" an undocumented immigrant. But crucially, that law requires that the transportation be "in furtherance of [their] violation of law"—aka smuggling.

    The grand jury recommendation DeSantis says he wants to pass into law has no such limit.

    The language from the grand jury recommendations actually REQUIRES that anyone arrested for "transporting" an undocumented immigrant (even their own children or spouse) be held in jail without release prior to their first appearance in front of a judge.

    This is fucking insanity but since when has that ever stopped white supremacists?

  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Does that include everyone involved in deporting/transporting them to other states or countries on behalf of the government who wants to be rid of them?

    (hahaha, what do you think?)

  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    These days it's less "inching closer to fascism" and more like "walking at a leisurely stroll towards fascism"

  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Does this apply to, like, farm owners and factory owners that employ illegal immigrants?

    Because they are the one guilty or encouraging undocumented immigration and they are the ones profiting from it. And they are the only ones that have enough campaign contributions to stop desantis.

    Is there a possible silver lining here, or am I imagining things?

  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Does this apply to, like, farm owners and factory owners that employ illegal immigrants?

    Because they are the one guilty or encouraging undocumented immigration and they are the ones profiting from it. And they are the only ones that have enough campaign contributions to stop desantis.

    Is there a possible silver lining here, or am I imagining things?

    Those people have always been violating the law when it comes to undocumented immigration. It won't count for them.

    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Does this apply to, like, farm owners and factory owners that employ illegal immigrants?

    Because they are the one guilty or encouraging undocumented immigration and they are the ones profiting from it. And they are the only ones that have enough campaign contributions to stop desantis.

    Is there a possible silver lining here, or am I imagining things?

    Those people have always been violating the law when it comes to undocumented immigration. It won't count for them.

    But, like, Tyson meat processing, versus a random dude driving a bus full of school kids? Which one is very obviously more culpable?

    Oh, now I made myself sad.

    'murica

    Burtletoy on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Does this apply to, like, farm owners and factory owners that employ illegal immigrants?

    Because they are the one guilty or encouraging undocumented immigration and they are the ones profiting from it. And they are the only ones that have enough campaign contributions to stop desantis.

    Is there a possible silver lining here, or am I imagining things?

    Those people have always been violating the law when it comes to undocumented immigration. It won't count for them.

    But, like, Tyson meat processing, versus a random dude driving a bus full of school kids? Which one is very obviously more culpable?

    Oh, now I made myself sad.

    'murica

    It's illegal to employ people who don't have a legal right to work in the US. They have always been criminals. They employ thousands compared to one individual living here illegally. They've always been the most culpable. They often call ICE on troublesome workers and suffer no consequences themselves.

    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Does this apply to, like, farm owners and factory owners that employ illegal immigrants?

    Because they are the one guilty or encouraging undocumented immigration and they are the ones profiting from it. And they are the only ones that have enough campaign contributions to stop desantis.

    Is there a possible silver lining here, or am I imagining things?

    Those people have always been violating the law when it comes to undocumented immigration. It won't count for them.

    But, like, Tyson meat processing, versus a random dude driving a bus full of school kids? Which one is very obviously more culpable?

    Oh, now I made myself sad.

    'murica

    Well one is trying to take them to receive an education, and the other is ruthlessly exploiting their vulnerability for their own profit, so a true American will of course know which one is the evil doer

  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    DeSantis's open goal is fascism considering everything he has done, is doing, and wants to do is textbook fascism.

    News today was that yes he is taking over Disney's special tax zone (one of hundreds in Florida so it's not THAT special) and changing the law so he can personally appoint all the members of the five person board that oversees it. Cue five wingnuts ranging from a CEO to one of those "Patriot" mothers people. Senate still has to confirm them but let's be honest they absolutely will.

    He knows what he's doing and that's what makes him terrifying to watch as he is also angling for the Presidency in the near future.

This discussion has been closed.